What is your most memorable REGULAR SEASON win amongst the 2,000 in Flyers' history?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I don’t remember the other details, but Hextall scoring a goal was ridiculous.

Surprised no one brought up fights but I distinctly remember a game in the Holmgren era where a young Berube got schooled by Chris Nilan and Big Bad Dave Brown got revenge later in the game.
Brown was as devastating a fighter as I’ve seen.

The Bruins' announcer called the goal prior to the play developing. "Hextall is so strong in clearing."

Derek Sanderson, the analyst, was excited by the moment, too.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Another one just came to mind. Game 63 of the 2014-15 season, at home against the Rangers.
New York Rangers - Philadelphia Flyers - February 28th, 2015

I had a falling out with the other attendee, but me and a former friend from NEPA went to this game. Being a NEPA guy, he was NYC sports, save the Phillies. He went to the game in his Richter blouse, and I wore my Desjardins sweater.

Honestly, all I really remember from that game was feeling like, don't get embarassed Flyers, hopefully no drunks pick a fight with my friend. Then, f***ing Steve Mason gives up a goal from outside the blueline. BUT HE DIDN"T! HAHAHAHA f*** YOU CHRIS KRIEDER< YOU f***ING LAZY BUM! A delayed off-sides negated the would be goal, so embarassing (Mason would make up for it years later giving up an even moar ridiculous goal during the playoffs to the Craps.)

So the game was still 0-0, mere minutes into the contest, and the Flyers ended up pulling out an impressive victory. Drunk on not alcohol (prices be too damn high) and gleefully gloating, it was a sweet Septa ride back home. We sprung for club box seats, and it was pretty awesome.

My first Flyers game was at the CoreStates Center, only saw basketball at the Spectrum. My mom had tickets through work, so the four of us go as a family, again in box seats. We were playing the Devils, and Scott Daniels (THREE DAN LINE!) got in a fight at the very beginning of the game. I'm a young teenager yelling as loud as I can with blood curdling enthusiasm. There's a young girl (<= 8 y/o) who turns her head at the vociferous fury i'm unleashing. Then, my dad, a non-hockey fan, smirks, and tells her, "Yeah, he scares me too." I remember the fights (Dan Kordic got one in too) and how fast everything was. From back then, don't even remember if we won (we did).
New Jersey Devils at Philadelphia Flyers Box Score — October 7, 1996 | Hockey-Reference.com

Reactions: Amorgus and baudib1

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Hands down being at this game. Only thing that even comes close is the 2010 run (I was at the Flyers-Rags game that got them in and the run to the Cup was great). Had I been alive for the Cups or the Russian series, those probably would top these things but alas that was about a decade before my time.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
My favorite would be a preseason game, but since that doesn't count -- Opening night 1986-87, Flyers-Oilers. My Dad actually took the time to leave work early to take me on a Thursday, which never happened.

Kurri scored on the PP early and then the game settled in a bit. I was too small to be aware that I was watching Hextall's first NHL game, but he made a semi-breakaway save on Gretzky coming down the left side where he must have been 10 feet outside of his crease, people lost their minds, the Flyers came back to score twice later in the 3rd to win 2-1, and I was hooked for life. (@Captain Dave Poulin that was a Zezel game winner.)

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
1. I think it was against Detroit in the mid 70’s. Clarke scored a goal while sliding on the ice. I tried to make that shot for a decade.
2. Flyers-Ottawa brawl.
3. Red Army game.

Was the reference at Detroit? I recall this goal, one of his most fetching. At the 3;12 mark of the video:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
One other memorable game that I was at occured Dec 2, 1973 against of all teams, the California Seals:

California Seals rookie defenseman Barry Cummins learned a painful lesson about the lengths the Flyers were willing to go to defend one another, especially team captain Bobby Clarke. At 11:32 of the second period of a game between the Flyers and Seals at the Spectrum on December 2, 1973, one of the most notorious moments of the Broad Street Bullies era took place at 11:32 of the second period with the Flyers leading 2-1.

Frustrated by an unpenalized high stick from Clarke, Cummins swung his stick at Clarke's head, opening a bloody 24-stitch gash on Clarke's head. The Flyers' retaliation was immediate and severe. Numerous Flyers players descended upon Cummins at once, beating him to a pulp. After the line brawl and another round of fights a few minutes later, the visiting Seals went down meekly, 5-1.

TODAY IN FLYERS HISTORY: December 2

I saw Cummins give Clarke the two-hander to the head, saw the blood, and as scary as that was I was even more scared for him. I thought the Flyers were going to kill him.

drcrusher

Jul 12, 2006
Others have mentioned it already, but a regular-season game that stands out instantly in my mind is the one where Pronger scored in the last seconds to beat Chicago in 2010. I had been sitting buried in blankets on the couch thinking "OK, overtime it is" and then G made that pass and Pronger put it in net and next thing I knew I was on my feet screaming WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I had a few more moments like that in 2010 during the playoffs but it feels like it has been a long, long time since the Flyers have led me to that kind of elation.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
1. 1975 Red Army Game

2. 1 - 0 1974 SCF

3. 2-0 1975 SCF

4. Waiting.....

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
One other memorable game that I was at occured Dec 2, 1973 against of all teams, the California Seals:

California Seals rookie defenseman Barry Cummins learned a painful lesson about the lengths the Flyers were willing to go to defend one another, especially team captain Bobby Clarke. At 11:32 of the second period of a game between the Flyers and Seals at the Spectrum on December 2, 1973, one of the most notorious moments of the Broad Street Bullies era took place at 11:32 of the second period with the Flyers leading 2-1.

Frustrated by an unpenalized high stick from Clarke, Cummins swung his stick at Clarke's head, opening a bloody 24-stitch gash on Clarke's head. The Flyers' retaliation was immediate and severe. Numerous Flyers players descended upon Cummins at once, beating him to a pulp. After the line brawl and another round of fights a few minutes later, the visiting Seals went down meekly, 5-1.

TODAY IN FLYERS HISTORY: December 2

I saw Cummins give Clarke the two-hander to the head, saw the blood, and as scary as that was I was even more scared for him. I thought the Flyers were going to kill him.

Claude Loiselle got a multi-game suspension for slashing Clarke on the head/face.

In another game, Miroslav Frycer, who played for Detroit, slashed Murray Craven in the eyes following an OT goal in Detroit. I recall Craven was sent to the hospital, released and then had a setback. He handled with his usual class. Frycer got as many as a 13-game suspension which was large at the time.

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
Others have mentioned it already, but a regular-season game that stands out instantly in my mind is the one where Pronger scored in the last seconds to beat Chicago in 2010. I had been sitting buried in blankets on the couch thinking "OK, overtime it is" and then G made that pass and Pronger put it in net and next thing I knew I was on my feet screaming WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I had a few more moments like that in 2010 during the playoffs but it feels like it has been a long, long time since the Flyers have led me to that kind of elation.
Great call, I remember watching that with my dad.

Reactions: drcrusher

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Saw the last second Hartnell goal against the Pens live.

Also the game Lava went nuts against the Pens.

Pronger's late goal against the Hawks

Shootout vs the Rangers

Senators brawl

That insane game against CBJ with Giroux's spinning backhander. 100th of his career. Tied it at 4 and won it within 2 mins

I wasn't around until 93, wasn't making Flyers memories until the late 90s

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
After some further reflection, I can't think of a more memorable regular season win then Game 82 vs New York in 2010.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Saw the last second Hartnell goal against the Pens live.

Also the game Lava went nuts against the Pens.

Pronger's late goal against the Hawks

Shootout vs the Rangers

Senators brawl

That insane game against CBJ with Giroux's spinning backhander. 100th of his career. Tied it at 4 and won it within 2 mins

I wasn't around until 93, wasn't making Flyers memories until the late 90s

Good ones!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
There's also this one. I was at the first preseason game against the Nordiques too, but this was the home opener and the first time I saw him in person in a game that mattered. This was also the Goal late in the game where I could start appreciating the absurd talent level. It wasn't like I could watch Oshawa or the WJCs in the early 90s.

The whole video is great and includes a Sports Channel Philadelphia scrawl if you remember that monstrosity.

I truly wish some of you could have gone to games at the Spectrum. A lot was lost in that move. More than any other team I've ever rooted for and I'm not sure why.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
There's also this one. I was at the first preseason game against the Nordiques too, but this was the home opener and the first time I saw him in person in a game that mattered. This was also the Goal late in the game where I could start appreciating the absurd talent level. It wasn't like I could watch Oshawa or the WJCs in the early 90s.

The whole video is great and includes a Sports Channel Philadelphia scrawl if you remember that monstrosity.

I truly wish some of you could have gone to games at the Spectrum. A lot was lost in that move. More than any other team I've ever rooted for and I'm not sure why.

That goal still astonishes me. Agreed on Spectrum, that place was so much louder than any arena now.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I vaguely remember going to games at the Spectrum but I obviously wasn’t old enough to really take it in. I don’t know if they’re as liberal with it as they used to be but up to when I was like 4 or something they would let small kids in for free so along as they sat on the adult’s lap. My dad was a STH so I would go to a lot of games.

I was about 5 or 6 by the time they moved to the newer building. By the 04-05 lockout it became way more of a business & my dad gave up his tickets.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Doesn’t count in the 2,000 but I’d agree with some here that the Red Army game is as big as the Cup wins. We should have a thread here dedicated to it every anniversary.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
A game that I always remember was a preseason game. It was the first game we had hextall back. It was against the capitals and Rob Pearson I think it was was getting ejected . he had to go behind hextalls net to get the ice. as he and the ref approached the net you see hextalls mask wiggling because he was probably running his mouth and Pearson went after him and hextall gave him the what for and a pile on ensued. The crowd went absolutely crazy and after it was all said and done as hextall was putting on his mask and getting his gear back together he was laughing and you can tell he was thrilled to be back.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad