What is the single dumbest thing the NHL has done since the lockout?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Let the Oilers win the draft lottery. :shakehead

Well at least you know it isn't rigged. Even Bettman was taken back for a split second when they announced EDM had won. :laugh:

For me though, it's shoot outs. Don't like how it determines an extra point. If they're going to keep them -- Fine. But at least make 10 minutes of 3 on 3 before hand. The amount of games that would then end in OT would probably shoot up to a very high percentage.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
A lot of good responses so far. I'll throw in severing their relationship with HBO for Road to the Winter Classic, if only for losing Liev Schreiber doing the narration.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
The big fuss over the Olympics.

If I was in the NHL and had a chance to go play for my nation I would. Assuming I've made enough to live a comfy life. 'Retire' from hockey and go play for my country.

Let NHL players play or ban all professional hockey players and only allow amateurs to play. I'm good with either.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
There have been many.

-The lack of enforcing obstruction and how it seems to change year to year because someone upstairs thinks it needs to be tinkered with every single year, depending on what point in the season we're in. Now here we are in yet another DPE.

-Instigator rules in the playoffs being turned over. What's the point of a rule if it can be broken at will. Enforce it!

-The Rogers monopoly. Greed at it's finest. A company that already makes billions by ripping off phone customers and their own TV service, yeah lets give them the games exclusively under the guise of growing the game. BS.

-The Sean Avery rule. First of all I don't agree with the rule. If a player wants to face the goaltender, thereby pretty much taking himself out of the play, that's his choice. But the NHL implemented a rule the very next day banning it. Yet when it comes to actual important things like player safety, there has to be committees, agreements with the league/PA and meetings held over a long length of time just to get new rules implemented. Yet when it's something that annoys the NHL, they can do it whenever they please.

-Lack of disciplining on various plays due to the fact it might be a star player in the playoffs. Mandating that ref shoudl be putting the whistles away come playoff time.

-Not doing anything with the oilers drafting 1st overall 4/6 years. Now the most marketable player since Crosby goes to literally the most undeserving team. Garbage.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Reebok Edge is up there, but that has fixed itself for the most part.

Signing an exclusive TV contract with NBC in the US is also up there. Meanwhile the other three leagues are all over TV. Everything the NHL has done TV-related has been pretty bad. I mean they started on the OLN channel lol.

you know ESPN offered the NHL $0, right? OLN offered, well, quite a bit more than $0.

and rbk sucked then, and they suck now.

lol

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
The last lockout was probably one of the most embarrassing things in sports history.

It was supposed to just be a negotiation of money and fixing contract rules, and we ended up losing half a season and a ton of revenue from it.

Donald Fehr should never be allowed to be involved in negotiations again.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
One thing that has also bothered me is how the league has handled player safety. How a guy like Matt Cooke is still allowed to play in this league is beyond me. So many incidents of knee on knee, cheapshots, and concussions. Its just mind mindbogglingly stupid :shakehead. They really need to get their act together imo.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
There have been many.

-The lack of enforcing obstruction and how it seems to change year to year because someone upstairs thinks it needs to be tinkered with every single year, depending on what point in the season we're in. Now here we are in yet another DPE.

-Instigator rules in the playoffs being turned over. What's the point of a rule if it can be broken at will. Enforce it!

-The Rogers monopoly. Greed at it's finest. A company that already makes billions by ripping off phone customers and their own TV service, yeah lets give them the games exclusively under the guise of growing the game. BS.

-The Sean Avery rule. First of all I don't agree with the rule. If a player wants to face the goaltender, thereby pretty much taking himself out of the play, that's his choice. But the NHL implemented a rule the very next day banning it. Yet when it comes to actual important things like player safety, there has to be committees, agreements with the league/PA and meetings held over a long length of time just to get new rules implemented. Yet when it's something that annoys the NHL, they can do it whenever they please.

-Lack of disciplining on various plays due to the fact it might be a star player in the playoffs. Mandating that ref shoudl be putting the whistles away come playoff time.

-Not doing anything with the oilers drafting 1st overall 4/6 years. Now the most marketable player since Crosby goes to literally the most undeserving team. Garbage.

A cap on 1st overall picks should be implemented imo. The league has been changing the draft system over the course of the past couple years because of the way things have shaken up with the Oilers in the past (among other things that have happened). Now the league got screwed by their own system and theres serious negative buzz surrounding (outside of Edmonton of course). All could've been avoided with one simple change.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
The Edge jerseys are up there. It took THREE YEARS to develop, and this was the result:

Edmonton%2BOilers%2Bv%2BNew%2BJersey%2BDevils%2BxjlWenKPRHAl.jpg

It's taken, what, nine years to fix the mistakes? The teams that have yet to correct their original Edge redesign (I'm looking at you, Pittsburgh) still stand out.

kodoshin

Mar 26, 2007
Putting playoff games on USA network in the states is up there for me. I can't be the only one who had a "what the hell is this" reaction.

I'm not so sure what's so bad about this. It's one of the most commonly carried cable channels in the country.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
1. NHL national broadcasting rights to Rogers (still missing TSN badly!)

2. Financially crippling the city of Glendale, AZ to keep the Coyotes around to lose even more money.

3. Puck over the glass resulting in a penalty.

4. The guardian project.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Going back to letting every player get away with obstruction. You had guys like Crosby and Ovechkin breaking into the league back in that small window when obstruction was called and the NHL thrived because of it. Then it just stopped getting called. And now that it gets called so little it has led to many of the calls being made not actually being penalties in the first place. Most obstruction calls that are actually called today are guys grabbing down on opponents sticks with their arms and selling the call. It's terrible to watch.

Eichel and McDavid are going to break into the league this season and the NHL is squandering the ability to re create what Crosby and Ovechkin brought to the game when they first broke in. Plus you know... those guys still play and are still the best in the game and it would be great to see them score 120+ again.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
And a lot of people don't see shootouts as a win or a loss.

It's like deciding a basketball game by having a 3-pt contest.

A shootout win is still a win you get a W and 2 points. People here can trash the shootout all they want but it was added for a reason and is still around for a reason. Hockey cant go on and on and on in the regular season until someone scores. Basketball doesn't have 3 point contests because Basketball games don't go to overtime as much as hockey games and when they do they don't require 2nd overtimes that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad