What Stupid Or Unreasonable Thing Do You Want To See In Hockey/NHL?

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
At the end of every season, before the Entry Draft, an active player draft occurs. Every single player becomes available for a complete gerrymandering of talent league wide.

The Cup championship team gets first pick, and then the rest of the draft occurs in order of the lowest to highest per the team standings that year.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I want a regular season game to 50 mins 5on5, 5 mins 4on4, 5mins 3on3.

I want playoff hockey overtime to start at 4on4 for 10. 3on3 for 10, then a 5 player shootout. Minor penalties in OT would be 1 min.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
I want a regular season game to 50 mins 5on5, 5 mins 4on4, 5mins 3on3.

I want playoff hockey overtime to start at 4on4 for 10. 3on3 for 10, then a 5 player shootout. Minor penalties in OT would be 1 min.

That playoff OT system of yours should be used in the regular games. 5 minutes of OT is to short. At least run 10 minutes of 3 on 3 when it's overtime.

With a shoot-out, give the losing team 0 points. Make it better to gamble and fail in the OT than to "play safe" in the OT, gamble on SO, and then fail in the shootout.:laugh:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Exotic dancers performing on the ice between periods. Would that be an unreasonable request?
Our old building had a strip club across the street. The Oilers also sucked a lot, so I'm thinking some people probably took advantage of this convenient location of a gentleman's club.

TheBigSmoke

Aug 8, 2016
Bring some roller derby to the NHL. New tactics like walls to block players and whipping players past your opponents. We also seriously need better nicknames to go with this - JT "Skinny Minnie" Miller anyone?

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
An actual home ice advantage. Teams can change the dimensions of their rink once a year prior to the start of preseason, adding or subtracting 15 ft to the length and/or width of the rink.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
An inordinate amount of camera time given to ice girls. Basically, just show the replays of your players while they're getting hit hard when they're down by 4 goals, and the girls the rest of the time. I'd just change the channel otherwise. Maybe that's not stupid or unrealistic at all. lol

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
-More animosity
-Homer announcers heard throughout the arena. Just to see players reaction.

Oh and buck a beer. That is all

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
For every and all generic answers a player gives during intermission interviews, the offending players team, loses a player for 2 minutes per infraction, and there is no minimum player rule, meaning they can have as few as no men on the ice for 2 minutes.

Shootouts done in the dark, with night vision googles between the goalie and shooter, first one to get them gains the advantage of knowing where the puck is.

If you lose in the shootout, you lose 1 pt, because getting pts for losing is stupid.

Every 10th game, the whole game is played with 5 pucks and everyone on the ice for the full 60 minutes. The clock never stops, no offsides, no faceoffs, if goal is scored or puck goes out of play, it gets thrown in the air as high as the ref can throw it.

Every player on the team, has to play at least one game in net, and the goalie has to play the full 60 minutes, using his goalie stick and playing in full Garth Snow gear.

Any CLEAN HIT that results in a melee/altercation to defend the teammate that got hit, costs that team a goal which is awarded to the clean hitter.

Yorkshire Leaf

Nov 13, 2014
The City of York
During a shootout the goalie can opt to swap his stick for bolas so he can bring the skater down as he comes in to take his shot.

In return the skater’s team can station two players on the blue line with paintball guns to pepper the goalie.

Austrian Devil

Here we go again
Mar 11, 2008
Graz, Austria
I think they should place an open broadcast mic on both benches during the game. That would add color to the games. Nothing like a little reality TV. Leave the refs mics on too.

Edit: forgot about the penalty boxes. That should be real interesting.

Wouldn't fly in your PC culture. Google the video for "Oliver Setzinger penalty box Denmark"

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
-More animosity
-Homer announcers heard throughout the arena. Just to see players reaction.

Oh and buck a beer. That is all

We have this with our ECHL affiliate on Fridays.

You have to spend your Friday evening in Wheeling, but nonetheless it's available. ;)

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Delete shot blocking, I want everything to get to the goalie pls. :)

Is there truly any bigger buzzkill than: "AND HERE COMES X FLYING INTO THE ZONE - TAKES THE SNAP SHOT - which is ... deflected into the netting ... -commercial break-"

Reactions: bigtim1988

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
Two teams teaming up to win champsionships/tank for top picks and swap roles every 5-10 years, lopsided trades galore, 2 cap spaces, and then 3 teams get together to beat the two teams and it keeps compounding until its basically just the all stars of the west vs east and then teams start sabotaging and hiring spies and infilitrate other teams plans until Canada finally builds a wall and makes their own mega team and that's how world war 3 started everybody.
Have you checked out the NBA? I think you might dig it.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
An actual home ice advantage. Teams can change the dimensions of their rink once a year prior to the start of preseason, adding or subtracting 15 ft to the length and/or width of the rink.
I would not be opposed to this at all. The league could put restrictions on how much variation teams could have in the dimensions of their rink and zones but it would be interesting to see different sized ice surfaces. I know growing up playing on different sized rinks would always be a slight advantage for the home team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad