What Needs to Happen This Offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Anyone else having a hard time trying to figure out what Varly's value would be? Fans never know for sure with anyone but at least with some others you could maybe guess and end up pretty close. I think goalies are wild cards though.

Varly has shown he can be a top 10 goalie but also had some struggles this past season. He's still pretty young but he also has a decent sized cap hit and has had some injuries. I could see a good defenseman/high pick, a mid 1st round pick, a solid prospect and 2nd round pick, etc. In other words, nothing would surprise me.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Anyone else having a hard time trying to figure out what Varly's value would be? Fans never know for sure with anyone but at least with some others you could maybe guess and end up pretty close. I think goalies are wild cards though.

Varly has shown he can be a top 10 goalie but also had some struggles this past season. He's still pretty young but he also has a decent sized cap hit and has had some injuries. I could see a good defenseman/high pick, a mid 1st round pick, a solid prospect and 2nd round pick, etc. In other words, nothing would surprise me.

I'd be disappointed in anything less than a top-10 pick, or a player with that kind of value. That's what Cory Schneider returned, that's what I'd expect Semyon Varlamov to return.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
As an Oiler fan, what would it take to get Tyson Barrie this summer??

I'd want Draisaitl. Want nothing to do with RNH or Eberle, both are the exact opposite of what this team needs. Both are creampuff soft and RNH is ok defensively while Eberle is non existent when it comes to defense.

McDavid is an Oiler for life, Hall is too much to ask, Yakupov is not nearly enough, Nurse isn't getting traded. So basically that leaves Draisaitl as the best option for the Avs if they are moving Barrie.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd be disappointed in anything less than a top-10 pick, or a player with that kind of value. That's what Cory Schneider returned, that's what I'd expect Semyon Varlamov to return.

That's ridiculous though. Varlamov is not close to the level of goalie Schneider is or even was when he was traded. Doesn't hold anywhere near that value.

Given the upcoming expansion draft and the fact that teams can only keep 1 goalie, the goalie market this summer is gonna be awful.

If we can get a 1st in any range + prospect or another pick I would be happy with that return.

We aren't going to get a Top 10 pick or anything like that. Absolutely not.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That's ridiculous though. Varlamov is not close to the level of goalie Schneider is or even was when he was traded. Doesn't hold anywhere near that value.

Given the upcoming expansion draft and the fact that teams can only keep 1 goalie, the goalie market this summer is gonna be awful.

If we can get a 1st in any range + prospect or another pick I would be happy with that return.

We aren't going to get a Top 10 pick or anything like that. Absolutely not.

That opening statement is what's ridiculous. Not the level of Schneider AT THE TIME?

Cory Schneider leading up to the 2013 NHL draft had played a grand spanking total of 98 career NHL games, and was coming off of his first ever season as a starter in the NHL and it occurred in the lockout shortened season. There's no way anyone can say that Varlamov now is not close to the level of Schneider at that time. That's asinine.

HockeyDonkey33

Dec 12, 2009
Denver CO
Looking at cap-geek for the avs is kinda depressing, we have a lot of cash tied up on players that could be put to use better.

Can we really make a splash in FA with what we have tied up and who we have to resign? I just don't see it without trading someone important....

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
That opening statement is what's ridiculous. Not the level of Schneider AT THE TIME?

Cory Schneider leading up to the 2013 NHL draft had played a grand spanking total of 98 career NHL games, and was coming off of his first ever season as a starter in the NHL and it occurred in the lockout shortened season. There's no way anyone can say that Varlamov now is not close to the level of Schneider at that time. That's asinine.

This. Schneider had never played more than 33 games in a season when he got traded to NJ. Sure he put up good numbers in the games he did play, but he also played on a Stanley Cup caliber team something Varly has never even remotely had.

There was a ton of risk for NJ in trading for Schneider, could he play a full season and post similar numbers, would he put up similar numbers on a weaker team.

Varly has proven much more than Schneider ever did in Vancouver. **** Varly almost won a Vezina with an AHL defense something that Schneider never has had to deal with.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

There absolutely is.

Schneider at the time of his trade was young, had shown a tonne of promise in every league he played in, was steadily improving year after year, and had just overtaken one of the leagues better goalies(Luongo) for the #1 job on a cup contending team.

Varlamov now is coming off of 2 disappointing seasons, especially this year where he lost the confidence of his coach to be the guy on more then one occasion. He's got a big contract, and he has a history of injuries.

Theres no doubt in my mind the Avs will not get anything close to what the Canucks got for Schneider. Literally not one doubt. And people who think he's gonna return a top 10 pick in this years draft with the way he's played of late, with his contract, and with the expansion draft looming. That's what is really insane.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
lol Corey is a good goalie but is sheltered...Varly has him beat in every aspect of goaltending. Except for stick handling. Only reason he has better numbers is because of systems each of the teams play. I can honestly, say that I'm probably the only non Devils fan to watch 40+ games of theirs.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
lol Corey is a good goalie but is sheltered...Varly has him beat in every aspect of goaltending. Except for stick handling. Only reason he has better numbers is because of systems each of the teams play. I can honestly, say that I'm probably the only non Devils fan to watch 40+ games of theirs.

Could not disagree more with this. I take Schneider all day over Varlamov. I actually dont think theres a single thing Varlamov has the advantage over Schneider in.

Perhaps agility? But that's about it. Schneider has way better fundamentals. He's got a better butterfly.

He's also significantly more consistent then Varly. The most important aspect of a goalies game at the NHL level IMO. Lots of goalies are capable of getting hot for stretches, its the goalies who can be consistently good while also have those great periods that separate themselves from the pack. Varly isn't one of those guys, Schneider is.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
There absolutely is.

Schneider at the time of his trade was young, had shown a tonne of promise in every league he played in, was steadily improving year after year, and had just overtaken one of the leagues better goalies(Luongo) for the #1 job on a cup contending team.

Varlamov now is coming off of 2 disappointing seasons, especially this year where he lost the confidence of his coach to be the guy on more then one occasion. He's got a big contract, and he has a history of injuries.

Theres no doubt in my mind the Avs will not get anything close to what the Canucks got for Schneider. Literally not one doubt. And people who think he's gonna return a top 10 pick in this years draft with the way he's played of late, with his contract, and with the expansion draft looming. That's what is really insane.

Young? He was the same age as Varly is right now when he got traded.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Maybe agility? How about reflexes? Theres not a goalie in the world that can make the saves Varly can. He's down right explosive, the fact I have to explain this to an avs fan is alarming.

Varly was poor fundamentally before the arrival of Allarie, but since then he's improved dramatically. Corey is a mattress goalie. While good at what he does, play him behind this avs defence and you'll be begging for Varly back.

Only reason varly is not consistent is because of the circus in front of him. Play him in the devils system and he'd be racking up the vezinas.

As I said before earlier this year, Varly has a sub par month trade rumours occur...while goalies like Lundqvist/Rask/Price(last year) can be cold for months and nobody would bat an eye because they can lean on the teams in front of them. Varly does not have that luxury, he literally has to stand on his head all game for the avs to have a fighting chance...could you imagine the pressure, knowing one of your defenders will have a brain fart at any moment and gift the forwards a golden chance? Varly faces that multiple times in a period.

The fact Gueinin,Holden,Redmon,Gormely,new balls have played long stretches of games at sometimes even look passable is a testament to his ability. Hell Gueinin/Holden owe him half their salary.

Trade varly without getting another top goalie and I will guarantee you the avs would be dead last next year. Sadly, I think it might happen.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Only way you can trade Duchene is if there's another deal in place to bring back a top line center - and that seems unlikely. Avs had a couple of chances to make a choice on this - could have picked Barkov, or they could have gone with O'reilly over Duchene. But Mack and Duchene are the horses they chose, so now you've got to ride them.

I said before I didn't think a team could lose Stastny and O'reilly in consecutive offseasons and still be successful, but it becomes 10x more true if you lose Duchene too.

Only other scenario it makes sense to move him is if they're blowing everything up. Then you keep Rantanen and your young dmen and build from the net out, moving everyone else.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Could not disagree more with this. I take Schneider all day over Varlamov. I actually dont think theres a single thing Varlamov has the advantage over Schneider in.

Perhaps agility? But that's about it. Schneider has way better fundamentals. He's got a better butterfly.

Schneider is an excellent goaltender, so I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that Varlamov might be rated below Schneider.

I have a question though. There's no doubt Varlamov wasn't as good this season as in seasons past. However, even in this 'down' season, there had to be at least a dozen games where Varlamov posted a .920 or better save% in an Avs win when the Avs were outshot - a number of times by a large margin. Varlamov still stole some such games for Colorado this year - heck, sometimes with save percentages of .940, .970, etc. in games they had no business winning otherwise.

Question: How many times per season should a goaltender be expected to 'win' a game for his team like that?

I'm not asking the question rhetorically, I honestly don't know the answer.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Expecting that your goalie will bail you out night in and night out is a foolhardy expectation. I really can't say what number of games out of 82 your goalie should steal, but if you need your goalie to steal games, or to even outperform his competition on the other end of the ice on regular basis, you're not in good position to succeed long-term to begin with.

Varlamov should be our clincher, the guy who will make that one big save when needs be, and not the guy who has to make 10 garde A saves in order that we aren't blown out of the water.

As for the Schneider comparison, Schneider was as old as Varlamov is now when he was traded, he wasn't nearly as proven, played behind the best defensive team in the NHL, and right now has the luxury of playing behind a well structured, defense first team that features one of the best D pairings in the NHL in Greene and Larsson.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Only way you can trade Duchene is if there's another deal in place to bring back a top line center - and that seems unlikely. Avs had a couple of chances to make a choice on this - could have picked Barkov, or they could have gone with O'reilly over Duchene. But Mack and Duchene are the horses they chose, so now you've got to ride them.

I said before I didn't think a team could lose Stastny and O'reilly in consecutive offseasons and still be successful, but it becomes 10x more true if you lose Duchene too.

Only other scenario it makes sense to move him is if they're blowing everything up. Then you keep Rantanen and your young dmen and build from the net out, moving everyone else.

A trade along the lines of Barrie for rnh and then they could flip duchene for a dman. Would basically just be a reshuffling

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
If the Avs trade Duchene, it'll be because they believe that the Top-2 Centers (MacKinnon and Duchene) are too similar in style, and that they'll need one who's a bigger-bodied 2-way player. I would be really surprised if they traded Duchene just to turn around and acquire someone like RNH (not that he's a bad player).

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
People not liking ZBad I can understand, but to not think he would be a prime Roy type target in those early season trade rumors are in a bit of denial I think.

I have to think Montreal may have reached out as well going by need and MBs comments. Makes it fun to ponder what he may have offered.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
IMO the reason Varly isn't consistent isn't the system, it isn't his fundamentals... it is his puck tracking. There are times he is downright bad at it. When he is tracking the puck, he is nearly unbeatable. When he isn't, he lets in soft goals.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

And people forget Varly was arguably the best goaltender in the nhl. He should have won it over Rask. They are same calibre goaltenders now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad