What is your worst moment as a Leafs fan?

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Mine was May 1993, when Gretzky highsticked Gilmour and no penalty was called, and minutes later Gretzky scored the ot winner when he should have been in the penalty box and the Leafs on the power play. That year the Leafs were all having career years and most likely would have won the cup. The best team that year was Pittsburgh, but with Lemieux out with cancer, it made it easier to make it to he finals. I think what made this so bad is because they didn't lose from bad play, but bad officiating, that's why in 94 they went as far as 93, but it didn't hurt as much because they lost it because of them, not the officials.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Worst moment-----Today

On Leafs lunch they reported that Stamkos said he has every intention signing a long term extension with Tampa.

When will a Canadian team get their Parise/Suter?

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I haven't been around as long as some of you so currently it's Boston Game 7.

that was pretty disappointing too, but no where near the disappointment of 93, because the Boston game was only the first round, in 93 it was the 3rd round and the game wasn't lost by the players. The bad part about the Boston collapse was the Leafs didn't take advantage of the refs putting their whistles away. Boston was grabbing, holding and nothing was called, the Leafs should have done the same and they probably would have killed the clock and won that game, but it was still the players that year, it wasn't in 93.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Mine was May 1993, when Gretzky highsticked Gilmour and no penalty was called, and minutes later Gretzky scored the ot winner when he should have been in the penalty box and the Leafs on the power play. That year the Leafs were all having career years and most likely would have won the cup. The best team that year was Pittsburgh, but with Lemieux out with cancer, it made it easier to make it to he finals. I think what made this so bad is because they didn't lose from bad play, but bad officiating, that's why in 94 they went as far as 93, but it didn't hurt as much because they lost it because of them, not the officials.

That was pretty bad and so blatant.
Leafs got really screwed by Fraser.
But the league really preferred LA in the SC finals:sarcasm:

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
When Hossa's stick blinded Berard - I thought we were on our way that year and that injury set the Leafs way back - not to mention what it did to Berard.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
No idea.

I'm sure it is yet to come.

Losing 1-0 against the Habs in the 71-72 season was bad. Face-off in the Leafs zone with about 3 seconds to go. In Montreal, trying to remember, I think Peter Mahovlch won the draw. Bill said, "At least we got a point before the face-off and I said not yet." He was so peeved at me ... :laugh:

Losing to the Flyers in the playoffs in the late 70's.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/playoffdisplay.php?league=nhl1927&season=1977&leaguenm=NHL

Trading Frank, Lanny, Vinnie.

Salary Cap obviously.

Expectations today are so low I'm not sure they disappoint anymore. Disappointment comes when expectations are high.

If they don't make dramatic changes that might qualify.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I think what made this so bad is because they didn't lose from bad play, but bad officiating, that's why in 94 they went as far as 93, but it didn't hurt as much because they lost it because of them, not the officials.

Do you even remember there was a game seven after that game back in Toronto and the Leafs weren't very good? Officiating had absolutely nothing to do with their game seven loss on home ice.

driver3000

Dec 17, 2011
Niagara
Off the top of my head... Gretz high stick, when the Isles won that shootout against Jersey that eliminated the Leafs, and the Boston meltdown of course.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Am I generalizing too strongly by suggesting that those picking Boston game 7 are young fans?

Boston was shocking, but nowhere near as crushing or heartbreaking as 93 or Canes 2002.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Am I generalizing too strongly by suggesting that those picking Boston game 7 are young fans?

Boston was shocking, but nowhere near as crushing or heartbreaking as 93 or Canes 2002.

Surprised more people haven't mentioned the loss to Buffalo in the final four in 1999 (the first year of Quinn and Curtis Joseph). Hasek missed the first two games. The Leafs were healthy and rolling and were terrible in the series and lost it in five games. I would rank it as equally as disappointing as the loss to Carolina.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Surprised more people haven't mentioned the loss to Buffalo in the final four in 1999 (the first year of Quinn and Curtis Joseph). Hasek missed the first two games. The Leafs were healthy and rolling and were terrible in the series and lost it in five games. I would rank it as equally as disappointing as the loss to Carolina.

Although that wasn't as bad as 2002, you're right on this one. Sundin was really the only player showed up in that series.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Although that wasn't as bad as 2002, you're right on this one. Sundin was really the only player showed up in that series.

I rank it worse.

Against Carolina the Leafs had trouble scoring and, I think, lost three games in OT. With a couple of bounces they could have easily went to the Finals.

Against Buffalo they were awful.

But I can see how the Carolina series could be more painful for fans. Sometimes being that close and having it slip away is harder to take than getting blown out.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Yeah I considered that, but the Leafs were never really in that series - they lost game 1 and it all felt up-hill from there. They didn't play that well at all.

The Carolina series on the other hand, was a hard fought, close series. Each game was a 1-goal game, and the Leafs were downright unlucky to be down in that series - played well in all games, some tough bounces, OT losses, etc. could easily have gone to the cup final that year.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Do you even remember there was a game seven after that game back in Toronto and the Leafs weren't very good? Officiating had absolutely nothing to do with their game seven loss on home ice.

the game 6 loss killed any momentum and took the wind out of the sails for the leafs, their heads weren't in the game because of the crap from game 6, game 7 shouldn't have been needed and LA had a huge advantage because of this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad