Line Combos: What the lineup should be next game

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Drouin - Danault - Gallagher
Domi - Peca - Scherbak
Lehkonen - Plekanec - Armia
Hudon - DLR - Byron
Deslauriers, Shaw as spare.

I have not included Pacioretty because i sincerely wish we trade him for futures. Going into next year draft with two first rounders and, i wish, two or three secound rounds picks would add the necessary depth to our prospects pool and with all of our young players, i would feel we would be ready to be buyers again and try to surround Domi, Drouin, Danault, Gallagher with FA and Veteran and slowly bring in Poehling, Kotkaniemi, Ylonen, Olofsson, etc..

On Defense :

Mete - Weber
Schlemko - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen
Benn.

I think Schlemko is better than what he has shown. We are obviously lacking a top 4LD but maybe we draft him next year or maybe Romanov was the right picks. Remember that prospects are probabilities. I would give an extended look to Brook and Fleury while Weber is absent.

I think that next season should be a year where we put our young players in core roles. We obviously are not winning the cup with this line-up but considering how young we are, and considering that we finally have some nice prospects down the pipeline. I feel that next season might be hard but after that, we should be able to turn the boat and aim for playoff and eventually, i expect that once Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Mete, Juulsen, Danault are seasoned player, Price and Weber will still be elite performers, Kotkaniemi, Poehling should be NHL ready. And a couple of our prospects should be NHL players.Well i think we will be back in business.

Its not that bad, seriously.

CAR3YPR1CE

Aug 11, 2016
Pacioretty Traded for 1st pair LHD

.....Domi.............Drouin.........Gallagher
.....Byron...........Danault........Scherbak
Lehkonen......Plekanec.........Armia
....Hudon.............Peca................Shaw
Deslauriers....delaRose

XXXX........Petry
Alzner....Juulsen
Mete.........Benn
Reilly

Last edited:

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Drouin - Danault - Gallagher
Domi - Peca - Scherbak
Lehkonen - Plekanec - Armia
Hudon - DLR - Byron
Deslauriers, Shaw as spare.

I have not included Pacioretty because i sincerely wish we trade him for futures. Going into next year draft with two first rounders and, i wish, two or three secound rounds picks would add the necessary depth to our prospects pool and with all of our young players, i would feel we would be ready to be buyers again and try to surround Domi, Drouin, Danault, Gallagher with FA and Veteran and slowly bring in Poehling, Kotkaniemi, Ylonen, Olofsson, etc..

On Defense :

Mete - Weber
Schlemko - Petry
Alzner - Juulsen
Benn.

Its not that bad, seriously.

I agree with your forward line-up, but I am optimistic that one of the new guys surprises on defense, the same way Peca does as 2C. I could see it being Despres, based on my superficial knowledge. I would like to see the team commit to more speed up and down the lineup. More Vegas Knights, less LA Kings. Who am I kidding, more Vegas Knights, less plodding 17-18 Habs.

Also agree about your final conclusion. If Price plays over .920 and Julien's coaching is not a boat anchor, this is not a tanking line-up. I suppose I like being a contrarian, why not this year!

Edit: Reilly too, while on the subject. I could see both him and Despres forcing their way onto the team with their mobility, and in Despres' case, newfound maturity. Combine the better mobility with an uptick in defensive coaching acumen, that has to help at both ends of the rink.

Last edited:

Habitant le colon

Un partisan
Feb 6, 2008
another planet
Tank team for 2018-19 !!!!!!

Domi - Drouin - Gallagher
Hudon - Danault - Scherbak
Lehkonen - Plekanec - Byron
Deslauriers - Peca - Armia
Dlr

Alzner - Petry
Mete - Schlemko
Ouellet - Benn
Rielly

Price
Niemi

Ir : Shaw, Weber

Apr 28, 2010
Wouldn't be surprised if Pleks is our 2C this season. sigh

Domi Drouin Armia (I don't like Gally here. Armia gives this line some size, shouldn't be on top line but this is Montreal)
Patches Pleks Gally
Lehkonen Danault Scherbak
Deslauriers Peca Hudon

I'd sit Hudon when Byron/Shaw comes back.

Not even gonna do defense.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Who's going to pay to watch this ...

image-2018-07-14-a-11.23.29.png

puke.gif

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Drouin - Schmaltz - Scherbak
Domi - Danault - Gallagher
Byron - Peca - Armia
Hudon - Plekanec - Lehkonen

Pacioretty traded for Schmaltz.

TrapGod Jr

Apr 22, 2017
I hope CJ won't put Drouin back to center... and i'd like it if Hudon and Scherbak had more ice time this upcoming season.
Lets give more ice time to the younger guys. We have a lot of forwards but here's my lineup. Trade Patch & Byron (for futures) we dont need goals.

18-19 Lineup

Drouin-Danault-Gallagher
Domi-Hudon-Armia
Lehkonen-Peca-Scherbak
DLR-Plekanec-Shaw

*DLo

Alzner-Petry
Schlemko-Juulsen
Ouellet-Benn
*Reilly

God damn what a shitty roster...perfect for THE TANK! Go Laval!

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Lehkonen-Drouin-Gallagher
Domi-Danault-Scherbak
Hudon-Peca-Armia
DLR-Plekanec-Deslaurier

Schlemko-Petry
Mete-Benn
Alzner-Rielly
Benn

Price
Niemi

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
just a quick question, for the people who are penciling drouin at center ( especially 1C) I'm a seriously interested in the motivation. is it

a) he will be better at center than last year
b) we have no other choice, its the best of a bad situation
c) we need to tank so badly, we play him there to sabotage the team
d) you don't think he shouldn't play center but he will because of the market

Inquiring minds really want to know. I can't see anyone, after last year, thinking that him at center is in any way, a good thing.

Reactions: Stephaaane

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I could actually see Peca being the surprise this season:

Byron*-Drouin-Gallagher
Domi-Peca-Scherbak
Lehkonen-Danault-Armia
Hudon-Plekanec-Deslauriers
DLR

Alzner*-Petry*
Mete-Benn
Despres-Reilly

*being showcased for move at TDL

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Lehkonen-Drouin-Gallagher
Domi-Danault-Scherbak
Hudon-Peca-Armia
DLR-Plekanec-Deslaurier

Schlemko-Petry
Mete-Benn
Alzner-Rielly
Benn

Price
Niemi
Good start. I agree with some of your assumptions. Let's go with a speed-kills, blatant-attempt-to-recreate-Vegas lineup (assuming Pax gets traded, otherwise this is a poisonous situation).

Roll 4 forward lines: virtually no distinction, but line 4, and to an extent line 3, get critical defensive assignments; however if one line gets hot, reward it with more ice time. First defensive pair gets slightly more minutes than the other two at even strength, but don't be wedded to a left D if one underperforms: 1 LD/2 LD/3 LD is fluid. Aim for the best combination of speed and skill, unless an exceptional defensive contribution is forthcoming. Much depends on whether Drouin can cut it as 1C. If he has the fire in his belly and adaptability to do it, give him one last chance, but be open to trying it both ways. If Drouin is much better at wing, the job falls to Danault by default. Look to insert Armia into top 6 if possible, even if it means switching him to left wing. Bolded is what I view as most likely.

1* Drouin/Lek/Armia-Danault/Drouin-Gallagher
2** Domi/Lek/Armia-Danault/Hudon/Peca**-Scherbak/Armia
3** Lehkonen/Hudon-Peca/Hudon**-Armia/Scherbak
4 DLR-Plekanec-Deslaurier

*if Drouin is not working out at 1C, don't force it. Also, if Armia can play LW, consider him on that side in the top 6. Like Drouin and the defencemen, he is a wild card.
**let Hudon and Peca compete for 2C vs 3C. (Hudon was supposed to be decent defensively, no?). If one of these two plays out of his mind and improves over the season, consider swapping with Danault.

1*** Després/Reilly/Moravcik/Mete/Schlemko(/Alzner)-Petry
2 Reilly/Després/Moravcik/Mete/Schlemko-Juulsen/Reilly
3 Reilly/Després/Moravcik/Alzner/Schlemko-Benn/Reilly
(Alzner/Schlemko/Ouellet/Benn)

*** put whoever earns it: Alzner has to show up in the best shape of his career, whereas the faster players (Reilly, Moravcik, Després, Mete, etc.) have to display their poise and offensive ability.
If Mete or Juulsen are outplaying the older guys, consider leaving them in.
If the young guys or newcomers outplay the old guys, give the latter a game or two to showcase them, and then consider shipping them out. If Alzner shows up noticeably lighter and faster, even he can be traded if a team gets decimated at the blue line.
In fact, all five D positions other than Petry I view as based on stiff competition and handedness.
All 6 guys need to be exceptional skaters and serviceable both defensively and offensively.

**** Price
Niemi

**** Price and Niemi need to compete more. If Niemi is outplaying Price significantly, play the former to light a fire under the latter. I don't care about the salary. It is what it is. If it does ignite Price, he may become more tradable, or better still, he may make us want to keep him in spite of his boat-anchor contract.

Edit: if we get a serviceable center out of Pax, work him in as 1C or 2C. Cough Schmaltz. Make Peca or Hudon earn it even more. If so, this is a surprisingly competitive team, unless Julien plays favorites.
Also, forgot about Byron. Byron forces the other wingers to compete hard for a spot when he comes back. He bumps out of the lineup whoever is playing indifferently or contributes the least. I like his speed, and I would prefer to keep him. Think Vegas!
I have very strong misgivings about Shaw. He needs to retire IMO, if he wants to avoid CTE.
If you add Byron and Schmaltz to this line-up, if the defense finds another gear as it looks that it might, and if in turn that lights a fire under Price, this is a different team than last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBuriedHab

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Shows how much NHL Network knows. They take someone like Byron, who has two consecutive seasons of 20+ goals as a LW, and they put him as 4RW. And they put Shaw ahead of him.

The reality is Byron had a very good chance to play on the 4th. He's not playing before both Patch and Gallagher. Domi is the new toy so he's gonna play in front of Byron. We are rebuilding so Julien might very well decide to favor younger player like Lehkonen, Armia and Hudon who are all not less skilled than Byron and could still make some progress. So 3 wingers are a lock to play in front of Byron and 3 other younger bottom 6 wingers have a good chance to play in front of him given our current situation. Then there's Shaw. The chosen one. The manager spiritual son. Once he is healthy i don't see Shaw playing on a 4th. Add to this group Scherbak who can't be sent down this year. MB could very well regret not trading Byron at last year's deadline.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The reality is Byron had a very good chance to play on the 4th. He's not playing before both Patch and Gallagher. Domi is the new toy so he's gonna play in front of Byron. We are rebuilding so Julien might very well decide to favor younger player like Lehkonen, Armia and Hudon who are all not less skilled than Byron and could still make some progress. So 3 wingers are a lock to play in front of Byron and 3 other younger bottom 6 wingers have a good chance to play in front of him given our current situation. Then there's Shaw. The chosen one. The manager spiritual son. Once he is healthy i don't see Shaw playing on a 4th. Add to this group Scherbak who can't be sent down this year. MB could very well regret not trading Byron at last year's deadline.

NHL Network don't base their line-up on "Shaw is the chosen one." And that chosen one has also spent time on the 4th line, as well.

I would like to see if they have another team's lines include a player who had two consecutive 20+ goal seasons on the 4th line.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
just a quick question, for the people who are penciling drouin at center ( especially 1C) I'm a seriously interested in the motivation. is it

a) he will be better at center than last year
b) we have no other choice, its the best of a bad situation
c) we need to tank so badly, we play him there to sabotage the team
d) you don't think he shouldn't play center but he will because of the market

Inquiring minds really want to know. I can't see anyone, after last year, thinking that him at center is in any way, a good thing.

Option B for me. I don’t know who else they would play as the #1 centre, maybe Danault/(Peca or Plekanec) as the first/second but that’s worse imo.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Option B for me. I don’t know who else they would play as the #1 centre, maybe Danault/(Peca or Plekanec) as the first/second but that’s worse imo.
So based on all of the available evidence, you think Drouin is a better 1C than Dano?

Dano ain't great, but compared to Drouin, he's a huge step up. In case people have bad memories when I think of Drouin at center I think of the hindernburg.

Oh the humanity!

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
So based on all of the available evidence, you think Drouin is a better 1C than Dano?

Dano ain't great, but compared to Drouin, he's a huge step up. In case people have bad memories when I think of Drouin at center I think of the hindernburg.

Oh the humanity!

I think it’s a can’t win situation. You might be right and Drouin should be on the wing and Danault the number one centre. At some point Drouin has to be on the wing, either this season or when they actually develop a #1 centre.

Drouin is the more skilled player (and they traded a blue chip prospect for him), so I think that’s why they have him there.

Drouin also did better the second half of the season, went from 1.81 point per 60 to 2.22 in the second half.

At the end of the day this roster sucks and the fact we are debating if Drouin or Danault is the number one centre depresses me.

Last edited:

Want My Dach x 77

Sep 2, 2010
vancouver, bc
Lets give guys a chance ... if healthy and barring any trades who knows maybe Drouin takes a step at C and Peca turns some heads , Can’t get much more negative than where we are at right now I can only see positives from here on out

Domi Drouin Gallagher
Pacioretty Peca lehkonen
Byron Danault Armia
Deslauries pleks shaw/Scherbak /Hudon

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
I'm done with Drouin at C, I hope this team is too. He clearly isnt a fit there, and no we dont have to go with "we dont have any other options", at this point, for the tank, we do have options. I say lets see how he performs at wing since most of his career was played there and then when we have a proper center he'll be ready. Instead we put the guy where he clearly doesnt belong and keep ruining his progression, again.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I think it’s a can’t win situation. You might be right and Drouin should be on the wing and Danault the number one centre. At some point Drouin has to be on the wing, either this season or when they actually develop a #1 centre.

Drouin is the more skilled player (and they traded a blue chip prospect for him), so I think that’s why they have him there.

Drouin also did better the second half of the season, went from 1.81 point per 60 to 2.22 in the second half.

At the end of the day this roster sucks and the fact we are debating if Drouin or Danault is the number one centre depresses me.
Being the more skilled player is not ( or shouldn't be) the salient metric. He's NOT. A center on two fronts in that prior to lastyear he never played the position and when we did play him there he was awful. The stats to me are redundant, he failed the eye test so badly.

To those STILL penciling him at 1C Ihave another question" how bad would he havetoplay at center before this little experiment gets shut down?"

Because if last year wasn't enought, I'm not sure I can imagine anyone playing worse. To the people saying "give him a chance" AGAIN, I will as I expect him tobeworse at center this year if thatis where he plays.

Drouin is not and never will be a NHL center. Full stop. He might have skills on the wing, but him at 1C should be a non starter ( especially over dano who isn't great but IS a NHL center (2C/3C preferably)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad