Speculation: What to do when the Balls fall our way?

What to do w/ 1OA?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
A 70 point center playing between Anders Lee and Jordan Eberle, not Lafreniere and Fiala.
That's still not close to an $11M player. And certainly isn't worth losing 4 first rounders for the chance to overpay him that badly.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
That trade is a no-brainer. Being afraid of being able to re-sign players is ridiculous. Minnesota with Barkov is a top 3 team in the West. Re-signing him would not be an issue.

I don't disagree with your other points, but we have no idea if it would or wouldn't be an issue. We can play the what if game all day right? Like, what if Laf goes on to become a 90+ point player every year. Likewise, what if he is nothing more than a 50 points guy? Not too bad but Barkov would be better. But, what if Barkov says screw this, I want to play in NYC or LA? I want to test free agency. It's a crap shoot. And if Laf ends up the player they think he will be and we trade him for Barkov and Barkov goes elsewhere, we don't have Laf and we don't have our #1 center. We look like idiots.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
It's about 250%. If you're willing to give up your next 4 first rounders, you should be able to find much better deals than Matt Barzal at $11M per
Exactly. We all might be desperate for a center, but not a 4- firsts for a Matt Barzal deal.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's about 250%. If you're willing to give up your next 4 first rounders, you should be able to find much better deals than Matt Barzal at $11M per

I'm not sure what that converts to. Barzal is only worth 2 1st round picks and $7M a year?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't disagree with your other points, but we have no idea if it would or wouldn't be an issue. We can play the what if game all day right? Like, what if Laf goes on to become a 90+ point player every year. Likewise, what if he is nothing more than a 50 points guy? Not too bad but Barkov would be better. But, what if Barkov says screw this, I want to play in NYC or LA? I want to test free agency. It's a crap shoot. And if Laf ends up the player they think he will be and we trade him for Barkov and Barkov goes elsewhere, we don't have Laf and we don't have our #1 center. We look like idiots.
I agree with pretty much all of this other than you would never look like an idiot by trading for one of the best players in the world. Especially when you're doing it at a discount. There's a risk/reward in anything. Barkov for 1st overall would slant the risk/reward in Minnesota's favor. By a lot IMO.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The 8th year would be an asset in any hypothetical contract extension talks with Barkov, but it would be the most Minnesota thing ever to trade the #1 overall pick for a guy and then have to trade that guy for something like 2 lottery protected 1st round picks a year later.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The 8th year would be an asset in any hypothetical contract extension talks with Barkov, but it would be the most Minnesota thing ever to trade the #1 overall pick for a guy and then have to trade that guy for something like 2 lottery protected 1st round picks a year later.
There's a reason 1st overall rarely gets traded. The risk involved in trading is rarely worth the reward in keeping it.

The cost would be franchise crippling if the risk fails. The rewards of keeping is likely franchise altering in a positive sense.

A bird in hand so to speak... unless someone wows you ala Lindros/ Forsberg, you're more likely better off keeping the player in this case.

Not every year is that way, but in down years for 1st overall, you generally wouldn't get an offer good enough in the first place either.

Laf is definitely a sure thing prospect even if short of generational. I'll gladly take the MacKinnon level player and move on and enjoy watching him play for the next decade.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Watching us fail with all that wing talent for a decade cause we got no dang centers to throw between them lol.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Which 1st's? There is a big difference between a #1 oa and #31 oa. I've always thought the offer sheet compensation package favors the better teams, who have the lower, and therefore less valuable, picks.

I'd gladly give up a 20 oa, 25 oa, 29 oa and 18 oa for Barzal. 4 picks in the lottery, not so much.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm not sure what that converts to. Barzal is only worth 2 1st round picks and $7M a year?
Matt Barzal has 122 points over the past 2 seasons
Max Domi has 116
RNH has 130
Dylan Strome has 95

I will let you figure out the math on the ridiculousness factor

Reactions: Nsjohnson

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
There's a reason 1st overall rarely gets traded. The risk involved in trading is rarely worth the reward in keeping it.

The cost would be franchise crippling if the risk fails. The rewards of keeping is likely franchise altering in a positive sense.

A bird in hand so to speak... unless someone wows you ala Lindros/ Forsberg, you're more likely better off keeping the player in this case.

Not every year is that way, but in down years for 1st overall, you generally wouldn't get an offer good enough in the first place either.

Laf is definitely a sure thing prospect even if short of generational. I'll gladly take the MacKinnon level player and move on and enjoy watching him play for the next decade.
Thinking that you're guaranteed to get a Mackinnon level player out of Lafreniere isn't smart.

Edmonton had 3 straight #1 overall picks that they would've been much better off trading instead of taking.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Thinking that you're guaranteed to get a Mackinnon level player out of Lafreniere isn't smart.

Edmonton had 3 straight #1 overall picks that they would've been much better off trading instead of taking.
And Laf is considered better than all 3 of them were at the time of their draft.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
And Laf is considered better than all 3 of them were at the time of their draft.
That doesn't mean shit, when you're guaranteeing that Lafreniere will be a top 5 player in the world

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm guaranteeing he'll end up in the ballpark.
That doesn't mean shit either. More than a few people guaranteed that Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Yakupov would be the best players from their drafts as well.

My point isn't that I think Lafreniere will bust. My point is that anyone that thinks it's too risky to trade a #1 overall for a guy like Barkov, certainly needs to also consider the risk that Lafreniere doesn't end up being as good as advertised. Thinking that the #1 overall pick is a guaranteed sure thing is a really bad idea.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That doesn't mean shit either. More than a few people guaranteed that Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Yakupov would be the best players from their drafts as well.

My point isn't that I think Lafreniere will bust. My point is that anyone that thinks it's too risky to trade a #1 overall for a guy like Barkov, certainly needs to also consider the risk that Lafreniere doesn't end up being as good as advertised. Thinking that the #1 overall pick is a guaranteed sure thing is a really bad idea.
The risk is much lower with Laf not being as good as advertised than Barkov moving on in free agency.

Barkov has no ties to Minnesota at all, and may very likely want to shop his services being so close to free agency. Players love the idea of choosing where they want to play.

Laf isn't generational, but he's in that tier just below, that rarely misses. The odds are very low that he doesn't live up to the billing.

You're more than welcome to your opinion that you'd rather trade, but I just think the risk/ reward factor lies heavily in favor of keeping the pick and drafting Laf if it came down to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille