What the hell is going on with the Sharks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
It's not even that the sharks had a big game. It's that they have basically dominated the rest.

They aren't running at full chemistry obviously. But they have been the better team almost every period so far

Reactions: Phu

McDeez

Feb 8, 2007
San Jose
They moved Karlsson to the point of the PP. Things happen when you use your best player to their abilities and stop trying to change it. 1st unit still looks sketchy

Reactions: Sandisfan

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017

Well if you don't believe in yourself who else will right?
Some wild games tonight. Leafs D is awful but who cares when you throw up touchdowns every game?

Sharks getting back on track.

Jets are gonna be a problem all year long for everyone.

Mike Smith looking like vintage smith with his 43 save SO.

Pretty entertaining hockey

Reactions: jetsforever

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
In my humble opinion, the Sharks are pretenders and Karlsson is lipstick on a pig.

Their core is getting old. Thornton, Burns, Pavelski, Vlasic are all on the wrong side of 30. The clock is ticking on their effectiveness big time.

Couture, Kane, and Hertl aren't good enough to carry the offense.

Who knows if Karlsson will be back next year.

Come January everyone will know it's time for them to re-build.
Well this aged like shit.

According to what I read, the refs are against them - at least when they play the Kings - so the odds are stacked against them, apparently.
Oh weird. I thought it was just when they played the Knights.

Reactions: Phu and Choralone

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It's not even that the sharks had a big game. It's that they have basically dominated the rest.

They aren't running at full chemistry obviously. But they have been the better team almost every period so far

They dominated every single game like this, more or less. The biggest difference is that the pucks were going in and their goalie wasn’t terrible.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Interesting thread....
If they run into a guy like Gibson every game, like when they played us, it’ll be a tough year.

Sharks looked good, we outgoalied them

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Interesting thread....
If they run into a guy like Gibson every game, like when they played us, it’ll be a tough year.

Sharks looked good, we outgoalied them

If the Sharks play the Ducks and both teams play like they did in that game, the Sharks win 3/4 of those at minimum, even given that Gibson is better.

Remember, they completely demolished Gibson and swept the Ducks in the playoffs without Erik Karlsson or Joe Thornton.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I just went back and checked, you are right. They were above average (100.5), but not by much. I remember looking at it before and seeing it higher, but maybe that was earlier in the season before it normalized. Oh, and William Karlsson's absurdly unsustainable 23.4% shooting percentage last year. If he gets more than 30 goals this year I'll eat my hat.

This statement is more accurate: The worst PDO for any team since it was a tracked stat (07-08 season was the first), not including the shortened season, was the 16-17 Colorado Avalanche at 96.6. That year the Avs had the leagues worst shooting percentage at 7.2% and the leagues worst save percentage at 0.894. Their record that year was 22 wins and 56 losses for 48 points. The Sharks PDO over 3 games is more than 3 times further from the average than the Avs of that season (3.4 vs 11.7). Their current rate is a statistical anomaly and will correct itself over the next few games. To think it wouldn't would be the same thinking as if you flipped a coin three times and it landed heads all three times so you assume you will always continue to flip heads from then on.

A fun math experiment was this hypothetical: What if their shooting and save percentages were reversed? The Sharks have 101 shots for, 5 goals for, 4.95% shooting percentage, 66 shots against, 11 goals against, and 83.3% save percentage. If they had 101 shots for with 16.7% shooting, they would have ~17 goals for. If they had 66 shots against with 95.5% save, they would have ~3 goals against. If you saw a team win their first 3 games with a goal differential of 17-3, the first thing that comes into your head should be "unsustainable". Unless you think 465 goals for and 82 against sounds reasonable after 82 games!

You didn’t have to do all this man...some people will believe what they want and will ignore all the numbers. Just let the truth play itself out.

At 5V5, the Sharks have a 57.14% GF and a .979 PDO.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
If the Sharks play the Ducks and both teams play like they did in that game, the Sharks win 3/4 of those at minimum, even given that Gibson is better.

Remember, they completely demolished Gibson and swept the Ducks in the playoffs without Erik Karlsson or Joe Thornton.

I was referring to one game, one performance. I’ve watched one Sharks game this early, and other than Gibby, they dominated imo
I was in now way calling Gibson unbeatable. Simply talking one game and complimenting the team while laughing about this thread a bit

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
In my humble opinion, the Sharks are pretenders and Karlsson is lipstick on a pig.

Their core is getting old. Thornton, Burns, Pavelski, Vlasic are all on the wrong side of 30. The clock is ticking on their effectiveness big time.

Couture, Kane, and Hertl aren't good enough to carry the offense.

Who knows if Karlsson will be back next year.

Come January everyone will know it's time for them to re-build.
There’s a talent-level threshold needed to be a contender. But the key is how a team gels and plays. Above the “contending” threshold, I’d say any team can come together and be great. At this point in the season, there are very few teams who are out of it. And they were out of it before the starting gun. (my Rangers, for one). The Sharks aren’t one of those teams. And with De boer at the helm I led bet they step up and make themselves into a big factor.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Sharks core is so underrated in this board. I've said it before but I'll say it again, guys like Labanc, Meier, Donskoi, Hertl are all good players with room to keep growing. Kane has been a beast, pavelski looks vastly better without Thornton, the defense is top 3 in the league. If Jones can be playoff Jones I don't see how San Jose isn't a contender.

Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Sharks core is so underrated in this board. I've said it before but I'll say it again, guys like Labanc, Meier, Donskoi, Hertl are all good players with room to keep growing. Kane has been a beast, pavelski looks vastly better without Thornton, the defense is top 3 in the league. If Jones can be playoff Jones I don't see how San Jose isn't a contender.

But Thornton and Marleau are old!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad