What is the single dumbest thing the NHL has done since the lockout?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Not sure if all of these were implemented post lock out but...

Instigator penalty.

Puck over the Glass Penalty.

Mandatory visor.

Penalty for taking helmet off during fighting.

Department of Player Safety

They all seem reasonable to me.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
2nd Lockout

Trapezoid

Shootout

Mandatory Visors

Guardian Project

Re-aligning the divisions/implementing the wild card teams

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Zero tolerance on obstruction then letting it revert. We need to go back to ZT so that marginal players that have difficulty skating and playing hockey are sent back to whence they came.

Agreed with this.

The Art Ross trophy winner having less than 90 point, the lowest in like 60 years is simply wrong.

The NBA altered the way games are officiated to boost scoring, the NHL should do the same.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
A shootout win is still a win you get a W and 2 points. People here can trash the shootout all they want but it was added for a reason and is still around for a reason. Hockey cant go on and on and on in the regular season until someone scores. Basketball doesn't have 3 point contests because Basketball games don't go to overtime as much as hockey games and when they do they don't require 2nd overtimes that much.

I'm aware of all of that, my point is is the shootout is a skills competition that simply decides the 3rd point. I would prefer ties because there are no 3-pt games involved, but I also realize they aren't coming back so the league needs to fix the unbalanced point system.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
People are that upset by the Guardian Project? It wasn't a big deal. It had nothing to do with the on-ice product.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
And a lot of people don't see shootouts as a win or a loss.

It's like deciding a basketball game by having a 3-pt contest.

I think the same for even winning or losing in the OT session. 4 on 4 OT, and the shootout is both gimmicky as far as I'm concerned.

That being said, I have no problem with either of them, and enjoy both.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I think the same for even winning or losing in the OT session. 4 on 4 OT, and the shootout is both gimmicky as far as I'm concerned.

That being said, I have no problem with either of them, and enjoy both.

From a pure entertainment standpoint, 4-4 ot and shootouts are entertaining. From a structural standpoint, the system is flawed.

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
1. The Rogers Deal
2. Stopped calling PPs like the first couple of years
3. RBK trash Edge
4. The other lockout

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
From a pure entertainment standpoint, 4-4 ot and shootouts are entertaining. From a structural standpoint, the system is flawed.

Agreed. Definitely not a fan of lumping OT and shootout wins in with regulation wins, but differentiating the value of OT and shootout losses with regulation losses. Simply put imo, the three point system is needed in order to incentivize regulation wins.

And I don't want to see the "it hurts the parity" argument either. The standings wouldn't be much different if you applied this format to this season for example.

PS: don't take the last sentence as me calling you out Clowe Me. It's just that I see that argument often from the 3 point system detractors.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Why do people hate divisional playoffs so much? The NHL made it to create more competition and parity in the league. Specifically during the post-season.

I can understand that people wouldn't like it because their team gets unfavorable match ups in the playoffs, but as far as it being the single dumbest thing the league has done? I think there's other things listed in this thread that are worse than that.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Negotiating TV deals and handling of teams TV contracts.

This. The blackouts are ridiculous. If I buy gamecenter, and don't live in the Philly market, I should be able to watch Flyers games on GameCenter!

The problem is, my location is considered to be in the Philly market. Despite that, I don't get access to CSN Philadelphia.

Hell there was one time, when the Devils were playing the Flyers, and the game was on NBCSN. The game wasn't on the Devils regional network MSG+, and the only way I could watch it was on NBCSN. However, because it was still on the Flyers regional network, it got blacked out. So I couldn't watch my own team in my own damn market all because I'm too "close" to the Philly market.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
A lot of good responses so far. I'll throw in severing their relationship with HBO for Road to the Winter Classic, if only for losing Liev Schreiber doing the narration.

The Road to the WC and SS this year were better than the Leafs/Wings on HBO. They were getting worse every year with HBO

The new division format and not reseeding in the playoffs

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Sean Avery rule is pretty knew jerk.

Let guys be dumb enough to face the goalie and take pucks to the unprotected areas. And to do it because of one guy?

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Putting playoff games on USA network in the states is up there for me. I can't be the only one who had a "what the hell is this" reaction.

Huh? Do you object to that network in particular or to the idea of putting the other playoff games on (god forbid) a second rate cable network.

Eitherway, I dont get it. More games = good for everyone. And if you dont have USA or CNBC, no way in hell you get NBCSN or NHL network anyway.

Having another lockout and almost losing another season.

This. End of thread. No way any rule change even comes close.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
Huh? Do you object to that network in particular or to the idea of putting the other playoff games on (god forbid) a second rate cable network.

Eitherway, I dont get it. More games = good for everyone. And if you dont have USA or CNBC, no way in hell you get NBCSN or NHL network anyway.

This. End of thread. No way any rule change even comes close.

The USA channel isn't even a "second rate network." It's part of the package that cable subscribers pay for so they can access the channels they actually want to watch. It's a joke that the NHL is associating themselves with it. And before you go into the "but NBC is the parent company" thing, I work at an advertising agency that buys spots all the time. This particular channel is a freaking joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad