What is the highest priority for the rest of the offseason?

What would you do?

• Total voters

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Several big holes now. I will assume Smitty is penciled in by the GM for 2RW, so that hole is probably just in my mind. The 2C is the biggest issue, although D is pretty big as well. I worry about Hall being on a line without a legit 2C because I fear he will get frustrated on a 2nd line with two 3rd line talents. Hall hasn't exactly been Mr. Motivated when he gets frustrated. Smitty also needs a legit 2C if he is going to play 2RW. He has never played a full season at 2RW. Not sure how he will hold up at that spot, especially with 3rd liners playing 2C. He's great at 3RW while doing some spot work at 2RW when needed. It's uncharted territory for him to go a full season at 2RW with a substandard 2C. His production may actually take a hit this season without a real 2C but real 2nd line matchups.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I voted "other." I would start selling some of the vets. Bergeron would fetch a nice return, for starters. If this team isn't bringing in a comparable 2nd line center to Krejci then they won't be contending for anything other than the honor of hosting a few playoff games before they get bounced. You might as well rebuild.

However, there are a few issues with that:
1. I don't see Sweeney and Neely doing that because if the team misses the playoffs then they could be fired.
2. Even if they did rebuild and sell off pieces, they have done nothing to warrant trust that they will execute the rebuild. They absolutely butchered the retool in 2015 and 2016 with asinine trades, free agents signings, and 1st round draft selections (minus McAvoy). A rebuild is significantly harder than a retool.

I would still rather they rebuild as they'd at least get something for Bergeron as opposed to him possibly retiring and walking away for nothing.

Reactions: Knox Harrington

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Highest priority is for me to choke out the last little remaining bit of hope I had for "one more run". To finally bury it.

I don't even think the team is bad enough to even look forward to a nice high draft pick next summer. We're officially a less physically intimidating Montreal Canadiens. What a shame.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Highest priority is for me to choke out the last little remaining bit of hope I had for "one more run". To finally bury it.

I don't even think the team is bad enough to even look forward to a nice high draft pick next summer. We're officially a less physically intimidating Montreal Canadiens. What a shame.
upload_2021-7-31_8-33-26.jpeg

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I voted "other." I would start selling some of the vets. Bergeron would fetch a nice return, for starters. If this team isn't bringing in a comparable 2nd line center to Krejci then they won't be contending for anything other than the honor of hosting a few playoff games before they get bounced. You might as well rebuild.

1. I don't see Sweeney and Neely doing that because if the team misses the playoffs then they could be fired.
2. Even if they did rebuild and sell off pieces, they have done nothing to warrant trust that they will execute the rebuild. They absolutely butchered the retool in 2015 and 2016 with asinine trades, free agents signings, and 1st round draft selections (minus McAvoy). A rebuild is significantly harder than a retool.

I would still rather they rebuild as they'd at least get something for Bergeron as opposed to him possibly retiring and walking away for nothing.
They are not going to rebuild when they committed to all these players on rfa signing time. Sweeney or Neely are not going to admit they screwed up.

I agree they need a 2c and ld to even make an attempt at the finals. It is a little hard to do with no top assets or cap space to acquire these players. The other teams know your back is against the wall so they are not going to give up much for under achievers or unproven talent.

I do not see good times ahead.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

They will NOT be selling Bergy. Good Lord...

I hope someone will fit into that second center position. Time will tell if there is any good chemistry with all of the new players acquired. I do think the Bs picked up some help for the forwards. Let's see how it plays out.

IMO the #1 hole is the D. Need a big strong enforcer type player. I really don't want to watch other teams crushing our top players only to see no one will do anything. That will lose games and players for the Bs. This is a huge hole IMO.

It seems like the Bs are looking good for net minding.

Who knows but getting rid of Bergy is NOT the answer.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Highest priority should be to replace DK, but given how Sweeney went on a spending spree to replace the bottom of the roster, they have no flexibility. So what you see is what you get, sadly. Time to blow up the front office and replace those morons with people who are competent.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Highest priority should be to replace DK, but given how Sweeney went on a spending spree to replace the bottom of the roster, they have no flexibility. So what you see is what you get, sadly. Time to blow up the front office and replace those morons with people who are competent.
What was the thinking leading up to the free agent signing day?
It’s ok we have plenty of centers on the team??

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I firmly believe the rumors out there that DK informed the team weeks ago, which makes his lack of addressing that during the signings all that more troubling. Such a shitbag job, but hey I get it. We're all morons and didn't go to Harvard, so we clearly don't have the brain power to grasp that you don't need a good second line center and can virtually plug anyone in there. It's all plug and play...

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I firmly believe the rumors out there that DK informed the team weeks ago, which makes his lack of addressing that during the signings all that more troubling. Such a shitbag job, but hey I get it. We're all morons and didn't go to Harvard, so we clearly don't have the brain power to grasp that you don't need a good second line center and can virtually plug anyone in there. It's all plug and play...
Plus the fact that they used all of the money. Left nothing for in season acquisitions. I don’t think he’s got anymore transactions in this off-season. There’s no creativity.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Yeah I’m in the “new management” corner. I’m so tired of watching these guys find new ways to f*** it up. Replace Neely with Gorton and go from there. Gorton has full control and can build his group the way he sees fit.

Only ones I keep around are Axelsson and Evan Gold. Start fresh with basically everyone else unless Gorton feels differently and thinks who we have are good but the execution from the top has been bad.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Were there many quality centers to be had ? I mean I wouldn't pay that position more than our top line.

I don't like everything that they did (management) but they did address the goalie situation nicely IMO.

They also fixed the 3d and 4th line issues pretty well (we will see once they start playing). Everyone bitched about those two lines (rightfully so) all of last season.

My biggest issue is on D.

I have some hope that a current player (or newly acquired) will be able to play second center . There are so many new players. I will be interested to see how the chemistry plays out.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
These morons are not capable of utilizing a thinking process to see what is really needed. I am sure DK told them in advance that he was leaving, so they go out and blow all the cap space and do not address the two main issues.

What a management team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad