What should the name be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ICantDriveLV

Jun 22, 2016
Sin City, NV
I agree with some of the sentiment here. To ignore what gambling means to the city's history is to ignore the core of what the city is. It would be like DC ignoring the fact that they are the nations capitol or NYC ignoring that they have buildings.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I agree with some of the sentiment here. To ignore what gambling means to the city's history is to ignore the core of what the city is. It would be like DC ignoring the fact that they are the nations capitol or NYC ignoring that they have buildings.

I just disagree with that idea that a team name has to be a reference to the city itself. If anything, the "it's related to the city" thing creates cruddier names than just normal team names. Pelicans? Thrashers? Bleh.

Having the team name directly related to the city itself just screams minor league to me. Give it enough time and the team name will relate to the city regardless of the reason for the name. Nobody thinks of Salt Lake City as a Jazz hotspot, yet Jazz means Utah. There's a few lakes in LA, but when you hear Lakers you think of Los Angeles. Flames was a reference to the burning of Atlanta, now it means Calgary to anyone that cares. Hornets are pretty much everywhere, yet Charlotte is the hornets even after having a stupid name for a long time.

There are no pirates in Oakland, there aren't any Giants in New York, the Rangers are named after their owner and are a reference to Texas. Yet, every single one of those makes sense today.

Jun 6, 2016
Lakers are what they are because they moved from Minneapolis to LA and kept the name.

Same would be if Raiders moved here, Rams etc etc.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I just disagree with that idea that a team name has to be a reference to the city itself. If anything, the "it's related to the city" thing creates cruddier names than just normal team names. Pelicans? Thrashers? Bleh.

Having the team name directly related to the city itself just screams minor league to me. Give it enough time and the team name will relate to the city regardless of the reason for the name. Nobody thinks of Salt Lake City as a Jazz hotspot, yet Jazz means Utah. There's a few lakes in LA, but when you hear Lakers you think of Los Angeles. Flames was a reference to the burning of Atlanta, now it means Calgary to anyone that cares. Hornets are pretty much everywhere, yet Charlotte is the hornets even after having a stupid name for a long time.

There are no pirates in Oakland, there aren't any Giants in New York, the Rangers are named after their owner and are a reference to Texas. Yet, every single one of those makes sense today.

Las Vegas Ice Caps. Nothing screams Las Vegas less than a giant floating mountain of ice. It's so outré as to be chic. ;)

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Lakers are what they are because they moved from Minneapolis to LA and kept the name.

Same would be if Raiders moved here, Rams etc etc.

I understand. There's also teams that move and change names.

I'm just saying that when you think of the Lakers you don't think of the local relation to Minnesota, you think LA.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If the name does end up being Black Knights, then this guy should be the mascot:

latest

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
Las Vegas Dark Knights. was the name mentioned by the Security Guard at the T- Mobile Arena.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
A lot of people are domain searching to see what domains are being purchased by the team.

My team name suggestion: Purchased. :laugh:

This team name thing is taking on a life of its own. Domain searches, trademark searches, etc. The team name is the subject of choice for almost everyone's team conversation right now.

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
Found this post at sportslogos:

DaRadniz29 Posted Monday at 07:41 AM
I think the Las Vegas Knights and Los Angeles Kings could survive in the same division with similar medieval-era nicknames as long as LV's branding differentiated from LA's. If Foley can't get Black Knights or Knights, maybe Lancers would work.

"Here are your Las Vegas Lancers!"

Maybe the logo could be a mounted knight (with a cowboy hat :)), a shield and lance.
- No Pro team of the big 4 uses Lancers
- Only Six colleges has Lancers has their nickname.
Not sure it would matter, but one USHL team does use Lancers (Omaha).

I know Foley is pretty much set on black, gold and silver but if he is open to color scheme suggestions, I'd like to see maybe a Midnight Blue and Vegas Gold with a silver trim.

I like the name Lancers!

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Las Vegas Fusion. Given the history of nuclear testing in Nevada, you could have an atomic explosion in your logo, have a radioactive symbol on the jersey or something.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
When we make California road trips to three divisional rivals there it could be a Silver Knight vs. Silver Surfer showdown.

latest

Unless, of course, the surfer dude becomes a Silver Knight.:yo:

bigbuffalo313

Apr 28, 2012
New York
Rangers fan coming in peace

If any variation of Knights is out due to London, then I really hope it's the Aces. That's just a cool name in general

Also, any ideas on what the final four are? I know there is some variation of Knights in there, but any ideas on the other three?

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Black Knights works on multiple levels to me

When I was in Vegas I couldn't help but think the place just changes when it's night time or dark, the lights aren't on during the day and it's not the same vibe at all.

I believe the Black Knights being close enough to Vegas Nights just works on a lot of levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad