Line Combos: What the lineup should be next game

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Drouin is better in the dot??? He's so good that when he was playing center his wingers took draws for him.

And it's not "one bad year", he has NEVER demonstrated he can play center in any league since junior.

This idea of " well let's just play him at position X out of need" presumed that the positions are all functionally interchangeable. They are not.

You want players to reach their potential, put them in a position where they can leverage their specific s.trengths to succeed. For Drouin, that's on the wing.

What's next trying lolzner or Benn at center? They both have exactly one half NHL season less experience at that position than Drouin.

And Domi is a winger.

You are saying Drouin has never demonstrated he can play center in any league since junior not because he has been poor when given opportunities but because he hasn't had any. There is a difference!

Wow is that bad..

It actually doesn't look that bad to me outside of the center depth. Certainly potential for surprise. Maybe not.

CAR3YPR1CE

Aug 11, 2016
Drouin - Danault - Scherbak
Domi - Peca - Gallagher
Lehkonen - delaRose - Armia
Hudon - Plekanec - Shaw
Deslauriers - Froese

Despres - Petry
Alzner - Schlemko
Reilly - Benn
Valiev

Agostino - Chaput - Vejdemo
Addison - Bitten - Evans
Rychel - Pezzetta - McCarron
Audette - Verbeek - Alain
Waked

Mete - Juulsen
Ouellet - Lernout
Moravcik - Taormina
Sklenicka

Reactions: Brando and smirob

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Drouin - Danault - Scherbak
Domi - Peca - Gallagher
Lehkonen - delaRose - Armia
Hudon - Plekanec - Shaw
Deslauriers - Froese

Despres - Petry
Alzner - Schlemko
Reilly - Benn

I like Lehkonen-DLR-Armia though I also like:

Domi-Drouin-Armia

The reasoning:
Domi is a creative playmaker, who might bring out the best in Drouin. Armia is there to make space for the other two and forecheck relentlessly, but he can also finish

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
I remember when Valiev and Rychel were fresh acquisitions and some posters were putting them in the 2018-19 line up. Rychel is what,our 15th foward :laugh: Valiev 9th on D?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
No way do I see Julien putting Scherbak on the top line. I think Reilly is better then Alzner who should be our 7th D once Weber is back if they had the guts to do it. I'm shocked that people think Julien will play Pleks as a 4th liner, he's like his long lost son or something so I think he's our 3rd liner assuming Drouin is 1st and Danault 2nd.

But we'll see what happens with the trade.

CAR3YPR1CE

Aug 11, 2016
No way do I see Julien putting Scherbak on the top line. I think Reilly is better then Alzner who should be our 7th D once Weber is back if they had the guts to do it. I'm shocked that people think Julien will play Pleks as a 4th liner, he's like his long lost son or something so I think he's our 3rd liner assuming Drouin is 1st and Danault 2nd.

But we'll see what happens with the trade.

With this depth it's not 4 traditional lines. It's more like 1 second line and 3 third lines. So it's more finding chemistry and having as much potency on every line as possible.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't want to see Domi or drouin at center. You probably do more harm than good for these guys by desperately moving them into spots where they are longshots to succeed.

This team isn't going anywhere next year, regardless. Just roll with danault, plekanec, peca, and whoever else.

This probably won't happen because I'm speaking as a fan with no money invested, but I'm just looking out for the long term success of the team.

Reactions: Chippy11

Habernack

BookHockey
Feb 10, 2010
Toronto
I just can't see Patch starting the year with the Habs and not traded for pure futures.

Drouin - Danault - Sherback
Domi - Peca - Gally
Lehkonen - Hudon - Armia
Delo/DLR - Pleks - Mac

Byron & Shaw replace the 4th line wings if they happen to be healthy. Could force a trade to make room.
Wishful thinking on my part down the middle but I don't want to see Drouin there again.

Reilly - Petry
Mete - Juulsen
Moravcik - Lernout
Ouellet

Gotta make Alzner disappear somehow. Buy out or trade Benn and send Schlemko down.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Give Benn, Schlemko, Petry and Byron a chance to raise their trade value. They should all be given some additional ice time until moved

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With this depth it's not 4 traditional lines. It's more like 1 second line and 3 third lines. So it's more finding chemistry and having as much potency on every line as possible.

That makes sense since we have so many wingers but still think there will be a trade or two by the time Byron/Shaw are ready to go. But I don't trust Julien to do that, I think he'll have a 4th line that gets 10 mins or less and I doubt Pleks will be on that 4th line. I hope I'm wrong but I bet we see a good bit of Pleks, not 1st or 2nd line ice time but you know he's going to be on the PK a lot and if we have a lead he's going to ride him a bulk of the time.

Reactions: CAR3YPR1CE

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Drouin is better in the dot??? He's so good that when he was playing center his wingers took draws for him.

And it's not "one bad year", he has NEVER demonstrated he can play center in any league since junior.

This idea of " well let's just play him at position X out of need" presumed that the positions are all functionally interchangeable. They are not.

You want players to reach their potential, put them in a position where they can leverage their specific s.trengths to succeed. For Drouin, that's on the wing.

What's next trying lolzner or Benn at center? They both have exactly one half NHL season less experience at that position than Drouin.

And Domi is a winger.

That's just the same old rhetoric. Wasn't Drouin hitting 50% + down the stretch, on the draws. Domi played centre with Duclair when he broke in, if I am not mistaken.

I think Domi-Drouin-Gallagher is a dandy line, that's top notch speed. A passer in Domi makes a JD a more dangerous shooter, and anybody that doesn't think he can shoot the puck isn't watching.

Pacioretty-Danault-Scherbak also has skill. Scherbak could be a younger Radulov, he sure is good on his edges.

As a top 6 that's better than what went into the playoffs as the top seed 2 years ago. Unmistakably.

Lehkonen-Plekanec-Hudon can play defense and produce some secondary offense.

Deslauriers-Peca-Armia
Can grind, and also chip in.

Defense is the question mark, but I like Luke Richardson as a coach, he played 1000 games, with some good ones. And for John Muckler, Jacques Martin.

I expect more structure.

People despair but this is a mediocre enough team to make the playoffs, with more depth from Byron and Shaw, pushing players in and out.

The loss of Weber is going to be toughest to mitigate, but if Juulsen can play top 4, Mete too, which is not unreasonable, this team has potential, with a franchise goalie backing them up. I still #4 in the Atlantic, first round matchup with To.

CAR3YPR1CE

Aug 11, 2016
Yea 10-12 mins even strength plus pk time & d-zone draws. There will def be some trades. Hopefully MB can work some barginbin magic. There are atleast a few interesting question marks. Will JDLR carry over some confidence and play like he did at the end of last season and in Int'l play. And, Mr. Peca. I feel like we just got a younger English Desharnais. Except he's actually good at faceoffs. I really really hope Drouin & Domi don't come off LW next year.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Pac-drouin-armia
Domi-danault-gallagher
Lehkonen-peca-sherbak
Byron-plekanec-hudon

Small though

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
More like some septenary offense.

I googled septenary but I am now more confused

TGS used it correctly. Septenary is a group of seven or a collection. As it pertains to Plekanec, there are seven stages to his offence which is based off the modified Kubler-Ross model:

Shock: WHAT!?!?! No!!!!!!

Denial: They really didn’t pass Tomas the puck, did they?

Anger: FFS!!!! Don’t give it to him next time!!! FU!!!! ARGH!!!!

Bargaining: C’mon Tomas, please pass it back to Lehkonen or Hudon! Maybe you’ll get an assist instead of no points at all on this play.

Depression: Sigh... I can’t believe this is happening. God I hate this team <sniff>

Testing: Maybe if I turn the TV off and turn it back on quick, somebody else will have the puck instead of Plekanec.

Acceptance: oh, F this. With Tomas behind the wheel, the tank cannot be stopped.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
It's so ironic. We used to lose because we were a team full of Smurfs... then we draft size and try to get bigger... we try and try... finally to win, we need to be a team full of smurfs again...

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's so ironic. We used to lose because we were a team full of Smurfs... then we draft size and try to get bigger... we try and try... finally to win, we need to be a team full of smurfs again...

Agreed. I'm not buying this "new NHL" where smaller players are making an impact. There is some truth to it but teams that are winning have a team build around SPEED/SKATING/SKILL/ AND SIZE. You have can all the skating you want but when you face off a bigger team that can also skate, you will lose

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I agree we could definitely use a bigger winger.

That’s my hope for a Pacioretty return, Robertson or Comtois + 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad