What is your worst moment as a Leafs fan?

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Really? I thought the 2012 collapse was a lot more predictable. It happened in february and over a larger span of games. Since the Leafs had missed the playoffs every year since 2004, I wasn't surprised they missed it in 2012. They weren't that good, especially with Reimer out most of the season and us needing to rely on Gustavsson most of the year.

This season we had home ice advantage with merely 15 games left in the regular season. I remember thinking we only needed to go 6-9-0 to make the playoffs... We ended 2-13-0.

That sort of collapse is almost fairytale like. Never have I experienced this before.

Yet our coach gets a 2 year extension. I don't care if the players need to be held accountable a coach shouldn't keep his job after that. 2-13-0.....wow just epic failure. Man this franchise is in shambles it really is. We make the playoffs for the first time in 9 years and then we go back to our failing ways. Only the Leafs could have home ice advantage with merely 15 games left and just totally go off the cliff. All they had to do was win 6-7 more games and they couldn't even do that. :shake head

By the way how did we not inquire about Kirk Muller being an assistant? The guy loses his job and not one iota about him coming here? I would've liked to see his defensive system/PK here. He did a pretty good job in Montreal with it.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
2002 ECF loss to carolina in overtime.

and last year's first round meltdown to the bruins in game 7.

both are equally painful to me. ugh.

in 02 the Leafs overachieved, they weren't a bad team, but the reason they even made it to the conference finals was Belfour (similar to Montreal this year and Price) and last year they were happy to make the playoffs and were expected to be easily swept.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
This morning was pretty depressing. I was listening to the radio and heard about the crazy bars in Toronto that are known to be Leaf bars and there was only habs fans and leaf fans that were telling the radio station they are converted.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
in 02 the Leafs overachieved, they weren't a bad team, but the reason they even made it to the conference finals was Belfour (similar to Montreal this year and Price) and last year they were happy to make the playoffs and were expected to be easily swept.

It was Cujo in net, not belfour. I don't think we overachieved in 02, we had a pretty solid team top to bottom.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
This morning was pretty depressing. I was listening to the radio and heard about the crazy bars in Toronto that are known to be Leaf bars and there was only habs fans and leaf fans that were telling the radio station they are converted.

why miss the party , if i was younger and still single i'd be heading to Mon and partying with the hotties on St.Cath st.

no use letting another Leaf collapse ruin a good time

Last edited:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
It was Cujo in net, not belfour. I don't think we overachieved in 02, we had a pretty solid team top to bottom.

You're right it was Cujo, he was amazing that year. What I meant was the Leafs were the underdogs and not expected to go far that year. I hate to say it, but Ottawa was the best of the East in 02, but they seemed to choke come playoff time. It's like Pittsburgh and Boston this Year should be playing for the East, but both are golfing with the Leafs now. Right now the East is up for anyone because both underdogs are there and I don't know who will win. My point any ways was the 02 Leafs were underdogs and losing in the conference finals wasn't as devastating as losing in 93 where the Leafs were the better team.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
I'm too young to experience any true Leaf pain, but my personal lowest was Game 7. I don't know why, but as soon as it went up to 4-1, before the collapse even started to happen, my gut feeling was "it's too early to celebrate". My parents (who aren't hockey fans) told me that the game was totally over, but in the back of my mind, I knew it wasn't. After Bergeron's OT goal, I actually felt like someone was sitting on my chest. It was utterly devastating as my first true disappointment as a Leaf fan.

Honorable mention to when Boston picked Seguin. I've come to terms with the trade overall, but just I remember seeing that on TSN and wondering what could have been.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
The firing of Carlyle a couple weeks ago makes this that much worse, since we were on such a high after that.

This post was created the day Carlyle was kept on in the summer ironically enough.. so now that we are going through this low, just a couple weeks after his firing............ it sucks the big one

Beleafer19

Apr 25, 2013

They were never real Leafs fans to begin with. No true Leafs fan would ever convert to being a Habs fan.

Disgruntled Observer*

For like 5 years in a row, the leafs were too terrible to make the playoffs, but too good to finish with a high 1st round pick.

Then, after the leafs trade away their 1st rounder, we FINALLY sink to a terrible position and finish 2nd last. That one year we didn't have our pick.

That entire season was hands down the worst moment as a leaf fan.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
My worst memory... I'm showing my age but the day Lanny Mcdonald got traded to Colorado for Wilf Paiement. Lanny was my hero and I cried myself to sleep. I remember there was actually people protesting on the streets in the news.

Wilf Paiement wore number 99 and all I could think about was we got the wrong 99 for Lanny.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Game 7 when I was on vacation in Italy. Game finished at about 4am local time and I couldn't sleep for a good 5 hours..

Rough time.

TML1

Oct 18, 2014
I've followed the team since the mid seventies. The entire eighties were brutal , the nineties were a bit better , had success early in the new millennium but it's been just awful ever since. No doubt in saying with all this history of heartache the worst moment was the Boston Collapse. I'm still traumatized.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
For me, definitely Game 6 of that 2002 ECF.

When Mats scored with seconds to go, I really started to believe that this was a team of destiny especially given how they battled so hard to get through the first two rounds with the injuries they had. That was probably the loudest I've ever heard the ACC get; and when Gelinas scored, the quietest. Bittersweet memories, but I'm proud of those early 2000s teams. They were all heart and laid everything out on the line every game. It's such a stunning contrast to today where our current roster can't even hang to a 4-1 lead let alone come back from any sort of deficit.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
One of the best was in 07, last game of the season vs Montreal Leafs were down 5-3 and scored 3 straight to win 6-5 to jump ahead of Montreal and into a playoff spot.

The worst? The next day when the Islanders played the Devils. Wade Dubleiewicz allows a goal with 3 seconds left to tie the game and It forces a shootout. Yet the Islanders win the shootout and jump ahead of the Leafs into the #8 seed to lose to Buffalo in 5 games.

I couldn't even watch that shootout. It was too nerve wracking...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad