What Needs to Happen This Offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Odd question but what's hampering us with the salary cap? We're not paying hardly anyone an unreasonable salary aside from Iginla, and even then all factors considered he's maybe $2 million overpaid. Our best goaltender is paid fairly, our best forwards are paid fairly, our best defensemen are paid fairly... how are other franchises building cost-controlled teams with enormous contracts while we're up against the cap? Who's the problem?

Iginla + Winchester + McLeod + Stuart + Holden = 12.666M of cap space. Now, obviously nobody knew at the time what would happen to Winchester so we can't fault him for that, but the rest are just poor hockey players and they're taking up 11.766M of cap space. It could go a long way to improving this club.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Odd question but what's hampering us with the salary cap? We're not paying hardly anyone an unreasonable salary aside from Iginla, and even then all factors considered he's maybe $2 million overpaid. Our best goaltender is paid fairly, our best forwards are paid fairly, our best defensemen are paid fairly... how are other franchises building cost-controlled teams with enormous contracts while we're up against the cap? Who's the problem?
Our best players are paid fairly, but Ej's extension hasn't even kicked in yet, and MacK and Barrie are going to get big raises. Eventually, the cap will probably catch up to everyone. Chicago has found ways around it, but with the Toews, Kane, and Seabrook contracts, they're going to take a hit at some point. LA is probably in the same boat.

The contracts that are steals are what saves a lot of those teams. Duncan Keith's contract is going to continue to save the Hawks ass for a bit. Muzzin in LA. John Carlson in Washington.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I made this question a few days ago and got no answer, but i'll try again:

When was the last time a goalie was traded and got a top young defender in return?

People are delusional if they think they can get Hamilton in a trade for Varlamov.

Hamonic may be a possibility because of the trade request, but even that is a long shot, IMO.

A low first round pick is the ultimate best i would expect for him.

I don't know what Varly would return in trade, but I think the rarity in big returns has to do with teams not trading goalies as good as Varly under contract. They're usually struggling goaltenders, or unproven ones.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Those two barely played together. They weren't together in camp, and they didn't play any preseason games together either, if I remember correctly. They played about a game and a half together and then never got put back together. Roy had Gormley with Barrie all camp and preseason and then changed everything at the last second.

Roy tried it at least once in a game, and very early in camp. The point is that they tried not to use Holden next to Barrie at first, and that they expected Zadorov to be a top four defender right away after the trade.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche...rlamov-gets-russian-company-two-new-teammates (They projected Zadorov to be with Barrie from the start)

I forgot about him trying Gormley there for most of camp though.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Our best players are paid fairly, but Ej's extension hasn't even kicked in yet, and MacK and Barrie are going to get big raises. Eventually, the cap will probably catch up to everyone. Chicago has found ways around it, but with the Toews, Kane, and Seabrook contracts, they're going to take a hit at some point. LA is probably in the same boat.

The contracts that are steals are what saves a lot of those teams. Duncan Keith's contract is going to continue to save the Hawks ass for a bit. Muzzin in LA. John Carlson in Washington.

Now we just need to take advantage of the NYI's and Hamonic so we can get ours lol.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
They clearly planned on Zadorov playing with Barrie because they didn't have any good fallback options, except another young question mark in Gormley, and then the old stop gap plan of Holden and Guenin, which they used the rest of the year.

They were planning on it early in camp, and it didn't look that good, and then they tried it again vs Anaheim I believe and it still didn't look good. Just like how they planned on Stuart playing with EJ, they quickly realized neither were capable at the time. A huge overestimation IMO that might have cost them the playoffs. One legit defender to play with Barrie all year and slot everyone into place would have helped a lot.

Last edited:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
They clearly planned on Zadorov playing with Barrie because they didn't have any good fallback options, except another young question mark in Gormley, and then the old stop gap plan of Holden and Guenin, which they used the rest of the year.

They were planning on it early in camp, and it didn't look that good, and then they tried it again vs Anaheim I believe and it still didn't look good. Just like how they planned on Stuart playing with EJ, they quickly realized neither were capable at the time.
I'm not sure what Anaheim game you're talking about. Zadorov never spent an actual practice with Barrie once camp started. They were together during the informal scrimmages, but once the actual practices started with the team, Roy wasn't using them as partners. Gormley was with Barrie basically all through preseason and camp and Z was with a lot of different players, and Beauch and EJ were inseparable. I still remember Roy going on TV saying they think Gormley can be a top 4 guy for them this year, then blowing that up like 3 days later, right before the regular season started.

They may have planned for it in the summer, but it never happened in camp, so they must have changed their minds before they got on the ice. The only time it really happened was the Dallas and Boston games at the start of the year, and the Boston game was a disaster, so they never tried it again. I'm not sure it would have worked well, but Zadorov had a lot of different partners to start the year, and I don't think that helped with his play all that much. The Avs definitely didn't go into camp with much of a backup plan.

Barrie spent camp with Gormley, was with Guenin opening night, then with Zadorov for 1.5 games, then ended up with Holden for the rest of the year. Guy really needs to be given a good and stable partner. When people talk about Barrie not being worth the money, I just get a little confused because the guy has had to carry around anchors as his partner for 3 years now (Guenin and Holden).

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm still a McLeod fan, I think he does a lot of important things for the team, goes out and plays hard and does the dirty, unsexy jobs that too many of our core players don't do. I think it sets a good example for the rest of the guys and I'm glad he wears the A. So I wouldn't put him in the bin with Mitchell and Holden as far as wasted cap space.

Mitchell and Holden are both eminently moveable contracts too, I can easily see both of them moved for picks or as packages in the offseason, that saves 3.3m right there, we can use that money to get some cheaper forward depth instead. Iggy and Stuart are the real weights on our legs contracts wise.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy didn't say a whole lot that was different than what he has been saying, other than the stuff about defensive structure. 3rd period meltdowns, disappointing end to the season, etc. MacKinnon's knee injury was worse than they thought, and he's still rehabbing, would be very surprised if he played in the WC's. He did say they're going to make changes to their defensive structure and pressure the other team more (at least, that's what I heard). The Avs defensemen back in a lot and I think that's hurt them. The other teams were able to gain the offensive blueline too easily at times.

When he talks about how much he wishes he could bring in a Doughty or a Keith on defense, but then says it's not that easy, defensemen are the hardest to acquire...I think he's trying to temper expectations a bit. I think people expecting a big trade for a top 4 defensemen this summer should probably take a step back. I'm not expecting a very different blueline than the one that ended the season here. Everyone expects the Stuart contract to disappear but I really don't know. LTIR is a mystery to me. Don't you have to be right up against the cap to use it?

McNab is on the radio now, but I haven't been listening.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I don't know what Varly would return in trade, but I think the rarity in big returns has to do with teams not trading goalies as good as Varly under contract. They're usually struggling goaltenders, or unproven ones.

Established #1 don't get traded very often, you are right, but at the same time Varlamov is coming off two seasons where he has struggled some, especially this last year.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Roy didn't say a whole lot that was different than what he has been saying, other than the stuff about defensive structure. 3rd period meltdowns, disappointing end to the season, etc. MacKinnon's knee injury was worse than they thought, and he's still rehabbing, would be very surprised if he played in the WC's. He did say they're going to make changes to their defensive structure and pressure the other team more (at least, that's what I heard). The Avs defensemen back in a lot and I think that's hurt them. The other teams were able to gain the offensive blueline too easily at times.

When he talks about how much he wishes he could bring in a Doughty or a Keith on defense, but then says it's not that easy, defensemen are the hardest to acquire...I think he's trying to temper expectations a bit. I think people expecting a big trade for a top 4 defensemen this summer should probably take a step back. I'm not expecting a very different blueline than the one that ended the season here. Everyone expects the Stuart contract to disappear but I really don't know. LTIR is a mystery to me. Don't you have to be right up against the cap to use it?

one can use LTIR any time but teams that cap issues and need that LTIR help to get under the cap; there are some ways it can be arranged but to maximize the LTIR savings, the closer one is to the cap, the better.

red wings, for example, operated under 67 mil (or something like that) cap last season. franzen and datsyuk both started the season on IR which messed up their plans.

this is obviously not an issue for teams that have tons of cap space and don't ned to maximize every penny of LTIR space. but i'd assume it will be an issue for the avs.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
What if Stuart's healthy next season?

Then they'll have to use the Toronto buy out option, where you pay team assets instead of money.

Stuart's contract has to be a non-factor for them to do anything meaningful, unless some voodoo happens and they actually trade Iginla.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Unless Sakic sat down and had a real long discussion with Lou about Robidas-ing him, I don't see them able to make Stuart's $$ disappear next season - at least not to start the season. He could well end up back on LTIR at some point but I don't know think anyone should be counting on that cap-space.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

So you don't believe we'll have a shot at Hamonic? That's probably where I need to take a step back lol, I really want that to happen. It fixes so many issues.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd assume that the Avs' doctors have to clear Stuart before he can play again (recovery from back surgery and likely hasn't been cleared so far). They can just not clear him for contact next season and LTIR him. Now to get the maximum savings some fancy footwork has to be done, but the Avs can figure that out.

The risk of just not clearing Stuart (and he wants to play) is that he appeals and wants an independent doctor. He can do that and it could leave the Avs in quite the pickle if that becomes the case.

My guess is that Stuart 'retires' and he is put on LTIR for his final season.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Maximizing Stuart's LTIR money should be fairly easy. Guys like Rantanen and Bigras can be sent down on paper (+ maybe a guy or two you won't mind losing on waivers if it comes to that) in order to get just under the cap before placing Stuart on LTIR.

Problem is, we don't know if Stuart is actually at the "won't come back from injury" point, so it makes it a bit of a gamble. I'm sure Sakic knows more than us, but unless the player is willing to "retire" via LTIR or is actually incapable of being cleared to return, it is a bit risky to count on that space being available

edit: Hench beat me to it above

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Saying you want fewer turnovers is like saying you want more goals or fewer penalties. It doesn't mean anything.

The problem is Avs players aren't supporting each other and their breakout system requires the defenders to try passes that are too hard for them. Turnovers is just one of many symptoms of the problems Avs are having and the core can't fix that. Getting the team to play fundamentally sound hockey can.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Iginla + Winchester + McLeod + Stuart + Holden = 12.666M of cap space. Now, obviously nobody knew at the time what would happen to Winchester so we can't fault him for that, but the rest are just poor hockey players and they're taking up 11.766M of cap space. It could go a long way to improving this club.

That's probably the best explanation. The Stuart scenario will always baffle me.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So nothing interesting from these radio interviews today?

Also, is there no end of season media day type of thing? Was that 10 minute Sakic presser it?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Turned on TSN when I got home and heard Button and McKenzie talking about the Cameron firing. Some highlights of why it had to happen.......

-A lot of disorganization in their own zone.

-Seemed like when one player broke down, the entire team broke down.

-It's the coaches job to give the team a plan. To give the players an understanding of how to play without the puck.

-It didn't just end in their own zone. They were seemingly getting ahead of the play exiting their own zone.

-Didn't seem to be enough symmetry with the puck coming out of their zone or in their own zone when without the puck.

-"That falls entirely on the coach. It's the coach's job to organize the team."

Sounds familiar.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Turned on TSN when I got home and heard Button and McKenzie talking about the Cameron firing. Some highlights of why it had to happen.......

-A lot of disorganization in their own zone.

-Seemed like when one player broke down, the entire team broke down.

-It's the coaches job to give the team a plan. To give the players an understanding of how to play without the puck.

-It didn't just end in their own zone. They were seemingly getting ahead of the play exiting their own zone.

-Didn't seem to be enough symmetry with the puck coming out of their zone or in their own zone when without the puck.

-"That falls entirely on the coach. It's the coach's job to organize the team."

Sounds familiar.

But he was a hero last year?!?! :laugh:

Looks like Tourigny made the wrong decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad