What should Chevy do at the deadline? V2.0 New and improved! Pls read OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Not so sure the Iginla trade was that dumb (if that is what you're referring too). Iginla is pretty much a loan player. Once the season is up if they don't win the cup he will likely resign back with Calgary for next year as a UFA for more money.

Keep in mind he is still younger than some of the other players up there, he probably has 3-5 more years left before retirement.

While the trade looks really dumb Calgary pretty much got picks and their Captain back to effectively "rent" him. Granted Iginla could say 'screw it' and sign with Pittsburgh again next season as well.

I'm mostly talking about the last 6 seasons of pretending they just needed a couple pieces to go on another cup run. If Iginla signs back in Calgary then the trade is a good deal for them. I'm not so sure he will though.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
I'm mostly talking about the last 6 seasons of pretending they just needed a couple pieces to go on another cup run. If Iginla signs back in Calgary then the trade is a good deal for them. I'm not so sure he will though.
Gotcha, I understand where you're coming from now.

And that's the risk they were willing to take, he may or may resign there, he may not have either way, at least this way it guarantees them something in return.

Same thing for Hainsey, I have a feeling rumors have gotten to him that Chevy won't be making him an offer, he could already be looking for a placement for next season.

Hopefully Chevy manages to get something out of him IE picks or someone like Cammalleri.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Put your hatred down for a second. Look at the whole situation logically. Even recently he talked about Trouba likely to stay in Michigan. A couple days later CHN tweets almost the exact same thing.

He absolutely does have inside information. It's his opinions that are the problem, not the information. That and his marathon questions to the coach in post game interviews.

In fact, personally I think someone within the org uses him to float trial balloons, and that's exactly what is happening here. I also remember something similar at last years deadline. But don't quote me on that, or ask for a source, as I'm still looking for it.

Lawless might be a bit of a buffoon, but he does have some sources and gets his share of things right.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
At the point I just want Chevy to make a trade (it doesn't have to be too big) just so we can discuss something other than the Jets losing.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
At the point I just want Chevy to make a trade (it doesn't have to be too big) just so we can discuss something other than the Jets losing.
Free Press says Chevy is looking for a Centre for Kane....

I wonder if Jagr can play Centre :sarcasm:

Well Cammalleri does, I have a feeling Chevy is in talks with Fester for him....

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Free Press says Chevy is looking for a Centre for Kane....

I wonder if Jagr can play Centre :sarcasm:

Well Cammalleri does, I have a feeling Chevy is in talks with Fester for him....

I touched on last week how I have always really liked Mike Cammalleri. My only worry is you never really know which player you're going to get. There's 50-65 game Cammalleri who'll get you 40-50 points, but there is also 70-80 game Cammalleri who can get you 70-80 points. He's played center this year and taken a solid number of draws, 417 total, and has won 53.2% of them.

Honestly, for what teams are paying for Iginla, Bouwmeester, etc.. I think I would be all for giving up what it would take to bring Mike Cammalleri to Winnipeg. Best case scenario, he could fill the no.2 center slot for us. And even if he doesn't do that, he'd give us a real good winger.

Many teams won't blink an eye to Cammalleri I wouldn't think based on his salary for next season. He's got one year remaining on his current contract with a cap hit of 6 million and actual salary is 7 million. A hefty price tag, and with the cap going down, that will rule out a lot of teams.

Honestly, given what Iginla and Bouwmeester have gone for, I think we could offer Postma + 2nd and maybe have a deal.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
So how much could it cost to potentially get Cammalleri here?!?

Burmi + prospect + 2nd?!?

Or would we likely have to include our 1st? A little hesitant to do that, as that would mean Calgary would have 4 1sts and Columbus would have 3. Draft day would be pretty boring ;D

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Jets looking for a center to play with Kane? Avs may want to move Statsny? Stars may move Roy? Hmmmm.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I would not be opposed to trading Buff. When the guy is on he is incredible. However, he is rarely on these days.

He's 28 years old and hasn't shown the dedication to fitness required to be an elite player. I don't see that changing with Buff.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I think the Jets need to go hard after Drew Stafford and Paul Stastny,players involved could be a combo of Burmi,Jokinen,Postma,Stuart,Kulda,Cormier,Klingberg,Telegin,Redmond,This years 2nd,3rd and next years 1st.A line of Kane,Stastny,Stafford would be awesome then Scheifele could jump to the Top line when he is ready and Little could Drop to the third.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Didn't that little Sabres 'Fire Sale' video basically trash Stafford as an underachiever though? 'Buy one underachiever, get the second one FREEE!'.

Keep in mind we have our own underachievers. Maybe we just need to swap a couple and change their scenery.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I think the Jets need to go hard after Drew Stafford and Paul Stastny,players involved could be a combo of Burmi,Jokinen,Postma,Stuart,Kulda,Cormier,Klingberg,Telegin,Redmond,This years 2nd,3rd and next years 1st.A line of Kane,Stastny,Stafford would be awesome then Scheifele could jump to the Top line when he is ready and Little could Drop to the third.

This is what I would like our team to look like 2 years from now

Kane,Stastny,Stafford
Ladd,Scheifele,Wheeler
Lowry,Little,??
Wright,Slater,Peluso/Klingberg

Enstrom,Buff
??,Bogo
Kulda,Trouba
Meech,Redmond

Montoya,Pavs

Possibly Lowry might adapt to centre and little could move RW and Telegin could slot on LW.

Last edited:

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Maybe this year. But consider his point production would be higher if he played wing. Look at his history.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
On a good team he is.

5 goals in 37 games playing 20 minutes a night on the 1st line including all power plays.

Cue Garret coming in to highlight that Little's points per 60 is on par with other second liners in the league...

I suppose Ladd is a 3rd liner on a good team too right? This is not little's best year, (though it argueably has been Ladd's) but other years points wise they're often within 5 points of eachother.

There is no team in a salary cap world, except MAYBE team with AHL defense and goaltending, that could possibly have the depth to justify playing little, who is both a good center and winger, on the third line.

Sidepoint----

For what it's worth, I'm starting to wonder if it's a good time to sell high on Buff. Trade for some younger guys who will fit in with the young core we've got, (of which the older guys likely have more longevity than Buff as well. In 5 years I suspect Ladd will still be Ladd, Buff is a far greater risk however) and we might be able to break even in the short term and WAY ahead in the long.

ajmidd12

Know-It-All
Apr 16, 2012
This Planet
I touched on last week how I have always really liked Mike Cammalleri. My only worry is you never really know which player you're going to get. There's 50-65 game Cammalleri who'll get you 40-50 points, but there is also 70-80 game Cammalleri who can get you 70-80 points. He's played center this year and taken a solid number of draws, 417 total, and has won 53.2% of them.

Honestly, for what teams are paying for Iginla, Bouwmeester, etc.. I think I would be all for giving up what it would take to bring Mike Cammalleri to Winnipeg. Best case scenario, he could fill the no.2 center slot for us. And even if he doesn't do that, he'd give us a real good winger.

Many teams won't blink an eye to Cammalleri I wouldn't think based on his salary for next season. He's got one year remaining on his current contract with a cap hit of 6 million and actual salary is 7 million. A hefty price tag, and with the cap going down, that will rule out a lot of teams.

Honestly, given what Iginla and Bouwmeester have gone for, I think we could offer Postma + 2nd and maybe have a deal.
I entirely agree. Postma + 2nd would be a win win for both teams. Or Meech + 2nd. Either way, our depth on D far outweighs our depth in Forwards

I assume you mean to play with Kane and not "for" Kane....
Correct, Kane won't be traded unless we get a HEFTY offer for him.

Or would we likely have to include our 1st? A little hesitant to do that, as that would mean Calgary would have 4 1sts and Columbus would have 3. Draft day would be pretty boring ;D
Haha the draft will be all Florida, Calgary, and Columbus (Florida likely getting first overall). I would really like to see Cammalleri in our lineup.

My Lines with Mike:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Cammalleri - Jokinen
Tangradi - Burmistrov - Miettinen
Thorburn - Antropov - Cormier (Slater)

Bench Wellwood. When Scheifele makes the jump to the NHL move Burmi to the wing on the third line and play Tangradi - Scheifele - Burmi either scratching Miettinen or waiving him.

When Wright is back we need to bench Thorburn, his fights have done very little to get us moving... I think Noel needs to strip the 'A' off Buff, he got it when Slater was injured that's when he started playing weaker, just my opinion.

*EDIT* why is everyone so gunho about putting Scheifele on the 2nd line? or that he is even good enough for that in the NHL? He needs to start at the bottom and work his way up proving himself IMO.

Last edited:

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I entirely agree. Postma + 2nd would be a win win for both teams. Or Meech + 2nd. Either way, our depth on D far outweighs our depth in Forwards

Correct, Kane won't be traded unless we get a HEFTY offer for him.

Haha the draft will be all Florida, Calgary, and Columbus (Florida likely getting first overall). I would really like to see Cammalleri in our lineup.

My Lines with Mike:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Cammalleri - Jokinen
Tangradi - Burmistrov - Miettinen
Thorburn - Antropov - Cormier (Slater)

Bench Wellwood. When Scheifele makes the jump to the NHL move Burmi to the wing on the third line and play Tangradi - Scheifele - Burmi either scratching Miettinen or waiving him.

When Wright is back we need to bench Thorburn, his fights have done very little to get us moving... I think Noel needs to strip the 'A' off Buff, he got it when Slater was injured that's when he started playing weaker, just my opinion.

*EDIT* why is everyone so gunho about putting Scheifele on the 2nd line? or that he is even good enough for that in the NHL? He needs to start at the bottom and work his way up proving himself IMO.
If you note I said this would be my team 2 years from now.Next year Scheif will be on the 3rd line or in the minors and Lowry will probably be in the minors.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

Apologies, but that is ridiculous overpayment. Cammalleri will be 31 for next season, is a UFA after next season with a NTC and a 6 million dollar cap hit, and 7 million dollars in actual money owed in a system where the cap is going down by 10 million.

I wouldn't trade Burmi alone for him, considering what adding his contract may do to the rest of our roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad