What Needs to Happen This Offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This organization really needs to start thinking little bit defense, they haven't drafted and developed a solid d-man since Foote and that was Quebec. Yeah they've drafted Barrie who has become a really good offensive d-man, but as far as someone that can actually play defense, it's ridiculous to think that Foote was the last guy.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
This organization really needs to start thinking little bit defense, they haven't drafted and developed a solid d-man since Foote and that was Quebec. Yeah they've drafted Barrie who has become a really good offensive d-man, but as far as someone that can actually play defense, it's ridiculous to think that Foote was the last guy.

Give the new regime a chance, I think Meloche has a lot of potential to break that streak in a few years.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Too early to tell if Bigras can play defense but this year he sure wasn't ready for the NHL, constantly getting beat one on one and just being mistake prone. I can't really get my hopes up like some people here do about Bigras

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Just watched that Sakic press conference from earlier. Jesus. If you need players who manage the game better and a smarter, why did you let Stastny and ROR go in back to back seasons. Those are game managers.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Too early to tell if Bigras can play defense but this year he sure wasn't ready for the NHL, constantly getting beat one on one and just being mistake prone. I can't really get my hopes up like some people here do about Bigras

This is amazing.

You're opinion on literally everything related to the Avs is always, ALWAYS negative.

What's the point. If you're this disgruntled as a fan just stop watching, pick a new team, new sport, new anything. I hope you dont feel obligated to stay on as a fan.

Anyway. Bigras was probably the Avs best Dman for about half the games he played. Sure he had a few rough games as well, and made some mistakes. But what 20/21 Year old Rookie NHL Dman doesn't enter the league making mistakes?

Just an outright brutal post.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Just watched that Sakic press conference from earlier. Jesus. If you need players who manage the game better and a smarter, why did you let Stastny and ROR go in back to back seasons. Those are game managers.

What I didn't like about Sakic's press conference is that he basically said they know what's wrong and they'll fix it for next year. Right before game 82. Not take some time off and analyze the season. Not turn every stone.

But he was adamant it wasn't a coaching problem. He almost sneered at the suggestion that coaching would be an issue and went on a "we're in this together" speech.

The coach and GM joined at the hip is usually a bad idea. Especially when the owners view them with reverence for historic reasons. All the normal mechanisms for accountability are disabled.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This is amazing.

You're opinion on literally everything related to the Avs is always, ALWAYS negative.

What's the point. If you're this disgruntled as a fan just stop watching, pick a new team, new sport, new anything. I hope you dont feel obligated to stay on as a fan.

Anyway. Bigras was probably the Avs best Dman for about half the games he played. Sure he had a few rough games as well, and made some mistakes. But what 20/21 Year old Rookie NHL Dman doesn't enter the league making mistakes?

Just an outright brutal post.

Nah, I'm just fine as a fan. People on here just tend to get their hopes up alot just like they did hand full of years ago when they thought this team would win the cup by now with the Duchene, Landeskog and later the MacKinnon core.

Just because I'm being realistic, doesn't mean I'm a bad fan, I'm just not delusional. I knew this team wasn't gonna win the cup after 5 years since drafting Duchene, and people would criticise me for that as well.

The team is regressing just like I thought they would, and the core is under question mark and perhaps will be broken up.

Oh and I can name few young d-men made the NHL and out of no where and made a lot less mistakes than Bigras. You people just have too much unrealistic expectations from some players that's all. Bigras was absolutely not NHL ready

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
As much as I hate to agree with the_fan, he is right about Bigras this year. I feel (and hope) that he will be ready for a full time roster spot after camp. He got some good experience (I hope it did not hurt him playing for a team this poor). He made some good plays here and there, and showed big promise....but this year, he was bad.

He was the Avs most protected defender. By a long shot. The next closest defender to Bigras' 15.67% ZSO%Rel that also played 30+ games was Redmond... with 7.43%. Despite that massive sheltering, Bigras had the worst CF% of all the defenders with 30+ games at 42.75%...next was FB with 43.25% but he was the least sheltered D. To be fair to Bigras, he did have slightly better CF% than Guenin and Bodnarchuck, and they were sheltered almost as much...anyone want to argue that they were NHL quality D this year?

Similar story with Rantanen. He wasn't the most sheltered F (Duchene), but his CF% was abyssmal at 37.5%. Rendulic was as well, with 25% in his 3 games. Despite Rantanen's amazing season for SAR, he was not ready for prime time yet. He will be next year. He also needs to be played in the right position.

Zadorov on the other hand was not sheltered (-2.01% only being EJ, FB and Stuart's 6 games). Yet he had better CF% than all but the statistical anomalies (and sheltered) Gormley and Redmond. A hair behind him in both categories is Holden...im my mind showing that he was not early as bad as some make him out to be. Going into next year, Zads should be paired with Barrie (though play style may not let that work). Maybe have him up with EJ to spare FB the minutes and match styles a bit better. Holden babysitting and grooming his replacement in Bigras makes sense.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs have a long history of bad defenders having decent corsi figures. From Elliott, O'Brien, Redmond to now Holden. It shouldn't be used to make any kind of meaningful hockey decision.

Holden stinks. Can't skate. Can't pass. Can't read the game. It's obvious he shouldn't be a regular NHL player and the quicker Avs front office realize this the better off we'll be.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
In sports it is always easiest to be the contrarian and pessimist and be "right" later on. If we all adapted that model odds are always in our favor and we'd look like the smartest group on HF.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That line with Rendulic and Rantanen was a disaster, I fully believe it cost them the Boston game early in the year. That was one of the worst things Roy tried to do all year, burned 2/3 of Rantanen's look when they full well knew he wasn't going to stay and gave him another rookie to boot. Then he comes back and plays with McLeod and Skille on the 4th line. So no, I don't put much stock in whatever his numbers show from his 70 minutes of ice time in the NHL. Bigras will be fine, his last few games must really be coloring the perception around here. He actually did good things far earlier than anyone expected.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
What I didn't like about Sakic's press conference is that he basically said they know what's wrong and they'll fix it for next year. Right before game 82. Not take some time off and analyze the season. Not turn every stone.

But he was adamant it wasn't a coaching problem. He almost sneered at the suggestion that coaching would be an issue and went on a "we're in this together" speech.

The coach and GM joined at the hip is usually a bad idea. Especially when the owners view them with reverence for historic reasons. All the normal mechanisms for accountability are disabled.

Can you imagine the follow-up questions if he had admitted anything different than what he said? That would have certainly reached Canada and blown up here for sure.

At least they are acknowledging that they are going to need to play differently to be successful...it's a start.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Wait, are we saying Bigras doesn't play defense?

It's too early to annoint anything in regards to Bigras IMO, except that he did pretty well in a number of games for a 20 year old in his first NHL stint, and he struggled at times as a 20 year old in his first NHL stint.

That said, the_fan is absolutely correct in regards to the Avs history with defensemen. I've been barking about that same thing for a decade or more. The Avalanche have never - not one single time - drafted and developed a Top 4 two-way defenseman (or a Top 4 quality defensive defenseman) in the history of their franchise. 20 years and running. They've drafted a few who developed elsewhere (Regehr, Boychuk, Shattenkirk, and to a lesser extent Gilbert/Sauer), they drafted/developed a couple who were good offensively but subpar defensively (Liles, Barrie), and they certainly traded for defensemen who came in and played well.

But draft + develop blue liners who turned into quality defensive players? Nope. The biggest success story in Colorado's 20 year history in this respect is Martin Skoula. After him, we're in Rick Berry/Jeff Finger territory. :help:

Here's to hoping that Bigras changes this.

Last edited:

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Maximizing Stuart's LTIR money should be fairly easy. Guys like Rantanen and Bigras can be sent down on paper (+ maybe a guy or two you won't mind losing on waivers if it comes to that) in order to get just under the cap before placing Stuart on LTIR.

Problem is, we don't know if Stuart is actually at the "won't come back from injury" point, so it makes it a bit of a gamble. I'm sure Sakic knows more than us, but unless the player is willing to "retire" via LTIR or is actually incapable of being cleared to return, it is a bit risky to count on that space being available

edit: Hench beat me to it above

It's in the best interest of players on LTIR to remain in it versus retirement. Players under contract get their medical bills payed by the team. Retired players have to pay out of their pockets. And cap wise it's better for the team. It's win win for both sides.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

I think that's a bit harsh. I thought he played pretty well for 20 games or so, then he tanked when the team did.

And I can't help but wonder if his concussion on March 5th affected him in some way. Because he really did struggle at times near the end of the season.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Zadorov on the other hand was not sheltered (-2.01% only being EJ, FB and Stuart's 6 games). Yet he had better CF% than all but the statistical anomalies (and sheltered) Gormley and Redmond. A hair behind him in both categories is Holden...

And that should tell you that this statistical analysis in and of itself doesn't tell the whole story.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Rookies almost always hit a wall at somepoint during the season. Teams get NHL tape on a kid and start exploiting their weaknesses. Happens all the time. Bigras hitting a wall was expected. How he adapts over the summer and early in next season will be important. He will be fine.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
With Bigras' talent and the progression he's shown since being drafted if they can't turn him into a regular NHL defensemen then the entire org deserves to find new careers outside of hockey.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
With Bigras' talent and the progression he's shown since being drafted if they can't turn him into a regular NHL defensemen then the entire org deserves to find new careers outside of hockey.

100% agree... there is nothing about Bigras that should fail. He should at least be a solid #4 with any sort of development.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Because they had to make the decision one and two years ago with a cheaper Duchene and a future MacKinnon raise. Not this year where Duchene had another slow start, and Nate still hadn't taken that next step yet.

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
Morgan Rielly just received a 6 years $30million dollar contract. He has played basically as many games as Barrie, and Barrie has outproduced him by a fair margin. Likely Rielly is better defensively by a fair margin. I think the $5million tag is pretty fair since Barrie is never going to be a #1 type guy and will always be an offense first guy.

Do we resign Barrie if he refuses to sign unless its for more than $5million per season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino