Speculation: What to do when the Balls fall our way?

What to do w/ 1OA?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
A deal with Buffalo.

Either trade 1st overall+Dumba+Greenway for Eichel

Or trade Dumba+Staal+Greenway+Donato for Cozens

Maybe even throw in Zucc for Okposo as a optional side swap to either deal.

Sabres will do something big soon (probably gearing up for playoffs).

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
  1. Trade for Eichel (can’t wrap my head around how that would work.)
  2. Trade for Barkov (#1OA and Brodin gets it done IMO.)
  3. Draft Laf
  4. Trade for #2 and good LA prospect, draft Byfield.
  5. Trade for #3 and #5
I think Eichel is too far out of the realm of what is possible. However if you can get him without blowing a massive hole in organization, you do it. I do think you could likely get Barkov for the 1OA plus Brodin. That would test the depth of NHL level defense on the team not only next year but going forward but that’s probably a deal you need to make.

To me, barring an available trade for a true number one center you make the pick at one and move on. Thank your lucky stars for some good luck for once.

If you really want to move around at the draft, trading with LA to see what type of prospect they would kick in to get Laf would be more interesting than moving for #3 and #5.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
You simply can't trade the #1 for Barkov because of the contract status. Eichel sure, but not Barkov. He only has 2 years left. You can't make a trade like that. Florida would have to add massively.

But there's at least 4 good options. Trade for Eichel is the best but probably the most unlikely one. Other options are keeping the pick or making a trade with Ottawa or LA. Not really sure which I'd go with. It's a tough one. And I'm sure other teams would put packages with intriguing pieces together as well.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I voted to draft Laf, but I honestly don't know. 3 and 5 is tempting. Getting Eichel would be super tempting, too, and I think I'd have to do that instead, but I really don't think Buffalo would do that deal. Barkov is also an interesting idea, but I'm not sure I'd trade Lafreniere for him, given how good I think the kid will end up being. To sum up my thinking: trading him to get a center or two in the draft could be a great idea, but it's also a big risk. Eichel is not a risk, nor a drop in talent, but also is probably not going to happen because of that fact. Barkov interests me greatly, but not at the price of 1st overall.

As I think more about it.... maybe putting all your eggs in one basket by drafting Lafreniere is a bigger risk than drafting two centers and hoping one pans out. I don't know. Good thread, tough question.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You simply can't trade the #1 for Barkov because of the contract status. Eichel sure, but not Barkov. He only has 2 years left. You can't make a trade like that. Florida would have to add massively.

But there's at least 4 good options. Trade for Eichel is the best but probably the most unlikely one. Other options are keeping the pick or making a trade with Ottawa or LA. Not really sure which I'd go with. It's a tough one. And I'm sure other teams would put packages with intriguing pieces together as well.
The contract is the only thing that makes it even thinkable that you could get a guy like Barkov for #1 overall. You make that trade in a heartbeat. The Wild are instant cup contenders with that trade. You would still have 2 full years to show Barkov that Minnesota is a team/city where he wants to play the rest of his career.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
The contract is the only thing that makes it even thinkable that you could get a guy like Barkov for #1 overall. You make that trade in a heartbeat. The Wild are instant cup contenders with that trade. You would still have 2 full years to show Barkov that Minnesota is a team/city where he wants to play the rest of his career.
No. Trading Lafreniere for 2 years of Barkov would be a franchise crippling disaster. You can't take that risk. It's not like having Lafreniere in the roster wouldn't elevate the team massively so you still win, you'd just win for a decade rather than 2 seasons.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
The only way the pick is being moved is if it’s for Eichel. GM’s don’t deal in high risk trades and the other options put both GM’s jobs at unprecedented risk.

We can deal in hypotheticals all we want but the pick isn’t getting moved unless it’s for Eichel.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
No. Trading Lafreniere for 2 years of Barkov would be a franchise crippling disaster. You can't take that risk. It's not like having Lafraniere in the roster wouldn't elevate the team massively so you still win, you'd just win for a decade rather than 2 seasons.
That trade is a no-brainer. Being afraid of being able to re-sign players is ridiculous. Minnesota with Barkov is a top 3 team in the West. Re-signing him would not be an issue.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
That trade is a no-brainer. Being afraid of being able to re-sign players is ridiculous. Minnesota with Barkov is a top 3 team in the West. Re-signing him would not be an issue.
Maybe the idea of being able to pick whichever team he wants is enticing to him. I don’t think it’s a slam-dunk by any means that he resigns. There’s definitely a good chance, but no GM makes that trade for only 2 garaunteed years.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Maybe the idea of being able to pick whichever team he wants is enticing to him. I don’t think it’s a slam-dunk by any means that he resigns. There’s definitely a good chance, but no GM makes that trade for only 2 garaunteed years.
Maybe Lafreniere busts. Maybe Lafreniere only ends up being a PPG player. If you can get a 24 year old top 5 player in the NHL for a draft pick? Yeah, that's a no-brainer.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Obviously nothing is guaranteed but a combo of Rossi/Stutzle/Byfield/Raymond is hard pressed not to get more excited about imo. We then have alot of players we can move for more futures or big splash to make room.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Take Lafreniere
Offer sheet Barzal for however many years at $11M
Trade Dumba for a 1st+ or Dumba + Rask for a 1st (we already have Pittsburgh's so that's only a net loss of 2 1sts)
Trade Greenway to Arizona for Raanta + 2nd

Lafreniere - Barzal - Fiala
Kaprizov - Staal - Zuccarello (Boldy - Khovanov - Kaprizov in 2 years)
Parise - Eriksson Ek - Kunin (if Parise is still around, probably trade JEE after the season and give Sturm 3C)

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
$11m and 4 first round picks for a 60-70 point center that can't play defense? Seems pretty bold to me

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Take Lafreniere
Offer sheet Barzal for however many years at $11M
Trade Dumba for a 1st+ or Dumba + Rask for a 1st (we already have Pittsburgh's so that's only a net loss of 2 1sts)
Trade Greenway to Arizona for Raanta + 2nd

Lafreniere - Barzal - Fiala
Kaprizov - Staal - Zuccarello (Boldy - Khovanov - Kaprizov in 2 years)
Parise - Eriksson Ek - Kunin (if Parise is still around, probably trade JEE after the season and give Sturm 3C)
Can’t imagine we could afford Lafreniere, Barzal, Fiala, and Kaprizov for very long.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

16thOverallSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Just need to pinch pennies on the 3rd line probably, and the bottom 3 D. It'd be a heck of a fun 3 years though.

Just need to cycle a couple of ELC's through those four in the top 6.
Would be fun. ELCs going forward would be ultra important

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad