What the Florida Panthers have been doing the last 2 years-long read

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Cheap land in surise, leads to lack of interest,
Moving to sunrise didn't do a thing to interest. It takes longer to get to Marlins Park in the heart of Miami then it does to get to Sunrise and the Marlins have even worse attendance then the Panthers. The Panthers have attendance issues for one reason. They have been the worst run team in hockey for 20 years.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Team
Needs shahid Kahn to buy the team. Jags owner. Invests in team and let’s the football people make the football decisions while giving them every resource they need to be ahead of the curve

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
And make no mistake the moves hurt us. But some moves have to be made and tallon isn’t the one to blame for these moves. Obviously the team was far better this year if u spent any time watching this year vs last year. So obviously tallon has a good idea what needs to be done and how to get the players buying in. No coincidence the second he is back in charge the team
Looks
Completely different then the tire fire last year

Did they make the playoffs this year? Were they one of the 8 best teams in their conference?

Try to keep up, skippy :)

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Moving to sunrise didn't do a thing to interest. It takes longer to get to Marlins Park in the heart of Miami then it does to get to Sunrise and the Marlins have even worse attendance then the Panthers. The Panthers have attendance issues for one reason. They have been the worst run team in hockey for 20 years.
Even if they had made the playoffs the problems would still be there. Every downtown is impossible to drive in, and the Marlins are in a similar situation as the panthers.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Even if they had made the playoffs the problems would still be there. Every downtown is impossible to drive in, and the Marlins are in a similar situation as the panthers.
right, so moving to sunrise didn't lead to lack of interest. a terrible product did.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018

Baseball has a stupidly long regular season and is a boring sport. Cut the comparison.

And, no, it does not take longer to reach the "Orange Bowl" than the BAC. Plus, Marlins Park is accessible by mass transit. Quit the lies. Besides, we're talking about the Triple AAA, not Little Havana. If you really are from SoFla, you should know all of this.

You're half right about why folks don't show up, but the other half is absolutely the location. Boring suburbs that are far, far from anything worth doing.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
And, no, it does not take longer to reach the "Orange Bowl" than the BAC.
depending on where you are in Miami, absolutely. For me in South Miami, the times are comparable and usually longer to get to Marlins Park

because of the nightmare that is 836.

Marlins Park is accessible by mass transit.
metro rail to a buss is not viable mass transit in south florida.

Besides, we're talking about the Triple AAA, not Little Havana. If you really are from SoFla, you should know all of this.

downtown is even worse. getting to the AAA is an absolute nightmare. It's why even for NBA playoff games most fans struggle to show up on time. And please don't use the mass transit excuse. Maybe 10% of people who go to games use mass transit. Everyone else drives. The only reason Bayside is so popular after games is because people would rather have a drink then sit in a parking lot for 45 minutes waiting to leave.

We have had this discussion before, you were wrong then, and you are wrong now.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
depending on where you are in Miami, absolutely. For me in South Miami, the times are comparable and usually longer to get to Marlins Park

because of the nightmare that is 836.

metro rail to a buss is not viable mass transit in south florida.

downtown is even worse. getting to the AAA is an absolute nightmare. It's why even for NBA playoff games most fans struggle to show up on time. And please don't use the mass transit excuse. Maybe 10% of people who go to games use mass transit. Everyone else drives. The only reason Bayside is so popular after games is because people would rather have a drink then sit in a parking lot for 45 minutes waiting to leave.

We have had this discussion before, you were wrong then, and you are wrong now.

Wrong? Give me a f***ing break. I used to live near the intersection of 75th St. and 59th Ave. in South Miami; near Sunset Place and Univ. of Miami. I used the MetroRail stop right there and connecting buses to get around rather than sit my ass in US-1 traffic, much the way some may do on I-75 for Panthers games. I grew up in Kendall and used to take the MetroRail to reach the old Miami Arena for Panthers games (and later Matadors and Manatees games). Just because you CHOOSE to not use mass transit doesn't make me wrong. It makes you lazy. Don't be an asshole. I live in Brooklyn now and don't miss driving one bit. Commuting is a huge factor in fan support in SoFla and the Panthers playing in the middle of nowhere is a huge factor in the shit attendance.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Wrong? Give me a ****ing break. I used to live near the intersection of 75th St. and 59th Ave. in South Miami; near Sunset Place and Univ. of Miami. I used the MetroRail stop right there and connecting buses to get around rather than sit my ass in US-1 traffic, much the way some may do on I-75 for Panthers games. I grew up in Kendall and used to take the MetroRail to reach the old Miami Arena for Panthers games (and later Matadors and Manatees games). Just because you CHOOSE to not use mass transit doesn't make me wrong. It makes you lazy. Don't be an *******. I live in Brooklyn now and don't miss driving one bit. Commuting is a huge factor in fan support in SoFla and the Panthers playing in the middle of nowhere is a huge factor in the **** attendance.
just because you did it, it doesn't mean that others do. A vast majority of people in south florida do not use mass transit at all and definitely don't use it to go to sporting events. So yes, you are wrong. The possibility of mass transit to downtown or Marlins Park is irrelevant because people don't use it. It's not convenient nor is it efficient unless you live in walking distance of a station and even then taking it at night is extremely inconvenient.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
just because you did it, it doesn't mean that others do. A vast majority of people in south florida do not use mass transit at all and definitely don't use it to go to sporting events. So yes, you are wrong. The possibility of mass transit to downtown or Marlins Park is irrelevant because people don't use it. It's not convenient nor is it efficient unless you live in walking distance of a station and even then taking it at night is extremely inconvenient.

So you're too dainty for mass transit. Gotcha.

No sense in arguing as the Panthers lease in Broward isn't eternal and highly unlikely to be extended if they keep maintaining vendetta's standard of excellence. Fan morale should be a hoot following Vegas' Stanley Cup.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
So you're too dainty for mass transit. Gotcha.

No sense in arguing as the Panthers lease in Broward isn't eternal and highly unlikely to be extended if they keep maintaining vendetta's standard of excellence. Fan morale should be a hoot following Vegas' Stanley Cup.
I actually take the metro rail to work every day. I wouldn't take it to a sporting event at night because it is not a good experience. Also, you can call me and others dainty all you want, but the fact is that most people do not take mass transit to sporting events. It is a fact of life in SFL. Mass transit is not an argument for why the Panthers should play at the AAA.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I actually take the metro rail to work every day. I wouldn't take it to a sporting event at night because it is not a good experience. Also, you can call me and others dainty all you want, but the fact is that most people do not take mass transit to sporting events. It is a fact of life in SFL. Mass transit is not an argument for why the Panthers should play at the AAA.

Chiming in here. As someone who lives in Toronto, I guess it's a rarity that the TTC (toronto's transit system) has mass transit + other regional transit agencies a few blocks from both the Jays and Leafs home arenas/parks. Didn't know that in other places this isn't the norm.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
right, so moving to sunrise didn't lead to lack of interest. a terrible product did.
Would attendance be better in Sunrise with a better product. Maybe. Would it be better in Miami with a baetter product? For sure. If sunrise was so great, why didn't the Dolphins move to Mirimar or Coral Springs when they had the chance?

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Tri-Rail is expanding downtown next year. That will change the game. Right now it goes to the airport.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Probably the best kept secret in hockey is how tiny the gap between average players and excellent players is. Guys like Ovechkin and Crosby are one of a kind but there are dozens of players in the league who could be 70-80 point guys if they just slightly improved one or two things in their game. Something as small as working on your shot can let you start the season with a few more goals instead of posts, which leads to you getting more icetime, which leads to you becoming more comfortable and continuing scoring goals, etc. Or a guy who holds onto the puck too long and overthinks plays has an intuitive game where he quickly gets rid of the puck and generates a bunch of offense, and suddenly it comes to him and now he's gone from Josh Bailey to John Tavares (or pre Sundin Kesler to post Sundin Kesler). Kuznetsov is a prime example, started off slow but just unlocked more and more abilities each season after gradually getting adjusted to NHL space/pace/playstyles and realizing when he has all the time in the world and when he needs to get rid of the puck ASAP.

Going to Vegas allowed all these guys to play with no stress and execute plays without second guessing themselves, which added enough pace and accuracy to their game to have them go from middling to high end players. The gap is really that small.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
That was a good read. Why doesn't HFBoards have more well-thought posts like that?

I agree about analytics - not enough has been said about how it can go wrong. There is no advanced stat you can look at in a vacuum, without seeing the players perform to provide some sort of frame. Especially limitations of players. Some do what they do excellently, but coaches knowingly limit what they do on the ice. Some play a complex game, maybe even more risky, but how would you know if they could succeed in a different role? You can't pick a player from a team, and expect him to exactly replicate his performance on another team.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Chiming in here. As someone who lives in Toronto, I guess it's a rarity that the TTC (toronto's transit system) has mass transit + other regional transit agencies a few blocks from both the Jays and Leafs home arenas/parks. Didn't know that in other places this isn't the norm.
It’s not a rarity. It’s just that miami is one of the worst worst designed cities in the world and as an extension of that, the mass transit system is horrible.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Would attendance be better in Sunrise with a better product. Maybe. Would it be better in Miami with a baetter product? For sure. If sunrise was so great, why didn't the Dolphins move to Mirimar or Coral Springs when they had the chance?
The Dolphins did move north. They went 30 minutes north from Little Havana to right on the Dade/Broward line when joe Robbie built what is now know as Hard Rock Stadium. At the time that was as far north as they could viably go. Broward county had a much larger population when the Panthers moved. Sunrise is also right in the middle of the South Florida hockey community. And yes, Broward was the heart of the Hockey community even before the move. Nevermind that your analogy makes no sense. Why wouldn’t you expect games in sunrise to sell out if the team is good? This town shows up to events regardless of where they are.

Tri-Rail is expanding downtown next year. That will change the game. Right now it goes to the airport.
Brightline is coming. Hopefully it helps get cars off the road but I have way too many doubts to count on it.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The Dolphins did move north. They went 30 minutes north from Little Havana to right on the Dade/Broward line when joe Robbie built what is now know as Hard Rock Stadium. At the time that was as far north as they could viably go. Broward county had a much larger population when the Panthers moved. Sunrise is also right in the middle of the South Florida hockey community. And yes, Broward was the heart of the Hockey community even before the move. Nevermind that your analogy makes no sense. Why wouldn’t you expect games in sunrise to sell out if the team is good? This town shows up to events regardless of where they are.

Brightline is coming. Hopefully it helps get cars off the road but I have way too many doubts to count on it.
Because Sunrise is harder to get to then Miami? It's off the beaten path for sure. I think Panthers would do better for sure in Miami. Suburbs have been awful to the coyotes as well. I think Brightline and the coastal link makes the case for Miami vs Sunrise.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Because Sunrise is harder to get to then Miami? It's off the beaten path for sure. I think Panthers would do better for sure in Miami. Suburbs have been awful to the coyotes as well. I think Brightline and the coastal link makes the case for Miami vs Sunrise.

Doesn’t matter where this team played. If they start winning consistently, I have no doubt attendance will improve.

Reactions: Beezeral

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Were they better this year than last year? End of discussion

I’ll take sure signs of progress over what happened last year. They are clearly back on the right track

Stop. Now. The improvement in play has almost nothing to do with Tallon and his moves.

They played better than last year because compared to last season, this year...
- Huberdeau played 51 more games
- Barkov played 18 more games
- Ekblad played 14 more games and without 2 lingering concussions
- Matheson wasn't a rookie
- Bjugstad played 28 more games and wasn't liquid trash hurting the team every single play
- Dadonov was brought in
- They had an an actual coach who the players actually respected who ran an actual system
- They brought in a proven asst coach to help organize the defensive corps

Tallon gets credit for brining in Dadonov, and I guess he gets credit for the coaches. But I feel like assembling a coaching that doesn't actively hurt your team's morale and waste their skill is a pretty low bar to set.

But anyone who tries to pretend like it was shipping off Demers, Smith, and Marchessault and replacing them with Dadonov, McGinn and Michael Haley that led to the jump in the standings (not the cataclysmic injuries) is just plugging a false narrative. Seriously. I shouldn't even have to say any of this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad