What the Bruins are doing/What you'd like to see this off-season 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Krejci*

Priority number 1 for this offseason for me has been to deal Marchand plus draft picks for a real upgrade on Iginla on the 1st line. We need to do better than 37/38 year old Iginla in that spot or else we aren't winning anything.

Marchand+ whatever combination of Khoklachev+Spooner+Subban for top 6 RW who can score

Trade Kelly, McQuaid for cap relief.

Lucic-Krejci-UPGRADE (Eberle, Pavelski, Ryan kind of player. Not Evander Kane as some have suggested)
Smith-Bergeron-Eriksson
Paille-Soderberg-? (Fraser?)
?-Campbell-?

The Bruins have a lot of young guys who can compete for spots in the bottom 6. Jeremy Morin is available for trade, I would like to see him play with Soderberg, I'd deal a draft pick for him. Also guys like Camara, Cunninghman, Griffith, Lindblad are all wingers who could compete for those spots.

Depending on the cap room once you get that 1st line upgrade, maybe you can sign a veteran guy for cheap to fill out whatever spot you need to down there on the bottom 6.

David Krejci*

This whole off-season feels like the Chris Bourque year. We know there are holes, but our "capologist" blew it again. Now we have to watch multiple subpar Providence filler attempt to play over their heads. Eriksson may be able to fill the first line hole, but who plays with Yeti? Fraser does not impress me and Florek is more of a 4th liner. Can someone talk me out of the pit of despair? Miracle Max?

I think you mean 2012. But that year could've been completely avoided by re-signing Michael Ryder.

I'm of the opinion that Julien has a Kelly clone on his 4th line (Paille). Bump Paille to 3LW. I can't imagine it'd be difficult to find a 4LW (Providence?). Paille brings more speed than Kelly also. Kelly's faceoff % was less than 50% last season. His +/- was ranked super low on the team. These are all categories where Kelly is supposed to excel, where he used to excel. He's faded. Söderberg took his spot. Paille has been great with added icetime when skating on the 3rd line.

I just don't see the benefit of keeping Kelly at that cap hit.

I'm 100% with you on moving Paille to the 3rd line. He's been great for us for the last two years, really improved his goal scoring. He's absolutely 3rd line talent. Now that the merlot line is broken up with Thornton's departure, Paille should be bumped up.

David Krejci*

Wasn't Chris Bourque last year?

Yes. It seems so long ago, I too for a second thought it was 2011-2012. But my point stands, if they re-signed Ryder after 2011, they would've been in much better shape in the playoffs with goal scoring, and probably would've beat Washington and had a chance to really defend their title.

norwoodmustang

Jul 29, 2005
Norwood, MA USA
This whole off-season feels like the Chris Bourque year. We know there are holes, but our "capologist" blew it again. Now we have to watch multiple subpar Providence filler attempt to play over their heads. Eriksson may be able to fill the first line hole, but who plays with Yeti? Fraser does not impress me and Florek is more of a 4th liner. Can someone talk me out of the pit of despair? Miracle Max?
Keep in mind the cap dropped because of the lockout year, which I'm sure wasn't factored in when signing guys to some of these deals. If the cap was $5-$7million higher a deal like Kelly's doesn't look so bad.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Yes. It seems so long ago, I too for a second thought it was 2011-2012. But my point stands, if they re-signed Ryder after 2011, they would've been in much better shape in the playoffs with goal scoring, and probably would've beat Washington and had a chance to really defend their title.

Yea, I wasn't sure if it was last year or 2012. 2012 was Pouliot. As for the playoffs, I guess they were banking on Horton being healthy. If not, they should have went out and gotten something to replace him. Rolston wasn't terrible, but they needed something else. They weren't winning another Cup without Horton, especially since they had to ride Thomas once Rask and Khudobin got hurt.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I don't think it's a blessing in disguise. I think it's an inevitability brought on by the basket overflowing with eggs in 2013-14.

Only in the sense that the Bruins don't have to pay out big to retain a 37 year old player who is bank in the regular season, but less so in the post. And, again, I *think* the playoffs showed us that two heavy, relatively slow guys in Iggy & Looch on the first line did not get it done. Maybe they would do fabulously next year in the second season, but my gut says no. Which is why, "gaping hole" or no, it may be time to move on from Jarome.

The Bruins are in cap hell, a circumstance that must be addressed one way or another. Without a major Igman hit, signing Svedberg as backup, saying goodbye to Bart, and -- you guys know better than me -- trading Boychuck or Marchand -- perhaps all ends *relatively* well. Consider the alternatives.

Again, both Adam and Chris & are big trade question marks because of significant recent injury history. If both are healthy, let each compete come training camp.

It's a cruel, cruel summer. :)

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
I'm 100% with you on moving Paille to the 3rd line. He's been great for us for the last two years, really improved his goal scoring. He's absolutely 3rd line talent. Now that the merlot line is broken up with Thornton's departure, Paille should be bumped up.

This is dream weaver material. Paille has not surpassed 20 points in the last five seasons. Khokhlachev could contribute 20 points playing with one hand on his hockey stick.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
This is dream weaver material. Paille has not surpassed 20 points in the last five seasons. Khokhlachev could contribute 20 points playing with one hand on his hockey stick.

Last year he had 17 in 46 games. This year he had 18 averaging 11 minutes per game. He would very easily surpass 20 playing more minutes with Soderberg.

David Krejci*

Yea, I wasn't sure if it was last year or 2012. 2012 was Pouliot. As for the playoffs, I guess they were banking on Horton being healthy. If not, they should have went out and gotten something to replace him. Rolston wasn't terrible, but they needed something else. They weren't winning another Cup without Horton, especially since they had to ride Thomas once Rask and Khudobin got hurt.

Agreed. Horton being hurt killed them, I still hated letting Ryder walk though. He was always so good in the playoffs and brought an element that they really didn't have, with his shot. When they only traded for guys like Rolston and Zanon and Mottau, I kind of feared the worst.

But yeah them running Thomas into the ground was as big of a reason as any. Even though it was a a low scoring series vs Washington, he still didn't look like himself. They did not need those points in the regular season, they could've thrown out Turco for a few games and just bit the bullet. They don't do a good enough job of resting guys down the stretch. We saw it affect Chara big time last year.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Last year he had 17 in 46 games. This year he had 18 averaging 11 minutes per game. He would very easily surpass 20 playing more minutes with Soderberg.

And Khokhlachev could easily surpass 40 playing with Soderberg. I only know who I prefer and it's not close.

David Krejci*

Anyway, for the billionth time, it's not all about points, like 90% of HF would like to believe. But even if it was, like that guy above said, Paille had nearly 20 points in half a season last year, and that was playing with Campbell and Thornton. Paille absolutely has the skills to be a good 3rd line player. Especially with what he does in the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

David Krejci*

And Khokhlachev could easily surpass 40 playing with Soderberg. I only know who I prefer and it's not close.

I'll take this guy in the playoffs over a kid who has never played a second in the NHL and has to transition to a different position in the process:

If you want to win another Cup, they have to upgrade on Iginla in that first line spot. To do that, they're going to have to deal Marchand and their top prospects. It so happens that our top prospects are misfits here (due to bad drafting by Chiarelli), so yes, they should and probably will be traded.

Last edited by a moderator:

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Bruins with Kelly 60-19-2 (81 games/122 points)
Bruins without Kelly 22-15-7 (44 games/51 points)

Kelly plays the Bruins win, not lost on Chiarelli

I hope he isn't using numbers like that, because that's correlation, not causation.

Kelly missed 25 games this year. 12/8/13 to 1/27/13 (22 games) was the majority of that time. The Bruins record in that stretch (14-7-1). But furthering that, 15 of those games were also without Eriksson (and Seidenberg). In the 7 game stretch between Eriksson's return and Kelly's the Bruins went 5-1-1. So in the other 15 games, the Bruins went 9-6-0. The other 3 games were at the end of the season when the Bruins were shuttling starters in and out of the lineup.

Wouldn't the stronger conclusion there be that the Bruins were an average team when they were missing 2 top 9 forwards?

Even last year. When Kelly was out, the Bruins lineup featured BOTH Jordan Caron and Jay Pandolfo. So for me, it's more damning of the Bruins ability to draft viable replacements to step in for injury than it is attributing some magic winning formula to just having Chris Kelly in the lineup.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
If you want to win another Cup, they have to upgrade on Iginla in that first line spot. To do that, they're going to have to deal Marchand and their top prospects. It so happens that our top prospects are misfits here (due to bad drafting by Chiarelli), so yes, they should and probably will be traded.

That makes it 201 times now. Just can't stop.

TSBruins13

Mar 24, 2011
Boston, MA

I am very thankful you don't have the power to choose our lineup. If Khokhlachev could "easily surpass 40....." he would be in the lineup. I'd rather Paille in the line-up every day of the week and twice on Sunday than have Khokhlachev playing. Sure, maybe in a few years he will be putting up points but today...doubtful.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
UFA Devin Setoguchi will be someone's reclamation project. Speedy natural right wing who has scored 30 but had a crap year in Winnipeg.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
I am very thankful you don't have the power to choose our lineup. If Khokhlachev could "easily surpass 40....." he would be in the lineup. I'd rather Paille in the line-up every day of the week and twice on Sunday than have Khokhlachev playing. Sure, maybe in a few years he will be putting up points but today...doubtful.

Be patient until training camp and see which players perform. Time is on the side of talented youth and it won't take a few more years. We disagree. If one or more of the prospects are indeed traded, it becomes a moot discussion, but hopefully it would be for a better player.

Last edited:

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
"My source in Philadelphia at #NHLDraft is telling me to expect #NHLBruins to make a deal this weekend. Marchand's name being mentioned" - Shawn Hutcheon - The Fourth Period. I hope Marchy isn't being traded...

HanktheHammer*

UFA Devin Setoguchi will be someone's reclamation project. Speedy natural right wing who has scored 30 but had a crap year in Winnipeg.

Man. I liked Setoguchi when he was a Junior. I thought he was going to be a star in this league, but something went wrong. I don't know how his level of play dropped off after having the one good season in San Jose. It was kind of like the same situation with Jonathan Cheechoo. I think both played on a line with Joe Thornton at one time, but still they should have an impact on their team.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Hoping Kelly can be dumped in a separate deal similar to Peverley last year. Doubt anybody will be interested in an injury riddled 4th line player at $3 Million for two more years. At least not right now. I'm sure most teams will explore the free agent market before even considering Kelly at that price. Chiarelli's own fault... better find a way to fix it.

gravybutt

May 16, 2014
"My source in Philadelphia at #NHLDraft is telling me to expect #NHLBruins to make a deal this weekend. Marchand's name being mentioned" - Shawn Hutcheon - The Fourth Period. I hope Marchy isn't being traded...

Not good. Not good at all.

David Krejci*

Not good. Not good at all.

Yes good. Yes very good. Hasn't done anything in the playoffs the last 3 years except he had a nice ECF last year. One of the biggest idiots in the NHL, more concerned with being a "pest" than actually playing hockey, takes the worst most unnecessary penalties. He has been more of a detriment than an actual contributor. Add in the diving and faking and BS, get him the **** out of here.

Also his speed is overrated. He's quick, but I wouldn't say he is necessarily very fast.

He was great in 2011, but it's time to deal him with prospects and get a legit scoring winger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad