Line Combos: What the lineup should be next game

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
You are saying Drouin has never demonstrated he can play center in any league since junior not because he has been poor when given opportunities but because he hasn't had any. There is a difference!

It actually doesn't look that bad to me outside of the center depth. Certainly potential for surprise. Maybe not.
no he HAS been poor.

if the argument is that he couldnt ride the coattails of his wingers, that argument isnt unique to drouin,

Are you saying that he WASN'T awful at center last year ? He got WAY more opportunity that Galchenyuk who will almost certainly end up a better center than Drouin ( which to be fair is not that hard).

Look at what you want a real 1C to do and then look at what drouins strengths are. they don't overlap. he's a failed center and he's never going to be a NHL center.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
no he HAS been poor.

if the argument is that he couldnt ride the coattails of his wingers, that argument isnt unique to drouin,

Are you saying that he WASN'T awful at center last year ? He got WAY more opportunity that Galchenyuk who will almost certainly end up a better center than Drouin ( which to be fair is not that hard).

Look at what you want a real 1C to do and then look at what drouins strengths are. they don't overlap. he's a failed center and he's never going to be a NHL center.

Never say never. Drouin was a center last year in the NHL. I agree he lacks strength to be a center but he was not a failure. It is what it is, we have to play someone as our #1C and that's Drouin. However, what will you say about him if he played wing all year and you are still disappointed? Problem with this roster is too many soft forwards.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Never say never. Drouin was a center last year in the NHL. I agree he lacks strength to be a center but he was not a failure. It is what it is, we have to play someone as our #1C and that's Drouin. However, what will you say about him if he played wing all year and you are still disappointed? Problem with this roster is too many soft forwards.

I would say that he is best suited to play wing so that is where he should play lest he becomes a tweener center/wing when we actually DO have real centers on the team. He wasn't just a failure at center last year, he was an ABJECT failure. On a team with the WORST center depth in the league, he couldn't stick at center. He was awful.

this year is going to be rough, if you want to come out the other side BETTER then put players in a position where they can best leverage their talents. For Drouin, that is CLEARLY on the wing. how anyone can argue this is beyond me.

And if the problem is too many soft forwards, it seems somewhat strange that the answer is more drouin.

If you are ok playing drouin at center, why not try Jordie benn there as well ?

Reactions: groovejuice

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
no he HAS been poor.

Galchenyuk's strengths don't overlap with a no.1 c's either lol. Drouin and Galchenyuk are very similar.

Tourist

Nov 26, 2014
Galchenyuk's strengths don't overlap with a no.1 c's either lol. Drouin and Galchenyuk are very similar.
Outside of a decent ability to put up points, Galchenyuk's strengths don't really overlap with what's needed of a top center in today's NHL. He's a bad skater, has average IQ at best, has a poor engine (highly affected by his poor skating), isn't really committed defensively. Drouin showed similar drawbacks last season, especially at the start, but at least he's an excellent skater. Ideally he should play wing too.

Reactions: montreal

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Outside of a decent ability to put up points, Galchenyuk's strengths don't really overlap with what's needed of a top center in today's NHL. He's a bad skater, has average IQ at best, has a poor engine (highly affected by his poor skating), isn't really committed defensively. Drouin showed similar drawbacks last season, especially at the start, but at least he's an excellent skater. Ideally he should play wing too.

Agreed 100%

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Now I am confused why SEPTember is the 9th month...

Thanks “Great” Schlemko, if I don’t sleep tonight, I blame your post

All the months named for numbers are off by 2 (Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec). The Romans only had 10 months on their calendar until they developed a better system. They added July (Julius) and August (Augustus) named after Caesars in the middle and apparantly didn't want to add them at the end of the year for reasons unknown to me. Perhaps their birthdays coincided in those time frames?

Reactions: smirob

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Plenty loses during the Overtime. Questionable line combos. Fchs lock up JD. Fchs Coaching Staff cease defending the same players whose not in the right place on the 3 vs 3. Pointless stubbornness and stress.

This part of the game are uniquely reserved for entertainment. Go verify on the dictionary its definition.

Top-notch plays. Finishing. Engagement. Faster combination. Resistant skaters. Thrilling Line Combos... Nothing less nothing more.

Period.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Which players would be best for us....3 lines only. 6 forwards, 3 defensemen

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Too much playing for the shootout, where the Habs seem to excel. 3v3 is all about possession and the Habs make lots of bad plays (such as poor shots) that give up possession.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
My trios would be

Danault - Gallagher
Petry

Domi - Drouin
Reilly

Kotkaniemi - Tatar
Mete

Byron - Lehkonen
Juulsen

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
Players that should not play in OT:
-Gallagher : Love his intensity but way too much rebounds on his shot going the other way/ lack skills
-Danault : lack skills
-Armia : too slow
-Shaw: see Danault
-Plekanek: see Shaw!
-Petry : can't cover in man to man coverage
-Alzner/Benn: Shouldn't play period!

So I'll go with: Tatar/Domi/Reilly
Byron /Kotkaniemi/ Mete
Drouin/ Lekhonen / Juulsen(Ouellet/Peca (3F, noD))

Killing OT with passes to Price and go to Shootout seems the better options. We don't have that many good shooters and that creates a lot of change of possession on the rebound.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
It needs the skillestt players on the rink during 3 vs 3. But montreal doesnt have many of them. They have some good/average player. But not enought during a 3 vs 3. When i say chabot/stone/duchene together. I knew that it was finished. Montreal have nothing for beat that

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I'd try and go with the best skaters possible, then throw guys with skill/better shooting abilities in.

Domi - Drouin - Reilly
Byron - Lehkonen - Petry
Peca - Tatar - Mete

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Montreal doesn't really have the talent to be a great OT team.

But I'd play Byron more. His two way ability and speed seems like a perfect fit, especially since lack of size isn't as big a deal with less board play.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
1) Do you split up Reilly and Juulsen?
2) Who do we play with Petry and Weber?
3) Can Petry play LD?
4) Where does Mete fit in your plans?

Thinking outside of box...

Reilly / Weber
Petry / Juulsen
Quellet or Mete / Benn or Schlemko
Alzner

If there is a trade market for Mete+ (Leddy perhaps), I would definitely consider taking Leddy on for 4 years from age 27-31. Especially if we can unload Shaw in the packaged deal and still maintain our cap space for a goal scoring winger... if/when it becomes an option for us.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Im sorry to be a Debbie downer, but in truth worry not, there will likely be new injuries by then. It might be better to ask who from Laval should get the first call up.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Im sorry to be a Debbie downer, but in truth worry not, there will likely be new injuries by then. It might be better to ask who from Laval should get the first call up.

How so? We would need a few injuries before we start digging into the Laval depth. Weber, Petry, Reilly, Juulsen, Schlemko, Quellet, Benn, Mete, Alzner. That's 9 guys and we would need 2 or 3 of these guys hurt. We already have 2 guys out and we have not brought up anyone from Laval.

The thing I am interested in is can Petry play LD? That would help balance things a bit better IMO.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I would go with 3 even pairing at even strength, then have ice time tilt based on power play and end of games etc..

Oullette - Weber

Reilly - Juulsen

Mete - Petry

Reactions: Le Miz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad