What is Ivan Provorov

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Any suggestion on who you would add...if anyone?

Ideally, I want a RHD that I can trust with Provy to go against top lines. But hey, maybe Gudas will be that guy.

I just really don't want to waste a protection spot on Manning.

I suggested Manson in the off-season but his value is only going up. So he seems like a no.

Florida has to protect Ekblad, Demers, Yandle. They are a team that probably will go 4D and protect Petrovic. That leaves Pysyk available. They can't protect 5 d men; someone is gone. Not a high scoring guy but a stellar possession RD and Florida has been using him in the tough matchup minutes. He could be a really good fit here. Only will be 25, still an RFA. Maybe a 2nd+Hagg (for expansion safety) or something? There's other names, but this is the one that comes instantly to mind.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
No, I think you totally missed the point of MY post.

If you're talking about using that third protection spot on someone not on the roster, you're talking past me, since I'm only referencing Flyers' Dmen on the roster. Hence, missing the point. I agree, it'd be nice to acquire a more talented Dman some team is worried about losing for nothing to fill that 3rd spot.

Should the 3rd spot go to someone more deserving than Manning or MacDonald? Yes.
Is that deserving person in this organization right now? Only if MDZ is resigned before the ED.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I suggested Manson in the off-season but his value is only going up. So he seems like a no.

Florida has to protect Ekblad, Demers, Yandle. They are a team that probably will go 4D and protect Petrovic. That leaves Pysyk available. They can't protect 5 d men; someone is gone. Not a high scoring guy but a stellar possession RD and Florida has been using him in the tough matchup minutes. He could be a really good fit here. Only will be 25, still an RFA. Maybe a 2nd+Hagg (for expansion safety) or something? There's other names, but this is the one that comes instantly to mind.

Manson is just one of those assets who is worth way more to his organization than he is in a trade; akin to Couturier. Would I love to have a top-2 support D that has a fair chance of meshing with Provorov? Sure as hell, but he would cost more than would be reasonable.

I do like the idea of Pysyk though unless they have a better trade available to them.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Florida has to protect Ekblad, Demers, Yandle. They are a team that probably will go 4D and protect Petrovic.

If they go 4D, then what four of these forwards do they protect?

Barkov
Trocheck
Bjugstad
Smith
Huberdeau

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Any guys falling under the radar because of poor play or recovery time from injury? Like Gudas

I think these guys fit the bill atm, though 'expansion' is also a reason for some of them:

Centre:

Namestnikov (dropped down line-up)
Jarnkrok (playing 4th line)
Lowry (will likely be exposed)
Tierney (will likely be exposed)
Girgensons (will be exposed, down line-up)

Wingers:

Nestrašil (healthy scratch atm)
Jaškin (will likely be exposed, has not got real chance yet)

Defensemen:

Orlov (will likely be exposed)
Marincin (will be exposed)
Dumoulin (could well be exposed)
Lindell (likely exposed)
Nemeth (likely exposed)
Johns (Righty, and a Flyers fan! almost certainly exposed)
Pysyk (Righty, almost certainly exposed)
Petrovic (Righty, very likely exposed)

They are all decent to good younger guys... who for one reason or another might be available.

That is probably the group of guys you could realistically go after and get for less than they are actually worth in the next little while.

The only problem with Florida and Dallas with Dmen is they pretty much know they are going to lose one anyway... so they might just say **** it and let Vegas take their pick... as they have multiple guys they would probably like to protect but won't be able to, they likely rather just lose one than possibly two, even if getting value back for one.

Tampa are the same with forwards... and Winnipeg to a lesser extent, though that is questionable really, they might trade a forward if get decent offer due to expansion.

Last edited:

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
I think these guys fit the bill atm, though 'expansion' is also a reason for some of them:

Centre:

Namestnikov (dropped down line-up)
Jarnkrok (playing 4th line)
Lowry (will likely be exposed)
Tierney (will likely be exposed)
Girgensons (will be exposed, down line-up)

Wingers:

Nestrašil (healthy scratch atm)
Jaškin (will likely be exposed, has not got real chance yet)

Defensemen:

Orlov (will likely be exposed)
Marincin (will be exposed)
Dumoulin (could well be exposed)
Lindell (likely exposed)
Nemeth (likely exposed)
Johns (Righty, and a Flyers fan! almost certainly exposed)
Pysyk (Righty, almost certainly exposed)
Petrovic (Righty, very likely exposed)

They are all decent to good younger guys... who for one reason or another might be available.

That is probably the group of guys you could realistically go after and get for less than they are actually worth in the next little while.

The only problem with Florida and Dallas with Dmen is they pretty much know they are going to lose one anyway... so they might just say **** it and let Vegas take their pick... as they have multiple guys they would probably like to protect but won't be able to, they likely rather just lose one than possibly two, even if getting value back for one.

Tampa are the same with forwards... and Winnipeg to a lesser extent, though that is questionable really, they might trade a forward if get decent offer due to expansion.

Why would a team just let a player go? It's possible to get decent value back, no?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Why would a team just let a player go? It's possible to get decent value back, no?

For example take Florida.

Say they protect 7F, 3D.

Say the D they protect are Ekblad, Yandle and Demers.

That leaves Petrovic and Pysyk available for Vegas to take.

Option 1: Trade one for prospects/picks, and almost certainly lose the second to Vegas.
Option 2: Lose one to Vegas, guarantee keeping the other.

They might rather have say:

Pysyk (lose Petrovic to Vegas)

than

The return for Petrovic (lose Pysyk to Vegas and Petrovic to trade)

Now ofc they could trade both... but then they massively deplete their NHL defense.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
For example take Florida.

Say they protect 7F, 3D.

Say the D they protect are Ekblad, Yandle and Demers.

That leaves Petrovic and Pysyk available for Vegas to take.

Option 1: Trade one for prospects/picks, and almost certainly lose the second to Vegas.
Option 2: Lose one to Vegas, guarantee keeping the other.

They might rather have say:

Pysyk (lose Petrovic to Vegas)

than

The return for Petrovic (lose Pysyk to Vegas and Petrovic to trade)

Now ofc they could trade both... but then they massively deplete their NHL defense.

Ah, right I'm dense. Forgot about the all important requirement of exposing players

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Lol... An Orlov-Gudas pair would be so reviled

See, a guy like Orlov I think is a prime example of a team who may well trade an asset.

If they trade Orlov for expansion exempt assets Vegas then basically have a choice between:

Grubauer (backup or 3rd goalie for them)
Schmidt (bottom pairing Dman who will be 26, virtually no chance of being taken)
Connolly (25 year old 3rd/4th liner)
Wilson (4th liner)

So they may well rather have the return for Orlov and lose one of them than just stand PAT and lose Orlov and keep the rest.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
You know what I have been wondering about is whether we could take advantage of some of these guys who are really deeply into analytics and fleece them. Take someone we have who has strong underlying numbers that don't accurately reflect what we know the player really is and turn him into something better. I'm woeful at all of that, but take Dale Weise - everyone is mentioning how good his possession statistics are, but I haven't seen much production from him offensively or defensively - nothing much is accomplished when he is out there to my eyes. Could we turn someone like that into a more dynamic player whose underlying numbers poorly reflect his actual play on the ice? Of course, Dale Weise isn't going to get us anything, I was just using him as an example because I saw people talking about the possession numbers. But teams like Florida, Arizona, and Toronto (and I'm sure there are others) have really bought into analytics, and I wonder if we could outsmart them. Now this presupposes the idea that there are players for whom numbers just don't apply, and that may not be realistic, I don't know. Just something I was wondering.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
You know what I have been wondering about is whether we could take advantage of some of these guys who are really deeply into analytics and fleece them. Take someone we have who has strong underlying numbers that don't accurately reflect what we know the player really is and turn him into something better. I'm woeful at all of that, but take Dale Weise - everyone is mentioning how good his possession statistics are, but I haven't seen much production from him offensively or defensively - nothing much is accomplished when he is out there to my eyes. Could we turn someone like that into a more dynamic player whose underlying numbers poorly reflect his actual play on the ice? Of course, Dale Weise isn't going to get us anything, I was just using him as an example because I saw people talking about the possession numbers. But teams like Florida, Arizona, and Toronto (and I'm sure there are others) have really bought into analytics, and I wonder if we could outsmart them. Now this presupposes the idea that there are players for whom numbers just don't apply, and that may not be realistic, I don't know. Just something I was wondering.

Weise is a good bottom sixer. Just needs a better C. Put him in Raffl's spot and he'd pick up a good amount of points.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If they go 4D, then what four of these forwards do they protect?

Barkov
Trocheck
Bjugstad
Smith
Huberdeau

In my mind I had them trading Bjugstad. There were rumors over the summer about that. He's the weak link.

Wonder what happens to Marchessault as well...but as has been stated, just cutting losses and expecting Petro to get taken if they expose him and just go 3D is an option. It's their choice really based on how they evaluate all of them and the state of the team.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Does anyone think that this will affect the trade deadline this season... in a sense that teams may be tentative, holding back assets that they believe they might need later to fix their roster for the ED?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Does anyone think that this will affect the trade deadline this season... in a sense that teams may be tentative, holding back assets that they believe they might need later to fix their roster for the ED?

Yes.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Some teams might hold back, but others might be looking to deal guys rather than lose them, and take back UFAs-to-be instead.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Ivan Provorov is what I've been waiting for since I started really following hockey in the early '70s. I played defense and Bobby Orr was my favorite player (even though I hated the Bruins with a passion) and I've been waiting for the Flyers to have their own home-grown superstar defenseman. Provorov is it (or soon will be). Just amazing that he's only 19.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
that play last night when he snuck behind the D on the 4 on 4, brilliance
rightly led to the game-tying goal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad