Speculation: What to do when the Balls fall our way?

What to do w/ 1OA?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Funny this has been asked, I’m not a Wild fan but I’ve enjoyed watching Fiala and have followed Kaprizov closely over the years as he’s developed. I was looking at the roster and even with other guys like Firstov and Khovanov, they’re all left handed. And you guys need a centre bad. I think Khovanov could be a nice number 2 centre but a top line centre is needed. But then again I think Lafreniere is going to be a star. I think either Fiala or Kaprizov can play the right side and with Lafreniere’s passing, he’s a perfect linemate for Fiala and you wouldn’t need a star centre. But then you need a top guy to go with Kaprizov so you can have 2 solid scoring lines. Or hope Khovanov and Kunin can be those guys and form the KKK line. Yikes.

Lafreniere XX Fiala
Kaprizov Khovanov Kunin
Firstov Beckman
Greenway

Foligno, Eriksson Ek, Donato, Beckman, Firstov...all these guys shoot left! It’s nuts. That said I’d have a tough time not drafting Lafreniere.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If all 4 of those options are on the table, my order is:

1. Trade for Eichel
2. Draft Lafreniere
3. Trade for Barkov
4. Trade for #3 and #5

I don't think Eichel will be on the table unless he demands it.

Just take him.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
My preference would be trade it for Barkov or Eichel, but I don't think either of those are realistically going to be options and I'm on board with just taking him at this point.

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Eichel and Barkov would cost the 1st +, or the 1st ++. Something like Brodin and JEE/Khovanov. If we could include Zuccarello in the deal(for Eichel...we need to send cap back) you'd have to think about it.

I voted OTT #3 and #5, though would be content with Laff, who seems to be a sure thing. The draft has been littered with #3 and #5 picks who haven't worked out, but were hyped pre draft. #1's less so. I'm pretty sure that Laf is not the next Yak, or even RNH.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I would trade for Barkov or Eichel absolutely, I just don't think we could.

They are known stars, they are always worth trading 1OA. I think Laf will have a great career, but we already know Barkov and Eichel are elite.

That said, it IS tempting to take 3 and 5. You have to think they would become good players, but if you go back in time and look, there are many 3-6 picks that don't become the same great players they were in juniors.

So, maybe you have to do either trade for Barkov or Eichel, which 99% won't happen, or take Laf, who has the best shot at becoming a superstar, and hope that you can swing Dumba + Greenway + etc etc, whatever, for someone who can play center at a high level and hope that we have a diamond in the rough in the system too.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
I'm really starting to believe that Eichel and Barkov aren't going anywhere. That being said, you draft Lafreniere because he's the surest thing to being a star player. 3 and 5 (if value is even accurate) would be intriguing, but I don't think I'd do it--out of risk and weak year for dmen. He'd also be perfect with Fiala or KK.

The Athletic came out with an article a while back that involved NHL execs and rated the past number one overall picks (at the time of the draft/hype) and it went McDavid (generational), Matthews, Mackinnon, Dahlin, then Lafreniere.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Thought this would be an obvious Lafrienere pick clicking into the thread, but there's merit to the other options here. Wonder if Barkov/Eichel would even be on the table with a starting point of #1OA.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'm really starting to believe that Eichel and Barkov aren't going anywhere. That being said, you draft Lafreniere because he's the surest thing to being a star player. 3 and 5 (if value is even accurate) would be intriguing, but I don't think I'd do it--out of risk and weak year for dmen. He'd also be perfect with Fiala or KK.

The Athletic came out with an article a while back that involved NHL execs and rated the past number one overall picks (at the time of the draft/hype) and it went McDavid (generational), Matthews, Mackinnon, Dahlin, then Lafreniere.
I actually looked back at that article this morning. I believe the premise was drafting all of those players right now, not at the time of their respective drafts.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I would love to have #3 + #5 in this draft if happened organically. Trading out of #1 to do it gives me the shakes.
#1 for #3 and #5. Take Byfield/Stutzle at #3. Trade #5 to Jersey for #7 and #20. Jersey gets Drysdale, Minnesota takes one of Lundell/Rossi at #7 and Zary at #20. Center problem solved in 5 minutes of work

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I'd love to get Eichel or Barkov for 1st overall, but I don't expect FLA or BUF want to do that trade. If they did, in order:

Trade for Eichel
Trade for Barkov
#3+#5
Draft Lafreniere

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
You're not getting Barkov or Eichel but the 3rd and 5th is interesting. Ottawa has a lot of potential scoring line forwards. Minnesota has 3 - Boldy, Karpizov and Fiala. Adding a Byfield and Rossi might be attactive.
Florida would have to make that trade. Barkov is as good as gone in 2 years

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
#1 for #3 and #5. Take Byfield/Stutzle at #3. Trade #5 to Jersey for #7 and #20. Jersey gets Drysdale, Minnesota takes one of Lundell/Rossi at #7 and Zary at #20. Center problem solved in 5 minutes of work
If it were that easy :(

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Getting a combo at 3 and 5 with rossi could also be just as franchise changing as getting either just 1 of the 3 players mentioned in the alternatives imo.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I don’t think 3 and 5 is on the table, most guys at this point have differing opinions on 2. Ottawa is happy to take 2 good players at 3 and 5.

Barkov isn’t going to move, their big 3 needs better insulation but they can lead them to the promise land if someone can pickup the pieces.

Eichel would be great but he’s not going to be moved for just Lafreniere and frankly we aren’t good enough to win with just him. Suter and Parise contracts are becoming handicaps, Zuccarello is getting older, and then Dubnyk and Rask...

Better off to try around Lafreniere than Eichel given that it will take 2-4 years to really shape the team. Would rather not burn Eichel’s prime years while the current big guns become dead weight.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don’t think 3 and 5 is on the table, most guys at this point have differing opinions on 2. Ottawa is happy to take 2 good players at 3 and 5.

Barkov isn’t going to move, their big 3 needs better insulation but they can lead them to the promise land if someone can pickup the pieces.

Eichel would be great but he’s not going to be moved for just Lafreniere and frankly we aren’t good enough to win with just him. Suter and Parise contracts are becoming handicaps, Zuccarello is getting older, and then Dubnyk and Rask...

Better off to try around Lafreniere than Eichel given that it will take 2-4 years to really shape the team. Would rather not burn Eichel’s prime years while the current big guns become dead weight.
If someone offers the 1st overall to Florida for Barkov, I would bet my house that they take that deal.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
It's all actually plausible. Might require the Wild throwing a 2nd rounder or Donato level player here or there.:dunno:
I don’t think Ottawa would move, but yeah it’s all hypothetical and who knows what Dorion actually wants

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don’t think Ottawa would move, but yeah it’s all hypothetical and who knows what Dorion actually wants
Dorian wants a ultra marketable player that’s going to sell tickets even if the team is bad. I do think he would strongly consider 1 for 3 + 5 and some of the Senator’s fans I’ve talked to share that sentiment. Eichel is the one that is more of a fantasy.

I really think Lafreniere will be great though. Kane-level player is definitely plausible

Last edited:

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Dorian wants a ultra marketable player that’s going to sell tickets even if the team is bad. I do think he would strongly consider 1 for 3 + 5 and some of the Senator’s fans I’ve talked to share that sentiment. Eichel is the one that is more of a fantasy.

I really think Lafreniere will be great though. Kane-love player is definitely plausible
I think you and I are on the same page about Lafreniere, and that’s why I won’t complain at all if we don’t consider trading the pick if we win.

One in the hand or two in the bush.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
-Draft Lafreniere
-Play Dubnyk next year
-Draft Aatu Räty
-Draft Luke Hughes (Pittsburgh falls off a cliff, we get second top 10 pick)
-Promote Kahkonen to NHL starter
-Profit
-???

Reactions: nstarjim
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad