What is your worst moment as a Leafs fan?

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
Worst moment as a Leaf's fan is a tough one. 30yrs a fan opens the door to many possibilities, but I can narrow it down to 2:

1) Trading the 1st round pick in 1991 for Tom Kurvers. The fact that it turned out to be Scott Niedermayer brought a tear to my eye.

2) 1993 Kings vs Leafs! I'm still convinced t this day that the Leafs could have beaten the Habs for the cup. It would have been a good final!

RaskY

GLG
Dec 26, 2011
2013 Playoffs, Round 1, Game 7 in Boston.

There's a game I'll always remember, as much as I wish I could forget.

That game was the first time that I experienced something like that. I'm just 19, and though I've been a fan ever since I was young, I was too young to really have any concrete memories of how I felt when the Leafs made the playoffs in the pre-lockout years. And 2013 was the first year they'd made the trip back after a long nine year wait. It was really the first Leaf playoff experience I've had.

I remember I was sitting on the carpet, 3 feet away from the TV with my dad sitting behind me on the couch. When Kadri scored the goal to make it 4-1, with 15 minutes to go in the game, man, I've never up until that moment or since that moment screamed louder than I have for a goal. I remember thinking to myself "This is it. This is really happening. They're gonna beat Boston." Boston, of all teams! They were the team that the Leafs had been humiliated by for years. The embarrassing losses during the regular season, the constant jokes about Kessel and how he was traded for Tyler Seguin. Boston, the favorites in the East. The team that whenever their name came up in the calender, it usually meant a humiliating loss. Leafs were the big underdogs, and they were beating them by three goals in their own building with the season on the line. 15 minutes away. I don't think I've ever been more proud of the Leafs than at that moment when Kadri scored. "Did the Leafs just beat Boston?" I kept thinking in my head. It was hard to believe. I remember checking the score of the one other game that was happening at the same time between the Rangers and the Capitals, who were also in a game 7, and seeing that New York was up 5-0. I was already imagining the 2nd round between Toronto and New York.

And then Nathan Horton scored about half-way through the 3rd period to cut the Leafs lead to two goals. I remember my dad said "Now here it comes. They always do this." And I couldn't help but feel he was right. Still, when some more time on the clock ticked off and it hit the two minute mark and the Leafs were still defending their two goal lead, I felt good. There were just two minutes left and Boston had to score two goals. Not one, but two. I've watched enough hockey to know that while those kind of comebacks have happened, with that little time left the odds were in the Leafs favor. But of course we know what happened next.

Bergeron scoring the tying goal with under a minute left...under a minute left in the whole season, was truly a sickening feeling. They blew it. The game was in their hands and by god they let it slip away through their fingers. It was no longer in their control. I didn't say a word. Just kept staring at the TV in quiet disbelief. 4-4.

And well, when Bergeron scored in over-time, it was really mind-boggling. This was a real loss. They had the win in their sight and they lost it. They lost control, they lost their composure, they lost the game, the series, and the season in a half hour. I couldn't believe it. It happened, I saw it happen, and I knew it was real but I couldn't believe it.

That was it. That's the worst moment. Although it's just a game and it didn't send me into a depression or anything like that haha, in the moment it doesn't matter. In that moment it hurt. The emotions are real.

Last edited:

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Reading this thread makes me realize that the leafs have the best fans in the league. What other team has dealt with anything remotely as bad as some of the things in this thread?

Any other city in the world and this joke of a franchise would've been relocated by now.

TheVision

Sep 18, 2011
Reading this thread makes me realize that the leafs have the best fans in the league. What other team has dealt with anything remotely as bad as some of the things in this thread?

Any other city in the world and this joke of a franchise would've been relocated by now.

LOL...Best Fans? Or are we just the biggest gluttons for punishment. We'd have to ask some Cubs fans I suppose.

enixer

Mar 26, 2011
For me, it's Pat Quinn's firing in 2003 as GM and John Ferguson, Jr.'s hiring. Quinn had taken the team to the Conference Finals in 1999 and 2002, and past Ottawa three years in a row. Ferguson's hiring would be the start of five years of serious meddling in the team by corporate management people hidden in boardrooms with no hockey backgrounds and no accountability.

Gramsci

Jul 31, 2003
Toronto
The day Larry Tanenbaum took over from Steve Stavros as the owner calling the shots. He promoted Richard Peddie, who then pushed Quinn out of the GM chair, hired JFJ to replace Quinn and then fired Quinn as coach.

Make no mistake, this is the Larry Tanenbaum Era and it's beginning to rival the Ballard Era.

enixer

Mar 26, 2011
Exactly...
I can handle rough stretches but the worst times for me have been when it felt like there wasn't anyone competent running things.

Pat Burns' firing felt similar... the end of a great stretch of things and into a long period with no direction.

Not everyone may have liked the decisions of Quinn and Burke, and Nonis may be looking bad these days, but these people were / are geniuses compared to Ballard, Peddie, anonymous Teachers Pension - Rogers - Bell executives.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Every single day that I come on here and read something stupid.

It's a sickening addiction. I can't stop but it makes me hate this world so damn much.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Every single day that I come on here and read something stupid.

It's a sickening addiction. I can't stop but it makes me hate this world so damn much.

Change "something" to "many, many, many things" and I'd agree.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Worst moment(s).

Harold Ballard or Brian Burke.

Too close to call to pick just one as the worst.

Last edited:

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I don't call them "worst moments", they're more like: "here we go again moments."

I remember two in particular.

Driving in my car and hearing the Leafs traded Rask for Raycroft. I remember almost driving into the harbour. Many people probably forget or were too young, but when Ferguson was hired the organization tried to sell him as one of coming wave of young executives soon to be taking over the game and an expert talent evaluator that would rebuild the team through the draft.

When I heard about that trade I knew that was all PR BS and ownership/upper management had told Ferguson to get the team back to the playoffs ASAP - in other words, more short-term quick fixes.

The second was Brian Burke's first press conference.

This felt like the moment that the franchise was truly going to change. A real GM. A mover and a shaker in the hockey world. A guy with a track record. I felt like if anybody was going to have free reign to do what he wanted it was Burke. And he said he had no patience for a long-rebuild and he was going to "accelerate" things (this was just seconds after he said one of his priorities was strong financial returns, as if the GM of the team needed to worry about that). I can remember watching that like it was yesterday and feeling like all the air was being let out of my balloon. Rather than an organic rebuilding process it was going to be another quick-fix attempt, albeit a different kind of quick-fix, but one nonetheless.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
A team that always finished 9cth and never able to be bad enough to have a top pick. Except for the year they had traded their pick

That pretty much sums up the past decade

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Game 7. There is no better microcosm for the Maple Leafs....raise the hopes so high, and then dash them so hard.

Although Dougie's return was very traumatizing as well.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
A team that always finished 9cth and never able to be bad enough to have a top pick. Except for the year they had traded their pick

That pretty much sums up the past decade

I don't even know how to describe that season. It was like getting six months notice for a funeral.

Didn't they make the Kessel trade and then start the season 0-9-1? If I'm not mistaken Kessel was in a contract dispute and there was really no urgency for the Leafs to make the trade. They could have waited and seen what they had. Hope that Boston got a little desperate.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Game 7. There is no better microcosm for the Maple Leafs....raise the hopes so high, and then dash them so hard.

Although Dougie's return was very traumatizing as well.

Forgot about that one. We are without a doubt the "Charlie Browns" of the NHL.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Having the Leafs miss the playoffs the first season I seriously started following them because New Jersey wanted to rest Brodeur in their last game.

Not the most heartbreaking moment but it really set the tone for the next decade nicely.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
To me its Game 7 vs the Bruins in 2013!

We had the lead and had played well all game, and were within mere minutes of eliminating the Bruins from the playoffs BUT then we got cocky and didnt take the Bruines seriously the rest of the way, there maturity and will to win got them back in the game and knocked out out.

Those final 7 minutes were the most pathetic display of immaturityI have ever seen from ANY team, they were completley unproffessional out there. They had a 4-1 lead, all they had to do was keep skating and get the puck up ice, they didn't have any problem prior to it being 4-1 but as soon as they got to that score they mailed it in.

Nothing to me comes close and I have watched a ton of Leafs games since 1993.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
2003 conference final vs Carolina. Game 6, Mogilny, who had been fantastic in the playoffs, gave it away in overtime and the Canes win - the game that Sundin tied things up with seconds left.

There was something magical about that team - it felt like a team of destiny. With all the injuries they went through, and still went to the conference final.

There was a feel that that team was good enough to win the cup. The Sundin equalizer had an element of destiny about it.

Just heartbreaking.

People talk about the Boston game 7 as bad. Sure. In my opinion losing to the Canes the way we did was 1000 x more heartbreaking.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
The day Larry Tanenbaum took over from Steve Stavros as the owner calling the shots. He promoted Richard Peddie, who then pushed Quinn out of the GM chair, hired JFJ to replace Quinn and then fired Quinn as coach.

Make no mistake, this is the Larry Tanenbaum Era and it's beginning to rival the Ballard Era.

^^ This. Of course when Conn Smythe sold his ownership shares to his son Stafford Smythe along with Ballard and company. Both the Ballard and Tanenbaum eras are some of the worst Leafs fans had to put up with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad