What the hell is going on with the Sharks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
I'll copy the post I made in our GDT today here as well.

So I'm looking at some stats over the last 3 games, because apparently I'm a masochist. Here is what has stood out to me.

Sharks have 101 Shots For and 66 Shots Against to combine for a 60.48% SF%. This is absurdly high and obviously unsustainable as the top team last year had 54%. Corsi% and Fenwick% are similarly above 60%.

Sharks have 98 Scoring Chances for and 70 against, but only have 4 SCGF vs 9 SCGA. Shooting percentage on scoring chances is 4% for and 13% against. League average last year was about 8.5%.

Sharks have 39 High Danger Chances for and 33 against, but only have 2 HDGF vs 7 HDGA. Shooting percentage on high danger chances is 5% for and 21% against. League average last year was about 14%.

Sharks have the leagues worst PDO so far, at 0.883. This is a combined 4.95% shooting percentage and 83.33% save percentage. League average last year was about 9% shooting and 91% save (for a PDO of 1.000 obviously). By the end of the season its rare to have a team below 0.970 or above 1.03 PDO. So a combined 3% shooting and save percent is extremely uncommon, the Sharks are a combined 12% just 3 games in.

The good to take out of this is that most people believe shooting percentage (and therefore PDO) is largely based on luck. If that is the case, these games should be anomalies and the Shark's record will normalize over the 82 game season. The Sharks are getting incredibly unlucky on both ends of the ice through 3 games and there is very little reason to believe it will continue to be so. I get why it is frustrating, it seems the Sharks outplay (out shoot and chance) opponents and lose games way more than they should (I can name a number of playoff series lost in this manner).

TL;DR: The Sharks are statistically out playing their opponents by getting more shots, and more importantly more chances to score (both high danger and normal). However their shooting and save percentages are abysmal. They are essentially the anti-2017-vegas (because vegas had unsustainable PDO all last year). Their PDO will normalize over the next 79 games and their record will reflect that, so don't burn the town down just yet.
Vegas finished 10th in PDO last year, their PDO was completely that's hardly unsustainable

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Firstly: Powerplay Karlsson on the half wall is not a recipe for success. Put him where hes made his living at the top of the umbrella. I feel like San Jose needs to deploy two units evenly like the leafs did last year rather then overloading one with two dmen.

Secondly: Karlsson has always been trash defensively and he is still trash defensively.
Do they have enough talent to spread it around like the Leafs did?

I tried telling Sharks fans that Karlssson will have a diminishing returns type effect on the team with Burns already there and they didn't believe me. I believe @GreatGonzo was saying the same thing too. I watched Karlsson in Ottawa against the Leafs for his whole career. He needs to be on the point on the PP, he's always done his best work from there and it was never going to work to try and fit him into a 1-3-1 PP composition on the half-walls.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
They are going to win the cup, this is going to be a hilarious bump.

Almost every top team from last year got older or worse depth wise. The Sharks added a generational offensive defenseman to their core without changing much from their team who have a legit number 1 started, good forwards and 2 allstars on their back end.

Who in the Western conference actually got better? Its the team with Karlsson i imagine.
I don't think they're strong enough up the middle to win a cup. I'm not convinced old-man Thornton and Couture are adequate enough.

Several teams in the West have a stronger team IMO.

Ronnie Residue

Burns is daddy.
Feb 15, 2015
On, Canada
Do they have enough talent to spread it around like the Leafs did?

I tried telling Sharks fans that Karlssson will have a diminishing returns type effect on the team with Burns already there and they didn't believe me. I believe @GreatGonzo was saying the same thing too. I watched Karlsson in Ottawa against the Leafs for his whole career. He needs to be on the point on the PP, he's always done his best work from there and it was never going to work to try and fit him into a 1-3-1 PP composition on the half-walls.
This thread is dumb, but yes the power play is an issue, having karlsson anywhere but the point is insane.
You’ll notice on the sharks board it’s pretty much consistent through the posters, that we hate our power play set up.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Not saying they won't be able to make it all mesh, but Karlsson and Burns is a bit of an odd combo. Karlsson is going to have to take on a much more defensive role than is probably ideal. Vlasic as a partner does give him a lot of leeway though.

They both like to be in the same spot on the PP, where they're both among the best in the league, so we'll see how they adjust because you can't let them both run their own unit. Players of that caliber both need to be out at much as possible on the PP.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I'll copy the post I made in our GDT today here as well.

So I'm looking at some stats over the last 3 games, because apparently I'm a masochist. Here is what has stood out to me.

Sharks have 101 Shots For and 66 Shots Against to combine for a 60.48% SF%. This is absurdly high and obviously unsustainable as the top team last year had 54%. Corsi% and Fenwick% are similarly above 60%.

Sharks have 98 Scoring Chances for and 70 against, but only have 4 SCGF vs 9 SCGA. Shooting percentage on scoring chances is 4% for and 13% against. League average last year was about 8.5%.

Sharks have 39 High Danger Chances for and 33 against, but only have 2 HDGF vs 7 HDGA. Shooting percentage on high danger chances is 5% for and 21% against. League average last year was about 14%.

Sharks have the leagues worst PDO so far, at 0.883. This is a combined 4.95% shooting percentage and 83.33% save percentage. League average last year was about 9% shooting and 91% save (for a PDO of 1.000 obviously). By the end of the season its rare to have a team below 0.970 or above 1.03 PDO. So a combined 3% shooting and save percent is extremely uncommon, the Sharks are a combined 12% just 3 games in.

The good to take out of this is that most people believe shooting percentage (and therefore PDO) is largely based on luck. If that is the case, these games should be anomalies and the Shark's record will normalize over the 82 game season. The Sharks are getting incredibly unlucky on both ends of the ice through 3 games and there is very little reason to believe it will continue to be so. I get why it is frustrating, it seems the Sharks outplay (out shoot and chance) opponents and lose games way more than they should (I can name a number of playoff series lost in this manner).

TL;DR: The Sharks are statistically out playing their opponents by getting more shots, and more importantly more chances to score (both high danger and normal). However their shooting and save percentages are abysmal. They are essentially the anti-2017-vegas (because vegas had unsustainable PDO all last year). Their PDO will normalize over the next 79 games and their record will reflect that, so don't burn the town down just yet.

Pretty much this. It's 3 games into the season, they have had terrible puck luck despite outplaying their opponent for large stretches of each of their 3 games, and their still trying to integrate Karlsson.

Only real concern at this point is Spotts deployment on the PP which has been hilariously bad.

Reactions: Solmors

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
"would you rather have 2 #1c's or 2 "#1d's..."

Guess what these boards voted for...

lol.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
ottawa has been really good........

i think we all know what the issue was in ottawa

EKTrouble

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Incoming Chabot trade for a second round pick because Melnyk.

denied,

Chabot is still on his ELC, thats free money for scrooge melnyk

although i am surprised a team like Philly hasnt tried to acquire Anderson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad