What is Ivan Provorov

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong. Its 7 forwards and 3 D to maximize the protections?

If MDZ isn't resigned, who else do you protect on D?

Ghost & Gudas are locks
Provorov is not eligible.

We all know Hextall isn't going to protect less players and we know he's not going to waste it.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
With no additions, it's Manning. By default. But you would hope Hextall gets a little creative with that spot.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I just don't think we will know until he starts making some trades. We have a logjam (and by "log" I mean the kind you pinch off and flush) at D and will have to turn that into assets at some point from here on out. The roster freeze is in two days, I think, and after Christmas we might see some movement (and by "movement" I mean the kind that comes from your bowels, to complete the metaphor.) We'll have to see if we have a new player to protect or not.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
With no additions, it's Manning. By default. But you would hope Hextall gets a little creative with that spot.

Sure, but we went into this year with the assumption MDZ was going to use that spot because he would be resigned, he looks like he's going to be on another team next year.

As of right now, he's getting protected.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I just don't think we will know until he starts making some trades. We have a logjam (and by "log" I mean the kind you pinch off and flush) at D and will have to turn that into assets at some point from here on out. The roster freeze is in two days, I think, and after Christmas we might see some movement (and by "movement" I mean the kind that comes from your bowels, to complete the metaphor.) We'll have to see if we have a new player to protect or not.

I don't see any way shape or form, that Hextall adds a Dman to protect, we need to remove them.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I don't see any way shape or form, that Hextall adds a Dman to protect, we need to remove them.

I can't see it either, but Tripod and some others have been saying that we could use a vet presence back there, and it makes some sense, especially if MDZ is one of the ones moved out in trade. Nothing long-term or expensive, and we need to focus on that 3C if we are doing anything, but maybe some kind of throw-in on an MDZ+ trade.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

The choices are protect Manning or MacDonald....and neither would be taken in expansion, and 1 we hope and pray would be. They absolutely have wiggle room to look to acquire a underrated d man before the expansion draft, or to get a pick by helping a team with a contract even. All the other depth d men are gone after the season anyway, so no one needs removing for expansion.

I do think there's a chance Manning is just protected given how gaga they are over AMac's recent play and he too will reach the requirement soon. I just think that this is the perfect time to do some diligence and treat that 3rd slot for what it is: an asset.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It would be pretty disappointing if Hextall wasted a protection spot on Manning. Not because he's a bad player but as stated above that spot should be treated as an asset.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There will be time after the season to make a trade for a third dman worth protecting.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They should look to acquire a dman to protect that would fit in well with next seasons group which will likely include Morin and Sanheim.

They can than scratch Manning and demote MacDonald to Lehigh.

Ghost
Gudas
Provorov
Morin
Sanheim
Acquired Defensemen

Would be our top 6

We should make a list of all possible D targets

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
They should look to acquire a dman to protect that would fit in well with next seasons group which will likely include Morin and Sanheim.

They can than scratch Manning and demote MacDonald to Lehigh.

Ghost
Gudas
Provorov
Morin
Sanheim
Acquired Defensemen

Would be our top 6

We should make a list of all possible D targets

Is Josh Manson righthanded? He might do the trick (if he is RH - I can't remember), but they'd probably hold our hands over the fire and demand something we don't want to part with. They are bound to lose someone good in the ED. Minnesota as well. Can we package MDZ and Neuvy for a serviceable 3C and RHD? Probably need to add for that, maybe add a lot lol. I'm just thinking out loud.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Is Josh Manson righthanded? He might do the trick (if he is RH - I can't remember), but they'd probably hold our hands over the fire and demand something we don't want to part with. They are bound to lose someone good in the ED. Minnesota as well. Can we package MDZ and Neuvy for a serviceable 3C and RHD? Probably need to add for that, maybe add a lot lol. I'm just thinking out loud.

Probably not for someone like Manson. Signed for next season too and making peanuts.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Probably not for someone like Manson. Signed for next season too and making peanuts.

I was thinking if we could put a package together where we get that D man and the 3C in the same deal. I think it's probably asking too much though, or at least I can't think of a good deal to be had that is cheap enough to suit us. I just really don't want to even contemplate giving up Sanheim, Morin or Myers - better to wait out the forward prospects in that case.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I was thinking if we could put a package together where we get that D man and the 3C in the same deal. I think it's probably asking too much though, or at least I can't think of a good deal to be had that is cheap enough to suit us. I just really don't want to even contemplate giving up Sanheim, Morin or Myers - better to wait out the forward prospects in that case.

The Ducks would probably want a player that's exempt from the draft. So a good prospect would have to go back. Ducks fans are pretty high on Manson.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
One-for-one? Definitely. Anaheim could get more than Hagg for him.

Yeah haha. Hexy would do that so easily it's not funny.

Hagg's absolute upside is probably not even Manson, who is basically their Gudas but a bit better in the d-zone and a bit worse in the o-zone. They aren't trading a known 25 year old shutdown d man who has great chemistry with Lindholm for a 22 year old AHL mystery box with questionable value. Plus dat truculence. My guess is they would want something legit that we wouldn't want to give up.

Let me put it this way: if Morin realistically ended up the player Manson is, some stylistic differences aside, would we all be quite happy?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Let me put it this way: if Morin realistically ended up the player Manson is, some stylistic differences aside, would we all be quite happy?
I think he has a little more potential, but yes. Especially if the guys up top are as good as I think they are going to be.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I can't see it either, but Tripod and some others have been saying that we could use a vet presence back there, and it makes some sense, especially if MDZ is one of the ones moved out in trade. Nothing long-term or expensive, and we need to focus on that 3C if we are doing anything, but maybe some kind of throw-in on an MDZ+ trade.

I try and get Brodin since he can play the right side. Offer 1st + Friedman or Hagg....their choice. Add Laughton, Cousins, etc... if needed. He has 4 more years left on contract after this year.

Provy Brodin -shutdown pair
Morin Ghost -balanced pairing
Sanheim Gudas -balanced pairing
Manning

Gives us 4 PKers, 3 PP guys. Let's Myers get AHL time and eventually replace Gudas when ready.

It's a pipe dream, but worth a shot. I just hope Hextall does his best to add a good defensive Dman to our D group as well as that much needed #3 C. And expansion is the perfect time to do it.

Last edited:

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Brodin was going to cost a lot even before this season when he was struggling. Now, he's actually playing up to his potential. Though he's played RD in the past, he seems to be a full-time LD this year, and it looks like his game has improved because of it, so I don't know if I'd look to move him from there. If the Wild trade him, it definitely won't be discount. And I think they actually keep him now, given he's been maybe their best d man this year. The Wild are a team I could easily see protecting 4 d men: Suter, Spurgeon, Dumba, Brodin. So they don't need to move him.

I'm also wary of trading for a very expensive LHD anyway, or a very expensive any D. We just have that position on such lock that expending quality assets makes me hesitant. I don't think they would move him for a 20-ish 1st rounder and B prospect either fwiw. If I'm them, I ask for an expansion exempt Sanheim/Morin +. Which should be a no from us. It would solve nothing.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Brodin was going to cost a lot even before this season when he was struggling. Now, he's actually playing up to his potential. Though he's played RD in the past, he seems to be a full-time LD this year, and it looks like his game has improved because of it. If the Wild trade him, it definitely won't be discount. And I think they actually keep him now, given he's been maybe their best d man this year. The Wild are a team I could easily see protecting 4 d men: Suter, Spurgeon, Dumba, Brodin.

I'm also wary of trading for a very expensive LHD anyway, or a very expensive any D. We just have that position on such lock. I don't think they would move him for a 20-ish 1st rounder and B prospect either fwiw.

Any suggestion on who you would add...if anyone?

Ideally, I want a RHD that I can trust with Provy to go against top lines. But hey, maybe Gudas will be that guy.

I just really don't want to waste a protection spot on Manning.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I was down for buying low on Brodin in the offseason but I don't see the appeal of giving up a 1st for him now. He's having the best year of his career on the left side. You switch him back to the right, you might be getting the Brodin of old. With the expansion draft looming, there should be better value in the trade market and if they are trading for a defenseman hopefully it is for a natural right hand shot.

edit- little late

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad