What is your most memorable REGULAR SEASON win amongst the 2,000 in Flyers' history?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

It wouldn't be inappropriate for people to post their favorite or most memorable win. Since we have people of different ages, mostly younger, what one win stands out amongst the 2000 the most? I would imagine the shootout victory against the Rangers will get a lot of exposure. Remember, this does NOT include playoffs.

It can be a sentimental win, too. First game attending in person, for example.

Some that come to mind (this will be expanded)

1. Flyers beat Bruins on December 22, 1979 which broke the NHL record for most consecutive games without a loss at 29.
2. Flyers beat Islanders on November 17, 1985 for consecutive win #13. The game was won in OT, team trailed 4-1 at one point. Just a testament of will in the days following Lindbergh's death.
3. Flyers beat Oilers on November 14, 1985. First game after Lindbergh's death.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

It wouldn't be inappropriate for people to post their favorite or most memorable win. Since we have people of different ages, mostly younger, what one win stands out amongst the 2000 the most? I would imagine the shootout victory against the Rangers will get a lot of exposure. Remember, this does NOT include playoffs.

Some that come to mind (this will be expanded)

1. Flyers beat Bruins on December 22, 1979 which broke the NHL record for most consecutive games without a loss at 29.
2. Flyers beat Islanders on November 17, 1985 for consecutive win #13. The game was won in OT, team trailed 4-1 at one point. Just a testament of will in the days following Lindbergh's death.
3. Flyers beat Oilers on November 14, 1985. First game after Lindbergh's death.

I was alive for two of those,. I was 18 months old, but thats here nor there.

Im going to go with the Shootout win over the rangers in Aprill of 2010.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I’m only 28, and there is one win that cemented me becoming a fan of this team.

The game 6 comeback against Tampa Bay. I will never forget that moment, and the fire I felt.

I started watching a bit before that but became hardcore after.

The recent Boston series comeback, was one where I felt such pride. A stupid kid in his first car, with the Flyers car flag up every game, even after they were in a hole. When they eventually came back - I had folks honking at me and giving thumbs up.

It’s been a wild ride, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. The lows, really do make the highs that much sweeter.

Edit: see that you meant the regular season only. Ahh well.

Reactions: TheKingPin

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Game 6; 1975 SC finals. Caused tears.

True but to emphasize the 2,000 is regular season only. Which is what makes the thread possibly more interesting. PO wins are more important. The comeback against Carolina should get some attention, too. What first comes to mind is usually the proper answer. The SO win against the Rangers is likely the immediate response for some.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I'm cheating a bit because I don't remember exactly which game it was, but I saw the Legion of Doom run roughshod over the Canadiens live in Montreal. It may have been this one:

But I seem to remember the Flyers scored more than 6. Darn my poor memory!

Was it the 7-0 shutout? IIRC, they put up 7 three times vs. Montreal in one calendar year.

Do you remember the Lindros-Desjardins clash?

magnumpi

Roger got goofy with Cancer
Apr 22, 2018
if you're including playoffs then game 6 of the 87 finals

but regular season, i mentioned it before and someone posted the box score.

it was 1988, probably spring.
Flyers beat Detroit 11-6
They scored like 7 goals in the 3rd, down 5-1 or something.

everyone in school was talking about the next day.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
-all of Pelle Lindbergh
-Ron Hextall smashing Chelios, basically Hextall in general
-Lindros and Brown standing back to back hammering on an entire line trying to fight them
-Primeau in the playoffs
-Richards "the shift", I cry watching it
-demolishing Bos in an epic comeback
-Currently, this Hart run

Can't pick a single game

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Because it involves my wife, and helped establish the pecking order of hockey, family, other stuff-

Game 28 of the 2008-2009 season, at home, against the Carolina Hurricanes, Dec 11th.

The Flyers went down 5-1 in the game, and at multiple times, still new in our relationship, she tried to get me to turn the channel, or talk to her, instead of vapidly staring at the screen with intermittent outburst of cursing and resignation. Then, the third period started, and an epic comeback came out of nowhere. With every Flyers goal, she became more of a fan, and I didn't seem so crazy, and the cherry on top, Flyers won in a friggin shoot-out, convincingly.

Check this boxscore, blast from the past. It's been a minute.
Carolina Hurricanes - Philadelphia Flyers - December 11th, 2008

Another favorite game, was unfortunately a loss, either game 67 or 73. Florida played here in Philly. Had a chance to attend the game, plans fell through, ended up going to the now shuttered Nodding Head brewpub which ended up being the first date with my wife. That was a horrible year for hockey, the Flyers lost, I drank a lot back then.

True but to emphasize the 2,000 is regular season only. Which is what makes the thread possibly more interesting. PO wins are more important. The comeback against Carolina should get some attention, too. What first comes to mind is usually the proper answer. The SO win against the Rangers is likely the immediate response for some.
I WAS NINJA'D!
(spent too much time looking up the specifics for the boxscore blah blah blah)

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
I mentioned it before, but the first and only game I've been to live, Flyers at Canucks, October 10th, 2007.

Flyers are coming off one of the worst seasons in team history, and signed Danny Briere in the offseason to try and return to relevance. Boy, did they start that season's western conference road trip on a mission to prove they were the real deal.

Flyers score 4 in the first, en route to an 8-2 route of the Canucks. Briere was hot to start that season, and had a goal and 2 assists in this game. Mike Richards stole the show though, going off for 2 goals and two assists, including scoring a goal while killing a 5v3 (the first of two times he would do this feat that season). And of course, the piece if news everyone was talking about the next day, the Jessie Boulerice sucker punch on Ryan Kesler. Ol'bowlofrice never played another NHL after that I believe.

All in all, a really memorable game. Wouldn't trade it for any other.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
if you're including playoffs then game of the 87 finals

but regular season, i mentioned it before and someone posted the box score.

it was 1988, probably spring.
Flyers beat Detroit 11-6
They scored like 7 goals in the 3rd, down 5-1 or something.

everyone in school was talking about the next day.

Oh yeah. A good one. Hextall was sick and vomited just before taking the ice. He was the scheduled starter. Mark Laforest replaced him and played until the first break in action, IIRC, around one minute. Hextall returned and got yanked in the first period because of the illness. And your recollection is exceptional. It was a 7-0 total in the third period.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
i wanna say..game 1 of 87 conference finals against the Habs..OT game..old spectrum..loudest building i have ever been in

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Late in the 14-15 season I made my second visit ever to Whatever The Hell It Was Called Back Then Arena in Buffalo and the opponent was the Flyers. To the delight of the crowd the Flyers jumped out to an early but what was quite possibly the least talented team in hockey came back and made a game of it. But much to the relief of everyone the Flyers held on and we ended up with Jack (and then wasted him by hiring several of the most incompetent executives and coaches in hockey history).

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I’m 39. I remember watching Flyers games & memorizing a hockey register at 6. My most vivid memories are my dad calling me at a friend’s house to tell me they got Lindros; Stevens’ hit on Lindros; primeau’s 5 OT goal; the Laviolette comeback against Boston; a little red radio sitting on a coffee table in my living room when I was 5 years old announcing that Pelle Lindbergh was “brain dead” & my asking my dad what that meant.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
Going to ramble, you've been warned!

I was going to pull one of the Hab-stompings in '95 or one of the pre-New Year's games against Vancouver in the late nineties, which were all fun, but especially the one in '97 (Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks Box Score — December 31, 1997 | Hockey-Reference.com): lots of goals, including from the scrubs, utter territorial domination, and real anger -- Gino Odjick would have fought everyone if they'd have let him, and was just out of control; this clip shows two of the dirtier sucker punches you'll see and helps to illustrate the nonsense that Lindros had to go through on a nightly basis (whereas Gretzky and Lemieux were always protected and treated with kid gloves):

(outstanding leadership from Messier captaining that team, lol).

One that 100%, no fudging, should have been a win was the game against Calgary with the first (only?) application of the 'Avery Rule' (Calgary Flames at Philadelphia Flyers Box Score — November 26, 2010 | Hockey-Reference.com), applied incorrectly against Chris Pronger -- my favorite example for why you should never, ever give a ref the benefit of the doubt, or trust that they're treating everyone with equal fairness. Almost had standings implications, as the Flyers only won the division on a tie-break instead of outright.

Another Pronger highlight was the regular season matchup against the Hawks a few months before they met in the Final (Chicago Blackhawks at Philadelphia Flyers Box Score — March 13, 2010 | Hockey-Reference.com). I remember it as an exciting, fast, crisp game from start to finish and a milestone in the development of the modern game. Chicago had turned a lot of heads the season before and would have been a lot of people's 'Western Conference Team'; for me at that point it was much easier to enjoy them shredding us in the neutral zone.

One moral victory, if you'll permit it: The 'Stall Game' against the Lightning says so much about the ethos of the club, reflected in Lavy's smirking machinations or even Neilson, Keenan, Shero -- we're going to do it our way even if it's never been done before, even if we have to break the game and work with the pieces. I was just cackling watching that one. The hockey world was somewhat split, but you'd better believe most were secretly thankful for the courageous stand against backsliding.

The Ottawa PM-fest will probably be mentioned ITT but I remember it largely as frustrating Peak Clutch-and-Grab.

Ultimately my pick is the second-to-last regular season game against the Pens in April 2012 (Philadelphia Flyers at Pittsburgh Penguins Box Score — April 1, 2012 | Hockey-Reference.com). It had the same script (Pittsburgh strikes early, as they often did against us, followed by a glorious Flyers comeback and then just pouring it on) and got plenty wild and unsportsmanlike. It's the game when Bylsma sent someone to run Briere at the end of the game, Lavy and Tony Granato stood on the boards and Pierre needed an adult, and Hartnell did the Hulk Hogan impression -- on April Fool's Day! Incredibly satisfying domination given the bad behavior; it showed one team deeply, deeply in the heads of another and was a precursor to the playoff series we all knew was coming (and might as well be included with the memories of that one).

Whew!

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
My 6th birthday present and first Flyers game. Last regular season tilt with the Rangers in the Spectrum, and my lone visit to the original barn.

New York Rangers at Philadelphia Flyers Box Score — April 4, 1996 | Hockey-Reference.com

Two Lindros goals, a first-period brawl...I have a remarkably bad memory, like I forget entire years of my childhood, but I do recall snapshots and moments from that game. It was a pretty special feeling, and I’m pretty lucky to have had my fandom baptized just in time at the Spectrum. I have to keep reminding myself now and then, looking at the box score and scraps of YouTube clips (the fights are there, the goals aren’t) to keep it preserved as best I can. I know either the Haller or Lindros goal in the first came on breakaway, over-the-shoulder shot. Richter, whose family mine knew back in Flourtown, was not in net that night, which was disappointing for me.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
My 6th birthday present and first Flyers game. Last regular season tilt with the Rangers in the Spectrum, and my lone visit to the original barn.

New York Rangers at Philadelphia Flyers Box Score — April 4, 1996 | Hockey-Reference.com

Two Lindros goals, a first-period brawl...I have a remarkably bad memory, like I forget entire years of my childhood, but I do recall snapshots and moments from that game. It was a pretty special feeling, and I’m pretty lucky to have had my fandom baptized just in time at the Spectrum. I have to keep reminding myself now and then, looking at the box score and scraps of YouTube clips (the fights are there, the goals aren’t) to keep it preserved as best I can. I know either the Haller or Lindros goal in the first came on breakaway, over-the-shoulder shot. Richter, whose family mine knew back in Flourtown, was not in net that night, which was disappointing for me.

It's so weird to see someone post flyers last game in 96 and then remember closing it down with pearl jam for 3 days straight in 11.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00