What should Chevy do at the deadline? V2.0 New and improved! Pls read OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Apologies for the last poll, I really didn't expect that thread to take off like it did otherwise I would've spent more time on the poll itself.

Poll is multiple choice
Pick one from 1-4
Pick one from 5-8
Pick one from 9-10
Pick one from 11-12

Some good posts from the other thread:

If the price is good for Hainsey/Antropov, definitely have to jump on it. If none of the trades are good enough, stand pat. No point underselling I think. Playoffs all they way and I think both of them will help.

Douglas Murray to the Pens for 2 second round picks going back to the Sharks. Really makes you wonder what Hainsey would get. Two second round picks is a pretty good return.

It would be great to see a team like the NYR trade for Ron. Getting a first rounder that may be a top 15 would be huge in this draft. That's what Id be looking for if I was Chevy, trying to trade him to a team on the playoff bubble line.

I think that we are going to buy a forward at the deadline. I know there is rumblings that Chevy won't rent, but if the right player is available at the right price, I think you have to do it.

Giving up a 2nd and a 3rd for some scoring depth (Chicago's) could help us win a couple games in the post season. Who knows, depending on who we play, maybe even help us advance a series. The money made and the experience gained is worth it. I know we aren't favorites, but you get a good group that gets hot and anything can happen. We also have some pretty nice defensive depth with NHL experience all of the sudden.

With where our first would be the #1 pick is definitely in play for a second line RW if it is the right fit

Seller, buyer, rebuild.

Three of the most overused words by armchair hockey experts these days, with their fancy PhDs in watching TSN fill their air time with hot air!

At the end of the day, grizzled folks who have been in the game will know that there is no magic potion. Sometimes you have to treat it like a sport and go out, compete, and get better by doing.

I expect we'll pretty much stand pat.

OT: How can something be both new and improved?

Last edited:

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
Personally I think it's impossible to expect that either Ron Hainsey or Nik Antropov would bring back useable roster players. You'd think the only teams with interest would be contenders looking to add depth, I wouldn't expect to get anything more than some form of low level prospect or a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.

In the case of Ron Hainsey I'd rather keep him and maybe try to resign him for the real short term if he's interested. Antropov I'm a little more indifferent to.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Personally I think it's impossible to expect that either Ron Hainsey or Nik Antropov would bring back useable roster players. You'd think the only teams with interest would be contenders looking to add depth, I wouldn't expect to get anything more than some form of low level prospect or a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.

I was thinking more along the lines of Antropov + pick for a younger roster player. Obviously we're not talking 1st liners or anything. Or Hainsey for a 2nd line RW, something along those lines. Classic D for F trade.

If the trade involves a non-playoff team they'd do something conditional.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011
I was thinking more along the lines of Antropov + pick for a younger roster player. Obviously we're not talking 1st liners or anything. Or Hainsey for a 2nd line RW, something along those lines. Classic D for F trade.

If the trade involves a non-playoff team they'd do something conditional.

I don't really think someone that would be interested in either Hainsey or Antropov would be all that willing to give up a player that they could actually use on their own roster. They'd be looking to add a new player to their roster without detracting from it.

bazaaa*

I'd trade Hainsey and Antro for whatever we can get. Thinking we'd get a first round pick is ridiculous though. I think he gets over rated here.

I'd pick up Stafford for a 2nd and mid level pick. He gets paid $4M per over the next two years, so it's not even a rental.

Gives us a push this year, and next year it's
Kane Scheifele Stafford
Opposed to
Kane Jokinen Mittens

A real #2 line.

Or Pominville

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
Hainsey Antro and a 2-5 round pick package deal to edmonton for one of there young players? Would that be at all possible? Over payment by us? Under?

bazaaa*

Hainsey Antro and a 2-5 round pick package deal to edmonton for one of there young players? Would that be at all possible? Over payment by us? Under?

Why would Edmonton want two guys who will be free agents next year?

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

If by young players you mean MPS? Even Gagner couldn't be had for two impending UFA's and a pick I don't think.

Savagestevo

Nov 29, 2011

Way under if you mean a young guy actually playing on the Oilers right now, I doubt they'd want anything to do with rental players like those.

You're not going to really get anything useable right now from Rental players. You basically just get future prospects like a pick or a guy currently in Juniors or college.

I mean Jarome Iginla just got traded and he did not bring back a roster player

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
My answers, in an ideal world...
  • Keep Hainsey and re-sign. He really stepped up for us during our rash of defensive injuries. He's not overpaid, he's under-used. If at all possible, hang on to him. He's got another 2 or 3 good years. A team with Meech and Clitsome in the lineup has no business letting Hainsey walk.
  • Sell Antropov for draft picks/prospects. I'd like to get immediate roster players, but I don't realistically expect to get good ones for him.
  • Don't buy players with our draft picks/prospect. We've picked Scheifele and Trouba during the past 2 drafts. The team could be a powerhouse in a few years. Don't mortgage the future.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
What do I think Chevy should do at the Trade Deadline? His friggen job lol.

My first point....Hainsey. Now this is a polarizing subject on this board, I don't really know why. I also don't really get all the hate he gets either. Every time I come into one of these threads, the sentiment is to trade Hainsey. Why? I don't know, but I can speculate. I think the majority of the HF Jets mob(as it were) seems to think that this guy is awful mostly because he doesn't do one thing amazingly. Bogo is a stallion. He hits. He fights. He's got a rocket of a shot and has an offensive upside. Some say Shea Weber, I like Chris Pronger-lite. Buff excels at the offensive side of the game and has really started to work on his defensive lapses. Lots of times he carries the team on his back and makes things happen. Therefore Buff=awesome. Same can be said about Toby, except he has some of the same knocks on him that Ron does....he doesn't hit. Toby is such a great puck
Mover that he doesn't need to though.

The rest of our top D seem excellent in one or more areas...yet the only time you notice Ron is when the puck bounces in off his ass....but people seem to forget that Hains blocks alot of shots and plays alot of the PK minutes and has a very underrated shot from the point. At the end of he day, he may not be a top pairing defensmen, but he can alot in for awhile nicely and makes alot of very smart plays. He's really our most reliable stay at home D.

I do not understand the sentiment to trade him....as of right now, this team will enter the playoffs as the third seed and D is an area that you can never have enough depth at. Hainsey is essential to this team right now. I'd like to see him extended and bring in another top four. This way we can shunt down Hainsey to the bottom pairing next season,

I'll wrote more tomorrow. I'm falling asleep on my
Phone.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Only reason to move Hainsey is if he is not interested in the dotted line.

His call and fair enough, get top value for him.

Other than that unless a team backs up the pick/prostpect train there is little we should do in our position...we already have a number of picks...though if we could parle moving up on our first it would be sweet.

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
I would keep antropov, his size and reach could be exploited in a match up against specific teams.

Iam for trading draft picks, to add some depth. An upgrade over thornburn is needed.

I have a feeling if the jets make it into the playoffs, wellwood and jokinen will get hot and get a lot of points.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Hainsey is 32. He will be looking for a 5+ year contract which the jets won't be interested in. This will be the last chance for hainsey to get good money. No way does he resign with the jets.

He probably gets 5-6 mil on the open market based on what Matt Carle got in TB.

Alot of people seem to think he would sign a 2-3 yr contract. Good luck with that. If you were in Hainseys shoe and you were a business. Would you do that? Doubt it when this is the last chance for him.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
Tough to make a call on any move without knowing the return.

Not really interested in moving anybody unless Chevy talks the partner into an overpay.

Pretty much this.

I think what makes this so complicated is that the market might get to an overpay level. Then it's gut check time for Chevy. He's gonna earn his salary this week.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Keep Hainsey as we have no one yet who can replace him in the top 4. His absence would leave too big of a hole. Hopefully the Jets can re-sign him but that's the chance they need to take.

I'm still undecided on Antro, but no need to move him unless you can get something tangible back...not a mid level pick.

The most fun would be a roster player trade. Maybe for that coveted scoring RW?

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Hainsey's a keeper. Unless the Jets got a first rounder, or a second rounder and roster player, I think they should get him to re-sign.

Antropov, I'm not entirely certain what to do with him. I like what he brings as a third liner, but he plays below his talent level a lot of games. And what exactly are the Jets going to get for him? Is any team going to want to overpay for a 33 year old third liner? I really like him as a person; he's sly, funny and seems to enjoy being in Winnipeg, but I just don't see the Jets keeping him long term - he's a stop-gap player until the kids start making their impact felt in the big league.

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Keep em both and Re-Sign... We arent at a stage where we can just let players walk without knowing that we have a solid replacement

But ive been thinkin...

Jets need to Trade for Hemsky... He is finally healthy after all these years and can elevate his game in the Playoffs. We need a 2nd line RW to play with Kane and Hemmer could be that guy. He has another year on his deal so it wouldn't be a rental and could give us a very good top 6

Mighty Joe Moon

Jun 5, 2011
Lockport
Trade the Oduya picks for a forward. Iginla really didn't get THAT much, especially if the Pens resign him. But, I don't see how he can't get a forward to play with Kane. He could really be a best with the proper help. I think Antropov could potentially be a good center for that line. He's good in the slot and down low. He could be a Phil Esposito type with the proper wingers. Just get in the way and look to bang home rebounds. Unless the plan is to have Scheifele be his center right off the bat next year. If they can't/won't resign Hainsey, I think you might trade him as well. Clitsome has played reasonably well, I don't think the turnovers have been as glaring as his detractors say (after a while it becomes self-fulfilling prophecy--people LOOK for him to screw up), he has been playing with Buff, and I think with Buff the organisation is making a trade-off in increased offensive production in exchange for less than stellar defensive play. I think Clit could be more responsible settling in with Bogo, with more focus on defensive play and not trying to make that Housley-Selanne pass all the time. It really sucks that Redmond is out.

But yeah, go get the winger he said he was looking for. I don't see how you don't do that.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Keep em both and Re-Sign... We arent at a stage where we can just let players walk without knowing that we have a solid replacement

But ive been thinkin...

Jets need to Trade for Hemsky... He is finally healthy after all these years and can elevate his game in the Playoffs. We need a 2nd line RW to play with Kane and Hemmer could be that guy. He has another year on his deal so it wouldn't be a rental and could give us a very good top 6

I would be reluctant to trade for anyone to go on Kane's line at this point. It just seems that's the place other players go to die. Kane is a great solo act and provides good secondary scoring for us but so far nobody has fit naturally with him and I would hate to get another player with 2nd line pedigree and pay grade that gets stuck in limbo because he doesn't mesh with Kane. I think we are going to have to fill that position from within over the next few seasons.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I am assuming that the Jets will not be willing/able to re-sign Hainsey.

In that case, I think it makes sense to trade him for picks/prospects, as long as the selling price is high enough. For me, a pick in the top 40 this year would be enough return for him.

I am less interested in trading Antropov, since I don't think the return would be that great. However, if the return is good (I'd prefer a decent 3rd line forward prospect with size and speed), then I think the Jets should consider it. There would be nothing stopping them from re-signing him in the off-season anyway.

I would not favour trying to trade picks or prospects for a roster player right now. This is absolutely the worst time in terms of value for doing this.

I would always be open to the right trade of player for player, especially if it strengthens the forward position. However, I would not favour trading one of our more attractive pieces (Burmi or Buff) at this point in time. I think that the trade value for Burmi will be too low relative to his potential, and I still think that Buff is one of the few players in the league that can be a true playoff beast (though I still think that he needs to trim down a bit to continue to log big minutes, especially in the playoffs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad