What is your most memorable REGULAR SEASON win amongst the 2,000 in Flyers' history?

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
J.J Daigneault OT winner, Lindros OT winner.

Oops those at playoff results.

Mario Lemieux’s return from cancer — I was at the game.

Reactions: BernieParent

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
On March 5, 1985, the Flyers beat the Islanders at Long Island 5-4 on a Dave Poulin OT goal. Remember the Islander goalie (can't remember if it was Billy Smith or Kelly Hrudey) being in such disbelief after Poulin's game winner, that he didn't see another Islander sliding, A-Mac style, into him. At the time, the Islanders were still a formidable team with Mike Bossy, Bryan Trottier and Denis Potvin, so winning on their home ice gave the Flyers a much needed confidence boost. The win propelled the Flyers to a 10 game winning streak with Pelle playing lights out.

My first game was at the Spectrum earlier that year against the Penguins on October 21, 1984. Tim Kerr scored a few PP goals in a 4-2 win. Loved the old goal horn back then.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I mentioned it before, but the first and only game I've been to live, Flyers at Canucks, October 10th, 2007.

Flyers are coming off one of the worst seasons in team history, and signed Danny Briere in the offseason to try and return to relevance. Boy, did they start that season's western conference road trip on a mission to prove they were the real deal.

Flyers score 4 in the first, en route to an 8-2 route of the Canucks. Briere was hot to start that season, and had a goal and 2 assists in this game. Mike Richards stole the show though, going off for 2 goals and two assists, including scoring a goal while killing a 5v3 (the first of two times he would do this feat that season). And of course, the piece if news everyone was talking about the next day, the Jessie Boulerice sucker punch on Ryan Kesler. Ol'bowlofrice never played another NHL after that I believe.

All in all, a really memorable game. Wouldn't trade it for any other.
Hard to top games you attend yourself and I was there for this one, too.

Richie's 3-on-5 SH goal was a thing of beauty. I remember Lupul and Hartnell having really strong games, too.

Boulerice didn't sucker punch Kesler, either... he cross checked him right in the chops. One of the dirtiest plays I have seen live and he earned his lengthy suspension.

There were a few memorable games I saw live in Ottawa in the 90's, including the first time I saw Eric live as a Flyer (saw him live a ton as a General), but the 2007 Vancouver game stands out as the best of the bunch for me. It was the first game I saw with the now wife, so there is a bit of a sentimental choice in this game, too.

For games I didn't attend, the 2010 final game shootout is an obvious one. The crazy third period comeback against Carolina was a good one, too.

Pre-streaming I didn't get to see the Flyers on TV much, so most of my full season watching is from ~2003 on. I remember a lot of fun games in 2003-04, but no single game really stands out.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
May 4th 2004

May 5th 2000

May 23rd 1997

Power Play at the end of the game is Paul Coffey, Eric Desjardins, Rod Brind'Amour, Eric Lindros, and John LeClair. Ridiculous.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
I started following the Flyers in 84....I suppose Game 6 of the 87 finals sticks out....the comeback against the oilers forcing a game 7 even though we had serious injuries....I really thought after game 6 our magical run would continue......the game against the Oilers after Lindbergh's death....that was a powerful moment as well.....there are many others.....

Reactions: baudib1

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

It wouldn't be inappropriate for people to post their favorite or most memorable win. Since we have people of different ages, mostly younger, what one win stands out amongst the 2000 the most? I would imagine the shootout victory against the Rangers will get a lot of exposure. Remember, this does NOT include playoffs.

It can be a sentimental win, too. First game attending in person, for example.

Some that come to mind (this will be expanded)

1. Flyers beat Bruins on December 22, 1979 which broke the NHL record for most consecutive games without a loss at 29.
2. Flyers beat Islanders on November 17, 1985 for consecutive win #13. The game was won in OT, team trailed 4-1 at one point. Just a testament of will in the days following Lindbergh's death.
3. Flyers beat Oilers on November 14, 1985. First game after Lindbergh's death.

You mean 1986 on these post-Lindbergh games right?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
You mean 1986 on these post-Lindbergh games right?

Lindbergh passed in November 1985. The two games I referenced in the first post were just a few days removed from that point in time. That was the pregame ceremony:

I assumed playoff memories would get the bulk of favorite memories which is why I indicated the 2,000 wins only includes regular season games.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
In my lifetime viewing (since 97) the ones that stood out:

Game 4 and 7 vs Boston in 2010 playoffs... both were crazy.
Game 6 vs Toronto in 2004 playoffs. Epic.
Giroux+Couturier Hat-trick game vs Pens in 2012 playoffs.

Flyers-Senators brawl game.

Reactions: Adtar02

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Lindbergh passed in November 1985. The two games I referenced in the first post were just a few days removed from that point in time. That was the pregame ceremony:

I assumed playoff memories would get the bulk of favorite memories which is why I indicated the 2,000 wins only includes regular season games.

I keep asssociating Lindbergh with dying in the 1986 season, my mistake.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Since the replies have included the playoffs, I will offer one that rarely gets attention and likely has been forgotten due to the advancement of years. 1977 at Toronto Game 4. The Leafs won the first two games at Philadelphia and went home with a 2-0 series lead.

Around this time, Barry Ashbee was on what turned out to be his death bed when he spoke to the media about his cancer treatments (he passed the next month). Four Flyers, based on the 1976 playoffs, were handed sentences of either fines or jail time by a judge in Toronto as they made their way north into Canada. The end was written for the Flyers and even a smattering of sweep talks.

The Flyers won Game 3 at Toronto in OT. They were alive. Onto game 4. Bruce Hood was the referee, which for the Flyers was always a cause for concern. The two wingers on the second line were ejected for "threatening" Hood, per his account, while they were in the penalty box. Penalty minutes were 65-13. The Flyers had three men EJECTED from the game. Three men down, three goals down and shorthanded in the traditional hockey lexicon.

Toronto had multiple powerplays and eventually owned a 3-goal lead with less than 6 minutes to play. Lanny McDonald had four goals against Wayne Stephenson. The Leafs' home crowd was jubilant. The Flyers were about to be down 3 games to 1. And then one of the most remarkable comebacks to this day occurred; all begun by a shorthanded goal while the scorer Mel Bridgman, one of the four facing judiciary responsibility, was on his tummy. Then, two more goals 16 seconds apart in the final two minutes. Reggie Leach, who had an unproductive regular season, scored the winner in OT. The head coach of the Leafs was bewildered and he was quoted after the game "It's hard to understand. It's hard to believe." It was the ultimate us-against-them Flyers moment. The series ended with four straight wins.

Last edited:

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
BEST IVE BEEN TO:
- Pronger last second goal against Chicago
- Richards 3 on 5 goal against Toronto
- Niittymaki making something like 54 saves in Toronto to lead the Flyers to the W. I think Downie scored his first NHL goal that night.
- 8-2 win over the Caps in the 17/18 home opener.
- early 2000s when Domi ran from Richardson as him and Kaberle were doubling up on Burt. I was a kid and I’ve despised the Leafs since.

OTHERS:
- Shootout win against Rangers on last game of the 2010 season
- Giroux’s winner in the final seconds of OT against Chicago a couple years ago. JJs call did it for me. “Can the captain pull of the miracle? The shot, HE SCORES! Miracle delivered!”
- Comeback against CBJ capped off by Giroux’s falling down backhand winning goal.
- Comeback from 5-1 in the third period against the Hurricanes
- the beginning of the Danny Briere era. Scores 2 in his first game including the game winning with less than 5 mins to go to beat the Flames.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
as others have mentioned...the shootout win over the rangers is my #1. I am too young to remember many of the good times before that.

some memorable ones
- hartnell scores on fleury with half a second left (made extra funny by Jagr dogging it to the bench with 5 seconds left)
- girouxs hat trick against the rangers
- giroux backhander that beats bob

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
Regular season, probably game 82 vs the Rangers. I was in my college dorm watching with a Rangers fan so that was amazing.

12/08/16 against Edmonton was another great one. I took two of my friends who really aren't into hockey. They got to see Xfinity Live and the game was amazing. We scored 3 goals in just over a minute, went down 2 and then scored 3 unanswered including the GWG with just under 2 minutes left in the game. It was also the first game since Manning hurt McDavid so it was pretty chippy. Was pretty cool to see two guys go nuts over a sport they never really cared about.

Playoffs, aside from the Boston series, would be Giroux against the Pens. The huge hit on Crosby and then the sick goal off the post. That moment still gives me chills. Giroux shoots, the crowd is pretty much silent so all you can hear is the ping, and then the crowd goes crazy.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Regular Season:

November 9, 2013 - Oilers at Flyers

Someone correct me if I have the wrong season here.

Giroux’s longest goals drought to start the season. I remember his look of relief after scoring his first

Playoffs:

May 14, 2010 - Flyers at Bruins

I remember turning to my dad after the 3rd goal against and joking that a Flyers win was destiny.

Those Laviolette teams were dramatic as f***

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
LeClair 4 goals vs Vancouver

LeClair blasting one through the net

Boucher shootout save in 2010

Gagne OT goal in 6 seconds

Recchi 2 shorties in less than 10 seconds ( IIRC)

Ghost 15 game point streak in 2015-2016

Carter Hart

Edit: Oops you said no Playoffs. Will add more later. Reg season games are harder to recall.

Last edited:

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Since the replies have included the playoffs, I will offer one that rarely gets attention and likely has been forgotten due to the advancement of years. 1977 at Toronto Game 4. The Leafs won the first two games at Philadelphia and went home with a 2-0 series lead.

Around this time, Barry Ashbee was on what turned out to be his death bed when he spoke to the media about his cancer treatments (he passed the next month). Four Flyers, based on the 1976 playoffs, were handed sentences of either fines or jail time by a judge in Toronto as they made their way north into Canada. The end was written for the Flyers and even a smattering of sweep talks.

The Flyers won Game 3 at Toronto in OT. They were alive. Onto game 4. Bruce Hood was the referee, which for the Flyers was always a cause for concern. The two wingers on the second line were ejected for "threatening" Hood, per his account, while they were in the penalty box. Penalty minutes were 65-13. The Flyers had three men EJECTED from the game. Three men down, three goals down and shorthanded in the traditional hockey lexicon.

Toronto had multiple powerplays and eventually owned a 3-goal lead with less than 6 minutes to play. Lanny McDonald had four goals against Wayne Stephenson. The Leafs' home crowd was jubilant. The Flyers were about to be down 3 games to 1. And then one of the most remarkable comebacks to this day occurred; all begun by a shorthanded goal while the scorer Mel Bridgman, one of the four facing judiciary responsibility, was on his tummy. Then, two more goals 16 seconds apart in the final two minutes. Reggie Leach, who had an unproductive regular season, scored the winner in OT. The head coach of the Leafs was bewildered and he was quoted after the game "It's hard to understand. It's hard to believe." It was the ultimate us-against-them Flyers moment. The series ended with four straight wins.

Amazing story.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I don’t remember the other details, but Hextall scoring a goal was ridiculous.

Surprised no one brought up fights but I distinctly remember a game in the Holmgren era where a young Berube got schooled by Chris Nilan and Big Bad Dave Brown got revenge later in the game.
Brown was as devastating a fighter as I’ve seen.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Game 7 over the bruins, im to young to say the cup wins, as i was born in 1991 lol

But when we came back from 3-0 in the series and that game i cant recall being that happy as a flyers fan

Whoops didnt realize it was only regular season, march 5th 2004 against the senators, i was at that game and not only did we crush them but we fought them all as well lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad