Speculation: What moves could McPhee try, if he is looking to make them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Panarin has publicly stated he's not going to negotiate a deal in-season.

So any team acquiring him is at risk of losing him as UFA this summer.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Panarin has publicly stated he's not going to negotiate a deal in-season.

So any team acquiring him is at risk of losing him as UFA this summer.

In that case, I think he goes as a UFA. I can't see any team giving CBJ what they would want for him as a rental, with CBJ itself on the doorstep of the playoffs.

CBJ VGK

May 19, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
In that case, I think he goes as a UFA. I can't see any team giving CBJ what they would want for him as a rental, with CBJ itself on the doorstep of the playoffs.
I think that's how it plays out, as well.

Panarin is going to demand a minimum of $11 million per wherever he goes. Reportedly, CBJ offered him an extension of 8 yrs/$88 million over the summer and he balked.

He wants to play in a more "high-profile" city. Vegas would be an attractive market for him, especially with no State income tax, but I see him signing with FLA in the summer so his "model" girlfriend can try to kickstart her career. Tampa is another option, but I don't think TBL can afford him.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
I think that's how it plays out, as well.

Panarin is going to demand a minimum of $11 million per wherever he goes. Reportedly, CBJ offered him an extension of 8 yrs/$88 million over the summer and he balked.

He wants to play in a more "high-profile" city. Vegas would be an attractive market for him, especially with no State income tax, but I see him signing with FLA in the summer so his "model" girlfriend can try to kickstart her career. Tampa is another option, but I don't think TBL can afford him.

NYC is where a model needs to be, unless she wants to model thongs, then South Fla is where it's at.

(Kidding about Florida, I really don't know how the industry goes down there. But since Sydney and Tokyo don't have NHL franchises, NYC is the best place to put her: The Top Five Cities To Become A Model )

Plus, I honestly think both NYI and NYR have better organizations that will give him the greatest chance at team success, between them and the Panthers.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Stone to NYI and Panarama to the Panthers seems to be the most likely destinations.

Panthers are basically tampering without tampering at this point. Bob and the Breadman know the 'speculation' that Florida is gearing up to add them. Gotta respect their sneakiness.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Robert Hagg might be a good add. 24 years old, leads the league in hits for Dmen, blocks a ton of shots. Plus his last name would be really confusing.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Paywall

A few more ideas

He loses me when he mentions Shea as a potential tradeable asset. And really Goldobin? He's been nothing but a waste of on-paper talent since the Sharks picked him. Canucks would probably waive him if they didn't always have at least two forwards hurt.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Interesting on Stone for sure, but imagine the Preds with Panarin and the Jets with Duchene. Thank goodness we're not in the Central.
If the Jets get Duchene, we won't have to worry about them in the playoffs, they'll go on an instant skid.

I'm sure Duchene is a great guy, but negative results seem to follow him around.

Reactions: MordredGK

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Our 1st line seems to have their mojo working... Maybe they are reading the headlines?

Stone would be useful for the 3rd line. :naughty:

I'm down to:
Elvenes
Holden
conditional 2020 1st
conditional 2020 2nd
conditional 2021 1st

Final offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knightmare

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
He loses me when he mentions Shea as a potential tradeable asset. And really Goldobin? He's been nothing but a waste of on-paper talent since the Sharks picked him. Canucks would probably waive him if they didn't always have at least two forwards hurt.

Granger is such a hack. I wouldn't pay to read anything he says. I got into an argument with him last year and I called him out on his lack of hockey experience and he admitted that he was new at the sun and the vgk job was at the bottom of the totem pole as no one thought hockey would be this big so he got the assignment. Granger and sin bin Ken are the two worst writers in town.

I pay for the athletic, but read baseball and college football news for my school.

Imagine a 3rd line next year of Stone-Haula-Gusev

I don't think vgk can afford Stone next season. It looks like they have very little to spend next year while having to sign several other players unless they are ok with letting some of them walk. I think Haula, Wild Bill, Engelland, and Belly have contracts that expire. I'm ok with letting Engelland go, but fans might be really angry if they don't extend him. Belly is another fan favorite that probably shouldn't be paid as Glass can take 3rd line pivot duties and Eakin can drop down to 4th line center since he's still got another year left which makes him expendable.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I don't think vgk can afford Stone next season. It looks like they have very little to spend next year while having to sign several other players unless they are ok with letting some of them walk. I think Haula, Wild Bill, Engelland, and Belly have contracts that expire. I'm ok with letting Engelland go, but fans might be really angry if they don't extend him. Belly is another fan favorite that probably shouldn't be paid as Glass can take 3rd line pivot duties and Eakin can drop down to 4th line center since he's still got another year left which makes him expendable.

Can afford Stone if Eakin is part of the package. I'm also thinking if they trade for Stone they give up the Clarkson contract too as it will help the Sens to the cap floor. Those two contracts are pretty close to Stone's likely AAV in his next deal. The team needs to let a lot of guys go this offseason, I don't think Engelland can take up a spot unless GMGM's plan is to really keep burying young D in the AHL. PEB is a tough one to figure, his last chance to make any money but at 34 next season no one's going to give him much. Maybe VGK gives him one more season at same rate. Lindberg and Carpenter are as good as gone unless they get a vet minimum and win a job in camp. If they get Stone, Pirri might as well go elsewhere and get a 1-way contract. Otherwise could see him getting a deal around what PEB is getting from the Knights.

Excited about the youth joining the team finally, but certainly there will be some growing pains. Will come down to if GMGM lets the refresh of the roster with younger players take place or delays it a year or two. I'm in the school that says just stay in the mix getting to the playoffs and who knows you could go far, but work on building up future generations by not giving away too many picks or prospects. Don't get too into trying to build the perfect team and then only have a few shots at it before you get stuck with a lot of over 30 guys.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
on HNIC Friedman is saying the Senators will let teams know about the availability of their players by Friday.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Can afford Stone if Eakin is part of the package. I'm also thinking if they trade for Stone they give up the Clarkson contract too as it will help the Sens to the cap floor. Those two contracts are pretty close to Stone's likely AAV in his next deal. The team needs to let a lot of guys go this offseason, I don't think Engelland can take up a spot unless GMGM's plan is to really keep burying young D in the AHL. PEB is a tough one to figure, his last chance to make any money but at 34 next season no one's going to give him much. Maybe VGK gives him one more season at same rate. Lindberg and Carpenter are as good as gone unless they get a vet minimum and win a job in camp. If they get Stone, Pirri might as well go elsewhere and get a 1-way contract. Otherwise could see him getting a deal around what PEB is getting from the Knights.

Excited about the youth joining the team finally, but certainly there will be some growing pains. Will come down to if GMGM lets the refresh of the roster with younger players take place or delays it a year or two. I'm in the school that says just stay in the mix getting to the playoffs and who knows you could go far, but work on building up future generations by not giving away too many picks or prospects. Don't get too into trying to build the perfect team and then only have a few shots at it before you get stuck with a lot of over 30 guys.

To get Stone and send Eakin and Clarkson contracts the other way to make the money work, what else are you giving them? I don't think just draft picks will cut it. Brannstrom or Glass and 2 high picks minimum already sounds like too much for me.

The team could use another center that can win faceoffs, but there's already too many centers on the team. Maybe Glass can make the team out of training camp next year and I really hope that he can win faceoffs and be the playmaker that is needed in the lineup. I'd like to see him take Karlsson's spot as Karlsson can win a faceoff to save his life and sucks as a playmaker. The problem is that the line would be even less physical. Some shuffling might have to happen to get better balance. Or maybe Zykov and Haula would be great with Glass? Or Gusev and Haula?

Next season seems like the year that the team should look like for many years. I can't imagine Glass and Brannstrom not making the roster. Too many other 1st rounders from the 2017 are regulars and it's time to start cutting dead weight from the roster even if they are fan favorites.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Thoughts on Carter Rowney, @HanSolo? He might be a good addition/possible replacement for Bellemare. Seems to be a lot more physical than our other Cs.

Hagg is pretty terrible. OK as a 6th/7th defenseman.

Fine by me. They need a better option for 6th/7th defenseman. Might as well get a terrible one with upside and a low cap hit. Can't be any worse than Holden.

Last edited:

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Simmonds is going for a 1st-rounder plus, otherwise the Flyers will just let him walk.
I believe Evander Kane was traded for a conditional 1st last year, so I believe a 1st is the most you can expect. Will they even want to trade him if they keep playing this well? Might as well let him walk for free if you can make the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad