Speculation: What moves could McPhee try, if he is looking to make them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I believe Evander Kane was traded for a conditional 1st last year, so I believe a 1st is the most you can expect. Will they even want to trade him if they keep playing this well? Might as well let him walk for free if you can make the playoffs.

Sharks Acquire Evander Kane from Sabres

More than just a 1st.

Trade summary: Acquired from Buffalo for conditional 2019 1st, 2020 4th, Daniel O'Reagan. (Condition: 1st if Sharks re-sign or win Stanley Cup; slips a year if don't make playoffs; 2nd otherwise. If Sharks keep 2020 4th, becomes 2021 3rd.)

As they have re-signed Kane, it'll be a first. Which year will depend on making playoffs.

More than that, Sabres GM indicated this was the best offer he'd received. Kane was perceived to be a lockerroom cancer. But has flourished in San Jose.

Paywall

Last edited:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Thing with Simmonds is there's a lot of competition for his services --most contenders will be interested. He'd be a great fit in Boston. Nashville and Tampa especially.

Last year, Rick Nash cost a first, a seventh and 3 minor players.

A lot may depend on tonight's game vs. the Pens. If the Flyers win in regulation, they will only be 4 points out of a playoff spot.

I'm a Flyers fan who also roots for Vegas, I'd like to see the teams make a mutually beneficial trade rather than having him go to Boston or Winnipeg.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Sharks Acquire Evander Kane from Sabres

More than just a 1st.

Trade summary: Acquired from Buffalo for conditional 2019 1st, 2020 4th, Daniel O'Reagan. (Condition: 1st if Sharks re-sign or win Stanley Cup; slips a year if don't make playoffs; 2nd otherwise. If Sharks keep 2020 4th, becomes 2021 3rd.)

As they have re-signed Kane, it'll be a first. Which year will depend on making playoffs.

More than that, Sabres GM indicated this was the best offer he'd received. Kane was perceived to be a lockerroom cancer. But has flourished in San Jose.

Paywall

Kane was 26? Simmonds is 30. We wouldn't re-sign him. A few attitude problems is something however four years older is certainly something also.

Additionally, the 1st SJ gave up was not that years 1st, so it is not "worth" as much as a straight up 1st in the next draft is value-wise. And a future 4th holds little value. I don't think it is unfair to point out that there won't be a ton of teams lining up to pay a 1st-plus much more (does O'Regan count as much more? I don'tthink so.) for Simmonds as a rental.

We should certainly steer clear as he isn't a sufficient enough upgrade at forward to change our Cup odds this year to warrant throwing away a 1st plus to obtain. Certainly not a 1st AND Hague, that's ridiculous.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I don't think our first is on the table, so that might change potential moves.

A mix of 2nds and 3rds over the next two seasons might work since we're pretty okay in that regard. It results in the kinds of players we can get from a couple (likely/hopefully) late seconds though.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't think our first is on the table, so that might change potential moves.

A mix of 2nds and 3rds over the next two seasons might work since we're pretty okay in that regard. It results in the kinds of players we can get from a couple (likely/hopefully) late seconds though.

The last month or so haven't really been a confidence booster that this is the team to spend on with rentals. May be better to save the ammo for the next two or three seasons.

Reactions: VegasKnightlife

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The last month or so haven't really been a confidence booster that this is the team to spend on with rentals. May be better to save the ammo for the next two or three seasons.
I think we're way too sensitive a fanbase when it comes to this stuff. While it's true we're not lighting the world on fire so far this season, I really want to see the team without any major injuries (minus Haula) prior to freaking out. Carrier is a more important player than I think most realize, and yet he gets thrown into the minor injuries category with players like Lindberg or Carpenter. He's a solid/huge part of this team, and he's been gone. We can say the first line has stunk a little, and it's true, but we're now back to healthy Smith at the same time the "2nd" line is rolling. Smith and Carrier back at the same time is something I want to see more of prior to making any real decisions.

4th line was great, now it's cold. 1st line was great last season, now it's what they were expected to be, but there's "greatness" in both of them. Let's just stay healthy as we are now for a week or two and then evaluate. It will happen just in time for the deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: VegasKnightlife

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think we're way too sensitive a fanbase when it comes to this stuff. While it's true we're not lighting the world on fire so far this season, I really want to see the team without any major injuries (minus Haula) prior to freaking out. Carrier is a more important player than I think most realize, and yet he gets thrown into the minor injuries category with players like Lindberg or Carpenter. He's a solid/huge part of this team, and he's been gone. We can say the first line has stunk a little, and it's true, but we're now back to healthy Smith at the same time the "2nd" line is rolling. Smith and Carrier back at the same time is something I want to see more of prior to making any real decisions.

4th line was great, now it's cold. 1st line was great last season, now it's what they were expected to be, but there's "greatness" in both of them. Let's just stay healthy as we are now for a week or two and then evaluate. It will happen just in time for the deadline.

But wouldn't that forego the need for any forward rental help?

If our first line gets rolling and the second line is already rolling with a strong fourth line and extra forwards, with Eakin more than solid as a 3C and Pirri, Zykov, Nosek and possibly Haula as third line wingers. It doesn't make sense to add to that in that scenario.

If we're looking at defense, then I think we should look for a more permanent solution than a rental.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
But wouldn't that forego the need for any forward rental help?

If our first line gets rolling and the second line is already rolling with a strong fourth line and extra forwards, with Eakin more than solid as a 3C and Pirri, Zykov, Nosek and possibly Haula as third line wingers. It doesn't make sense to add to that in that scenario.

If we're looking at defense, then I think we should look for a more permanent solution than a rental.
I agree.

If we're healthy and the 1st improves even slightly, I see no reason to try to improve the roster other than finding a defensive player, and I'm fairly sure we've got a few options brewing in Chicago.

I'm not an advocate of making a deadline move this season. Outside of some stupid defensive mistakes, I think we're playing playoff hockey.

Reactions: GKG18

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I agree.

If we're healthy and the 1st improves even slightly, I see no reason to try to improve the roster other than finding a defensive player, and I'm fairly sure we've got a few options brewing in Chicago.

I'm not an advocate of making a deadline move this season. Outside of some stupid defensive mistakes, I think we're playing playoff hockey.

There have been some defensive lapses for sure but I also think Fleury needs to play better. He has been very good but not as good as he needs to be for us to be as successful as our inaugural season.

If we could swing Pietrangelo for Miller and that group of 2nds and 3rds you were talking about that would be ideal but probably unlikely.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
There have been some defensive lapses for sure but I also think Fleury needs to play better. He has been very good but not as good as he needs to be for us to be as successful as our inaugural season.

If we could swing Pietrangelo for Miller and that group of 2nds and 3rds you were talking about that would be ideal but probably unlikely.
Nothing is fixing Fleury other than Fleury playing better unless you’re willing to sell the farm for Bob and Panerin. Then you’ve got Bob, I’d rather play Fleury.

I feel the same way with the first line. We know they can play well, we just need them to do it. It’s not like we’re hoping someone steps up or counting on crap players to play above their level.

“Just play good.” We’ve got the team.

hangman005

Face for Radio, Voice for Silent Movies
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9

Have to agree regarding carrier. IMO we missed what he brings more than what smith did when they were both out.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Rumors are swirling that Florida is working on a package of Huberdeau + to get Breadman and Bobrovski. He's looking less and less likely to be available in the summer.

Picture it:

Gusev Karlsson Stone
Patches Stastny Tuch
Smith Haula Marchessault
Carrier Rowney Reaves
Zykov
Nosek

Theodore Schmidt
McNabb ___
Hague Engelland
Hagg

MAF
Subban

~team comes in around 79m with 3-4m of bonuses (Gusev, Engo & Glass/Brannstrom called up). Might want to offload Clarkson's contract otherwise putting him on LTIR would push all those bonuses to the next season's cap number).

The question is: do you see Miller in that #4 spot?
Follow up question: can you dig it?

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Rumors are swirling that Florida is working on a package of Huberdeau + to get Breadman and Bobrovski. He's looking less and less likely to be available in the summer.

Picture it:

Gusev Karlsson Stone
Patches Stastny Tuch
Smith Haula Marchessault
Carrier Rowney Reaves
Zykov
Nosek

Theodore Schmidt
McNabb ___
Hague Engelland
Hagg

MAF
Subban

~team comes in around 79m with 3-4m of bonuses (Gusev, Engo & Glass/Brannstrom called up). Might want to offload Clarkson's contract otherwise putting him on LTIR would push all those bonuses to the next season's cap number).

The question is: do you see Miller in that #4 spot?
Follow up question: can you dig it?

I think we could get Gusev or Stone, not both but other than that, the team looks solid. I don't see Miller in the spot so I think we should look for the upgrade or try Brannstrom there.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I think we could get Gusev or Stone, not both but other than that, the team looks solid. I don't see Miller in the spot so I think we should look for the upgrade or try Brannstrom there.
Just semantics here, but we don't have to to "get" Gusev. He's ours. If he's ours, he's ours long term. This is a good team in a good place.

If Gusev is a real option, I don't think we needs Stone or anyone else.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Gusev would only be around 850k plus 2m max bonuses on a 1 year ELC. After that, he's a UFA.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Just semantics here, but we don't have to to "get" Gusev. He's ours. If he's ours, he's ours long term. This is a good team in a good place.

If Gusev is a real option, I don't think we needs Stone or anyone else.

Yes, I think the team would be better shoring up defensively and signing Gusev. Don't think we need to spend assets.

I think we have more top six and top nine forwards than we have spots next season if we can get Gusev to sign.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I'd like to trade for a center to take Wild Bills spot as a "top line" center should not as bad as he is on faceoffs. Maybe Glass is the long term answer as he is more of a playmaker which is needed on that line. Karlsson should then be converted to a sniper winger as he's not a playmaker at all and maybe put Tuch on that line as needs a little bit of toughness on it to balance the line. The top line even when they are scoring is still too soft for me. Next year I'd like to see some swapping of linemates and see some better balance in the top 6.

The loss to CBJ shows how important Stastny is to the team. He took a bad penalty then we lose the faceoff and we lose the game. All of our other centers are average or below average at faceoffs. We got murdered in the finals as the deadly Caps power play ate us up alive because we couldn't win faceoffs. We need one more pivot that can win faceoffs. I pray that Glass can do it next season.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I'd like to trade for a center to take Wild Bills spot as a "top line" center should not as bad as he is on faceoffs. Maybe Glass is the long term answer as he is more of a playmaker which is needed on that line. Karlsson should then be converted to a sniper winger as he's not a playmaker at all and maybe put Tuch on that line as needs a little bit of toughness on it to balance the line. The top line even when they are scoring is still too soft for me. Next year I'd like to see some swapping of linemates and see some better balance in the top 6.

The loss to CBJ shows how important Stastny is to the team. He took a bad penalty then we lose the faceoff and we lose the game. All of our other centers are average or below average at faceoffs. We got murdered in the finals as the deadly Caps power play ate us up alive because we couldn't win faceoffs. We need one more pivot that can win faceoffs. I pray that Glass can do it next season.

46% is not bad on faceoffs. You said it yourself, VGK has Stastny, who is great on the draw. Bellemare is 53% this year and Eakin and Haula are historically very good as well.

If there's one thing this team has it's great depth at center and good faceoff guys.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Stralman would be perfect on the 2nd pairing with Brannstrom or Hague, and Miller and McNabb as the bottom pair.

If he would only take a 3 year deal though...

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com

I agree with this. There's really no room for another forward, and I think McPhee might still be a little gunshy after the Tatar trade from last TDL.

If we're looking for a rental d-man, the options are slim because most of them are on playoff teams who might not want to move them. I wouldn't be opposed to adding a RHD for the bottom pair: if we want offense, go with Chris Wideman; if we want defense, go with Ben Lovejoy. Neither one would cost much in trade.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Stralman would be perfect on the 2nd pairing with Brannstrom or Hague, and Miller and McNabb as the bottom pair.

If he would only take a 3 year deal though...

Isn't he going to be 33 next season? He should consider a 3 year deal a gift.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Isn't he going to be 33 next season? He should consider a 3 year deal a gift.

A 3 year deal isn't very attractive from his standpoint. That takes him to 35+ status. A few teams might offer him 5 or maybe even 6 year deals.

I'd do 4 years at 6m if that's what it takes. Tampa will probably offer him 2-3 years at 5m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->