What is the single dumbest thing the NHL has done since the lockout?

Ttracer*

^^^

OT/ shootout is bad, guess im just a traditionalist, i miss being at ott/buffalo gaes going 6 periods

Bps21*

It would be faster to discuss what they've done right. I can't think of anything.

You know...in the post lockout year of 2005-06 Derek Roy had 81 points. Today we call those "Crosby numbers".

League is the biggest joke. Bettman TODAY said that the reason there are less penalties is that games are so close that no one wants to make a mistake. He said that out loud. Where people could hear him. Meanwhile grab whoever you want and hold them up. Unless you are playing the Habs no one will stop you.

But the answer really is the draft lottery. They are so afraid to reward the worst team that they now instead just reward the same team over and over.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
1) Hiring Chris Pronger to a job with the Department of Player Safety.

2) Hiring Chris Pronger to a job with the Department of Player Safety while he's still being paid by a team in the league.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Wonder if people will still complain about mandatory visors when they lose an important player to an eye injury right before a cup run.

Connor Mcdavey*

It would be faster to discuss what they've done right. I can't think of anything.

You know...in the post lockout year of 2005-06 Derek Roy had 81 points. Today we call those "Crosby numbers".

League is the biggest joke. Bettman TODAY said that the reason there are less penalties is that games are so close that no one wants to make a mistake. He said that out loud. Where people could hear him. Meanwhile grab whoever you want and hold them up. Unless you are playing the Habs no one will stop you.

But the answer really is the draft lottery. They are so afraid to reward the worst team that they now instead just reward the same team over and over.

I agreed with you until your last point. Do you know what odds are? Probabilities? Take a statistics course and really pay attention. Probabilities do not have any feelings, if you flip a coin 50 times and it lands on heads, the 51st could still just as likely be a heads, or a tails. It has no memory of what happened before the event, aka mutually exclusive. I'll be happy to help you better understand probabilities, because it looks like you think Gary Bettman stuck his hand in the lottery machine and hand chose the Oilers ping pong balls.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
1) Hiring Chris Pronger to a job with the Department of Player Safety.

2) Hiring Chris Pronger to a job with the Department of Player Safety while he's still being paid by a team in the league.

Number two is just a joke. If I was Philly, I'd strike him of my wage list.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Nothing comes even close to the lockout itself. Compared to '05-06, after that lockout where the whole season was gone, so many people I know came back to the NHL all fired up like they didn't really appreciate NHL hockey until it went away for a while. It actually got us more into the game than before. But after the most recent lockout it was completely different. Folks I know, huge fans who would drop near five figures annually on merch and tickets just said **** it and stopped watching or investing any attention or emotion at all. There was a group of over a dozen of us had tickets to watch Leafs and Red Wings games in Vancouver that never happened, and getting our money back was a huge hassle where we never saw a dime until well after the half-season was over, it was a disgrace. I can think of a good thirty people who were huge fans before and have just said to hell with pro hockey entirely ever since.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I agreed with you until your last point. Do you know what odds are? Probabilities? Take a statistics course and really pay attention. Probabilities do not have any feelings, if you flip a coin 50 times and it lands on heads, the 51st could still just as likely be a heads, or a tails. It has no memory of what happened before the event, aka mutually exclusive. I'll be happy to help you better understand probabilities, because it looks like you think Gary Bettman stuck his hand in the lottery machine and hand chose the Oilers ping pong balls.

funny how fans of 29 teams think there is something wrong but shockingly oilers fans don't

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

I think he's saying that a team who has finished last/won the lottery 3 times in 5 years shouldn't be allowed to win it again.

I think a limit of winning it only 1 time, when you aren't in last place, in 5 years is perfectly reasonable. I don't expect you or other Oilers fans to agree to that notion though for obvious reasons.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Number two is just a joke. If I was Philly, I'd strike him of my wage list.

Pronger is ltir so isn't it the insurance company that.pays him, not the flyers?

And it's not like he's ever going to play again for anyone anyways.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The USA channel isn't even a "second rate network." It's part of the package that cable subscribers pay for so they can access the channels they actually want to watch. It's a joke that the NHL is associating themselves with it. And before you go into the "but NBC is the parent company" thing, I work at an advertising agency that buys spots all the time. This particular channel is a freaking joke.

"That particular channel" has (and has had) some of the more compelling series on TV. Yes, most of the time, USA is just re-runs of L&O:SVU or NCIS, but they also have great programs like Sirens and Suits. They also had hits in the past, like Burn Notice and White Collar.

I don't see an issue with putting playoff games on a network that most of the country has access to. Hell, it's better than putting them on NHL Network.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
"That particular channel" has (and has had) some of the more compelling series on TV. Yes, most of the time, USA is just re-runs of L&O:SVU or NCIS, but they also have great programs like Sirens and Suits. They also had hits in the past, like Burn Notice and White Collar.

I don't see an issue with putting playoff games on a network that most of the country has access to. Hell, it's better than putting them on NHL Network.

I hope this is not upsetting but USA just cancelled sirens ( for good reason).

But I agree with you, outside of real nbc, usa network is the next best destination, except on Monday nights.

JWells16

Nov 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
As for my answer, it's definitely allowing the NHL get back to the amount of clutching and grabbing that stifles creativity and leads to the leading scorer having 80-something points.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
QC
I personally don't have many issues. Like other posters have said, the fact that it's on the NBC family means that more people can watch (Big Plus).

Shootouts makes sense to me as they are exciting and while they are a skill set, teams have 80 minutes prior to a shootout to end the game.

Outdoor games are genius, and while they may do a lot, teams like the 'Hawks, Pens, Red Wings will always get the big games, however it's nice for fans of the less popular teams to have the experience as well.

Jerseys? C'mon, this isn't a beauty contest. Does it really upset you when your team doesn't look as pretty as they did the year before?

BigBlueReg

Dec 5, 2014
England
The Edge jerseys are up there. It took THREE YEARS to develop, and this was the result:

Edmonton%2BOilers%2Bv%2BNew%2BJersey%2BDevils%2BxjlWenKPRHAl.jpg

It's taken, what, nine years to fix the mistakes? The teams that have yet to correct their original Edge redesign (I'm looking at you, Pittsburgh) still stand out.

Are the Edge jerseys the ones with that piping up to the collar? Were there any without the piping?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Disappointed, but not surprised. It was a good show, but you could get the feeling that its ratings simply weren't up to par.

it obviously had leary's hands on it and it just came off as a sitcom version of rescue me. more like a cross between rescue me and community ( i just threw up a little)

I am looking forward to his sex drugs and rock and roll ( I think it's on FX, he stars but I'm not sure if he directs as well) and the upcoming project that was green lit about hockey fans.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Reebok Edge is up there, but that has fixed itself for the most part.

Signing an exclusive TV contract with NBC in the US is also up there. Meanwhile the other three leagues are all over TV. Everything the NHL has done TV-related has been pretty bad. I mean they started on the OLN channel lol.

I see nothing wrong with that move now. It did seem a bit odd for hockey to be on OLN at first, but ESPN didn't offer them much after the 2004-05 lockout anyway. OLN offered a much better deal. The best part of that deal was that hockey became the flagship product for that channel and still is for it's current NBCSN avatar, instead of being treated like a pariah under ESPN (one can only imagine how even poorly the sport would've been treated had it gone back to ESPN for less money). Now, I could be happier with a better team of announcers and reduced EC bias in broadcasting, but I'm already very happy with more games per week on the national network than it ever was with ESPN and more hockey-related shows.

Yes, thank goodness for OLN/VS/NBCSN.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad