Line Combos: What the lineup should be next game

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I don't know what the metrics say, but seemed like Drouin emerged as a better centre playing with Gallagher, after the Plekanec trade. Away from Galchenyuk and Patches. Domi can play the centre position. Faceoffs are his biggest weakness. I'd like to see a bit Drouin/Domi together, with Gallagher mucking. Drouin is too young to right off as a centre. Nathan Mackinnon, his former teammate, only had his breakthrough last season, with more time at the position.

Depth chart is probably

Drouin
Danault
Plekanec
Peca
DLR
Chaput
Froese

The biggest upgrade is at the bottom. Look forward to seeing Chaput in the Tricolore.

Peca gets a chance to be a regular grinder, carve out a career.

no, no he is not. He lacks EVERY attribute one looks for in a center. he is not now, never was and NEVER WILL BE a NHL Center. How this can STILL be debated eludes me.

drouin, not a center. And the comparison to Mackinnon is lol's.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I don't know what the metrics say, but seemed like Drouin emerged as a better centre playing with Gallagher, after the Plekanec trade. Away from Galchenyuk and Patches. Domi can play the centre position. Faceoffs are his biggest weakness. I'd like to see a bit Drouin/Domi together, with Gallagher mucking. Drouin is too young to right off as a centre. Nathan Mackinnon, his former teammate, only had his breakthrough last season, with more time at the position.

Can't really compare the two players. MacKinnon has been a center all of his career, and, outside of last year, Drouin only played center in his last year with Halifax.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Can't really compare the two players. MacKinnon has been a center all of his career, and, outside of last year, Drouin only played center in his last year with Halifax.
you say to-MAY -to, I say to-MAH-to

one of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
no, no he is not. He lacks EVERY attribute one looks for in a center. he is not now, never was and NEVER WILL BE a NHL Center. How this can STILL be debated eludes me.

Never say never. Drouin lacks strength to be a center but he does have the skating and vision. My problem is he bails or tries to force a play when there is less time and space. A good center dishes the puck in a safe location when he knows he is going to run out of space. Or he pushes the puck along the boards and follows behind it. Drouin is not strong enough to fulfill this part of the center responsibility. He also is not good on faceoffs.

I agree Drouin is not an ideal center and wing is better. I think everyone agrees with this (even Bergevin). However, we have what we have and it might mean Drouin still at center for now. Will he improve, stay the same, or get worse? It's anybodies guess but I think this kid has pride and will work at improving. It's not out of the question that he can't improve in this role as he matures as a NHL player heading towards his mid 20's.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Depth chart is probably

Drouin
Danault
Plekanec
Peca
DLR
Chaput
Froese

The biggest upgrade is at the bottom. Look forward to seeing Chaput in the Tricolore.

Peca gets a chance to be a regular grinder, carve out a career.

I'm not sure that has much to do with Drouin to be honest. By all accounts Drouin was a bigger drag on Pacioretty than vice versa and Chucky and Drouin were both better away from eachother.

As for Gallagher, he's one of the best possession-driving, chance creating wingers in the NHL and his offense has long been underrated for lack of opportunity. If I had to bet, Drouin looking better with Gallagher was because everybody looks better with Gallagher.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Never say never. Drouin lacks strength to be a center but he does have the skating and vision. My problem is he bails or tries to force a play when there is less time and space. A good center dishes the puck in a safe location when he knows he is going to run out of space. Or he pushes the puck along the boards and follows behind it. Drouin is not strong enough to fulfill this part of the center responsibility. He also is not good on faceoffs.

I agree Drouin is not an ideal center and wing is better. I think everyone agrees with this (even Bergevin). However, we have what we have and it might mean Drouin still at center for now. Will he improve, stay the same, or get worse? It's anybodies guess but I think this kid has pride and will work at improving. It's not out of the question that he can't improve in this role as he matures as a NHL player heading towards his mid 20's.

the list of #1 centers in the NHL who came into the league playing wing, is legend. it starts with.................

Look at what you want a good 1C to do, and then look at what drouin does. Write them down in two columns and then look to see how many are in both columns. If the answer is >1 you either are not sure what a 1C does or you don't know how drouin plays. As a regular center, he is without question the worst first line center in the NHL. Danault has his warts, tis true tis true, but he scratches the center itch WAY better than drouin can, does or ever will.

A good center makes time and space for his wingers, which makes his wingers more effective. Drouin does NOT do that, he needs someone to make time and space for him, not the other way around.

As for the bold, if we play him all season at center, he will get worse. I know its hard to imagine but its a case of the more time he gets at pivot the more clear it is that he is ill suited for that position.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
the list of #1 centers in the NHL who came into the league playing wing, is legend. it starts with.................

Look at what you want a good 1C to do, and then look at what drouin does. Write them down in two columns and then look to see how many are in both columns. If the answer is >1 you either are not sure what a 1C does or you don't know how drouin plays. As a regular center, he is without question the worst first line center in the NHL. Danault has his warts, tis true tis true, but he scratches the center itch WAY better than drouin can, does or ever will.

A good center makes time and space for his wingers, which makes his wingers more effective. Drouin does NOT do that, he needs someone to make time and space for him, not the other way around.

As for the bold, if we play him all season at center, he will get worse. I know its hard to imagine but its a case of the more time he gets at pivot the more clear it is that he is ill suited for that position.

Who cares. Drouin at wing or at center. It's another tank season. Do you really think he will get destroyed if he plays center? Come on man, relax.

Reactions: WinterLion

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Who cares. Drouin at wing or at center. It's another tank season. Do you really think he will get destroyed if he plays center? Come on man, relax.
No I think that by playing him at a position he is ill suited to play, that when we do have centers what will we have in drouin ? A complimentary streaky winger ? or a career crappy center/winger tweener ?

if you want what is best for Jonathan Drouins development ( and thus return on sergachev) you want him as far away from center as possible.

Your attitude is last year's " just give him a chance at center" all over again. Do. Not. Want.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No I think that by playing him at a position he is ill suited to play, that when we do have centers what will we have in drouin ? A complimentary streaky winger ? or a career crappy center/winger tweener ?

if you want what is best for Jonathan Drouins development ( and thus return on sergachev) you want him as far away from center as possible.

Your attitude is last year's " just give him a chance at center" all over again. Do. Not. Want.

Understood but personally, I don’t care if he plays wing or center. He is going to struggle with our group of soft forwards.

What matters is how we surround him with talent with the picks we get in our tank years

Reactions: Habitant le colon

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

One year, and he's a write off. I think Domi will help, where Galchenyuk didn't. Domi has played centre in the NHL. If they play hybrid, one can cover the other. Drouin is better in the dot. Domi is better in the defensive zone.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
So only Pacioretty, Drouin, Armia, De la Rose, Scherbak, McCarron and Deslauriers cannot be described as small and feisty...

Always good to have everybody in the same mold on a team.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
One year, and he's a write off. I think Domi will help, where Galchenyuk didn't. Domi has played centre in the NHL. If they play hybrid, one can cover the other. Drouin is better in the dot. Domi is better in the defensive zone.
Drouin is better in the dot??? He's so good that when he was playing center his wingers took draws for him.

And it's not "one bad year", he has NEVER demonstrated he can play center in any league since junior.

This idea of " well let's just play him at position X out of need" presumed that the positions are all functionally interchangeable. They are not.

You want players to reach their potential, put them in a position where they can leverage their specific s.trengths to succeed. For Drouin, that's on the wing.

What's next trying lolzner or Benn at center? They both have exactly one half NHL season less experience at that position than Drouin.

And Domi is a winger.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I am thinking Drouin will play wing. The plan being that we make up for the lack of skill in our natural centres with playmaking wingers , being Drouin and Domi. At least in the top 2 lines. B

But who knows, maybe they try Drouin at C for another 20 games or so. My only concern is messing up Drouin.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
2018-2019 Lines:
Lehkonen-Drouin-Gallagher
Domi-Danault-Sherbak
Hudon-Peca-Byron
DLR-Plekanec-Armia
Deslauries

*injuried Shaw

Mete-Petry
Reilly-Juulsen
Alzner-Benn
Ouellet

*injuried Weber

Price
Niemi
----------------------------------------

This lineup is destine to have lottery pick. Jack Hughes?

2019-2020 Lines
Drouin-Hughes-Gallagher
Domi-Kotkaniemi-Scherbak
Hudon-Poehling-Lehkonen
DLR-Danault-Armia
Olofsson
Peca

Mete-Weber
Reilly-Juulsen
Alzner-Petry
Brook-Fleury
Walford

Price
Lindgren
Primeau

2020-2021
Drouin-Hughes-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Ylonen
Domi-Poehling-Scherbak
DLR-Olofsson-Hillis
Danault

2020 first round pick-Weber
Mete-Juulsen
Fleury-Brook
Romanov
Walford

Price
Lindgren
Primeau

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Pacioretty - Domi - Gallagher
Drouin - Kotkaniemi (9 games)- Scherbak
Hudon - Danault - Armia
Deslaurier - Plekanec - Lehkonen
DLR - Peca

Byron - IR
Shaw - IR

Byron comes off the IR and Kotkaniemi likely returns to Finland unless he's legitimately ready.
Shaw comes off the IR and Deslaurier likely gets sent down unless a Pacioretty trade has happened.

Pacioretty - Domi - Gallagher
Drouin - Danault - Scherbak
Hudon - Peca - Armia
Lehkonen - Plekanec - Byron
Shaw - DLR

Shaw probably plays everyday, but moves around the lineup based on small injuries/illness/sturggles.

Alzner - Petry
Reilly - Juulsen
Mete - Benn
Schlemko

Weber - IR

Benn is probably traded once Weber comes off the IR unless we have other callups by then.

Reilly - Weber
Mete - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen
Schlemko

I also wouldn't be shocked if Mete or Juulsen aren't logging big minutes, and playing well, that one or both of the new Czech D-Men get called up.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Wishful thinking lineup: (Pacioretty gets traded for Sprong +Maatta + pick and Kotkaniemi shocks everyone by making the team)

Lehkonen - Drouin - Sprong
Domi - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Byron - Danault - Armia
Hudon - Plekanec - Shaw
Peca/DLR/Deslauriers/McCarron/Scherbak

Maatta - Weber
Mete - Petry
Alzner/Schlemko - Juulsen
Reilly/Benn/Ouellet

Lemme dream k :laugh:? Alternatively Pacioretty gets traded for Robert Thomas + Vince Dunn + pick

Last edited:
Reactions: Habitant le colon

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Assuming Patch is traded for pure futures.

Lehkonen - Drouin - Gallagher

Drouin has proven chemistry with Gallagher. He's a playmaker so 2 shooters on his line should give him plenty of options. He also seems to play best when on a line with good forecheckers and guys who can do the dirty work

Domi - Danault - Scherbak

Best players available for the 2nd line. Scherbak is a playmaker, but he also has a great shot. He could work well with Domi.

Hudon - Plekanec - Armia

Shutdown line. Hudon is maybe the only guy who managed to create stuffs offensively when on a line with Plekanec.

Byron - Peca - Shaw

Offensive 4th line. Peca and Byron should give a lot of trouble to other teams with their speed.

extras: Deslaurier, De la Rose, McCarron

With Weber injured,
Mete - Petry

Best LD and RD available

Alzner - Juulsen

Alzner played his best when paired with Juulsen.

Reilly - Benn

extra: Schlemko, Ouelette, Lernout

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Max Domi - Jonathan Drouin - Brendan Gallagher.
Max Pacioretty - Charles Hudon - Nikita Scherbak.
Artturi Lehkonen - Phillip Danault - Joel Armia.
Paul Byron - Tomas Plekanec - Andrew Shaw.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

If you think Domi is better than Drouin defensively (to any notable degree), then have I got an Alzner to sell you.

Also, unless you stick Gallagher and only Gallagher on their wing, that line will be dreadful, since both those guys prefer to pass. And Gallagher can make any line at least tread water.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Awful. And it's possibly the "best" attempt I saw :laugh:

We're so ****ed

Yikes. I really cannot fathom how this team even comes close to making the playoffs next season. Even if Price goes absolute God mode again, I'm not sure it would even be enough. I think it's a pretty safe bet that this team will be a bottom 10 team next year, which is definitely a much needed outcome for the rebuild.

I wouldn't be surprised if that roster put up less than 200 goals next season, probably will, but I wouldn't be shocked if we were the lowest scoring team in the league.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Assuming Max moves for prospects/picks

Domi-Drouin-Armia
Byron-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Peca-Scherbak
Hudon-Plekanec-Shaw

Schlemko-Petry
Mete-Benn
Alzner-Reilly

“Nobody said it was easy
It's such a shame for us to part