Speculation: What moves are Tampa going to make?

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Just for fun...............

Let's have a auction of RFA's..........................Offer sheets available on the following
As a Canuck Fan, we would have to be very careful on who we would go after..........
We could probably offer Cernak 3 years @ 3.5 Million , and would have to pass on the rest

1. Barzal
2. Pullock
3. Sergachev
4. Cirelli
5. Cernak

PS.....IMO, it is only the Islanders and Tampa that would have any difficulty in matching the offer sheets.
But I do believe they would....but what would your team pay?

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Didn't find a general Tampa thread in the last 6-7 pages so thought I'd make a new one.

We're 2 weeks into free agency and Tampa still haven't made a move, despite clearly being the team most obviously in need of making a trade or two.

The market seems to have dried up quite a bit with over 90% of capspace league-wide already spent, and the longer they wait the less capspace will be available as more and more free agents get signed.

So what's Tampa's move here?

Keep passing the Cup around is the best move

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
As much as I want Sergachev , he is probably the last player of them all that they would be willing to lose , so I cannot see it happening . They would probably rather take a bath on giving up assets to move other players than lose Sergachev.
Anyways , this is frustrating as a fan waiting to see what happens .
Hopefully something happens soon .
What are the possible hold ups? Potential arbitration hearings and other teams finalizing their signings before they know exactly where they stand before they can evaluate what , if anything , their options and needs are ?
Is Tampa and other cap strapped teams waiting it out until hopefully their RFA’s demands lower or ???
I don’t get it . Maybe Tampa hopes everyone will just forget about their cap issues and nobody notices and they can start the season as is .......
Hurry up and do something already lol.
The RFAs could take a while, looking at past Tampa RFAs Point signed in late September and Kucherov in October. It’s not unusual for big RFAs without arbitration rights to not get signed by camp.

You’re right that it would seem to make the most sense for Tampa to make the cap space deals sooner than later since cap space will only continue to disappear league wide.

Maybe the sweeteners teams are asking for are so steep that BriseBois is waiting until he’s sure a 2020-21 NHL season is actually happening before he spends major assets to move those contracts. Lou felt he had to trade Toews because he filed for arbitration but Tampa doesn’t have any deadline other than the season opener.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
While I don't think Tampa is looking at needing to blow up the core, the waiver wire move shows they definitely need to move cap and its proving so far to not be easy to do.

Johnson will cost something to move and I'm not sold based on this environment that Killorn wouldn't require a little something to move as well.

What that is who knows, but based on what we've heard so far it's going to take something pretty decent to move Johnson. GM's can afford to wait right now and they know the cap situation across the league is not going to get better with the number of UFA's out there.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
If you take the players tampa is rumored to be looking to move (Killorn/Palat/Gourde/Johnson) and take the lowest cap hit of said player 4.45 then as of today 14 teams have the cap space to pick up Killorn. Thats not factoring in other teams rosters, if they have room, what their internal budget is, what their contracts are at etc

Going to be interesting to see what moves are made

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
I'm just going to assume that what happened with all the old Devils and Hawks cap "problems" will happen here. All the problems will just magically disappear without consequence.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I'm just going to assume that what happened with all the old Devils and Hawks cap "problems" will happen here. All the problems will just magically disappear without consequence.

Hawks had to attached Teravainen to move Bickell’s contract. Went on the become a really good top six player.

Also had to eventually move on from good depth players like Sharp, Buff, Oduya for cap reasons

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
As long as Tampa keeps the core (Kucherov, Point, Hedman, Sergachev, Vasy) we will still be serious Cup contenders. Of those, Hedman is the oldest at 30.

Reactions: Peacefool

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Devils had to fork over a first rounder to dump Vladimir Malakhov's cap hit.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
Kinda surprised Killorn isn’t gone for mid round picks yet

While I don't think Tampa is looking at needing to blow up the core, the waiver wire move shows they definitely need to move cap and its proving so far to not be easy to do.

Johnson will cost something to move and I'm not sold based on this environment that Killorn wouldn't require a little something to move as well.

What that is who knows, but based on what we've heard so far it's going to take something pretty decent to move Johnson. GM's can afford to wait right now and they know the cap situation across the league is not going to get better with the number of UFA's out there.

If you take the players tampa is rumored to be looking to move (Killorn/Palat/Gourde/Johnson) and take the lowest cap hit of said player 4.45 then as of today 14 teams have the cap space to pick up Killorn. Thats not factoring in other teams rosters, if they have room, what their internal budget is, what their contracts are at etc

Going to be interesting to see what moves are made

Of those 14 teams, many don't really have space given the RFAs they need to sign (e.g., NYI and Barzal). So the real number is below that. And of those teams, many have no use for a veteran player like Killorn with a bloated contract with term (LA, Detroit, Ottawa). And the teams that do need a verteran forward, there's lots to choose from.

I don't see TB getting rid of Killorn (or their other big contracts) without a significant add. The teams that have cap space realize how valuable it is.

horner

May 22, 2007
Of those 14 teams, many don't really have space given the RFAs they need to sign (e.g., NYI and Barzal). So the real number is below that. And of those teams, many have no use for a veteran player like Killorn with a bloated contract with term (LA, Detroit, Ottawa). And the teams that do need a verteran forward, there's lots to choose from.

I don't see TB getting rid of Killorn (or their other big contracts) without a significant add. The teams that have cap space realize how valuable it is.
It's not just the cap hit it is the # of yr.s left on the contract.

Palat 2 @ 5.3 mil 50 pts
Gourde 5 @ 5.166 40 pts
Johnson 4 @ 5.0 mil 50 pts
Killorn 3 @ 4.45 mil 50 pts

I wouldn't touch one of these contract in today's market without a huge add.
Alot of teams will have there own young players to sign in the next 2 yrs.

If they are going to sign all there rfas , they will have to trade 3 of those contracts to break even.
3 1st rd pks minimum
The bottom teams with cap space have there own internal cap for the next 2 yrs.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As long as Tampa keeps the core (Kucherov, Point, Hedman, Sergachev, Vasy) we will still be serious Cup contenders. Of those, Hedman is the oldest at 30.

Pretty much this. I wouldn't even include Sergachev, although we obviously need to keep him. But that's more for the future. We would be serious cup contenders for the next couple of years even without him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Palat 2 @ 5.3 mil 50 pts
Gourde 5 @ 5.166 40 pts

If they are going to sign all there rfas , they will have to trade 3 of those contracts to break even.
3 1st rd pks minimum

One of the guys on that list is, currently, better than any of our RFAs.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Think JBB is playing the waiting game after waiving TJ. Probably believes some GM will get desperate.

No team is going to be desperate to help a team with their cap troubles. TB is the only one that would maybe be desperate in this scenario.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Hawks had to attached Teravainen to move Bickell’s contract. Went on the become a really good top six player.

Also had to eventually move on from good depth players like Sharp, Buff, Oduya for cap reasons

Devils had to fork over a first rounder to dump Vladimir Malakhov's cap hit.

Ya, the Hawks had to move some very good players like Byfuglien due to cap after their Cup win in 2010. Versteeg was another. I'm sure Hawks would have loved to keep Byfuglien as defenders of that quality and ilk aren't easy to find.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Ya, the Hawks had to move some very good players like Byfuglien due to cap after their Cup win in 2010. Versteeg was another. I'm sure Hawks would have loved to keep Byfuglien as defenders of that quality and ilk aren't easy to find.

I remember being at the 2011 Draft when they moved Brian Campbell for Rostislav Olesz which was definitely a salary dump as well. Perhaps not coincidentally, Dale Tallon signed Campbell to that contract in Chicago and he then got Campbell when he moved onto become Florida's GM.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019

Palat 2 @ 5.3 mil 50 pts
Gourde 5 @ 5.166 40 pts

3 1st rd pks minimum
Any team that would rather sign Hoffman than trade for Palat/Killorn is a fool.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Salty thread. Congrats to Tampa fans.

As a Leaf fan I am no stranger to people wishing the worst for my team, they usually come up as desperate.

It is a tough climate and moving slow has it's downside but any team as asset rich as Tampa can squirm out of it.

There will be unpleasant costs but I don't lose much sleep over the first we paid to move Marleau and we are far from Cup champs. I'm sure Tampa fans will manage.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Kinda surprised Killorn isn’t gone for mid round picks yet
This is the shock to me. His name isn't even mentioned in rumors. Its been Johnson or Stamkos in the rumor mill.

While fans on here would rather talk gloom and doom of situation, I wonder if TBL has decided not to move Killorn based on his leadership and improvement this year.

Mar 20, 2010
This is the shock to me. His name isn't even mentioned in rumors. Its been Johnson or Stamkos in the rumor mill.

While fans on here would rather talk gloom and doom of situation, I wonder if TBL has decided not to move Killorn based on his leadership and improvement this year.

It was reported that JBB doesn't want to move Killorn because of his leadership qualities. At the time, it was also reported that Gourde had not yet been approached about waiving.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
The only asset, besides the RFAs, that TB can move is Stamkos. No one is going to take Johnson or Gourde. Especially not now.

HowSweeeedeItIs

Jan 19, 2014
San Francisco

Palat 2 @ 5.3 mil 50 pts
Gourde 5 @ 5.166 40 pts

3 1st rd pks minimum

Palat played on the first line on the Stanley Cup winning team and was completely dominating in the Boston series. Clearly a terrible player.

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa

Palat 2 @ 5.3 mil 50 pts
Gourde 5 @ 5.166 40 pts

3 1st rd pks minimum
Lol, every team in the league would love Palat 2 years @5.3 unless they are legitimately trying to tank. He’s a great first liner on the best team in the league. If you’re looking at his point values you’re doing it wrong. He’s a great two way player, wins every board battle, always makes the right play, and has the IQ to compliment the high skilled guys on his line. And on top of that he just scored 11 goals in the playoffs.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Lol, every team in the league would love Palat 2 years @5.3 unless they are legitimately trying to tank. He’s a great first liner on the best team in the league. If you’re looking at his point values you’re doing it wrong. He’s a great two way player, wins every board battle, always makes the right play, and has the IQ to compliment the high skilled guys on his line. And on top of that he just scored 11 goals in the playoffs.
Palat owns a full ntc for the upcoming season. Best teams have spent their cap space so the only ones left are the weaker teams. Are these guys willing to waive to go to the bottom teams. Then the next question is whether the bottom teams want to spend money during Covid if they are not expected to make the playoffs?

it isn’t that TB gets to do whatever they want. There are going to be restrictions from the player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad