What should the name be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 6, 2016
Foley said Nights or a Bird is likely...

BRING ON THE PEREGRINES!!!!

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I'm back in the camp that I hope I haven't even seen the name yet.

Knights (and associated names) seems forced and a bit silly, and the conflict with the Knights team may eliminate the name anyway... - and the name isn't good enough to try to buy from London.

Naming a team isn't easy.

sparkychewbarky

Jan 27, 2012
I'm not buying the perceived London Knights "roadblock".
I find it strange that an entity could take ownership of such a generic name, especially when the other team is from a different country, city, league with different logos, colours and uniforms.
Hell, we had 2 CFL teams up here with the same names...

And did he say that "Aces' was NOT in the final 4?...Is there still hope??!!:laugh:

eta08.jpg

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Knights (and associated names) seems forced...
IN terms of hockey history...

Black Hawks was forced.
Bruins was forced.

There's nothing wrong with an owner dictating a favorite choice on his own franchise. In fact, it's better than some focus group marketing research firm deciding the matter based on opinions of a targeted random group.

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
There's nothing wrong with an owner dictating a favorite choice on his own franchise. In fact, it's better than some focus group marketing research firm deciding the matter based on opinions of a targeted random group.

Look how it could have turned out for the San Jose Sharks:

Sharks was chosen from 2300 entries in San Jose's name-the-team contest. The other finalists included Rubber Puckies, Screaming Squids, Salty Dogs, and Blades. Blades was the most popular entry, but ultimately rejected because of its gang implications. When the nickname was chosen, seven shark species made their home in a stretch of the Pacific Ocean off the California coast called The Red Triangle.

Link

In a random sweepstakes drawing, San Jose attorney Allen Speare was selected as the grand prize winner. Other entries were submitted from participants representing California and nearly every other state and Canadian province. The top-15 names submitted, in alphabetical order, were: Blades, Breakers, Breeze, Condors, Fog, Gold, Golden Gaters, Golden Skaters, Grizzlies, Icebreakers, Knights, Redwoods, Sea Lions, Sharks and Waves.

Link

And sometimes if you leave it *totally* up to the fans you end up with suggestions like a 300 million dollar British vessel being named the RRS Boaty McBoatface as an example.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Sharks was chosen from 2300 entries in San Jose's name-the-team contest. The other finalists included Rubber Puckies, Screaming Squids, Salty Dogs, and Blades.
Rubber Puckies was a finalist?! :laugh: Screaming Squids, too? :laugh: Even Salty Dogs is a joke. I guess people vote for funny names.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Rubber Puckies was a finalist?! :laugh: Screaming Squids, too? :laugh: Even Salty Dogs is a joke. I guess people vote for funny names.

If you dive back into history and look at the names that came out of contests it's the greatest argument against a contest. I think the Coyotes were almost the Phoenix Phreeze. The Nashville Ice Tigers? Columbus Justice? St. Louis Appolo?

Whoo, man.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
If you dive back into history and look at the names that came out of contests it's the greatest argument against a contest. I think the Coyotes were almost the Phoenix Phreeze. The Nashville Ice Tigers? Columbus Justice? St. Louis Appolo?

Whoo, man.

New Jersey Meadowlarks.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC
From an outside fan's perspective, I really like the black knight branding and think they should pick a name like rogues or renegades that would go along with it.
Couple other names I like are condors and wanderers.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Blackbirds - in reference to the plane. Foley gets his 'black' there plus a military reference.

I actually like the sound of that but Blackhawks and Blackbirds? We just sound like a knock off clone of Chicago's team with that kind of name.

Somebody said what I was saying

So edit

Las Vegas Buffets

Why? Why do people keep saying this? Why would they want the team to represent the place where people stuff their faces with as much food as they can for not that much money? Why?

It's Friday night and we've got a fierce match up between the Kings and the uhhh...Buffets...hopefully the Kings don't uhhhh...uhhh get too stuffed?

I wouldn't want to be on a beer league team named the Buffets

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I've decided that every name sucks when you don't already have a name.

If there were no Red Wings and Detroit got an expansion people would think Red Wings is the stupidest name ever.
Maple Leafs? That's stupid.
What the hell is a Sabre? We're naming the team after a sword?
Rangers? Where's the range?
Our city didn't burn down, why are we keeping Atlanta's name?

Just relax and know the name will likely sound stupid for the first few years, after there's some history and a little groove is worked into your brain that it's a normal name you'll wind up loving it.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas

If there were no Red Wings and Detroit got an expansion people would think Red Wings is the stupidest name ever.
Maple Leafs? That's stupid.
What the hell is a Sabre? We're naming the team after a sword?
Rangers? Where's the range?
Our city didn't burn down, why are we keeping Atlanta's name?

Just relax and know the name will likely sound stupid for the first few years, after there's some history and a little groove is worked into your brain that it's a normal name you'll wind up loving it.

This would be true for most names I've seen in this thread but I would never warm up to Buffets

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
This would be true for most names I've seen in this thread but I would never warm up to Buffets

For sure, that's one of those ones people think is funny...but isn't.

We've had a lot of that kind of stuff in this thread, if 1% of them were serious I'd be surprised.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona

Good point. Stay calm and trust Foley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad