What the Bruins are doing/What you'd like to see this off-season 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
A lot (not all) of the Loui hate comes from fans with tear-stained #19 jerseys in their closet. :sarcasm:

I am one of the not all's, I agreed with dealing Seguin. Eriksson showed me nothing last year. Not basing his play on what he did in Dallas just in Boston he looks like a third liner with limited offensive ability at 4 million a year.

For all the screaming this board does about get rid of Kelly, Eriksson does not show me much more. Kelly has better intangibles and physical game, Eriksson has better speed.

If you are looking to save cap space I start with Bartkowski and then move to Eriksson.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
I would like to see management give an update to their next 5 years plan and address the issues with developing forwards in Providence. Outside of that I am rather content.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I would like to see management give an update to their next 5 years plan and address the issues with developing forwards in Providence. Outside of that I am rather content.

I agree I'd love them to replace Benning with rotating HF members who have been registered for 5 years

David Krejci*

We must continue to employ journeymen just to take draws. It's huge.

Way to not answer my question.

Campbell isn't the problem on this team. He's not signed to a ridiculous deal, there is not reason to move him at all.

So again, I'll ask, who takes the faceoff and plays on the 2nd pk if you were to get rid of Campbell? It wouldn't be Spooner or Khoklachev, I'll tell you that.

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
So you ignore the overall conversion percentages, and zero in on one single series to conclude that our PP is bad and our PP coach should be fired?

PP stats never tell the full tale that's why you can't use them to judge the strength of the pp. Despite being third in the league in terms of percentage the b's were near the bottom when it came to pp goals when down a goal. Hell that's all Brick used to ***** about. It's not the pp percentage or how many goals you score it's when you score them. The B's were great at putting pp goals in while leading by two or more but they hardly if ever scored on the pp when down a goal. Ignila had 4ppg all year with the B's (his second lowest full season total ever). He had 4 just with the Pens last year.

And you don't consider the fact that our best players failed to show up in the series that you cite?

Those best players are on the pp you know. The pp that didn't show up. The pp that gave up sh goals. The same pp that ran the same play the habs saw all year and snuffed out. A good pp coach changes things up. Ward doesn't do that. It's the same over and over

Good grief.

We lost to the Habs for several reasons, but our PP wasn't and isn't the problem that you make it out to be.

3-18 is a big reason they lost

Care to share our PK statistics from the same postseason??

since you like stats you post em. after all they tell the whole tale right? . They were 8th in the regular season in terms of percentage. Looking at the stats you think they were great but if you actually watched the games you know they sucked on the pk from the end of dec onward. If you watched the games you would know that those long runs of killing 25+penalties in earlier in the season skew their overall percentage which if why you can't use pk and pp percentages to tell the whole tale. You eyes are a better judge then percentages when it comes to the pp and pk.

Last edited:

David Krejci*

It's not just an issue of developing forwards, it's an issue of drafting forwards as well. Other than obvious picks of Seguin and Hamilton, Chiarelli has drafted nobody. Spooner and Khoklachev seem to be developing okay, but both of them are centers, and we are already loaded at center. Saad should've been the pick in 2011, not Khoklachev. It was so obvious and I could not believe it when I saw that they had drafted a tiny skilled perimeter playing Russian, over a big, skilled, speedy North American style playing winger.

That pick has hurt them not only in 2013, but this year as well. Maybe Khoklachev will turn out to be a good player, I don't know. But he doesn't seem like a fit here unless he can convert to wing at the NHL level, and even then, you'll never get the 2013 and 2014 playoffs back.

I don't know if it's scouting, or what. But they have to do a better job at drafting forwards, right now their track record is dog ****.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Way to not answer my question. Campbell isn't the problem on this team. He's not signed to a ridiculous deal, there is not reason to move him at all. So again, I'll ask, who takes the faceoff and plays on the 2nd pk if you were to get rid of Campbell? It wouldn't be Spooner or Khoklachev, I'll tell you that.

But journeymen are one problem on this team when in reality they peaked two years ago. Florek will handle penalty kill duty as he did during his call up, and quite well. Remember in the Detroit series when he tied up the puck in the corner for 30 seconds just with his feet. Faceoffs will be handled by Spooner or Khokhlachev in that scenario and they will win their fair share. That's the good news.

Last edited:

qc

Aug 23, 2011
PP stats never tell the full tale that's why you can't use them to judge the strength of the pp. Despite being third in the league in terms of percentage the b's were near the bottom when it came to pp goals when down a goal. Hell that's all Brick used to ***** about. It's not the pp percentage or how many goals you score it's when you score them. The B's were great at putting pp goals in while leading by two or more but they hardly if ever scored on teh pp when down a goal.

You seem to think that I'm arguing that our PP was good in the MTL series... it wasn't. What I'm arguing is that our powerplay was one of the best in the league for 82 games, and it was more than successful to get us past the 2nd round, even in lieu of it struggling in the MTL series. Now you can use your seven game sample size to conclude that our PP sucks and Ward must be fired, but I'll continue to look at the big picture and big sample size to conclude otherwise.

Those best players are on the pp you know. The pp that didn't show up. The same pp that ran the same play the habs saw all year and snuff out. A good pp coach changes things up. Ward doesn't do that. It's the same over and over

That's my point! The players didn't show up! Has nothing to do with Ward. Are you essentially blaming Ward for putting the best players out on the PP? And not changing it up? What should he have done, kidnap Giroux? Stop giving the players a pass when they sucked when it mattered most.

since you like stats you post em. after all they tell the whole tale right? . They were 8th in the regular season in terms of percentage. Looking at the stats you think they were great but if you actually watch the games you know they sucked on the pk from the end of dec onward. If you watched the games you would know that those long runs of killing 25+penalties in earlier int eh season skew their overall percentage which if why pk and pp percentages don't tell the whole tale
Our postseason PK was a hair under 78%. Is that not a glaringly uncharacteristic %?

What you initially suggested (in a thread titled "what would you like to see this offseason") was for us to fire Ward and bring in Adam Oates to coach the PP. I find that asinine because 1) the powerplay was fine for the previous 85ish games and 2) the players collectively sucked in the MTL series, regardless of the situation (PK, PP, etc). You fault the coaching, but I do not. I blame the players for playing successfully within our PP framework for the entire season, up until when it mattered most. It's not 2011 anymore.. the PP is fine, its coaching is fine, and the player personnel is fine.

This team has won it all in spite of a joke of a PP, but we had goaltending, ES success, and a world-class PK. But then again, if I "actually watched the games" I'd have likely realized that Ward singlehandedly held back our top scorers from playing up to expectations. :laugh:

There was a time when it was logical to question Ward's competence at running the PP. That time is over, for now at least. We had our best players collapse when it mattered most, and yes that includes the PP, but it was hardly the series-determining factor that you make it out be.

David Krejci*

But journeymen are one problem on this team when in reality they peaked two years ago. Florek will handle penalty kill duty as he did during his call up, and quite well. Remember in the Detroit series when he tied up the puck in the corner for 30 seconds just with his feet. Faceoffs will be handled by Spooner or Khokhlachev in that scenario and they will win their fair share. That's the good news.
No they are not the problem, at all. Florek is a nice little player, and he will get his chance to compete for that 4th line RW spot, but if you're going to talk about how he tied up the puck for 30 seconds, you should also mention that he played himself right out of the lineup a game later, and we didn't see him again for the rest of the season.

If you think Spooner or Khoklachev are penalty killers, then I don't think I need to continue this conversation because you don't pay any attention to anything.

member 96824

Way to not answer my question.

Campbell isn't the problem on this team. He's not signed to a ridiculous deal, there is not reason to move him at all.

So again, I'll ask, who takes the faceoff and plays on the 2nd pk if you were to get rid of Campbell? It wouldn't be Spooner or Khoklachev, I'll tell you that.

You could probably get a Greg Campbell type at half the price of Greg Campbell, maybe a little more. The league is littered with 4th line grinding centers.

And FWIW, Spooner played the PK and played it very well before he got sick his first call up.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Campbell's still a decent player. It's the fact, as J said, you can find someone who fills in perfectly for probably half the cost.

David Krejci*

Campbell's still a decent player. It's the fact, as J said, you can find someone who fills in perfectly for probably half the cost.
Okay, fine, but don't tell me that Florek or Spooner or Khoklachev are the guys to fill that role, because they're not.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Okay, fine, but don't tell me that Florek or Spooner or Khoklachev are the guys to fill that role, because they're not.

Probably equally as bad dropping the mitts though;)

I would view a move of either Koko or Spooner to center the 4th as a step back. Thorty done, now let`s get soft:help:

It almost would seem (to me) that this would be nothing more than a pushing a kid in the lineup in a spot where he is set up to fail.

I really have little issues with Soupy staying, bring in a winger with some foot speed, who can keep a guy or two a bit honest, and can take/give a pass. I know it won`t bring fans here outta their seats, but I see a guy like Thorburn being more than capable of filling the role

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8W01mXbYFQ&feature=kp

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I am one of the not all's, I agreed with dealing Seguin. Eriksson showed me nothing last year. Not basing his play on what he did in Dallas just in Boston he looks like a third liner with limited offensive ability at 4 million a year.

For all the screaming this board does about get rid of Kelly, Eriksson does not show me much more. Kelly has better intangibles and physical game, Eriksson has better speed.

If you are looking to save cap space I start with Bartkowski and then move to Eriksson.

That and he produced offense at double the rate of Chris Kelly.

I like both of them, and would gladly have both on the team $ permitting. Also would freely agree that Loui looked nothing like he did in his prime years in Dallas. But acting like Loui is a complete black hole is also pretty disingenuous. He didn't play up to expectations offensively, but he still produced on par with our higher end mid 6 guys including Marchand, Smith and Soderberg.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
You could probably get a Greg Campbell type at half the price of Greg Campbell, maybe a little more. The league is littered with 4th line grinding centers.

And FWIW, Spooner played the PK and played it very well before he got sick his first call up.

It's a good thought. I wouldn't put Spooner in that spot personally but filling it at a lesser cost isn't a bad idea. You've got a guys like Handzus and Malhotra making half Campbell's $ last year. I think you could fill that role with a legit vet at a cap savings.

David Krejci*

Probably equally as bad dropping the mitts though;)

I would view a move of either Koko or Spooner to center the 4th as a step back. Thorty done, now let`s get soft:help:

It almost would seem (to me) that this would be nothing more than a pushing a kid in the lineup in a spot where he is set up to fail.

I really have little issues with Soupy staying, bring in a winger with some foot speed, who can keep a guy or two a bit honest, and can take/give a pass. I know it won`t bring fans here outta their seats, but I see a guy like Thorburn being more than capable of filling the role

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8W01mXbYFQ&feature=kp
Agreed.

member 96824

It's a good thought. I wouldn't put Spooner in that spot personally but filling it at a lesser cost isn't a bad idea. You've got a guys like Handzus and Malhotra making half Campbell's $ last year. I think you could fill that role with a legit vet at a cap savings.

Absolutely. In such a cap tight situation, you look at Campbell and a situation where just may have a chance to save $800K or so and get the same or very similar of a player. Every little bit counts...just like how every little bit counted to get us here in the first place

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
We move on from Kelly, Campbell & Thornton up front and Bartkowski from the back end. Would like to see Spooner center the 4th line, much like Marchand did at LW starting off his Bruins career, this way it helps to prepare him for a 3rd line center role as his career progresses, it also lets the Bruins have a in-house replacement if any of our top 3 centers get injured. Not to mention it adds speed to the lineup. Kelly's and Campbell's replacements can potentially come from Providence, speed needs to be added to this lineup. We will still have enough toughness with Lucic, Iggy, Chara, McQuaid/Miller for those who worry about that.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Haggs just tweeted that our cap is 4.75m lower because of bonus money earned by Iggy, Krug, Hamilton and a little for Spooner. Think ELC's to round out the roster.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
In hindsight, signing Iginla and being aggressive during a year where Chiarelli felt like the cup wandow was open was still a good move.

However, coming up short of the goal makes the cap penalty sting that much more because now you're short a piece the following year.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
David Booth. I really like the thought of him coming. In a sea of crap, this idea interests me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad