What the Bruins are doing/What you'd like to see this off-season 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Just arrived and am not through the thread, but Iggy's agent is talking to other clubs, so this will factor in. As I mentioned in the Iggy thread, perhaps his landing elsewhere would be a blessing in disguise. He and Lucic together make sense in a way, but they are both too slow to play on the same line. Try Loui on the first line. Look to Providence. A trade is theoretically possible, too.

Interesting times.

This team is significantly worse without Iginla on it, especially if his roster spot is taken by someone in the AHL.

I don't think it's a blessing in disguise. I think it's an inevitability brought on by the basket overflowing with eggs in 2013-14.

patty... I noticed you wanting to keep Boychuk and Iginla re-signed. Kelly gone. Do you think that $7M is enough to get Krug, Iginla, Smith plus another two under contract? Because I don't think it comes anywhere close.

Kaoz*

Because:
a- Iginla hasnt signed and seems to be testing the market.
b-Chia said he wouldnt buyout Kelly and he has a NTC.

Perhaps he hasn't signed yet because everyone involved is waiting for some actual numbers in terms of salary cap this year as well as the Bruins overage penalty.

Hard for Chiarelli to negotiate when he doesn't yet know what he's working with.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Soderberg is just that much better at center, that I don't know why anyone would consider moving him back to the wing again. Night and day when that switch came about.

Do you remember around which time he switched? Even looking better at center, I thought he still looked really good on the wing.

I'd like to see a comparison in production for him on the wing vs. at center.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Do you remember around which time he switched? Even looking better at center, I thought he still looked really good on the wing.

Yes,he looked real good on the wing also.I would have no problem at all if Soderberg moved up into the top 6.It is great to have a strong 3rd line but it is only an advantage if lines 1 and 2 are also strong and that obviously was not the case in the playoffs.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

25 points in 32 games after being moved to center. .78 points/game

23 points in 41 games before. .56 points/game

I HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS IS ACCURATE. :laugh:

But I think it is... http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...g-just-fine/L3thhXerLBi5ND68FmM9rJ/story.html

Paces Soderberg to be at 64 points over an entire season at center. Which would have made him the team's second leading scorer.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Ok, so let's just take a look at the possible worst-case scenerio. Let's assume Iginla is gone, Caron and Bartowski are still here, they can't find a taker for Kelly, no UFAs are brought in, no trades are made. I'll give Smith and Krug both 2-year deals at 3.0 AAV, Bartowski the same 2-year deal given to Miller at 0.8 AAV. Fraser, Florek and Caron sign one year one-way deals at their qualifying offer. Presenting your 2014-15 Boston Bruins:

Lucic - 6.0 Krejci - 5.25 Eriksson - 4.25
Marchand - 4.25 Bergeron - 6.5 Smith (3.0)
Kelly - 3.0 Soderberg - 1.008333 Fraser 0.687500
Paille - 1.3 Campbell - 1.6 Caron - 0.704
Florek - 0.66

Chara - 6.916667 Hamilton - 0.894167
Seidenberg - 4.0 Boychuk - 3.366667
Krug - 3.0 McQuaid - 1.566667
Bartowski - 0.8 Miller - 0.8

Rask 7.0
Svedberg - 0.6

Total - 67.404001
Plus Overage 4.75
Grand Total - 72.154001

So even if Chia does nothing but the above, and the cap is at the high end 71 million, he can't even pay this roster, which is still a playoff team but a step back from the past 4 seasons for sure. Cap jail is an understatement. Yeah he can not carry 23 players, and sure you can sub in a different prospect like Spooner/Knight/Khoklachev over Fraser/Caron/Florek but it doesn't really make much difference cap-wise. Either way someone from Marchand/Eriksson/Kelly/Campbell/Paille/Boychuk/McQuaid is going. Just as well assume Iginla is gone.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Ok, so let's just take a look at the possible worst-case scenerio. Let's assume Iginla is gone, Caron and Bartowski are still here, they can't find a taker for Kelly, no UFAs are brought in, no trades are made. I'll give Smith and Krug both 2-year deals at 3.0 AAV, Bartowski the same 2-year deal given to Miller at 0.8 AAV. Fraser, Florek and Caron sign one year one-way deals at their qualifying offer. Presenting your 2014-15 Boston Bruins:

Florek - 0.66

Rask 7.0
Svedberg - 0.6

Total - 67.404001
Plus Overage 4.75
Grand Total - 72.154001

So even if Chia does nothing but the above, and the cap is at the high end 71 million, he can't even pay this roster, which is still a playoff team but a step back from the past 4 seasons for sure. Cap jail is an understatement. Yeah he can not carry 23 players, and sure you can sub in a different prospect like Spooner/Knight/Khoklachev over Fraser/Caron/Florek but it doesn't really make much difference cap-wise. Either way someone from Marchand/Eriksson/Kelly/Campbell/Paille/Boychuk/McQuaid is going. Just as well assume Iginla is gone.

I like it, but those aren't really tweaks. That's the same lineup just without Iginla and Thornton. He's looking to add speed upfront, I'm sure that's what he'll do tomorrow if theres a trade.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Fluto Shinzawa ‏@GlobeFluto 6m
Peter Chiarelli: Jarome Iginla will speak with other teams. Will keep Bruins in the loop if he gets close with another club.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Peter Chiarelli: Jarome Iginla will speak with other teams. Will keep Bruins in the loop if he gets close with another club.

He really needs to contact this man

1229789754_gullible202_xlarge.jpeg

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

UGH, this sucks. Mark my words, if he walks then in 6 months or so people are going to really wish he hadn't.

David Krejci*

lol at trading Boychuk for PA ****ing Parentau.

Get the **** out of here with that.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
UGH, this sucks. Mark my words, if he walks then in 6 months or so people are going to really wish he hadn't.

They won't if Chiarelli trades for Evander Kane. Of course, no trade for a quality player or decent signing will happen as long as Chris Kelly is on this team.

David Krejci*

Florek - 0.66

Rask 7.0
Svedberg - 0.6

Total - 67.404001
Plus Overage 4.75
Grand Total - 72.154001

People on here (not necessarily you) are just delusional when it comes to Kelly, there's no way that someone won't want him. It's just about whether or not you can get him to waive. Kelly has a lot of value, he is a good player, despite what some people on here think. You will absolutely find a team who will want him.

Same with McQuaid. He has had injury problems the last two years, but he is a very good bottom pairing defenseman, they will have absolutely no problem unloading him for a draft pick.

Kaoz*

NOW we're talkin.

Who do we draft there and does he play right off the hop?

Cause I would want a player that we could slot in right away. And I don't like Yakupov either. Just the destination/salary/situation made sense to me.

Honestly, I draft Ekblad at #1.

Makes too much sense with Chara approaching the end, with this team and coach, and with the kids obvious skill. We have enough offensive prospects, like 18 NHL ready centers or some ridiculous number, and don't seem to fair too well when drafting forwards in the 1 to 10 slots for whatever reason anyway.

This system is geared around defense and offense is generated from the backend. The more skilled a blue line they have the better off they'll be imo. Dougie, Morrow, Ekblad, sounds like a pretty skilled blueline for the future and would allow the Bruins to keep Chara, Boychuk, Seids and Hamilton together for the present. It's also easier to get top 6 fill-ins in the offseason and at the deadline then it is to pick up top pairing dmen.

Now, all that said, not sure how realistic it is for Florida to deal away the pick without getting another high 1st in return. They're bleeding money though and need to become competitive now, talk of relocating etc etc... What better way to do that then make a deal for an established player or two on the best team in the East? Maybe even take it a step further and send Krejci and something else their way for that 1st overall and a kid like Howden or some such nonsense (add whoever you fancy). I've always liked Kulikov's game and he's pretty much been on the outs down there for a season or two now.

Krejci aside, dealing a center seems the most logical move to make right now. We're thin on the wing (when are we not), the defense is what makes this team tick, we have 5 NHL centers currently on the roster with at least 2 more knocking on the door looking to get in. I'm a Bergeron fan boy, think it would be heresy to have any outcome other then him playing out his career in Boston. That leaves Krejci, Soderberg, Kelly, and Campbell. A significant salary would still need to go with both Soderberg or Campbell to make the cap work and you'd get next to nothing in return anyway. Even if you assume Kelly is gone (I really doubt he will be gone) you're still left with the question of what to do with Spooner. With Kelly on the roster you need to move centers to get the most out of your roster imo.

Kaoz*

I can't be the only one who snickered at this. Jarome Iginla is a man of his word*.

*As long as his word doesn't interfere with what he considers to be a better chance to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia