What the Florida Panthers have been doing the last 2 years-long read

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Stop. Now. The improvement in play has almost nothing to do with Tallon and his moves.

They played better than last year because compared to last season, this year...
- Huberdeau played 51 more games
- Barkov played 18 more games
- Ekblad played 14 more games and without 2 lingering concussions
- Matheson wasn't a rookie
- Bjugstad played 28 more games and wasn't liquid trash hurting the team every single play
- Dadonov was brought in
- They had an an actual coach who the players actually respected who ran an actual system
- They brought in a proven asst coach to help organize the defensive corps

Tallon gets credit for brining in Dadonov, and I guess he gets credit for the coaches. But I feel like assembling a coaching that doesn't actively hurt your team's morale and waste their skill is a pretty low bar to set.

But anyone who tries to pretend like it was shipping off Demers, Smith, and Marchessault and replacing them with Dadonov, McGinn and Michael Haley that led to the jump in the standings (not the cataclysmic injuries) is just plugging a false narrative. Seriously. I shouldn't even have to say any of this
U could have just said u didn’t watch the team last year instead of writing all that

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
So, they screwed over Gallant by ditching his favorites in Gudbranson and Kulikov? How exactly does that look?

After watching Gallant our Reaves out there with 54 seconds left, I’m not convinced that he is all that great of a coach. Seems more like a “muh toughness!” caveman than we initially gave him credit for.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
I they'd kept Marchessault and Smith...
Dadonov Barkov Huberdeau
Smith Trochek Marchessault

That's one of the best top 6 in the league, add Kulikov and they could've been contenders.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I they'd kept Marchessault and Smith...
Dadonov Barkov Huberdeau
Smith Trochek Marchessault

That's one of the best top 6 in the league, add Kulikov and they could've been contenders.
Dadonov would never have been a Panther if they kept March and Smith. Tallon replaced them with his guys, who were Dadonov and Vrbata.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Tallon and Gallant were good hockey guys. Ownership that meddle in management tend to fair poorly. I think Tallon will put the Panthers back to respectability, but an owner that does not want to invest to the Cap when the stars are in place is a bad omen. I don't expect the Panthers to compete with deep pocket Boston, Toronto, Montreal, and teams that aren't' afraid to spend to the Cap, even if the bottom line is marginal, like Tampa.

Ownership doesn't mind the losses in the standings or the operations, if they are subsidized by the county, and have an NHL franchise increasing in value, without any effort.

Reactions: glovesave_35
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I read the whole thing, and I appreciate the time taken to lay it all out with the names of the movers and shakers involved. The conclusion I came to after reading is the same one I held previously, the Florida Panthers are a poorly run hockey team who seem to constantly change course, and for all the wrong reasons. If you take what OP is saying at face value it boils down to simple incompetence.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Interesting, but if Tallon did make that trade to undo Rowe's moves, then he's an even bigger (pompous) idiot than I originally thought. Also, Kulikov and Gudbranson are bad; the Computer Boys did y'all a favor.

The moral of the story- if Barkov, Huberdeau and Ekblad don't miss a ton of games last year, you guys likely make the playoffs and this conversation doesn't happen. Health is a helluva drug.

Reactions: kerrabria

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad