What is the highest priority for the rest of the offseason?

What would you do?

• Total voters

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
He is signed until 25-26 so that isn't an issue.

I think he is overpaid and spoiled. He also is miles ahead of any center they have not named Bergeron. He makes them better. DeBrusk, Gryz, Studnicka, Vakk, 2 first and you make them take Moore. Cap almost washes and you have a top 6 that is dangerous.
Maybe that would do it. I don't know.

My mother always said (and she was always right) "Don't put all of your eggs into one basket " There has to be more than one answer/ option.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
It's still a top 6W and top 4D. The Bruins can get away with a Hall - Coyle/Studnicka - X 2nd line if the player on the right wing is better than Smith. That's why Garland would've been perfect.

I don't know where Forbort will play. I've seen some here put him on the 3rd pairing. How much better is Forbort than Lauzon on the 3rd pairing especially at $3M? The defense last year was not good enough in the playoffs. Sweeney decided to bring everyone back and overpay for a player that could be playing on their bottom pairing on defense.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
I don't think they even have the cap space to do so right now.

i think Bergy's last deal could be team friendly. But if you move one 3M guy I think you've got nearly 24m in space to get your 3 guys signed plus bring up a few prospects.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
i think Bergy's last deal could be team friendly. But if you move one 3M guy I think you've got nearly 24m in space to get your 3 guys signed plus bring up a few prospects.
Bergeron, McAvoy, DeBrusk, Frederic, Lazar, Blidh, Kuhlman, and Zboril are up for contracts next season (Bergeorn, Lazar, and Blidh the only UFAs). That gives the Bruins around $19.5M to play with. Now it depends if the Bruins can move DeBrusk, Moore, Wagner, etc., but there's a good chance McAvoy will take almost half of that cap space.

In my opinion, yes the Bruins can re-sign Bergeron and McAvoy, but there is very little cap room for improving the roster.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Maybe that would do it. I don't know.

My mother always said (and she was always right) "Don't put all of your eggs into one basket " There has to be more than one answer/ option.
I agree but Sweeney has painted himself into a corner. There is no one decent left in free agency that would be even a serviceable 2 center. Dvorak and Strome's names are out there but neither one really does much for me and the cost could be high.

Eichel is a huge risk for a number of reasons, attitude, how will that attitude effect Hall, is he close to healthy or is he going to be done in a few years due to injury. There are a lot of red flags with him, which is why I would not deal any established high end players off the roster for him. Picks, prospects and some depth players like Gryz or the Bruins question mark in DeBrusk are a worthwhile gamble.

Oh I also agree 1000% on the need for a tough defenseman, the best bet is Ty Lewington not Forbort turning into Miller or McQuaid. Absolutely would keep him the team over Zboril.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I think it will be situational like @PlayMakers mentioned. Gryz and Forbort will probably rotate throughout the game depending on the circumstances. If we need to defend or hold a lead you put Forbort out and if you're behind a goal and need some spark you put Gryz with McAvoy.
I don't disagree that will happen nor that it isn't the best option to do with what they currently have.

That said it would have been nice to just get a minutes eating guy that could be trusted in both spots. 1 6M defenseman instead of 2 3M defenseman.

At this point it is what it is, and we'll see how it turns out. I have a feeling the Bruins like what they have back there... As they seem to be pretty high ok Grzelyck.

What they need is both 2C and 1LD, and unless by miracle someone breaks out or they make a hockey trade, I think it's going to be tough.

Given what contracts they gave out, if anyone breaks out, we have tough contracts to move.

Forgot could end up being another Moore contract if Zboril or Vaak make it as a regular. Ullmark becomes a 5M backup if Swayman breaks out. People act like these are easy contracts to move, but if they do work out they just end up being another Moore on the roster.

Anyways, I think a trade has to be coming, and if it isn't, Sweeney kinda took away many options in future years when he had a ton of cap space.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I don't see any trades (that affect the roster) coming.

Coyle as 2c has been Sweeney's plan since he signed that contract. They never intended to replace Gryz in the top pair, only Reilly, and that plan fell through. Ullmark is the stop gap until Swayman realizes his potential.

This is the team we're going to start the season with.
Well I hope they can pull it together.

GO BRUINS !

Reactions: PlayMakers

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Now hear me out. What if they wait until the trade deadline. Then add a second line centre for pennies on the dollar. This gives time for debrusk to play and be worth something(which I’m sure he will.) bottom feeders are forced to dump players to gain assets right. This is a solid playoff team IMO. I can see this team placing any where between 1 and 4 in the east as is. Then just fill the only remaining hole at the trade deadline.

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
I like the player, but what is the cost to acquire today as opposed to two weeks ago.

I doubt it's the same.
It makes you wonder if the Bruins purposely leaking that Krejci was sure to resign, to be distributed to the public by lower-end, not-so-privy "insiders" who don't know any better, was a deliberate attempt at indirectly influencing negotiations involving alternative centers, maybe even in FA.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
It makes you wonder if the Bruins purposely leaking that Krejci was sure to resign, to be distributed to the public by lower-end, not-so-privy "insiders" who don't know any better, was a deliberate attempt at indirectly influencing negotiations involving alternative centers, maybe even in FA.

Sure seems to fit, doesn't it.

kjpm

Sponsor
May 28, 2011

Coyle as 2c has been Sweeney's plan since he signed that contract. They never intended to replace Gryz in the top pair, only Reilly, and that plan fell through. Ullmark is the stop gap until Swayman realizes his potential.

I've been saying this as well. They're paying Coyle the 2C money they have allocated under this salary structure, they're going to play him at 2C, at least to start the year. Pretty sure this has been their plan ever since they extended him.

I think they'll move DeBrusk if they find a deal they like, not sure it'll be for a roster player though. Maybe they hold onto him if they can't find a worthwhile deal to try to rebuild some value.

Also I'd be surprised if they move any futures out at this point. I think we're back on the "retool" path unless the team surprises this year...

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Sounds about right. Could see them revisiting Dvorak if Studnicka doesn't pan out by the deadline.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Now hear me out. What if they wait until the trade deadline. Then add a second line centre for pennies on the dollar. This gives time for debrusk to play and be worth something(which I’m sure he will.) bottom feeders are forced to dump players to gain assets right. This is a solid playoff team IMO. I can see this team placing any where between 1 and 4 in the east as is. Then just fill the only remaining hole at the trade deadline.

Im not sure they should be buyers anymore. Even if they are in a good spot at the deadline, it feels like this team should be focused on adding young high end talent.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Need an option to clean house in the front office and bring in some competent people. That's the only way it's going to get better...
Well the next group will likely have some high end first round picks to build with - either from this group's collapse or with the honeymoon they get.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad