Speculation: What to do when the Balls fall our way?

What to do w/ 1OA?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
That doesn't mean shit either. More than a few people guaranteed that Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Yakupov would be the best players from their drafts as well.

My point isn't that I think Lafreniere will bust. My point is that anyone that thinks it's too risky to trade a #1 overall for a guy like Barkov, certainly needs to also consider the risk that Lafreniere doesn't end up being as good as advertised. Thinking that the #1 overall pick is a guaranteed sure thing is a really bad idea.
Would you trade Lafreniere for Barkov with 1 year left on his contract without an extension in place?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Would you trade Lafreniere for Barkov with 1 year left on his contract without an extension in place?
No, because if it was at that point the extension would be in place before the trade went through. The question doesn't really work.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
You do realize that Matt Barzal is a low end 1st line center correct? You're treating him like he's a top 10-20 player in the league.

That must be why he's 16th in the league in P/60 amongst centers in his 3 years in the league, ahead of Barkov, Scheifele, Monahan, Backstrom and Zibanejad, and barely behind Eichel. And, yes, I know, defense and stuff.

I think he'd be a lot closer to his 85 point self than his 60 point self with the wingers that we'd put him with.

And since you brought him up, not sure if in this thread or a different one, I'd much rather pay 4 1sts to pay 23 year old Barzal $11M for the next 7 years than I would a 1st + Addison to pay 31 year old Couture $8M for the next 7 years.

And before we get too serious about it, it's just a half-assed idea that I threw out there.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That doesn't mean shit either. More than a few people guaranteed that Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, and Yakupov would be the best players from their drafts as well.

My point isn't that I think Lafreniere will bust. My point is that anyone that thinks it's too risky to trade a #1 overall for a guy like Barkov, certainly needs to also consider the risk that Lafreniere doesn't end up being as good as advertised. Thinking that the #1 overall pick is a guaranteed sure thing is a really bad idea.

You keep bringing up prospects or players that weren't even in the same realm as Lafreniere pre draft.

In terms of pre draft value, Lafreniere is talked about in the same breath as MacKinnon, Matthews, Dahlin. And that's by scouts, analysts and NHL executives. RNH, Yakupov, Hall were not.

Of course you can't guarantee anything, but he's as close as it gets.

Reactions: TaLoN

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That must be why he's 16th in the league in P/60 amongst centers in his 3 years in the league, ahead of Barkov, Scheifele, Monahan, Backstrom and Zibanejad, and barely behind Eichel. And, yes, I know, defense and stuff.

I think he'd be a lot closer to his 85 point self than his 60 point self with the wingers that we'd put him with.

And since you brought him up, not sure if in this thread or a different one, I'd much rather pay 4 1sts to pay 23 year old Barzal $11M for the next 7 years than I would a 1st + Addison to pay 31 year old Couture $8M for the next 7 years.

And before we get too serious about it, it's just a half-assed idea that I threw out there.
Couture is a much better player than Barzal. But I think you knew that

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You keep bringing up prospects or players that weren't even in the same realm as Lafreniere pre draft.

In terms of pre draft value, Lafreniere is talked about in the same breath as MacKinnon, Matthews, Dahlin. And that's by scouts, analysts and NHL executives. RNH, Yakupov, Hall were not.

Of course you can't guarantee anything, but he's as close as it gets.
You're lying to yourself if you don't think Yakupov was in that regard

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He absolutely was not. You aren't paying attention if you think Yakupov had more hype and was considered a safer pick than Lafreniere is.
You can say it as much as you like. You're still wrong

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
No, because if it was at that point the extension would be in place before the trade went through. The question doesn't really work.
Hypothetically, let’s say that Barkov has 1 year left on his contract and the draft was at its normal time, June 26th. Florida calls you and offers you Barkov for 1OA. You don’t have time to talk an extension. Do you do it?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He might've been over the last 3 years. The next 5-7? I'd have serious doubts.
That's fair, but then the price for each isn't the same either. At the price you're offering for Barzal, you need to be more than sure you're getting a tt minimum a top 10 center in the World. Not much chance Barzal is ever that. I'm not even sure I would want to trade for Couture and his contract, but I do know that there's no chance in hell that I pay $11M and 4 first round picks for Barzal.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Hypothetically, let’s say that Barkov has 1 year left on his contract and the draft was at its normal time, June 26th. Florida calls you and offers you Barkov for 1OA. You don’t have time to talk an extension. Do you do it?
I'm smart enough to have already had that conversation. I would certainly hope that Guerin is as well. Can we be done with the stupid questions now?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Thanks.

If Bill Guerin is any good at his job, he already has a short list of trades he would even consider for the 1st overall. If he happens to win the lottery, by the time he goes to bed tomorrow night he will know if any of those options are even worth discussing further. There's just no chance a competent GM gets hit with the kind of hypothetical that you're trying to conjure.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That's fair, but then the price for each isn't the same either. At the price you're offering for Barzal, you need to be more than sure you're getting a tt minimum a top 10 center in the World. Not much chance Barzal is ever that. I'm not even sure I would want to trade for Couture and his contract, but I do know that there's no chance in hell that I pay $11M and 4 first round picks for Barzal.

The $11M is steep, no doubt about that. The 1st rounders I'm less concerned about. We're already sitting with an extra one from Pittsburgh. We could get another one with a Dumba trade. Then you cycle guys like Boldy and Khovanov through the top 6, pump up their value, and turn them into 1sts. Repeat.

Our "core" for the next 5 years is:

Lafreniere - Barzal - X
Kaprizov - X - Fiala
X - Eriksson Ek - X

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - X

Kahkonen/X

Just cycle young players and value vets through the X's.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The $11M is steep, no doubt about that. The 1st rounders I'm less concerned about. We're already sitting with an extra one from Pittsburgh. We could get another one with a Dumba trade. Then you cycle guys like Boldy and Khovanov through the top 6, pump up their value, and turn them into 1sts. Repeat.

Our "core" for the next 5 years is:

Lafreniere - Barzal - X
Kaprizov - X - Fiala
X - Eriksson Ek - X

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - X

Kahkonen/X

Just cycle young players and value vets through the X's.
I don't really see how removing Dumba and 4 first round picks for a severely overpaid Barzal makes any of that better?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Changed my vote to Lafreniere. He is the sort of player that makes everyone around him better. Not only a great scorer, but a great passer. Put him with a talent like Fiala(or Kaprizov, hopefully), and you can get away with a more pedestrian C who takes care of things defensively. He also had good chemistry with Addison at the WJC on the PP, but i think he's the sort of guy who is so smart that he will be able to mesh with all but the worst players.

Reactions: TaLoN and a79krgm

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I voted for drafting Lafreniere. Any of the picks can miss, or hit crazy hard if we pass. We’ve failed with lower picks and established stars plenty already. Let’s get f***ed up straight from the cow’s titty.

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I think Lafreniere is already a better player than RNH, Ekblad, and Hischier. Wouldn’t be surprised for him to have better years than all of them next year.

Reactions: TaLoN

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The only slight hole in his game is skating, but he's got the shot, great vision and passing, is strong and reasonably big. More than anything, though, he's got that aura of greatness around him, I think, and he seems to have it consistently, not just once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->