What the Bruins are doing/What you'd like to see this off-season 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Honestly, I draft Ekblad at #1.

Makes too much sense with Chara approaching the end, with this team and coach, and with the kids obvious skill. We have enough offensive prospects, like 18 NHL ready centers or some ridiculous number, and don't seem to fair too well when drafting forwards in the 1 to 10 slots for whatever reason anyway.

This system is geared around defense and offense is generated from the backend. The more skilled a blue line they have the better off they'll be imo. Dougie, Morrow, Ekblad, sounds like a pretty skilled blueline for the future and would allow the Bruins to keep Chara, Boychuk, Seids and Hamilton together for the present. It's also easier to get top 6 fill-ins in the offseason and at the deadline then it is to pick up top pairing dmen.

Now, all that said, not sure how realistic it is for Florida to deal away the pick without getting another high 1st in return. They're bleeding money though and need to become competitive now, talk of relocating etc etc... What better way to do that then make a deal for an established player or two on the best team in the East? Maybe even take it a step further and send Krejci and something else their way for that 1st overall and a kid like Howden or some such nonsense (add whoever you fancy). I've always liked Kulikov's game and he's pretty much been on the outs down there for a season or two now.

Krejci aside, dealing a center seems the most logical move to make right now. We're thin on the wing (when are we not), the defense is what makes this team tick, we have 5 NHL centers currently on the roster with at least 2 more knocking on the door looking to get in. I'm a Bergeron fan boy, think it would be heresy to have any outcome other then him playing out his career in Boston. That leaves Krejci, Soderberg, Kelly, and Campbell. A significant salary would still need to go with both Soderberg or Campbell to make the cap work and you'd get next to nothing in return anyway. Even if you assume Kelly is gone (I really doubt he will be gone) you're still left with the question of what to do with Spooner. With Kelly on the roster you need to move centers to get the most out of your roster imo.

I get where you're coming from. But I think it leaves the team too gutted on the forward side (2/3 of our top line from a year ago gone) to feel too confident about the team for next season. And while your offer may be better for the future, I'm not sure we can ignore the present in return.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
For the last time

Bruins can NOT buy out Chris Kelly.

It's not that they don't want to, they CAN'T.

Now if he's somehow medically cleared by Monday, it's a different story.

I wouldn't make plans on it happening, but who knows?

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
I don't think it's a blessing in disguise. I think it's an inevitability brought on by the basket overflowing with eggs in 2013-14.

patty... I noticed you wanting to keep Boychuk and Iginla re-signed. Kelly gone. Do you think that $7M is enough to get Krug, Iginla, Smith plus another two under contract? Because I don't think it comes anywhere close.

Trade Eriksson if you have to, he was barely on this team anyways. This team will struggle without Iginla on it and no replacement.

I'd also look at getting rid of Campbell/McQuaid. Those roles are easily filled at less money.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
If they really think Iginla is going to go, I'd try to re-sign Krug and Smith really soon.

If we wait too long, we could either lose one of them for a 2nd round pick or end up with an insanely ****** contract to keep them. Thank God Hamilton isn't an RFA this year. We'd match anything, but we're in a bad enough situation.

Kaoz*

I get where you're coming from. But I think it leaves the team too gutted on the forward side (2/3 of our top line from a year ago gone) to feel too confident about the team for next season. And while your offer may be better for the future, I'm not sure we can ignore the present in return.

Ah yes, but a year ago we didn't have Soderberg proving himself a capable top 6 center or Ryan Spooner putting up a PPG in the AHL. In my scenario we also bring back Iginla on a bonus laden contract once again so the change isn't too drastic, one guy in the top 6 replaced.

As for the future of the forward ranks, they've done all this without a significant forward prospect. They don't have a single forward they've drafted in the first round in the top 9 (Caron doesn't count) and the last two guys they did were traded because they didn't mesh with the Bruins style/attitude.

We already have the next lunch pail gang in Providence, or can sign them easily enough in the offseason. Finding the next 60 point center isn't much of a concern imo, and who knows, you might be pleasantly surprised at what Bergeron can do in that role, his numbers are already eerily similar to Krejci's offensively. Elite D... why fight it, that's what this team thrives off of.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Ok so IF Iginla walks, & IF Kelly gets traded, & IF McQuaid gets moved, is Chia under the cap?

If so, Chiarelli has 2 holes to fill, 3rd line wingers to play with Söderberg. The problem is his top prospects are both centers. If I'm Chia I'm looking to deal Spooner or Koko for an equivalent winger. Which NHL team is looking for a young top-6 potential center & has wing prospects with top-6 potential to trade? (Anaheim?)

Lucic Krejci Ericksson
Marchand Bergeron Smith
(Fraser) Söderberg (Smith-Pelly)
Paille Koko Caron

I don't know much about Anaheims wing prospects but I continue to read they're stacked with them.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
If they really think Iginla is going to go, I'd try to re-sign Krug and Smith really soon.

If we wait too long, we could either lose one of them for a 2nd round pick or end up with an insanely ****** contract to keep them. Thank God Hamilton isn't an RFA this year. We'd match anything, but we're in a bad enough situation.

This was one of the first things that came to mind when I saw Iginla was looking elsewhere. It seems as if he is the clear #1 choice with no solid back up plan in free agency. They should focus on what they have and lock them up before there is any chance things could get ugly. Then head back to free agency and try to fill in the holes. After saying that, I really hope there is some way Chia can make it work with Iginla

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
This was one of the first things that came to mind when I saw Iginla was looking elsewhere. It seems as if he is the clear #1 choice with no solid back up plan in free agency. They should focus on what they have and lock them up before there is any chance things could get ugly. Then head back to free agency and try to fill in the holes. After saying that, I really hope there is some way Chia can make it work with Iginla

Both Chiarelli and Iginla were pretty vocal about wanting him to come back.
We are so limited with what we can offer with our cap situation. Iggy is at a point in his career where he's likely looking for some security.
If something could have been worked out I'm sure it would have by now. If he's looking for a better deal in free agency he'll have no trouble finding it.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Bruins can NOT buy out Chris Kelly.

It's not that they don't want to, they CAN'T.

Now if he's somehow medically cleared by Monday, it's a different story.

I wouldn't make plans on it happening, but who knows?

they could bury his contract in Providence, could they not? Not saying they should, just asking if that's an option.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
They won't if Chiarelli trades for Evander Kane. Of course, no trade for a quality player or decent signing will happen as long as Chris Kelly is on this team.

and what are they going to trade for Evander Kane? It would likely be a lateral move at best. If you trade say...Marchand for Kane then you still haven't replaced Iginla.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
they could bury his contract in Providence, could they not? Not saying they should, just asking if that's an option.

Only $900k or so (min salary + $375k) of the cap hit would be negated by sending him to the A. So it does save some, but not all.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
You have, but you'd need to replace Marchand's diving and stupid penalties... or not.

and his penalty killing, and defensive play, and cycle game, etc. i'm still not convinced that Kane is actually an upgrade over Marchand at all. bottom line is that if we can't afford Iginla then we won't be able to afford Kane unless we move big money back the other way, but then at that point we've created one hole to fill another and there probably isn't a net gain.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

I'm pretty certain that will be the first order of business.

Revisionhky22

Apr 16, 2013
Ok, so let's just take a look at the possible worst-case scenerio. Let's assume Iginla is gone, Caron and Bartowski are still here, they can't find a taker for Kelly, no UFAs are brought in, no trades are made. I'll give Smith and Krug both 2-year deals at 3.0 AAV, Bartowski the same 2-year deal given to Miller at 0.8 AAV. Fraser, Florek and Caron sign one year one-way deals at their qualifying offer. Presenting your 2014-15 Boston Bruins:

Lucic - 6.0 Krejci - 5.25 Eriksson - 4.25
Marchand - 4.25 Bergeron - 6.5 Smith (3.0)
Kelly - 3.0 Soderberg - 1.008333 Fraser 0.687500
Paille - 1.3 Campbell - 1.6 Caron - 0.704
Florek - 0.66

Chara - 6.916667 Hamilton - 0.894167
Seidenberg - 4.0 Boychuk - 3.366667
Krug - 3.0 McQuaid - 1.566667
Bartowski - 0.8 Miller - 0.8

Rask 7.0
Svedberg - 0.6

Total - 67.404001
Plus Overage 4.75
Grand Total - 72.154001

So even if Chia does nothing but the above, and the cap is at the high end 71 million, he can't even pay this roster, which is still a playoff team but a step back from the past 4 seasons for sure. Cap jail is an understatement. Yeah he can not carry 23 players, and sure you can sub in a different prospect like Spooner/Knight/Khoklachev over Fraser/Caron/Florek but it doesn't really make much difference cap-wise. Either way someone from Marchand/Eriksson/Kelly/Campbell/Paille/Boychuk/McQuaid is going. Just as well assume Iginla is gone.

I don't see Krug and Smith getting 3m, prob. 2.5-2.75m, then one of Bart/McQuaid will not be back. That alone gets you 1.5-2.5 in savings to get under. Then when the seasons starts you put Savard on LTIR and you have 4mil more in space. However, I think your right there will be a move prob based around Bart/McQuaid, Kelly, Erickson, Campbell (give spooner that spot for some nhl action in case we lose Sodeberg next year), or maybe Boychuk although I hope not. I think if we are going to have a chance to win we need krejci, Bergeron, Lucic upfront, Rask in net, and a D of Chara,Boychuk, Hamilton, Seidenberg. THose 8 stay healthy going into the playoffs and you have as good a chance as anyone with whatever solid players you put around them, additional superstars not needed. We have all seen guys like marchand, now smith, soderberg, etc emerge to help the team be good enough. We are still the favorite in the East even without Iggy. I actually prefer no iggy so we aren't in this situation next year.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I don't see Krug and Smith getting 3m, prob. 2.5-2.75m, then one of Bart/McQuaid will not be back. That alone gets you 1.5-2.5 in savings to get under. Then when the seasons starts you put Savard on LTIR and you have 4mil more in space. However, I think your right there will be a move prob based around Bart/McQuaid, Kelly, Erickson, Campbell (give spooner that spot for some nhl action in case we lose Sodeberg next year), or maybe Boychuk although I hope not. I think if we are going to have a chance to win we need krejci, Bergeron, Lucic upfront, Rask in net, and a D of Chara,Boychuk, Hamilton, Seidenberg. THose 8 stay healthy going into the playoffs and you have as good a chance as anyone with whatever solid players you put around them, additional superstars not needed. We have all seen guys like marchand, now smith, soderberg, etc emerge to help the team be good enough. We are still the favorite in the East even without Iggy. I actually prefer no iggy so we aren't in this situation next year.

I accounted for Savard on LTIR, so there's no extra 4 million to be subtracted from the above total.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins are going to be looking at about $8 M on Krejci next summer. Teams better start drafting great if your best players like Kane and Toews are going to take 25% of your cap. Yikes

Ruzicka38

Oh man
Jan 19, 2006
Hopedale
This whole off-season feels like the Chris Bourque year. We know there are holes, but our "capologist" blew it again. Now we have to watch multiple subpar Providence filler attempt to play over their heads. Eriksson may be able to fill the first line hole, but who plays with Yeti? Fraser does not impress me and Florek is more of a 4th liner. Can someone talk me out of the pit of despair? Miracle Max?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Habs drop Vanek, add Iginla

Bruins drop Iginla, add healthy Chris Kelly

Seems fair

Bruins with Kelly 60-19-2 (81 games/122 points)
Bruins without Kelly 22-15-7 (44 games/51 points)

Kelly plays the Bruins win, not lost on Chiarelli

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Bruins with Kelly 60-19-2 (81 games/122 points)
Bruins without Kelly 22-15-7 (44 games/51 points)

Kelly plays the Bruins win, not lost on Chiarelli

I'm of the opinion that Julien has a Kelly clone on his 4th line (Paille). Bump Paille to 3LW. I can't imagine it'd be difficult to find a 4LW (Providence?). Paille brings more speed than Kelly also. Kelly's faceoff % was less than 50% last season. His +/- was ranked super low on the team. These are all categories where Kelly is supposed to excel, where he used to excel. He's faded. Söderberg took his spot. Paille has been great with added icetime when skating on the 3rd line.

I just don't see the benefit of keeping Kelly at that cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad