What is your most memorable REGULAR SEASON win amongst the 2,000 in Flyers' history?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I wasn't born yet, but I would have liked to have watched the 1973-74 season opener against Toronto. Kate Smith made her live Spectrum debut and Bernie Parent made his return with a 2-0 shutout. In goal for Toronto was former Flyer Doug Favell. Favell and Bernie were former teammates who shared the goaltending duties from the Flyers inception until Bernie's trade to Toronto in 1971. Favell wound up being traded to Toronto for the rights to Bernie in the summer of 1973. I read in Full Spectrum that the Favell-Parent trade was somewhat unpopular and Parent was booed after giving up 9 goals in a preseason game. Maybe @MiamiScreamingEagles or someone else could expound more upon this?

Bernie Parent was very popular in Philadelphia in his initial stay. He was traded to Toronto, a move highly disliked by Flyers' fans. One famous or infamous sign at the Spectrum was "Judas, Benedict Arnold and now Keith Allen” following the trade. Parent stayed with the Leafs until signing a substantial 5-year contract, the first NHL player to jump to the World Hockey Association, with the Miami Screaming Eagles, an original WHA franchise. That team existed on paper only since plans for an arena were canceled due to zoning ordinances and time was of essence. The WHA awarded the players under contract to new owners in Philadelphia, a team known as the Blazers which became a rushed and poor production. Parent had concerns about his contract (team's financial situation was weak), refused to play, and ultimately the franchise relocated to Vancouver. He sought a return to the NHL.

He remained under contract with the Leafs in the NHL. In the WHA, he was offered a contract by a team in New York who acquired his rights and who offered him more money than the Flyers after his NHL rights were traded to Philadelphia. A home town discount in essence since he wanted to return to the city. The re-acquisition of Parent was a long process. Toronto sent his rights to Philadelphia and only later (about two months) was Doug Favell part of the deal. That trade was not termed unpopular, certainly by comparison to the trade that sent Parent to Toronto.

As far as being booed, perhaps the team was scorned but I don't recall Parent being the object of any taunts in that preseason game. Yes, it was a romp and the score was indicative of such. I would doubt that Parent was singularly ridiculed. The fans were thrilled to have him back in uniform. FWIW, Steve Coates has mentioned the story of that preseason game a few times.

Last edited:

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Bernie Parent was very popular in Philadelphia in his initial stay. He was traded to Toronto, a move highly disliked by Flyers' fans. One famous or infamous sign at the Spectrum was "Judas, Benedict Arnold and now Keith Allen” following the trade. Parent stayed with the Leafs until signing a substantial 5-year contract, the first NHL player to jump to the World Hockey Association, with the Miami Screaming Eagles, an original WHA franchise. That team existed on paper only since plans for an arena were canceled due to zoning ordinances and time was of essence. The WHA awarded the players under contract to new owners in Philadelphia, a team known as the Blazers which became a rushed and poor production. Parent had concerns about his contract (team's financial situation was weak), refused to play, and ultimately the franchise relocated to Vancouver. He sought a return to the NHL.

He remained under contract with the Leafs in the NHL. In the WHA, he was offered a contract by a team in New York who acquired his rights and who offered him more money than the Flyers after his NHL rights were traded to Philadelphia. A home town discount in essence since he wanted to return to the city. The re-acquisition of Parent was a long process. Toronto sent his rights to Philadelphia and only later (about two months) was Doug Favell part of the deal. That trade was not termed unpopular, certainly by comparison to the trade that sent Parent to Toronto.

As far as being booed, perhaps the team was scorned but I don't recall Parent being the object of any taunts in that preseason game. Yes, it was a romp and the score was indicative of such. I would doubt that Parent was singularly ridiculed. The fans were thrilled to have him back in uniform. FWIW, Steve Coates has mentioned the story of that preseason game a few times.

I still have a Miami Screaming Eagles jersey just a little tight now. I do remember a quote from Bernie back then where he said the only ice he saw was in a glass. Doug was well liked and one funny guy but only THE LORD SAVES MORE THAN BERNIE.

Phileeguy

Sleep with one eye open tonight, bird.
Oct 7, 2010
Philly
Most memorable regular season win I've watched: the penultimate game of the 00-01 season when Lemieux returned and played his one game in Philly that year. The nice ovation for Mario was shortly followed by him scoring a goal and getting an assist in the 1st to help the Pens take a 3-0 lead. But the Flyers roared back to score 4 unanswered, with John LeClair scoring the OT winner.

Most memorable regular season win I've attended: I... don't have much here. I usually attend at least 1 or 2 games a year over the better part of the last 2 decades, but I've never really seen a memorable regular season win* in person. I guess I'm a bit unlucky in that regard. I'm legit going over my ticket stubs to jog my memory and the best I could come up with was January 10th, 2002. Primeau put the Flyers up 2-0, and later in the 2nd period Donald Brashear, of all people, beat Marty Brodeur to restore the 2 goal lead and make it 3-1. It turned out to be the game winner. The more I think about this game the more I remember saying to myself, "Brashear beat Brodeur?"

*Most memorable non-win was the Flyers penultimate 0-0 tie. February 24th 2001. It was pretty chilly for it being in the last third of winter, might've been some snow on the ground. Cechmanek was in goal and I'm sure he lunged with his head for some pucks few times. What really stood out was there were 14 PPs between the teams and nobody could bury one. On top of everything it was fan appreciation night, and I felt it was unfortunate timing that we saw zero goals from both teams on fan appreciation night.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018

YES! That was an incredible game!

One thing I really miss about that era is the absolute snipe show from low on the right side of the ice, as Recchi and Roenick display in the clip. A lot of it in the playoffs, too. Since Richards was traded and, well, Jake has been the only lefty coming down the right side, we've seen G's dominance tilt the ice to the other half.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Mike Bloski. He never appeared in an NHL game. He was recalled from the IHL.
Thanks MSE for the info. I have the service and game on a VHS tape and did not feel like busting out the unused VCR and hooking it up!

PS I have to get this in but my all time favorite game along with my all time favorite Flyer's goal was game two of the finals vs Boston when Clarkie scored in OT. I know it's playoffs but had to get it in.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
I'm young, only 22 years old.

There are in my mind first:

Shootout against Rangers in 2010.
Lost to Jets 8-7, but oh my, so much goals.
Jagr and his first goal for us.
Giroux OT winner against Blackhawks (snipe)
Firing Haktard
Hart's debut

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013

MSE, is there by any chance a surviving archive or series of PDF's/docs with the text/info contained in those MASSIVE GDTs you used to put together for each team's history vs the Flyers? circa 2012-13 was when I joined and I first read them.
I would love to view those again but I have not been able to find them since the purge.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
MSE, is there by any chance a surviving archive or series of PDF's/docs with the text/info contained in those MASSIVE GDTs you used to put together for each team's history vs the Flyers? circa 2012-13 was when I joined and I first read them.
I would love to view those again but I have not been able to find them since the purge.

Much of that info was lost during the migration on these boards. I have about a dozen or so that remain. Thank you for the acknowledgment but we tried to do a search-and-recover but the body was never located.

Last edited:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Thanks MSE for the info. I have the service and game on a VHS tape and did not feel like busting out the unused VCR and hooking it up!

PS I have to get this in but my all time favorite game along with my all time favorite Flyer's goal was game two of the finals vs Boston when Clarkie scored in OT. I know it's playoffs but had to get it in.

Best assist ever: MacLeish to send game 2 into OT.

I think the backup was in uniform for more than one game until Froese was healthy, at least how I recall it.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Much of that info was lost during the migration on these boards. I have about a dozen or so that remain. Thank you for the acknowledgment but we tried to do a search-and-recover but the body was never located.
A thousand sadfaces. Is there a way you would/could upload or publish the remaining ones online?

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
one that hasn’t been mentioned (I think)
Lindros as a rookie, and one of his first home games against Ottawa:
3 goals, 1 helper, 4 points, +4, 6 pims
Twas a peak at the beast he would become
Incredibly memorable game only because of the malaise of the few years before that.

phlflyer1

Oct 16, 2007
South Jersey
People have already brought up Darren Jensen and the Pelle Lindbergh memorial game that he won against the Oilers dynasty. Thinking back to that season, he also really stood out in a 48 save shutout on the road against a pretty good Saint Louis Blues team in early 1986.

Flyers History - Philadelphia Flyer Game Summary

The other thing that I remember about Jensen, after his career quickly fizzled out, is that he randomly popped up in some late 80's/early 90's hair loss infomercials. The article below makes mention about his early hair loss.

Backchecking: Darren Jensen - TheHockeyNews

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad