What is your most memorable REGULAR SEASON win amongst the 2,000 in Flyers' history?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
When I was like 13 or 14 years old or so back in 1998-99, I went to a Flyers-Avalanche game with my older cousin. The Flyers built up a 4 goal lead but in the 3rd period, the Avs stormed back to tie it, before Valeri Zelepukin won the game for the Flyers in OT. That one sticks out to me as one of my favorite early games I attended.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
[QUOTE="JojoTheWhale, post: 155992423, member: 69874"
I truly wish some of you could have gone to games at the Spectrum. A lot was lost in that move. More than any other team I've ever rooted for and I'm not sure why.[/QUOTE]

I’m probably waxing nostalgia, but the Spectrum gave the Flyers the best home ice advantage in the league. That’s what was lost. The Spectrum was built for hockey and opposing teams never wanted to play there. They were intimated before stepping into the building, even long after the Broad Street Bullies heyday. The tales about opposing players coming down with fictional illnesses or injuries before games at the Spectrum (The Philly Flu) was true. I never recalled hearing similar stories about the Boston Garden, Montreal Forum or Madison Square Garden.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
There's also this one. I was at the first preseason game against the Nordiques too, but this was the home opener and the first time I saw him in person in a game that mattered. This was also the Goal late in the game where I could start appreciating the absurd talent level. It wasn't like I could watch Oshawa or the WJCs in the early 90s.

The whole video is great and includes a Sports Channel Philadelphia scrawl if you remember that monstrosity.

I truly wish some of you could have gone to games at the Spectrum. A lot was lost in that move. More than any other team I've ever rooted for and I'm not sure why.

I was young, like 10 or so, but I remember a few games at the spectrum. I mostly remember the concerts there though.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Meltzer wrote an article on the 10 most important wins...I certainly forgot about this one...

9. APR. 9, 2016: Flyers 3 vs. Pittsburgh 1
With the Flyers in need of two points on the penultimate day of the regular season in order to clinch a playoff spot, power forward Wayne Simmonds dedicated the game beforehand to Flyers' co-founder and longtime chairman Ed Snider. He delivered on his promise with two goals. The Flyers trailed 1-0 early and were in severe jeopardy of falling into a 2-0 hole when goaltender Steve Mason made a 10-bell save on Kael Moullierat from the left slot. The momentum turned thereafter and the Flyers went on to win the game. Before the game, anthemist Lauren Hart sang directly to the ailing Mr. Snider via FaceTime. Two days later, Ed Snider passed away at the age of 83.

Meltzer: 10 from 2,000

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Meltzer wrote an article on the 10 most important wins...I certainly forgot about this one...

9. APR. 9, 2016: Flyers 3 vs. Pittsburgh 1
With the Flyers in need of two points on the penultimate day of the regular season in order to clinch a playoff spot, power forward Wayne Simmonds dedicated the game beforehand to Flyers' co-founder and longtime chairman Ed Snider. He delivered on his promise with two goals. The Flyers trailed 1-0 early and were in severe jeopardy of falling into a 2-0 hole when goaltender Steve Mason made a 10-bell save on Kael Moullierat from the left slot. The momentum turned thereafter and the Flyers went on to win the game. Before the game, anthemist Lauren Hart sang directly to the ailing Mr. Snider via FaceTime. Two days later, Ed Snider passed away at the age of 83.

Meltzer: 10 from 2,000

Who the f***?

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
A game that I always remember was a preseason game. It was the first game we had hextall back. It was against the capitals and Rob Pearson I think it was was getting ejected . he had to go behind hextalls net to get the ice. as he and the ref approached the net you see hextalls mask wiggling because he was probably running his mouth and Pearson went after him and hextall gave him the what for and a pile on ensued. The crowd went absolutely crazy and after it was all said and done as hextall was putting on his mask and getting his gear back together he was laughing and you can tell he was thrilled to be back.

If I ever get five minutes with Hexy, this will be my question, asking him what he said to get him to freak out so much. Now that he's no longer GM, he might even give an honest answer :crossfing

Reactions: Hextallent63

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Do you remember James Patrick breaking Ron Sutter’s jaw and not getting suspended? I feel like we never properly paid him back for that.
Dave Hakstol took it out on his nephew by putting him on a line with Dale Weise.

One I should bring up I think is the game where Eric Lindros first returned against the Flyers with the Rangers, which was a pretty electric game, it felt like a big deal, not only for that game, but the Eagles were playing a playoff game across the street against Tampa Bay later on in the day, where they won 31-9. Flyers won 4-2, and the winning goal bore my original user name as it was scored by Kim Johnsson, who of course was one of the players the Flyers received in the trade for Lindros.

phlflyer1

Oct 16, 2007
South Jersey
That’s it! Nice find.
I couldn’t remember if it was Detroit or TOR.

I might be wrong, and maybe MSE can correct me, but I think that Clarke goal was the tying goal of a game where the Flyers scored twice in the last minute and a half to salvage a 2-2 tie during the 1978-79 season.

I have vague memories of the game as a youngster but remember that it was a pretty incredible comeback and that the tying goal was scored on a crazy breakaway goal.

Flyers History - Philadelphia Flyer Game Summary

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I might be wrong, and maybe MSE can correct me, but I think that Clarke goal was the tying goal of a game where the Flyers scored twice in the last minute and a half to salvage a 2-2 tie during the 1978-79 season.

I have vague memories of the game as a youngster but remember that it was a pretty incredible comeback and that the tying goal was scored on a crazy breakaway goal.

Flyers History - Philadelphia Flyer Game Summary

The 2-2 tie was played in the afternoon, the day after Christmas 1978. What was also memorable about that game is Bob Dailey went into convulsions after being checked to the ice where his head made contact. Behn Wilson, who was pre-med, was the first to attend to him.

The game in which Clarke scored (from his highlight video) while sliding on the ice was in March of 1977.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
There are so many for me but one that always sticks with me is 11-14-85. The 1st game after Pelle died. We went to the game and by chance the tickets happened to have Pelle on them( back then that season there were pictures of players on the front). The usher at the door did not tear our tickets in half just marked the back with a marker. Bob Froese was to start against the defending cup champs Edmonton, but after the memorial service we found out Froese got hurt in warm ups and a guy called Darren Jensen got the start. It was one hell of a game and we won 5-3. It was the only time I have cried before and after a game. For the life of me I just cannot remember who was Jensen's back-up for the game. And I still have the ticket.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Kim Johnsson was really really good for a short period. A hugely underrated player at his peak IMO. Unfortunately his knee had other plans.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
There are so many for me but one that always sticks with me is 11-14-85. The 1st game after Pelle died. We went to the game and by chance the tickets happened to have Pelle on them( back then that season there were pictures of players on the front). The usher at the door did not tear our tickets in half just marked the back with a marker. Bob Froese was to start against the defending cup champs Edmonton, but after the memorial service we found out Froese got hurt in warm ups and a guy called Darren Jensen got the start. It was one hell of a game and we won 5-3. It was the only time I have cried before and after a game. For the life of me I just cannot remember who was Jensen's back-up for the game. And I still have the ticket.

Mike Bloski. He never appeared in an NHL game. He was recalled from the IHL.

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Maybe not the most memorable games to me, but I do have some oddly vivid memories of 05/06, the first year I started following.

I remember the 6-5 win over the Pens early that year, when Talbot scored on Niitty from center ice off the faceoff and Rathje won it in OT. I think that was the last game Lemieux played against the Flyers.

I remember Knuble scoring with ~3 seconds left to beat the Panthers

I remember Radivojevic scoring with less than a minute left to beat the Wild one game in December. I really only remember that because I watched it sick in bed with the stomach bug. I also miss Branko Radivojevic, mostly for his name.

I remember them beating the Blue Jackets about a half week later because it was the last time they won in Columbus until recently and I contracted another long stomach bug again that night

I remember them beating the Blues in St Louis (the year they were worst in the league) shortly after that because I still had a stomach bug and our dog died the next day

I remember them beating the Panthers in a shootout right after Christmas because they said Sami Kapanen was missing the game with a stomach bug and I still had serious PTSD at that point (I think Handzus scored the SO winner)

Then there was an OT game in New York later that season when Gagne scored a few seconds in to win it for the Flyers. At least I think that game was that year. It may or may not have been the same game where Kim Johnsson went coast to coast and scored, which I also still remember for some reason

I think my most vivid memory of my early time watching the Flyers was when they got pounded 9-1 in Buffalo at the beginning of 06/07 but that obviously wasn't a win :laugh:

phlflyer1

Oct 16, 2007
South Jersey
The 2-2 tie was played in the afternoon, the day after Christmas 1978. What was also memorable about that game is Bob Dailey went into convulsions after being checked to the ice where his head made contact. Behn Wilson, who was pre-med, was the first to attend to him.

The game in which Clarke scored (from his highlight video) while sliding on the ice was in March of 1977.

Thanks MSE, I figured that you would correct me if I was mistaken. Like I said, my memories of that 2-2 game were those of a youngster but I do remember it standing out as an incredible comeback.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t have the memory that some of you guys do. Impressive!

I think mine are the rags flyers SO to the playoffs and the sens brawl game. In the playoffs it’s the game 6 Tampa game. I was at both the rangers anc Tampa game.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018

Not sure who he is, just know Steve Mason is his dad

Belly scores the empty netter and the whole place is going crazy except for Hakstol, standing perfectly still, arms akimbo, scowling.

"That's not how you hold a lead!"

Knowing the context of that game and season, if there's any time to crack a smile, show any kind of emotion, it's there. What a nightmare.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Another random memory from the 05-06 season, the Flyers beat the Flames 1-0 in the shootout in December. I remember Kiprusoff played really well for Calgary and my mom kept calling him a stone wall. I'm also pretty sure this was one of the first games where the current goal horn was used, if not the first, because I remember them showing it off during the broadcast.

Most of my memories of the Flyers that year are from the first half because that was also the first year we had Hershey Bears season tickets. They won the Calder Cup that year and the Flyers were decimated by injuries and faltered around the midpoint, so I eventually paid more attention to the Bears.

I missed the Rangers-flyers shootout game in 2010. My brother commuted to a college an hour away, didn't have a driver's license yet and had an event at school that afternoon, so we all had to go take him :( Though it might be for the best because I don't know if I could handle the stress :laugh:

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
I wasn't born yet, but I would have liked to have watched the 1973-74 season opener against Toronto. Kate Smith made her live Spectrum debut and Bernie Parent made his return with a 2-0 shutout. In goal for Toronto was former Flyer Doug Favell. Favell and Bernie were former teammates who shared the goaltending duties from the Flyers inception until Bernie's trade to Toronto in 1971. Favell wound up being traded to Toronto for the rights to Bernie in the summer of 1973. I read in Full Spectrum that the Favell-Parent trade was somewhat unpopular and Parent was booed after giving up 9 goals in a preseason game. Maybe @MiamiScreamingEagles or someone else could expound more upon this?

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad