What the hell is going on with the Sharks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
What we've seen in 3 games is that Sharks are controlling the play and dominating the teams they are playing. Jones had some stinkers against the Ducks, and today the Islanders capitalized on some defensive miscues. The Sharks were still the better team and looked like the better team in each game despite the score. I'm not too worried about them just yet.

Our PP is trash though, and i think that is more due to strategy than the players being inefficient. We have no shot options with a lefty playing the left half wall and a righty playing the right half wall. that's on the coaching staff.

The guys are also learning how to play with a guy like Karlsson. He is not the same type of offensive Dman as Burns, and you can see players are not expecting passes or expecting him to be up in the rush with them. Many times he has been open joining the rush and hasn't gotten any looks because the forwards aren't expecting him to be there. That takes time.

I'm still optimistic about this team, though we really need to sting together some wins asap

Absolutely not the case yesterday. The Isles controlled most of the game and aside from a good stretch of the first period they were the better team in pretty much every aspect of the game.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
let's be fair here, if there are 5 games on a particular day, then on that day there are 10 fanbases that think the refs are against them.

I donno about that.
There are some individuals ant teams that get away with a bunch of stuff or have at some point.

Crosby was seriously abused in his first few years in the league and it was no different during McDavid's first few years in the league.

Game VS NJ seemed fine, but I'm used to seeing players get away with blatant interference when he's on the ice and around the puck.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
People saying they are done though are silly, this is a 100 pt team that has improved it's roster. Thorton was not a big contributor last season, and while a Pavelski decline would hurt they've brought in talent to offset that (Kane, Karlsson) along with a decent amount of young guys.

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
I’m not surprised. The Sharks aren’t going to be any worse or better than recent years, they’ll be about the same, give or take.

Adding Karlsson made it look like they were stacked. The truth is, teams are all about balance and chemistry - regardless of talent on paper.

I remember one year, both Kariya and Selanne signed in Colorado to try and win a Cup. They wanted to build a super team, but it didn’t end up working well. Just wasn’t a good fit. Similarly in SJ, I think Karlsson will actually take a step back in terms of points. I just don’t see it as a great fit.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
What a terrible start. I took 20 minutes (ok, it really took 30) and did some complicated math and if we assume they need to get to 95 points to make the playoffs which means they need 93 points in their remaining 79 games. Is that even possible? They need to finish something like 44-30-5 to make the playoffs. Very unlikely for a team to get THAT hot.

Reactions: ThirdManIn

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'd say that there is always going to be an adjustment period. I understand why the Sharks have set-up that way. I don't think PP's have a tradition point shot guy anymore. They basically all run a dynamic 1-3-1, with the defender walking the line and a guy on each half-wall. For example, using the team I'm most familiar with (Leafs), the Leafs run their PP through Marner on the right side, and want him to use his vision to either set up slap passes or a deadly cross-ice path to Matthews. I don't think it would make sense to flip Burns and Karlsson though. You want Burns to receive passes where he can utilize his one-timer, even his wrister is probably better coming off the left. So, if you can re-jig things so that Burns takes the left half-wall and Karlsson is the 1D in the set-up and walks the line, that works.

How exactly are the Sharks setting up? Who is the left-half wall, the net crasher and net-front presence in the 1-3-1 set-up with and without Thornton?
I agree with how the setup should go. Unfortunately Burns seems to have been the man back, and we have Karlsson up on the right wall. It doesn't work.

Pavelski
Burns - Couture - Hertl
Karlsson

That's my ideal setup. Once Jumbo is back, bump one of Hertl, Couture, or Pavelski down. I'd go Pavelski.

Hertl
Burns - Thornton - Couture
Karlsson

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I said from the start neither burns or karlsson will score 60 points this year and got called an idiot.

You are likely still going to be called an idiot for that...

As for the thread: two loses in 3 games? Has any team ever been able to rebound from that before!?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I know it's early but their powerplay is a mess (0% with that firepower??); can't score to save their lives and they looked like they quit in front of an empty stadium against a team with significantly less talent than them. Also weird that Deboer has their D firing shots from the point with reckless abandon instead of letting some of their skilled forwards create offense. Puzzling with that much talent on their team?

That's what's going on. lol

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What we've seen in 3 games is that Sharks are controlling the play and dominating the teams they are playing. Jones had some stinkers against the Ducks, and today the Islanders capitalized on some defensive miscues. The Sharks were still the better team and looked like the better team in each game despite the score. I'm not too worried about them just yet.

Our PP is trash though, and i think that is more due to strategy than the players being inefficient. We have no shot options with a lefty playing the left half wall and a righty playing the right half wall. that's on the coaching staff.

The guys are also learning how to play with a guy like Karlsson. He is not the same type of offensive Dman as Burns, and you can see players are not expecting passes or expecting him to be up in the rush with them. Many times he has been open joining the rush and hasn't gotten any looks because the forwards aren't expecting him to be there. That takes time.

I'm still optimistic about this team, though we really need to sting together some wins asap

Ain't that the truth. I remember in that Kings-Sharks game a couple of times he made a quick pass to start the breakout and drove up the middle joining it...and once, Couture looked up with the puck and literally did a double-take :laugh: One of the funniest subtle things I've seen in a live game.

Reactions: CrypTic

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Firstly: Powerplay Karlsson on the half wall is not a recipe for success. Put him where hes made his living at the top of the umbrella. I feel like San Jose needs to deploy two units evenly like the leafs did last year rather then overloading one with two dmen.

Secondly: Karlsson has always been trash defensively and he is still trash defensively.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
I remember one year, both Kariya and Selanne signed in Colorado to try and win a Cup. They wanted to build a super team, but it didn’t end up working well. Just wasn’t a good fit. Similarly in SJ, I think Karlsson will actually take a step back in terms of points. I just don’t see it as a great fit.

That´s not really what happened at all. Selänne had no knees left - if not for the lockout and that big surgery he has said he would have retired in 2004. Kariya was also banged up and played only 51 games. Came back to soon after a few injuries and got injuried again, also "saving" his career by the lockout year...

Add that Forsberg was out for half the seasons and most importantly that Granato had really no idea how be an head coach in the NHL... he played Selänne and Kariya on the same line about the first game and

Had the same team assembled a few years earlier it would have worked out great. Or even the season after the lockout. It had nothing to do with a bad fit. It was injuries. Alot of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad