What the Florida Panthers have been doing the last 2 years-long read

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
[mod] Vegas came in at the perfect time to take advantage of Florida's dysfunction. This was the Panthers fault. Florida's GMs and owner at the time should have read the room before firing Gallant. Florida could have given up a #6 dman in Mark Pysyk and Vegas winds up finishing like 23rd in the league.

Last edited by a moderator:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Appreciate the kind words

Very informative good read but I doubt anyone will have time for this unless really interested.

I have memes too:

amFtRKF.jpg

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
A shitshow.

I will never get why Florida ended up protecting any of Bjugstad, Petrovic and Pysyk over Marchessault. By simply swapping JAM and Bjugstad, Vegas would have likely selected a big contract (Demers, Smith, maybe Bjugstad) anyway.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Why would Vegas have been interested in Bjugstad? He's not a crap player but certainly nothing special. He got moved up to serious top 6 minutes this year (even spent some time with Barkov in highlights I watched) and managed 49 points. Not necessarily crap, but hey. Bjugs showed some nice hustle in the clips I watched but he also had some serious problems burying the cookie (unlike Dadonov). 19 goals. Marchessault had 30 last year.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
A ****show.

I will never get why Florida ended up protecting any of Bjugstad, Petrovic and Pysyk over Marchessault. By simply swapping JAM and Bjugstad, Vegas would have likely selected a big contract (Demers, Smith, maybe Bjugstad) anyway.
It was pretty widely known Petrovic was going to be taken. Gallant liked him and he was coming off a solid year, also March would not have been included if Vegas was going to take Smith. Like I said in the long post Smith was really bad. A different GM would have allowed Petrovic to be taken and found a way to move Smith with a different incentive, or kept him and hoped for a rebound.

Our board is always fighting but no one is going to argue that in '16-'17 Smith, Demers, and Bjugstad were bad (Demers and Bjugs especially).

If you're Vegas, an expansion team: solid 3rd pairing guy who your coach likes and is cheap

or

inconsistent forward signed long-term at a pretty high salary

McPhee was very lucky as he was going to pick Petro. Florida forced Smith onto his team.

Why would Vegas have been interested in Bjugstad? He's not a crap player but certainly nothing special. He got moved up to serious top 6 minutes this year (even spent some time with Barkov in highlights I watched) and managed 49 points. Not necessarily crap, but hey. Bjugs showed some nice hustle in the clips I watched but he also had some serious problems burying the cookie (unlike Dadonov). 19 goals. Marchessault had 30 last year.

You could make a pretty strong argument that production for $ wise Bjugstad was the worst player in the league in 2017. Rebounded nicely this year but no chance at the time. Same with Demers. Struggled mightily in transition and in his own end all season.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
It was pretty widely known Petrovic was going to be taken. Gallant liked him and he was coming off a solid year, also March would not have been included if Vegas was going to take Smith. Like I said in the long post Smith was really bad. A different GM would have allowed Petrovic to be taken and found a way to move Smith with a different incentive, or kept him and hoped for a rebound.

Our board is always fighting but no one is going to argue that in '16-'17 Smith, Demers, and Bjugstad were bad (Demers and Bjugs especially).

If you're Vegas, an expansion team: solid 3rd pairing guy who your coach likes and is cheap

or

inconsistent forward signed long-term at a pretty high salary

McPhee was very lucky as he was going to pick Petro. Florida forced Smith onto his team.

You could make a pretty strong argument that production for $ wise Bjugstad was the worst player in the league in 2017. Rebounded nicely this year but no chance at the time. Same with Demers. Struggled mightily in transition and in his own end all season.
There was a scenario in which both Petrovic and Marchessault could have been kept; just protect JAM over Bjugstad and ask literally any other team about taking on Smith/Bjugstad.

You could argue that failing to clear enough cap would have cost them elsewhere (Dadonov?), but with every team losing depth to Vegas, surely there were other options on the table?

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Hello all, I typically don't use Reddit but I made a thread as a one off and it was well received so I thought I'd upload it here. I was supposed to upload it the next day after I put it on reddit but HF is slow af for me recently.

Huberdeau got his Achilles’ tendon cut not an ACL. And Viola was the one who fired Gallant over the phone.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
No excuses for giving up Marchessault. 30 goal scorer who should have been retained, or at the very least traded at some point for a high pick (that Vegas couldn’t touch). Bad GM is bad, whether he’s also bitter or not is immaterial at this stage.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Wow, what a train wreck. It’s gotta be pretty disheartening to be a panthers fan right now.

Not for me, as long as Viola allows management to do their job. We have a solid future ahead of us. We are already right there as far as being a playoff team, and a couple of pieces away from being serious contenders. I think ownership have learned their lesson, and will allow Tallon and co. to do their job.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'm amazed there are people out there that care about the Panthers
Some of us really love hockey, not just the teams we cheer for. I'm always interested in behind the scenes stuff, one of the best hockey books I ever read (Future Greats and Heartbreaks - Gare Joyce) is all about the Columbus Blue Jackets' approach to the 2006 NHL draft. Fascinating read for a hockey hardcore like me.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Some of us really love hockey, not just the teams we cheer for. I'm always interested in behind the scenes stuff, one of the best hockey books I ever read (Future Greats and Heartbreaks - Gare Joyce) is all about the Columbus Blue Jackets' approach to the 2006 NHL draft. Fascinating read for a hockey hardcore like me.
I know, I found it interesting as well. It just seems like literally no one cares about the Panthers.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00