OT: What show should I watch next?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Made my way through the first season of Project Blue Book. Good show. Has that X files feeling. Going to tackle season 2

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I thought Ozark Season 3 was really good and the ending set things up pretty well for season 4. The show is progressing pretty well.

What I didn't like in season 3, is the brother, ugh what annoying shitbag. I thought the season would have been much better without him and his shenanigans.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Finished season 3 of the Wire last night. Shit was lit.

Ya see...I wouldn't steer you wrong. Keep going and now that you've been introduced to Wire characters like Avon Barksdale, Omar Little, Stringer Bell, Marlo Stanfield just to name a few, you'll never forget them.

Simply a phenomenal show. Showrunner David Simon is a friggen genius.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Just finished season 3 of Ozark...quite the ending I must say and wasn't quite expecting that!!

I enjoyed it and was entertained tho I have to admit, Marty Byrde is annoying me more and more each season. His BS cool is simply not believable. That said, Lauren Linney should win an Emmy for her performance...my lord it was tremendous

That said, things set up for a very intriguing Season 4 and I for one will be along for the ride.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Ya see...I wouldn't steer you wrong. Keep going and now that you've been introduced to Wire characters like Avon Barksdale, Omar Little, Stringer Bell, Marlo Stanfield just to name a few, you'll never forget them.

Quoted for truth.

I am a former B-More city police office (medically retired) and I worked the Western for four years. Anyone who doesn't think The Wire is real, I'm hear to tell you they got stuff exactly correct.

I just re-watched and finished season five today. :(

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Well I had already watched the first 2 seasons about a year ago, I just took a hiatus lol. But thanks for giving me the kick in the ass i needed to get back to it

Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
After Ozark as I said I would do, I decided to see what the hype was all about with "Tiger King" and got thru 3 episodes last night.

Not too shabby and I'll definitely finish it but unless things go completely off the rails in the coming episodes, I'm not exactly floored like my daughter and some others have said.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Well I had already watched the first 2 seasons about a year ago, I just took a hiatus lol. But thanks for giving me the kick in the ass i needed to get back to it

All good my friend and glad I could be of service.

When it comes to the Wire I am very passionate about it seeing besides it just being a phenomenal and entertaining show, it also has a message that resonates thru every single aspect of our lives and that is very rare.

And it also serves as a “wake the F up” message to those of us who were not brought up in the inner city whether it be Baltimore or anywhere else in our country.

Last edited:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Quoted for truth.

I am a former B-More city police office (medically retired) and I worked the Western for four years. Anyone who doesn't think The Wire is real, I'm hear to tell you they got stuff exactly correct.

I just re-watched and finished season five today. :(

Well thx for your commentary and your service. For you to have worked West Baltimore and actually experienced what the characters on the Wire have actually gone thru, has to give you a special perspective that none of us including me obviously will ever have.

I believe I read the character “Snoop” who obviously was one of Marlo Stanfields enforcers was a previous member of one of those drug gangs.

The realism in the Wire is something I’ve never seen before and likely never will again which is what really makes it, and there will be arguments as it’s purely subjective, but in my book...the greatest TV series ever created.

And yes that includes Breaking Bad, the Sopranos, Game of Thrones, all shows I loved but can’t hold up like the Wire does.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Well thx for your commentary and your service. For you to have worked West Baltimore and actually experienced what the characters on the Wire have actually gone thru, has to give you a special perspective that none of us including me obviously will ever have.

I believe I read the character “Snoop” who obviously was one of Marlo Stanfields enforcers was a previous member of one of those drug gangs.

The realism in the Wire is something I’ve never seen before and likely will which is what really makes it, and there will be arguments as it’s purely subjective, but in my book...the greatest TV series ever created.

And yes that includes Breaking Bad, the Sopranos, Game of Thrones, all shows I loved but can’t hold up like the Wire does.

Met a lot of the people in the show personally, I was BPD from 1994 to 1998. Ed Norris was a real cop, Jay Landsman and a few others, a ton of the guys from the show were real police when I was there. Felicia "Snoop" "Pearson is a Baltimore drug life legend.

I also threw many a beer can up on that roof in the Western. :laugh:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Met a lot of the people in the show personally, I was BPD from 1994 to 1998. Ed Norris was a real cop, Jay Landsman and a few others, a ton of the guys from the show were real police when I was there. Felicia "Snoop" "Pearson is a Baltimore drug life legend.

I also threw many a beer can up on that roof in the Western. :laugh:

That’s some pretty awesome shit. Was the Jimmy McNulty character based on anyone you knew or was that a fictional character created by Simon?

Speaking of McNulty, I did not know until after I had binged the series initially, that the actor who portrayed him Dominic West was British. His accent was so convincing, I hadn’t a clue...lol

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
That’s some pretty awesome shit. Was the Jimmy McNulty character based on anyone you knew or was that a fictional character created by Simon?

Speaking of McNulty, I did not know until after I had binged the series initially, that the actor who portrayed him Dominic West was British. His accent was so convincing, I hadn’t a clue...lol

I read once he was a combo of a few guys Simon rode along with but no one I knew.

As to Dominic West being British, it blew my mind when I found out, Stringer Bell himself, Idris Elba was British as well. :amazed:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

His accent was shaky in season one but he got a lot better. Actually they used a lot of non American actors, Idris Elba and Aidan Gillian (Carcetti). The latter especially really did not sound natural (he's Irish), sounded like he was really straining to cover up that brogue. Idris Elba did a pretty good job but he also sounded a bit "off" when you compared the way he talked to someone like Avon, when they were supposed to have grown up together in Baltimore.

But overall they did a pretty good job, it can't be easy to have that many lines and trying to do flat American accent.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Unorthodox on Netflix is pretty good. Just four episodes but quite good.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
His accent was shaky in season one but he got a lot better. Actually they used a lot of non American actors, Idris Elba and Aidan Gillian (Carcetti). The latter especially really did not sound natural (he's Irish), sounded like he was really straining to cover up that brogue. Idris Elba did a pretty good job but he also sounded a bit "off" when you compared the way he talked to someone like Avon, when they were supposed to have grown up together in Baltimore.

But overall they did a pretty good job, it can't be easy to have that many lines and trying to do flat American accent.

I'm noticing more and more British actors these days taking on American roles. That guy from Homeland and Billions Damian Lewis is another Brit who I had no idea about until I started doing some research as his American accent was perfecto.

Another guy that I didn't know what British was Christian Bale. I had seen him in American Pyscho for first time and just assumed he was American. Saw a few other films of his and it never dawned on me. It wasn't until he did Batman Begins 5 years later that I finally realized Bale was British. That's the sign of a good actor tho when you can't tell what nationality they are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad