What should the name be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Not sure honestly, I haven't seen any big local media run with it yet. You would think it would be something mentioned. I don't think it's the type of thing you find unless you're specifically looking for it.

I don't think it would be a minor league team name but again, I feel you're right that Foley would own the domain name. Possibly could be that MGM will pay and host the domain as part of the deal of the team being a tenant, not sure.

Foley's got dough, if he wanted the domain I think he'd get it. There's no real need to give up control of your domain and involve that kind of stuff. Imagine if there's an issue and they've got to go to court over the domain.

I don't see it, this is MGM acting alone. They could be doing a service and acting as an intermediary while the selection is going on, but team ownership's got to own the domain if that's the team name.

Jun 6, 2016
MGM doing the work while Foley puts together a staff and etc only to transfer it over when official?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Ah, does everyone know about it already?

Hope it's not NBA, we don't need them here for at least a decade after the hockey team hits the ice. They've got a few cities that have got to be higher on their list than Vegas. Silver just said they were satisfied with their current presence in Las Vegas a few weeks ago.

Got to think Seattle for sure and perhaps Vancouver, somewhere in Virginia, and somewhere in Kentucky are higher or tied with Vegas for priority with the NBA.

Agreed. It would be nice to see Vegas become a "hockey town" and hockey be your guys' thing.

Vegas is a unique place, having a winter sport typically played in northern climates/cultures as your "team" and thing would suit Vegas well I think. If it ends up NHL, NBA, and NFL in Vegas I think hockey will lose out on a potentially special market and model southern franchise.

Keep the NBA out of Vegas :yo:.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
MGM doing the work while Foley puts together a staff and etc only to transfer it over when official?

I really don't know. Like I said, the fact that they picked it up a week prior to the announcement makes me think it's important. They could have waited and gotten it cheap a few months later if that's not the team name.

I just think that if it was for sale and it was the team name that Foley would own it. Then again, it was prior to the announcement when the muzzle was on, so who knows?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
This NBA All Star Game thing might be a good chance to see if MGM is interested in the NBA. If they make a move to host again it might show their intentions.

Jun 6, 2016
This NBA All Star Game thing might be a good chance to see if MGM is interested in the NBA. If they make a move to host again it might show their intentions.

It's a rough decision, it would definitely be turning their back on the local workers IMO.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
From some of the previous discussion, I agree with using a 2 word team name rather than a 3 or 4 word name. Go by "Vegas ______" rather than "Las Vegas _______/_______ _______".

Vegas Knights (could create fun word play) or Vegas Aces flow well. I remember in the BoH forum, a poster made some Vegas Aces logos on an old fashioned glass. It looked awesome and I could see myself sipping a dram or two from that glass when I make the trip to visit when the McDavid circus comes to town.

Again. Vegas is no more the name of our city than it is Jose (San Jose) Diego (San Diego) Frisco (San Francisco) Jersey (New Jersey...yes I know it's not a city) etc. New Jersey is known as the Jersey Devils, New York isn't known officially as the NY Islanders or Rangers, the Kings aren't officially registered as the LA Kings. Tampa Bay isn't the Tampa Lightning.

Vegas is a shortened nickname. When people say it people know what city they're talking about but that's not the point. This city's official name is not Vegas. Calling it the Vegas _______ is a disservice to the city and it won't happen.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I'm not crazy about Silver Knights. I like it as a better nod to Nevada than Black Knights but it just sounds lame. I actually prefer Black Knights to Silver Knights.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Again. Vegas is no more the name of our city than it is Jose (San Jose) Diego (San Diego) Frisco (San Francisco) Jersey (New Jersey...yes I know it's not a city) etc. New Jersey is known as the Jersey Devils, New York isn't known officially as the NY Islanders or Rangers, the Kings aren't officially registered as the LA Kings. Tampa Bay isn't the Tampa Lightning.

Vegas is a shortened nickname. When people say it people know what city they're talking about but that's not the point. This city's official name is not Vegas. Calling it the Vegas _______ is a disservice to the city and it won't happen.

Tampa is kind of the odd one out in that example, hopefully the point gets across though.

We are not Vegas!
I'm not crazy about Silver Knights. I like it as a better nod to Nevada than Black Knights but it just sounds lame. I actually prefer Black Knights to Silver Knights.
I'm to the point where I don't care much anymore, just make it happen.

Nothing western themed and I'm happy. I just want a jersey now.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Tampa is kind of the odd one out in that example, hopefully the point gets across though.

We are not Vegas!

I'm to the point where I don't care much anymore, just make it happen.

Nothing western themed and I'm happy. I just want a jersey now.

Lots of people refer to Tampa Bay as Tampa.

And I suppose I agree. The team could be called the Las Vegas Foleys and I'd still be hyped (though very annoyed). On the other hand the first name has to be solid lest they change after 8-10 years.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Lots of people refer to Tampa Bay as Tampa.

And I suppose I agree. The team could be called the Las Vegas Foleys and I'd still be hyped (though very annoyed). On the other hand the first nake has to be solid lest they change after 8-10 years.

Tampa is the city, Tampa Bay is the region. Tampa's the weird one because they're named after the region, not the city. It would be like a team named the San Francisco Bay 49ers.

In the Las Vegas/Vegas example, Tampa would be the Las Vegas and Tampa Bay would be the "Vegas."

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Tampa is the city, Tampa Bay is the region. Tampa's the weird one because they're named after the region, not the city. It would be like a team named the San Francisco Bay 49ers.

In the Las Vegas/Vegas example, Tampa would be the Las Vegas and Tampa Bay would be the "Vegas."

I think I knew that once.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
I'd think you wouldn't want the NFL to come into your city - and if you want to know why, just look at what happened with the Titans in Nashville. It's taken forever for the Preds to get out from under the shadow of the Music City Miracle.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'd think you wouldn't want the NFL to come into your city - and if you want to know why, just look at what happened with the Titans in Nashville. It's taken forever for the Preds to get out from under the shadow of the Music City Miracle.

If we're getting a team from another pro sports league, I'd prefer the NFL. They're already huge, they've already got the interest of most of the people interested in sports, and they're only here 8-10 games/year.

Optimal situation is hockey only, second best is NHL/NFL.

Sure, the Vegas pride people might wear Raiders stuff over hockey stuff, but it's not like the arrival of the Raiders would awaken some sleeping giant of Vegas fandom that would cause everyone to ignore hockey. People already like/love football here, I've got to think having a team won't bring too many more people into the fold.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If we're getting a team from another pro sports league, I'd prefer the NFL. They're already huge, they've already got the interest of most of the people interested in sports, and they're only here 8-10 games/year.

Optimal situation is hockey only, second best is NHL/NFL.

Sure, the Vegas pride people might wear Raiders stuff over hockey stuff, but it's not like the arrival of the Raiders would awaken some sleeping giant of Vegas fandom that would cause everyone to ignore hockey. People already like/love football here, I've got to think having a team won't bring too many more people into the fold.

Exactly.

My preference is if the NFL DOES come to Vegas it should be after 5 or so years from Vegas _______'s first season. That way we can establish a love for this team before the NFL team steals its thunder.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Fair enough. You know your city much better than me, I just thought it flowed well. Vegas (K)nights has some nice word play, maybe better as a nickname :).

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Fair enough. You know your city much better than me, I just thought it flowed well. Vegas (K)nights has some nice word play, maybe better as a nickname :).

People will nickname us the Vegas ______ plenty. We can leave it at that for the informal referencing. Even NHL power rankings will list the Kings as the LA Kings rather than write out its official name. But for the official name the name of the city should be in full. Not shortened to its nickname.

Please don't.

I'm 99.9% sure we won't. If Los Angeles hasn't, we're not going to either. (not a racist comment just saying, a city like LA would be more likely to try to appease a latino population than Las Vegas)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
People will nickname us the Vegas ______ plenty. We can leave it at that for the informal referencing. Even NHL power rankings will list the Kings as the LA Kings rather than write out its official name. But for the official name the name of the city should be in full. Not shortened to its nickname.

I'm 99.9% sure we won't. If Los Angeles hasn't, we're not going to either. (not a racist comment just saying, a city like LA would be more likely to try to appease a latino population than Las Vegas)

Exactly.

I'm sure it will be shortened to Vegas informally. I didn't mean to come across telling you how to name your team by changing the official name of your city, my apologies. I re-read my post and I can see how it came across that way. It was more meant as an observation that Vegas Knights/Aces/Crusaders flows off the tongue nicely. My bad for not articulating myself better.

Not racist at all, don't overthink it :). I actually like the idea of Crusaders as the name. With the Knight logo circulating, Crusaders as the team name fits the logo nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad