Speculation: What moves could McPhee try, if he is looking to make them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
A 3 year deal isn't very attractive from his standpoint. That takes him to 35+ status. A few teams might offer him 5 or maybe even 6 year deals.

I'd do 4 years at 6m if that's what it takes. Tampa will probably offer him 2-3 years at 5m.

I think teams are more wary of signing players until 37 so a 3 year deal definitely seems possible, maybe even probable.

GKG18

Expansion Fan
Jun 25, 2016
Hendertucky
He's definitely not a playmaker. A 2 way center is the category he'd be under this year and last year he was more of a sniper by looking at the numbers, but no way he's a playmaker center.
I get that, but if he is creating opportunities and the skater on the other end can't finish, that doesn't necessarily disqualify him. Maybe he's more of a creator?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
In Friedman's 31 threads- er, 31 Thoughts, he mentions Chris Stewart wanting to make an NHL comeback. He's friends with Reaves from his days as a St Louis Blue. I wonder if he'll get a tryout next camp.

18. Anthony Stewart, who played 12 pro seasons in exotic locales from AHL Rochester to KHL Zagreb, is lending his knowledge to Sportsnet. He says brother Chris, who played the most recent of his 652 NHL games last season in Calgary, is in England, getting ready to make a comeback for next season. Anthony said Chris had tryout offers with Boston and Toronto, but decided to take a pass last fall.
31 Thoughts: All eyes on Senators as trade deadline nears - Sportsnet.ca

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Bold predictions for the NHL trade deadline Bold predictions for the NHL trade deadline
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

ESPN predicts we get both Stone and Duchene. I say they are on crack.
Even crack won't be enough to come up with that prediction. I can see GMGM push for Stone(as he did before we settled on Patches), but I doubt a trade will happen.

Anyway, I will stand by that aquiring a great forward wouldn't even do half the difference aquiring a great dman would do for us.

Reactions: KnishOfTheCrease

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Even crack won't be enough to come up with that prediction. I can see GMGM push for Stone(as he did before we settled on Patches), but I doubt a trade will happen.

Anyway, I will stand by that aquiring a great forward wouldn't even do half the difference aquiring a great dman would do for us.

Stralman? Stralman won't cost anything.

Is it Stralman? It's Stralman isn't it

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Although I found this thread interesting, please keep in mind that teams throughout the NHL will be having a fire sale as we approach the 20-21 season with Seattles' entry into the league. Teams will need to clear their roster in order not to lose valuable assets for nothing. (The Knights are exempt from the selection process.)

Be smart. Be patient. No more Tatar panics. Keep the powder dry and get ready for some get trades in a couple years.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Teams will also be smarter this time around NOT signing guys to longer deals so they have to make accommodations.

Ideally, a team may want to have about 1/3rd of their contracts expiring in any season. This gives the team more flexibility for short, near and long term goals WRT contract distribution.

For instance, on the Sharks for the VGK expansion draft, both Marleau and Thornton had expiring NMC deals; neither had to be protected. As of today, the Sharks have one goalie, two defensemen and three forwards signed beyond 2021; and they are the guys the team would nominally have on the protected list. (There is one pending UFA contract expiring in 2021. All the other guys in the organization are either signed to ELCs that have yet to start or unsigned so will still be exempt, or have contracts expiring in 2019 or 2020 so their future with the organization is undetermined as of today.)

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Vaughn Karpan and Kelly Kisio are at the Capitals @ Ducks game.
So safe to assume they're scouting Ducks players.

But who on the Ducks are available that would be good additions to the team? Pretty much only Silfverberg(cheaper RW fallback if Stone is a no-go?) unless the Dhcks are willing to trade one of their top 4 defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad