What is the single dumbest thing the NHL has done since the lockout?

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Well not sure when t he timing was on these but.....

1) Detroit in the east......not so much against Detroit, more against leaving Chicago as the only original 6 team in the west, and taking that rivalry away from the fans. Why not Nashville instead of Detroit???

2) Divisional playoffs......ask Chicago and Nashville ( no I am not a Hawks or Preds fan), they just should meet later on

3) Salaries not being tied to salary cap as a percentage.....cap drops 10%, So should player salary instead of forcing teams into cap trouble.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

1) Detroit in the east......not so much against Detroit, more against leaving Chicago as the only original 6 team in the west, and taking that rivalry away from the fans. Why not Nashville instead of Detroit???

2) Divisional playoffs......ask Chicago and Nashville ( no I am not a Hawks or Preds fan), they just should meet later on

3) Salaries not being tied to salary cap as a percentage.....cap drops 10%, So should player salary instead of forcing teams into cap trouble.

Or, you know, having it be just Columbus that went east instead of both Columbus or Detroit.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
If you want to incentive regulation wins, get rid of ot and shootout. 3 for a win 1 for a tie.

Adding gimmicks is always a terrible option.

Oh ya, gonna add the lottery. What a joke. Pick where you place.

Getting rid of OT would be so stupid when you consider that OT and shootouts are popular among casual fans.

And the draft lottery is great to allow middling teams the first pick. It's not fair those teams had no chance at the top pick before.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Reebok Edge is up there, but that has fixed itself for the most part.

Signing an exclusive TV contract with NBC in the US is also up there. Meanwhile the other three leagues are all over TV. Everything the NHL has done TV-related has been pretty bad. I mean they started on the OLN channel lol.

OLN/VS/NBC Sports has treated hockey with respect

NHL got a good deal and I would take what we get now over the ESPN2 nonsense that ESPN offered

And NHL is better off exclusive NBC deal then having lesser NBC deal + lesser secondary deal

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
Getting rid of OT would be so stupid when you consider that OT and shootouts are popular among casual fans.

And the draft lottery is great to allow middling teams the first pick. It's not fair those teams had no chance at the top pick before.

Ot and shootout during regular season is popular among no one. Absolutely no one. Unless of course you have a link to some poll of "casual fans" that states otherwise.

Draft lottery is beyond stupid. Pick where you place. Hockey has become such a joke.

terranraida

#RyanGetzlafIsASaint
Feb 27, 2014
Richmond, VA
The shootout takes it for me. It was fun for a while, now it's really annoying that a skills competition decides who wins the game. I don't understand why teams that go at least to OT are guaranteed a loser point.

How are you gonna be mad at that when you literally have 2 of the best shoot out guys in the league? Kuznetsov and Backstrom have the skills to win every shoot out.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Ot and shootout during regular season is popular among no one. Absolutely no one. Unless of course you have a link to some poll of "casual fans" that states otherwise.

Argument From Ignorance or Appeal To The Stone. Look these up.

Draft lottery is beyond stupid. Pick where you place. Hockey has become such a joke.

Fair opinion to have, but if you're bringing down the entire sport because of the draft lottery, it seems a little excessive, no?

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
I'm going to say letting the Stadium Series turn the Winter Classic from a major event into something that just happens.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
they fixed the problem of the Oilers drafting 1st overall 2 times by changing the lottery so that the Oilers could draft 1st overall 4 times. When you see something like this happen it really makes you wonder, are these guys who are making these decisions really just a bunch of idiots?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Not suspending Matt Cooke for his (for all intents and purposes career ending) hit on Marc Savard. It's a rather small scale thing and very specific but if we are talking sheer stupidity that might take the cake for me.

And I don't want to hear "there wasn't a rule against what Cooke did then" nonsense, it's called intent to injure and chicken winging somebody in the temple from the blindside is the literal definition of that. They enabled his behavior.

It's retrospective but they had opportunities to get out ahead of this whole "head injury" movement that is sweeping through sports and they didn't do it.

Cooperalls

Oiler Fan!!!
Oct 5, 2010
they fixed the problem of the Oilers drafting 1st overall 2 times by changing the lottery so that the Oilers could draft 1st overall 4 times. When you see something like this happen it really makes you wonder, are these guys who are making these decisions really just a bunch of idiots?

Are you saying it was fixed, or are you saying a race to tank and finish last is a better method?

bobbyt911

The Rogers TV contract.

I don't know what's with the NHL and giving all the national rights to one broadcaster.
I don't like the new tv deal at all either

Are you saying it was fixed, or are you saying a race to tank and finish last is a better method?

we all know that the OIlers are going to win 1st overall every year, they should change their logo to a golden horseshoe

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Shooutouts and ROW

Hey guys, let's have you play for the 2nd point in a shootout. Ohhh but it's a shootout though. Aww gee if one of you had won it a few minutes ago it would've helped in a tiebreaker at the end of the season because it's based on record wins regulation or overtime. Well shucks just have fun boys!

Absolute bull

Honorable mention goes to the new divisional playoff format.

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.

I see where you're coming from, but if your boss came in and said "we need to reduce costs by 10%", are you going to be happy giving up 10% of your paycheck?

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011

I'm saying whatever they were trying to fix wasn't fixed. It was made worse. They popped the hood on a car that was idling a little rough and started pulling connectors and hoses apart until it wouldnt start anymore. Very stupid.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
It hasn't happened yet, but if they stop going to the Olympics….then that.

Honourable mention to 'Young Guns' and 'Mixed Bag of Europeans' teams for World Cup.

Cooperalls

Oiler Fan!!!
Oct 5, 2010
I'm saying whatever they were trying to fix wasn't fixed. It was made worse. They popped the hood on a car that was idling a little rough and started pulling connectors and hoses apart until it wouldnt start anymore. Very stupid.

How would you fix it?

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Shooutouts and ROW

Hey guys, let's have you play for the 2nd point in a shootout. Ohhh but it's a shootout though. Aww gee if one of you had won it a few minutes ago it would've helped in a tiebreaker at the end of the season because it's based on record wins regulation or overtime. Well shucks just have fun boys!

Absolute bull

Honorable mention goes to the new divisional playoff format.

Why is this a bad thing? The league wants to make regulation and OT wins more meaningful than shootout wins and rightfully so.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Why is this a bad thing? The league wants to make regulation and OT wins more meaningful than shootout wins and rightfully so.

It is a bad thing cause if the league really wanted to make them more meaningful they would make the points for OT and regulation wins more meaningful.

seasontixholder*

Where does everyone begin with this. Lots!

Keeping Arizona in Arizona.
Shootouts worth the same amount of points as regular wins.
Having Shootouts (Games should not be decided by a skills competition)
14 west and 16 east
Bettman still the commissioner

AND

The worst one of all. Letting Rogers have that contract. It's killing hockey.

Repe

Feb 26, 2012
They called interference same way only first couple of years after the lockout. After that things have gone worse year after year.
So I would say loosening up the referiing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad