What is your worst moment as a Leafs fan?

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Worst trade of all someone said, a battleship for 2 dingys (Lanny for Hickey and Paiment).Butler and Tigger for Vaive and Derlago wasn't bad though.
Derlago was a very under-rated Leaf. Really good player on a very bad team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Worst trade of all someone said, a battleship for 2 dingys (Lanny for Hickey and Paiment).Butler and Tigger for Vaive and Derlago wasn't bad though.

Imlach really ripped apart a very close Leafs team that was just missing a few pieces. Once Mcdonald was dealt, he lost Sittler. Team was never the same after that.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Here's one that is underrated.

Leafs never had a better 2nd pairing than Berg and Lumme. Had we, we would have made it to the finals under Quinn.

40BayStreet

Feb 3, 2011
Toronto
To be really honest, right now is the most depressing time I have ever had being a Leafs fan.... I have been a huge fan since a child with my horrible Wendel Clark haircut (child abuse) and my school pictures with my leafs jersey on in kindergarten. Crying when the leafs lost to the Kings so much my dad had to go out and by me another Gilmour jersey so I could fall asleep. Hating Gretzky and Melrose with a Passion after that series. But even those experiences and ones like the Roenick goal goal to knock us out or losing Carolina (really? We should've won the cup that year) here was hope for next year. Even the past 10 years there was hope (albeit very misguided hope) that we were getting on the right track and possibly putting some pieces in place to be a contender. But this season has been brutal, I've never had less desire to watch the games than I do this season. I have no hope for the future with this core. This core is rotten and this team needs to eventually be completely gutted and rebuilt from scratch. The fans need to have something to look forward to, something to pin there hopes on, right or wrong, and that needs to obtained through a proper rebuild. I would be completely fine sucking for 4 or 5 years if it means drafting near the top and getting top prospects. Ones that could be built around. I would enthusiastically watch the games just to watch the team and young guys develop. But this year even with Rielly (who I think will be great) there is just no passion by these players or for these players.

Horrible time to be a Leafs fan, definitely the worst experience I have ever had cheering for the blue and white.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
To be really honest, right now is the most depressing time I have ever had being a Leafs fan.... I have been a huge fan since a child with my horrible Wendel Clark haircut (child abuse) and my school pictures with my leafs jersey on in kindergarten. Crying when the leafs lost to the Kings so much my dad had to go out and by me another Gilmour jersey so I could fall asleep. Hating Gretzky and Melrose with a Passion after that series. But even those experiences and ones like the Roenick goal goal to knock us out or losing Carolina (really? We should've won the cup that year) here was hope for next year. Even the past 10 years there was hope (albeit very misguided hope) that we were getting on the right track and possibly putting some pieces in place to be a contender. But this season has been brutal, I've never had less desire to watch the games than I do this season. I have no hope for the future with this core. This core is rotten and this team needs to eventually be completely gutted and rebuilt from scratch. The fans need to have something to look forward to, something to pin there hopes on, right or wrong, and that needs to obtained through a proper rebuild. I would be completely fine sucking for 4 or 5 years if it means drafting near the top and getting top prospects. Ones that could be built around. I would enthusiastically watch the games just to watch the team and young guys develop. But this year even with Rielly (who I think will be great) there is just no passion by these players or for these players.

Horrible time to be a Leafs fan, definitely the worst experience I have ever had cheering for the blue and white.

Well it was nice knowing ya while it lasted. I wish you luck with another team.

40BayStreet

Feb 3, 2011
Toronto
Well it was nice knowing ya while it lasted. I wish you luck with another team.

Who said anything about becoming a fan of another team? I will die cheering for this team even if they never make the playoffs again and trade away every first round pick they ever get. How do you just all of a sudden change allegiances. Anyone who could do that or think about doing that is definitely not a real fan. I've been a Detroit Lions fan for 15 years, did I stop rocking my Harrington jersey when they went 0 - 16? No way. I will always be a Leaf fan, nothing will ever change that.

You should've read the post before responding like that. All I was doing was venting.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
The worst moment for me was last night during the Marlie game when a Leaf fan threw a jersey on the ice. First time I truly felt embarrassed to be a fan.

40BayStreet

Feb 3, 2011
Toronto
The worst moment for me was last night during the Marlie game when a Leaf fan threw a jersey on the ice. First time I truly felt embarrassed to be a fan.

Yeah that was pretty embarrassing to say the least. What a way to encourage the prospects and Nylander to work hard, and stay with the organization. So one day you can make the Leafs and this will happen to you on the regular.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I don't remember any as dismal before or since.

Do you mean trades? Or management groups? Obvious that management group was awful, maybe the worst in team history. Although I think guys like Gerry McNamara and Floyd Smith were way worse as GMs than Stellick.

Courtnall was a solid player, but I don't think that trade was the worst in Leafs recent history.

I firmly believe Andrew Raycroft for Tukka Rask will go down as the worst player-for-player trade in Leafs history.

If Rask continues on his current career path he will be a potential Hall-of-Famer.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Do you mean trades? Or management groups? Obvious that management group was awful, maybe the worst in team history. Although I think guys like Gerry McNamara and Floyd Smith were way worse as GMs than Stellick.

Courtnall was a solid player, but I don't think that trade was the worst in Leafs recent history.

I firmly believe Andrew Raycroft for Tukka Rask will go down as the worst player-for-player trade in Leafs history.

If Rask continues on his current career path he will be a potential Hall-of-Famer.

The Courtnall for Kordic trade was far worse than the Raycroft for Rask. Courtnall went on to be one of their best players and Kordic was dead before playing a full season with the Leafs. Rask is a good goalie and may win the odd Vezina, but I'd be surprised if he makes the Hall of fame.

RonTextall

Dec 16, 2007
Ottawa
1. Game 7 @ Bruins.

2. Roenick. I felt in my soul that the Leafs would come back to win that game. Then Sundin scored 2 to tie it.

3. Being at the ACC in 1999 when Buffalo eliminated us.

4. Gretzky's goal.

5. Trading Clark.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Game 7 vs boston..

And Roenick goal.. I was only about 8 at the time.. Experienced my first heart break..

Last edited:

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Normally I'd say the six shot game against the Devils. That one hurt.
Close behind is 1993.
Then 1999, then 2002.

But all of that has been trumped by this current situation. This entire franchise and it's media and fans have become a complete gong show.
It's disgusting.

orbiter11

Sep 11, 2014
To be honest my worst moment was half and half when Burke was fired prematurely and finally when Nonis put his stamp on this team. Say what you will about Burke you new what you were getting with him. He fast tracked our rebuild yes, but you new he made good trades for the orginazation and wasnt going to give out bad contracts even when people here wanted him to. I held my breath when Nonis first was hired because he didnt make many changes to Burkes lineup and we got into the playoffs. But when he used the buyouts and then gave the farm for Clarkson and Bolland i new it didnt make sense and that he didnt no what he was doing,he then lets Komarov walk for nothing???? I thought he would be our first signing. So I guess in a nutshell the Nonis hiring was the worst leaf moment for me and this is going back 2 yrs. Hes not a GM hes like Horacheck hes a filler as long as hes not givin to much authority.

GreekLeafer

Dec 6, 2010
Ottawa
Dubie!!!!! Another epic moment haha.

Roenick's goal was heart wrenching.

Today is more a complete spit in the face to all 25,000 of us in maple leaf square, and the million supporting around the world.. That's why it's so tough.. I mean, You are going to extend the guy who was at the helm of the SPORTING WORLD'S most epic collapse?????? **** Carlyle.

Easy sailor. It wasn't the biggest sporting collapse ever. There aren't hundreds of millions watching the collapse ie. Bayern Munich vs. Manchester United, 1999 Champion's League Final.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
cry-3.jpg

Just too many to remember.

I think of the good times like Mike Palmateer !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_RsuT8ZmsQ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad