Speculation: What moves could McPhee try, if he is looking to make them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong but if he retires won't his cap recapture go back to Chicago?

We could also LTIR when we need or possibly buy him out without a cap penalty since those usually are available after CBA.

If he doesn't cost big assets, I think they could consider it.
If he retires. He could also keep that cheese coming and refuse to retire.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Senator fans really seem to be clamoring for a piece of Eakinmania. I think a package for Stone might be the route to go (probably 1m cheaper than Panarin)

Roster player (Eakin)
non-big 3 prospect (Elvenes)
another non-big 3 prospect (Leschyshyn)
conditional pick this year based on playoff success (1st or 2nd)
conditional 2020 1st round pick if Stone re-signs
conditional 2020 2nd round pick if Stone re-signs

Haula should be back by April, so it wouldn't be crippling to lose the ginger phenom.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Senator fans really seem to be clamoring for a piece of Eakinmania. I think a package for Stone might be the route to go (probably 1m cheaper than Panarin)

Roster player (Eakin)
non-big 3 prospect (Elvenes)
another non-big 3 prospect (Leschyshyn)
conditional pick this year based on playoff success (1st or 2nd)
conditional 2020 1st round pick if Stone re-signs
conditional 2020 2nd round pick if Stone re-signs

Haula should be back by April, so it wouldn't be crippling to lose the ginger phenom.

That's way too much to pay in conditional picks. The guy is basically a rental, if the team has to pay him market value plus all those picks its a loss. Everyone knows Ottawa isn't signing him, giving them a few prospects and a roster player is more than enough

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
That's way too much to pay in conditional picks. The guy is basically a rental, if the team has to pay him market value plus all those picks its a loss. Everyone knows Ottawa isn't signing him, giving them a few prospects and a roster player is more than enough

You have to out-bid several teams. Magic beans aren't going to cut it.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
You have to out-bid several teams. Magic beans aren't going to cut it.

Well then don't. Let someone else overpay and go get him in free agency if you want him. People wildly overvalue what a player can do for a new team in the playoffs anyways.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Well then don't. Let someone else overpay and go get him in free agency if you want him. People wildly overvalue what a player can do for a new team in the playoffs anyways.

I'd want to get Panarin/Stone at the TDL in order to be able to offer the 8th year on a deal. Bringing down the AAV would be crucial.

Otherwise you're looking at 9.5(or more) for Panarin and around 8.75m for Stone on 7 year deals. And that's with the state tax advantage.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I'd want to get Panarin/Stone at the TDL in order to be able to offer the 8th year on a deal. Bringing down the AAV would be crucial.

Otherwise you're looking at 9.5(or more) for Panarin and around 8.75m for Stone on 7 year deals. And that's with the state tax advantage.

Good point on the extra year. Still just don't like giving up 1st round pick at all, we can't afford to give up any more until we have a more developed system. We do have a lot of assets that probably would be more valuable to the Sens than us, assets that in truth would actually be better sent out of the organization to clear up some slots that are blocking some players and recognizing some of these guys won't be around in the future. Plus if we move Eakin and maybe Clarkson, we'll basically clear enough to pay Stone.

My package for Stone would be mostly clearing out space and include any (or all) of the following:
Eakin
Prospect, maybe two, of their choice (not CG/EB/NH)
4th round pick that becomes 2nd round if we reach conference finals, 1st round if we win Cup
One of the extra 2nd round picks in 2020 if we sign Stone LT (don't think he's a superstar worthy of a 1st here)
Lagace (affordable backup for next year, gets his shot to start after Anderson's done)
Any of our extra forwards if they are interested (including Hyka)
Clarkson (if they don't sign anyone expensive, they will be under the floor)

Package for Panarin is much more difficult because if CBJ sells off him and Bob they have to be looking for prospects because that's basically saying we don't plan on competing right away.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Package for Panarin is much more difficult because if CBJ sells off him and Bob they have to be looking for prospects because that's basically saying we don't plan on competing right away.

I think it would be saying "we don't think we can compete this season," considering that it is quite clear neither is going to sign with CBJ.

Their options are:
Keep them as an own rental and roll the dice (This is what I think they will do if they can't get a 1st or a 2d and decent prospect).
Trade them to a team as a rental for a fair return (See above).
Trade them to a team with an extension agreement in place for a better return.

I honestly don't think we should target Panarin at all unless there is a deal in place. He would help as a rental, but there will be competition for him and I do think he'll draw a first or a second and prospect even without extension. If I'm GMGM, I wouldn't be willing to trade off a good pick and/or prospect for four months of Panarin. Not the least reason is that I don't think Panarin is the difference between VGK and the Stanley Cup this year. He might be someone Calgary should seriously look to rent.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think it would be saying "we don't think we can compete this season," considering that it is quite clear neither is going to sign with CBJ.

Their options are:
Keep them as an own rental and roll the dice (This is what I think they will do if they can't get a 1st or a 2d and decent prospect).
Trade them to a team as a rental for a fair return (See above).
Trade them to a team with an extension agreement in place for a better return.

I honestly don't think we should target Panarin at all unless there is a deal in place. He would help as a rental, but there will be competition for him and I do think he'll draw a first or a second and prospect even without extension. If I'm GMGM, I wouldn't be willing to trade off a good pick and/or prospect for four months of Panarin. Not the least reason is that I don't think Panarin is the difference between VGK and the Stanley Cup this year. He might be someone Calgary should seriously look to rent.

Calgary has way less problems scoring than we do. He would absolutely make a bigger impact here.

You upgrade one of our top six to Panarin and we definitely become contenders. All this high scoring WILL go down in the playoffs and these teams doing well by scoring a lot and letting in more goals are going to have a harder time adjusting than us, who are already doing well defensively.

We need to score more than 1-2 goals per game and Panarin definitely helps there. We are already used to playing low scoring playoff style games, we need the scoring help to win more of those.

CBJ VGK

May 19, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
VGK may as well take a run at Panarin, but don't even think about the "package" deal.....Bob Rovsky is an absolute head-case. He used to just be worthless in the playoffs, now has psyche has eroded in the regular season.

Panarin would add a huge piece to a Cup run, and at this point CBJ would be lucky to get a late-round prospect and a box of Cracker Jax for him. They have ZERO leverage.

Panarin would instantly be the best puck handler on the team, and one of the best skaters. On a line with someone like Tuch or Karlsson they would be VERY hard to defend. Plus, the chances are good he would re-sign in Vegas. His model girlfriend is looking for a place to boost her career. NY, LA, MIA, Vegas all make sense.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
CBJ's greatest leverage is keeping Panarin. They can "rent" him from themselves.

I don't think the leverage is all gone. I don't watch them closely, but if they're in a division or wildcard spot it's likely their best move to just play it out and hope for a run.

CBJ VGK

May 19, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
CBJ's greatest leverage is keeping Panarin. They can "rent" him from themselves.

I don't think the leverage is all gone. I don't watch them closely, but if they're in a division or wildcard spot it's likely their best move to just play it out and hope for a run.
I would agree. However, they have lost 5 straight games (6 after tonight) and have gone from Metro leader to last wildcard team in the playoffs. At this rate they will be out of the playoffs by the trade deadline and looking towards next season. The self rental could be irrelevant soon.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
VGK may as well take a run at Panarin, but don't even think about the "package" deal.....Bob Rovsky is an absolute head-case. He used to just be worthless in the playoffs, now has psyche has eroded in the regular season.

Panarin would add a huge piece to a Cup run, and at this point CBJ would be lucky to get a late-round prospect and a box of Cracker Jax for him. They have ZERO leverage.

Panarin would instantly be the best puck handler on the team, and one of the best skaters. On a line with someone like Tuch or Karlsson they would be VERY hard to defend. Plus, the chances are good he would re-sign in Vegas. His model girlfriend is looking for a place to boost her career. NY, LA, MIA, Vegas all make sense.

Yeah sure a late round prospect only. We wish. He's the most valuable rental piece out there, when have they ever gone for late-round picks only?

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Yeah sure a late round prospect only. We wish. He's the most valuable rental piece out there, when have they ever gone for late-round picks only?

There's always value rentals like Kunitz & Maroon. :naughty:
Considering how many options there are these guys could go for AHL players.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I would agree. However, they have lost 5 straight games (6 after tonight) and have gone from Metro leader to last wildcard team in the playoffs. At this rate they will be out of the playoffs by the trade deadline and looking towards next season. The self rental could be irrelevant soon.

If we're going strictly by trend, Vegas has no point beefing up for the playoffs, either.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Panarin seems like a decent pickup for 9M$, but I have a feeling McPhee isn't ready to go all-in like that.

Personally, if we could get a player like Hedman for that price, it would make much more sense.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I can't see GMGM getting Panarin as a rental.

If Vegas gets Panarin, it's either with an extension agreement in place like it was with Patches, or a UFA signing.

Man if we could bring Gusev over, and sign Panarin.....whoa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad